Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

11 hours ago, xydboy said:

Tried it, it sometimes gives lucid dreams but there are times that it doesn't. GABA and ZMA doesn't have strong evidence on its effects of sleep. Perhaps there are things you should do before sleep to help you get into the mood. Lots of no-nos which you should avoid doing prior to bed.

Thanks man. 

i think it's not about dozing off. 

Its more like for example, I sleep at 1030pm but wake up around 1am to pee. after that I would just lie awake for hours. that sucks. 

39 minutes ago, CamperBoy said:

Thanks man. 

i think it's not about dozing off. 

Its more like for example, I sleep at 1030pm but wake up around 1am to pee. after that I would just lie awake for hours. that sucks. 

Why would you wake up to pee after only 2 1/2 hours after you go to bed?

If you pee when you go to bed, you should have some 5, 6, 7 hours before having to pee again.

Unless you have some urination difficulties, like enlarged prostate, which you should look into.

28 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Why would you wake up to pee after only 2 1/2 hours after you go to bed?

If you pee when you go to bed, you should have some 5, 6, 7 hours before having to pee again.

Unless you have some urination difficulties, like enlarged prostate, which you should look into.

Just an example. Many times I would wake up around 4am to pee too. And then cannot get back to sleep. 

Anyway you have no idea now much water I consume a day. I meal prep and bring out my own food and most of my meals are dry (disgusting sometimes) and I have to water it down at every bite. Imagine a litre of water or more for every meals, (6 meals a day) and not to mention my shakes and other moments when I would drink.

Dont think im concern about peeing or the amount of water I take in per day though. More like how to get into deep sleep. 

10 hours ago, CamperBoy said:

Just an example. Many times I would wake up around 4am to pee too. And then cannot get back to sleep. 

Anyway you have no idea now much water I consume a day. I meal prep and bring out my own food and most of my meals are dry (disgusting sometimes) and I have to water it down at every bite. Imagine a litre of water or more for every meals, (6 meals a day) and not to mention my shakes and other moments when I would drink.

Dont think im concern about peeing or the amount of water I take in per day though. More like how to get into deep sleep. 

Then just make it a point to empty your bladder before bed and restrict the amount of water intake before you sleep. It should be fine given that your gastric emptying rate. If after this you still got issues, then perhaps there might be some underlying medical condition that you should look into.

12 hours ago, CamperBoy said:

It is reasonable to stay moderately hydrated throughout the day.  But during and after meals, the stomach releases acids that help break down the ingested food so that it can be absorbed. Too much water with meals dilutes the stomach acids, so it is not recommended.

23 hours ago, brandon114716 said:

Hey. I've a question about cutting. 

Right now I've been tracking my macros. Does it matter how my daily amount of fats and carbs vary despite hitting my daily protein and calorie intake? If I'm not wrong, it doesn't matter because carbs will make my fuller longer that's all.

If you are cutting, then yes, even if you hit your daily protein intake, the daily amount of carbs still matter. Hope I got your question correctly.

22 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

It is reasonable to stay moderately hydrated throughout the day.  But during and after meals, the stomach releases acids that help break down the ingested food so that it can be absorbed. Too much water with meals dilutes the stomach acids, so it is not recommended.

I don't think water with meals dilutes the stomach acid. First evidence found in rats that withholding of water does not interfere with digestion (http://ajplegacy.physiology.org/content/188/2/327). Second evidence found in humans showed that insignificant changes in pH of gastric juice when water is consumed up to 2 hrs (http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/70/1/6.short). 

7 hours ago, xydboy said:

I don't think water with meals dilutes the stomach acid. First evidence found in rats that withholding of water does not interfere with digestion (http://ajplegacy.physiology.org/content/188/2/327). Second evidence found in humans showed that insignificant changes in pH of gastric juice when water is consumed up to 2 hrs (http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/70/1/6.short). 

Your quoted evidence found in humans does not apply here.  People don't eat during operations, so drinking water shortly before does not affect digestion nor their anesthesia.  Reasonable amount of water ingested with meals is not a problem.  But as I reported, too much water can be. This was the case with CamperBoy, who reported drinking one liter of water or more (!) every meal.

16 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Your quoted evidence found in humans does not apply here.  People don't eat during operations, so drinking water shortly before does not affect digestion nor their anesthesia.  Reasonable amount of water ingested with meals is not a problem.  But as I reported, too much water can be. This was the case with CamperBoy, who reported drinking one liter of water or more (!) every meal.

So then where does this quantifiable amount come from, may I ask? Why not 500ml? why not 823ml? why not 746ml? How much is too much? So lets not forget the animal model, looking at the animal model, the percentage of the lumen content in the stomach consist of 76% of water, which in comparison to what he ate, I believe would be rather similar if not more, assuming he took a mouthful of bite and water consistently. Just to illustrate further, the stomach produces both HCl and bicarbonates. There are "neural, hormonal, paracrine and intracellular pathways involved" when it comes to regulation of gastric secretion (http://journals.lww.com/co-gastroenterology/Abstract/2007/11000/Gastric_secretion.3.aspx). One of the widely researched component would be the presence of acid-sensing ion channels available in the body that plays a role in mediating homeostasis of the lumen (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028390814004602), demonstrating the rigour to maintain pH homeostasis at systemic and cellular level. With these evidences, I'm very sure the integrity of the lumen is not easily perturbed under such situation.

Edited by xydboy

On 6/17/2016 at 11:33 PM, brandon114716 said:

It does? Could you explain how the amount of carbs matter during a cut?

Cause carbohydrates pull in water, and under Institute of Medicine guidelines (forgot the year), carbohydrates take on a AMDR value of 45-65% of daily caloric intake, suggesting that it forms the bulk of your everyday calories. of course the amount of carbohydrate do matter when you want to make the cut, more so when it is the primary provision of glucose which produces ATP for energy. Furthermore, it also influences the amount of output you can push when you are hitting the gym or working out.

7 hours ago, xydboy said:

So then where does this quantifiable amount come from, may I ask? Why not 500ml? why not 823ml? why not 746ml? How much is too much? So lets not forget the animal model, looking at the animal model, the percentage of the lumen content in the stomach consist of 76% of water, which in comparison to what he ate, I believe would be rather similar if not more, assuming he took a mouthful of bite and water consistently. Just to illustrate further, the stomach produces both HCl and bicarbonates. There are "neural, hormonal, paracrine and intracellular pathways involved" when it comes to regulation of gastric secretion (http://journals.lww.com/co-gastroenterology/Abstract/2007/11000/Gastric_secretion.3.aspx). One of the widely researched component would be the presence of acid-sensing ion channels available in the body that plays a role in mediating homeostasis of the lumen (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028390814004602), demonstrating the rigour to maintain pH homeostasis at systemic and cellular level. With these evidences, I'm very sure the integrity of the lumen is not easily perturbed under such situation.

There is little to no information of what constitutes "drinking too much water" during meals.  Your quoted articles don't shed any light on this.  There is some statement from the Mayo clinic that water won't dilute stomach acids, but it is not specific, and there is much controversy. There is agreement on drinking water 30 minutes before, and 60 minutes after,  but not on drinking it during the meal. 

One reads about the complexity of the mechanism that keeps the stomach acidity to the right pH.  So it is hard to imagine that this acidity can easily remain the same if one adds one liter of water to the stomach.  I stand by my opinion that while some water can be fine,  one liter is too much and totally unnecessary. 

If I am wrong, I rather am wrong on the cautious side.

14 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

There is little to no information of what constitutes "drinking too much water" during meals.  Your quoted articles don't shed any light on this.  There is some statement from the Mayo clinic that water won't dilute stomach acids, but it is not specific, and there is much controversy. There is agreement on drinking water 30 minutes before, and 60 minutes after,  but not on drinking it during the meal. 

One reads about the complexity of the mechanism that keeps the stomach acidity to the right pH.  So it is hard to imagine that this acidity can easily remain the same if one adds one liter of water to the stomach.  I stand by my opinion that while some water can be fine,  one liter is too much and totally unnecessary. 

If I am wrong, I rather am wrong on the cautious side.

But still it doesn't correspond to the findings of the animal study which I cited. Just to reiterate, the purpose of the study has many aims, one of which was to understand the influence of water intake during the meals on the food intake. With the contents amounting to approx 75% of water, the findings suggest that the availability of water during eating seem to exert little effect on digestion. When you spoke about agreement and statement from the clinic, those are just anecdotal evidence? 

Furthermore, there was reason to look at the pre-operative study, and that is to observe the body at resting state. If we do not know what is it like at resting state, then on what grounds are we able to observe and extrapolate findings in the presence of feeding. At resting state, with no food, even with the consumption of 400ml of water, didn't influence the gastric volume of 20ml, and the pH level (given dilution of 20ml:400ml=1:20). So if we were to extend it out to the presence of food consumption, the secretion of gastric juices would have been more (up to 100ml), and even if the water volume doubled (close to 1L), it wouldn't influence the change in pH. So if we look at equilibrium state of pH change, you would need 10 fold dilution to change pH level of 1, so even in the presence of 20 fold dilution (as shown in the pre-operative study), the body was still able to maintain the pH, goes to show the capability of the buffering system and the efficiency of maintaining homeostasis. Even if we go for the conservative level of 50ml in the presence of food, and consumption of 1L, which is essentially 1:20, it will be just like the case of the pre-operative study. In addition, this findings are in agreement withe the animal study, suggesting that the consumption of huge amount of water would not influence digestion. And to triangulate the findings, the body has a complex system that is able to keep the stomach in the right pH. So all in all, I rest my case with the conclusions made by the evidence I have submitted.

47 minutes ago, xydboy said:

But still it doesn't correspond to the findings of the animal study which I cited. Just to reiterate, the purpose of the study has many aims, one of which was to understand the influence of water intake during the meals on the food intake. With the contents amounting to approx 75% of water, the findings suggest that the availability of water during eating seem to exert little effect on digestion. When you spoke about agreement and statement from the clinic, those are just anecdotal evidence? 

Furthermore, there was reason to look at the pre-operative study, and that is to observe the body at resting state. If we do not know what is it like at resting state, then on what grounds are we able to observe and extrapolate findings in the presence of feeding. Etc, etc...

The animal study you quoted is restricted, with public access only to the abstract.  But the abstract already tells that it studies the effect of water withholding, not water flooding. So it does not apply here.  The pre-operative study does not extrapolate well to the case of feeding, because no food is there in the stomach.

It is well known that the speed of water absorption by the digestive system varies with the amount of food in the stomach.  With empty stomach it takes up to a few minutes, with a full stomach it takes close to an hour, because of the simultaneous process of digestion.  Even on an empty stomach, too much water at a time is not well absorbed.

I stand by my recommendation to only drink water in moderation during meals.

On 6/19/2016 at 10:54 PM, Steve5380 said:

The animal study you quoted is restricted, with public access only to the abstract.  But the abstract already tells that it studies the effect of water withholding, not water flooding. So it does not apply here.  The pre-operative study does not extrapolate well to the case of feeding, because no food is there in the stomach.

It is well known that the speed of water absorption by the digestive system varies with the amount of food in the stomach.  With empty stomach it takes up to a few minutes, with a full stomach it takes close to an hour, because of the simultaneous process of digestion.  Even on an empty stomach, too much water at a time is not well absorbed.

I stand by my recommendation to only drink water in moderation during meals.

There are ways to get the full article, just got to sci-hub it. Anyway its written "free access to water" in the actual article, no limits are set. Just to reiterate, the study had 2 groups of animals, one they controlled water, they didn't allow consumption of water while the other they allow free access of water. Like I've mentioned, just in case you do not understand my view point, we have to look at the body when it is empty. So the pre-operative study shows the human body function at baseline, with no food. It would be good to see how the body functions without food first, otherwise how else can we do a comparison without a baseline? After that we look at the animal study, where food and drinks are given. Food is limited, water is free access. So both of them shows the same results, pointing to the fact that digestions does not get affected through the presence of excess water. The calculations have to be done using baseline because its only fair to based on it at equilibrium state first, otherwise after adding the stimulus, we wouldn't know how much change it would be. So given that, 1:10 fold is required to change the pH, even at rest, with no food, a 1:20 fold dilution didn't result in a change. More so if food is to be added (given that secretion of gastric acid would increase in the presence of food).

Excerpts from the article:"There is remarkable similarity in the rates at which the meal is digested, regardless of the availability of water during eating. About one-half the amount of the food eaten was digested in approximately 2.5 hours after eating regardless of the amount eaten. Digestion was substantially completed in both groups about 9 hours after eating as judged by the food remaining in the stomach. The withholding of water during meals does not appear to interfere with digestion but it does reduce the intake of food and presumably decreases the appetite.

The percentage of water in the intestinal contents varied little during the course of digestion, in spite of the differences in the amounts of food eaten during the meal, nor did it make any great difference whether or not water was freely available during the meal. There was a very small increase in the ratio of water:solids in the intestinal contents immediately after the meal, coinciding with the discharge of pancreatic juice caused by the stimulus of feeding (I 2)." 

I'm quite curious on the statements that you made, it seem rather inconsistent or confusing.. First you said,"But during and after meals, the stomach releases acids that help break down the ingested food so that it can be absorbed. Too much water with meals dilutes the stomach acids, so it is not recommended". So now I've shown that the presence of food with excess water doesn't interfere with gastric acid secretion, I even used a the chemical calculation at equilibrium to put forth the argument that excess water will not disrupt the secretion of gastric acid (have yet to get inputs from you, if you think it will get diluted then show me mathematically). And now you talk about,"..., too much water at a time is not well absorbed". So are you concerned about gastric secretion or water absorption or are you talking about gastric emptying? They are all different terms and should not be used interchangeably. So what I did essentially was to demonstrate that even in the presence of food and regardless of water consumption, gastric secretion will not be affected, and that there are sensors in the body that will adjust for any changes in pH level. If you are concerned with gastric emptying then its a different argument and should not be put together, lest the topic gets convoluted.

3 hours ago, heliumduck said:

i dont technically approve the form....

but what do i know, i hardly do this move !

Haha, then why do you not technically approve the form, given that you question yourself and you hardly do this move? Judging from the face and form, seems like she is struggling with it. But yes, this is the downside of using hands on the bar. Would have been ideal if they have a t bar handle. Some gyms have that and it enables you to have a wider distance between the bar and yourself. Otherwise, you might need to compromise a little in terms of spine inclination, just to prevent the weight from smacking to your body.

19 hours ago, xydboy said:

There are ways to get the full article, just got to sci-hub it. Anyway its written "free access to water" in the actual article, no limits are set. Just to reiterate, the study had 2 groups of animals, one they controlled water, they didn't allow consumption of water while the other they allow free access of water. Like I've mentioned, just in case you do not understand my view point, we have to look at the body when it is empty. So the pre-operative study shows the human body function at baseline, with no food. It would be good to see how the body functions without food first, otherwise how else can we do a comparison without a baseline? After that we look at the animal study, where food and drinks are given. Food is limited, water is free access. So both of them shows the same results, pointing to the fact that digestions does not get affected through the presence of excess water. The calculations have to be done using baseline because its only fair to based on it at equilibrium state first, otherwise after adding the stimulus, we wouldn't know how much change it would be. So given that, 1:10 fold is required to change the pH, even at rest, with no food, a 1:20 fold dilution didn't result in a change. More so if food is to be added (given that secretion of gastric acid would increase in the presence of food).

-------  etc. etc.

I fail to see what is so relevant in this 60 year old article that studies rats.  Same with the article from the anesthesiologists. I doubt that someone here wants to become a gastroenterologist expert in stomach acidity, and all we want to do is get an idea of how to do better.  For this, all we need to do is apply some simple principles of physics and chemistry applied to acid solutions.

When we ingest food there is a secretion of acid to bring the pH of the food in the stomach to less than 2. Now imagine, if in between our bites of food we dump into the stomach a full 8 ounce glass of water,  we will immediately swamp the container (stomach) with water of pH 7,  and instantly the pH of the mixture has to go up, reducing the acidity. The stomach may secrete more acid to make up for this,  but this will take its time.  One liter of water is FOUR full glasses of it,   What is the dynamics of all this?  here is where the speed of water absorption plays a role.   Without digestion going on, water is absorbed in a few minutes, mostly through the intestine.  With food inside and digestion going on, this absorption is much slowed down, so this one liter of water ingested with the meal lingers around much longer. The more acid required to bring the pH down below 2 seems like a waste, and how fast it will go down is a guess.  In any case, it is an indisputable fact that water dilutes an acid solution.

Additionally, even on an empty stomach water needs some time to be processed and if we drink to much at once, all we do is having to piss more.

With the complexity of our digestive system to keep everything at optimum functioning, it is easy to see that our best approach is not to exaggerate, and keep our drinking with meals down.  What's the purpose of doing otherwise?

2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I fail to see what is so relevant in this 60 year old article that studies rats.  Same with the article from the anesthesiologists. I doubt that someone here wants to become a gastroenterologist expert in stomach acidity, and all we want to do is get an idea of how to do better.  For this, all we need to do is apply some simple principles of physics and chemistry applied to acid solutions.

When we ingest food there is a secretion of acid to bring the pH of the food in the stomach to less than 2. Now imagine, if in between our bites of food we dump into the stomach a full 8 ounce glass of water,  we will immediately swamp the container (stomach) with water of pH 7,  and instantly the pH of the mixture has to go up, reducing the acidity. The stomach may secrete more acid to make up for this,  but this will take its time.  One liter of water is FOUR full glasses of it,   What is the dynamics of all this?  here is where the speed of water absorption plays a role.   Without digestion going on, water is absorbed in a few minutes, mostly through the intestine.  With food inside and digestion going on, this absorption is much slowed down, so this one liter of water ingested with the meal lingers around much longer. The more acid required to bring the pH down below 2 seems like a waste, and how fast it will go down is a guess.  In any case, it is an indisputable fact that water dilutes an acid solution.

Additionally, even on an empty stomach water needs some time to be processed and if we drink to much at once, all we do is having to piss more.

With the complexity of our digestive system to keep everything at optimum functioning, it is easy to see that our best approach is not to exaggerate, and keep our drinking with meals down.  What's the purpose of doing otherwise?

If you said that it is an undisputed fact that it will dilute acid solution, then show it. I have shown it that it would not be easy to dilute to that low, and digestion is not interfered in the process. If you think that my calculations are over-simplified or wrong in certain context, then show me what is right. Assuming that it will be diluted, the question is how long it will stay diluted? You talk as if the body is that dysfunctional, taking ages to respond to the fluctuations in the pH level. The GI tract has its own enteric nervous system linking to the CNS. This also plays a role in gut motility/gastric emptying. So if you acknowledge the speed at which gastric emptying takes place, then you have to acknowledge the rate at which it senses the change in pH and make the correction given they they all are 'run' by the same nervous system pathway. Via vagal stimulation, the rate of sensing and changing wouldn't take very long. I do not want to go into the specifics as I do not intend to make this my thesis topic. Have loads of writing to do on my side, feel free to look for free version of this article (http://physrev.physiology.org/content/75/1/155.short). Just FYI why older studies do on rats, back then technology wasn't as good, and ethics board will never let you go around cutting open humans after "water boarding" them.

3 hours ago, xydboy said:

If you said that it is an undisputed fact that it will dilute acid solution, then show it. I have shown it that it would not be easy to dilute to that low, and digestion is not interfered in the process. If you think that my calculations are over-simplified or wrong in certain context, then show me what is right. Assuming that it will be diluted, the question is how long it will stay diluted? You talk as if the body is that dysfunctional, taking ages to respond to the fluctuations in the pH level. The GI tract has its own enteric nervous system linking to the CNS. This also plays a role in gut motility/gastric emptying. So if you acknowledge the speed at which gastric emptying takes place, then you have to acknowledge the rate at which it senses the change in pH and make the correction given they they all are 'run' by the same nervous system pathway. Via vagal stimulation, the rate of sensing and changing wouldn't take very long. I do not want to go into the specifics as I do not intend to make this my thesis topic. Have loads of writing to do on my side, feel free to look for free version of this article (http://physrev.physiology.org/content/75/1/155.short). Just FYI why older studies do on rats, back then technology wasn't as good, and ethics board will never let you go around cutting open humans after "water boarding" them.

Want me to show it?  Well, then bring me your stomach.  We will put a pH meter in it, make you eat some food,  then make you drink a liter of water, and see what happens. I'm sure that the acidity goes down immediately after adding all that water. 

What were your calculations?  What have you shown?  You have quoted some obscure articles, of which I have little access because I don't subscribe to their organizations. Maybe the stomach dumps enough acid to make up for the additional liter of water, but how long will this take?   

On 21/06/2016 at 2:02 AM, xydboy said:

Haha, then why do you not technically approve the form, given that you question yourself and you hardly do this move? Judging from the face and form, seems like she is struggling with it. But yes, this is the downside of using hands on the bar. Would have been ideal if they have a t bar handle. Some gyms have that and it enables you to have a wider distance between the bar and yourself. Otherwise, you might need to compromise a little in terms of spine inclination, just to prevent the weight from smacking to your body.

because IMO the angle made at the hip is too high liao, she can afford to bent over more as she is lifting the bar off the floor upwards

unlike a proper T-bar setup where the plane of the bar and the lifter is taken care of

i guess there are variations to doing bent over rows also....

for makeshift Tbar as such, the shorter the person + the wider the plate = disadvantageous to the short lifter as the distance travel is much shorter

hence guys must take care of their cock ;)

On 6/23/2016 at 10:26 PM, heliumduck said:

this IMO is much bettter

He does lifts heavy, really admire the amount of effort that he puts in. Would have been better if scapula was fixed and retracted prior to doing the movement. Different school of thought perhaps?

On 6/22/2016 at 4:50 AM, Steve5380 said:

Want me to show it?  Well, then bring me your stomach.  We will put a pH meter in it, make you eat some food,  then make you drink a liter of water, and see what happens. I'm sure that the acidity goes down immediately after adding all that water. 

What were your calculations?  What have you shown?  You have quoted some obscure articles, of which I have little access because I don't subscribe to their organizations. Maybe the stomach dumps enough acid to make up for the additional liter of water, but how long will this take?   

Apologies for late response, have been very busy with my writing. What I've mentioned was about comparing the ratio of acid secretion based on what was posted. Like I have mentioned, if you do not have access, then just sci-hub it - they will give you the full article for viewing (google if you have no idea what sci-hub is). Apart from the articles, I've managed to catch a conversation lately with internationally reputable nutrition researcher Alan Aragon and have spoken to him about this topic. He has also concurred with my findings. Its interesting that you choose to agree with the fact that gastric emptying does occur but then when I cited on the gastric secretion and the change in pH (both of which are being controlled by the same enteric nervous system that controls gastric emptying), it is not acknowledged. Cheery picking I see?

20 hours ago, heliumduck said:

full extension of the muscle perhaps

Usually we would recommend to "anchor" the scapula and prevent it from moving especially during rows just to prevent any possible impingement in the future. Even during my research trials, my prof and I agreed that the scapula should be retracted into a "back and down" position during the engagement of the shoulders during the lat pull down and shoulder press.

44 minutes ago, xydboy said:

Usually we would recommend to "anchor" the scapula and prevent it from moving especially during rows just to prevent any possible impingement in the future. Even during my research trials, my prof and I agreed that the scapula should be retracted into a "back and down" position during the engagement of the shoulders during the lat pull down and shoulder press.

so you reccomend the same for 1 arm DB row i assume ?

4 hours ago, heliumduck said:

Quite interesting, good effort but still a long way at trying to copy what humans are given. The muscular system is quite hard to mimic because of the properties the sarcomere (basic unit of muscle) have. This uniform product shown doesn't reflect the fast/slow twitch fibres that muscle have. Furthermore, the lack of a nervous system doesn't allow good control of force. But sure, a good start..

4 hours ago, heliumduck said:

so you reccomend the same for 1 arm DB row i assume ?

Yeap definitely worth considering, especially given that its single arm, and shoulders can get injured easily with that amount of workload placed on the shoulder joint.

snake-oil_502913ef22085.jpg

There are a lot of fad diets and articles out there that tell you which commonplace and obscure supplements you should be adding to your diet. But how do you discern the genuine from the bullsh*t?

This graph by David McCandless, which he posted to visual.ly in 2012, ranks hundreds of health supplements based on the amount of scientific research backing their big claims. The graph only used data from human trials that used a random placebo-control method. Supplements with the strongest evidence backing them are placed at the top. Working your way down the graph, the supplements are backed less and less by conclusive evidence.

The larger the circle, the more often it is searched for on Google, acting as an indication of how big the buzz around the health supplement is. According to the graph, the circles shown in orange highlight health supplements that haven’t had much scientific research, but potentially show “promising results.”

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/see-which-health-supplements-arent-backed-by-science/

On 6/30/2016 at 2:34 AM, teatree said:

Anyone do abs cable pulldown?  I don't seem to completely isolate movement of the hip.  

I now do cable pull-down abs, after seeing a video of a guy doing them in one of these threads.

It took me a while to make the crunch with good isolation, without going back on the legs.

My aim is to touch my legs with the elbows without hitting my head on the floor.

I like this exercise, and I think it is effective.

My only issue is that I reached the weight that balances the weight of my body.

To increase weight, I will have to put on a backpack with weights,

or put some plates on my lower legs, or whatever.

Or eat a lot of fried chicken with french fries, hamburgers, to gain weight...

1 hour ago, heliumduck said:
the machine is more interesting than him....

Yes, much more interesting.  There is one identical machine by Hoist in my gym which I used for several years.  It works very well.  But now I use a cable cross machine with adjustable arms made by FreeMotion which is very versatile, working the biceps one at the time pulling up, and triceps one at the time pulling down.

On 02/07/2016 at 11:12 AM, Steve5380 said:

Yes, much more interesting.  There is one identical machine by Hoist in my gym which I used for several years.  It works very well.  But now I use a cable cross machine with adjustable arms made by FreeMotion which is very versatile, working the biceps one at the time pulling up, and triceps one at the time pulling down.

GPGT !!!
haha

in other videos, new deadlift PR for you?

20 hours ago, heliumduck said:

GPGT !!!
haha

in other videos, new deadlift PR for you?

LOL!  How does it feel sitting down in the metro with this contraption on?  

I never try to exercise by lifting miscellaneous objects,  only with good form in the gym.

But if the need arises, the golden rule is:  keep the weight as close to your body as possible.

On 6/25/2016 at 8:12 AM, xydboy said:

Apologies for late response, have been very busy with my writing. What I've mentioned was about comparing the ratio of acid secretion based on what was posted. Like I have mentioned, if you do not have access, then just sci-hub it - they will give you the full article for viewing (google if you have no idea what sci-hub is). Apart from the articles, I've managed to catch a conversation lately with internationally reputable nutrition researcher Alan Aragon and have spoken to him about this topic. He has also concurred with my findings. Its interesting that you choose to agree with the fact that gastric emptying does occur but then when I cited on the gastric secretion and the change in pH (both of which are being controlled by the same enteric nervous system that controls gastric emptying), it is not acknowledged. Cheery picking I see?

Apologies for my late response.  I thank you for making me aware of the sci-hub.  At first I found that this hub had been closed down by the pressure of academic publishers, but I found a way around.  Now I have been downloading a bunch of articles I always wanted to read. With this, the issue of acid secretion has gone way down the priority list, so I will hold on with that since I see no urgency in resolving it.  Thanks again!

38 minutes ago, xydboy said:

Nobody take video for me, so I won't be posting any, Haha, why? you want to take the video for me? I'm soooo unlike those guys you have posted.

Now you made us all curious.  Maybe you are much, much better than all of them.  Or maybe you have three legs and two noses? :)

13 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Now you made us all curious.  Maybe you are much, much better than all of them.  Or maybe you have three legs and two noses? :)

Or maybe i'm just too busy to take them, unlike the rest of the guys, who are more hardworking when it comes to preparing, filming, editing, etc. LOL! *roll eyes*

23 hours ago, xydboy said:

Nobody take video for me, so I won't be posting any, Haha, why? you want to take the video for me? I'm soooo unlike those guys you have posted.

8 hours ago, xydboy said:

Or maybe i'm just too busy to take them, unlike the rest of the guys, who are more hardworking when it comes to preparing, filming, editing, etc. LOL! *roll eyes*

contradiction much, but hey challenge accepted

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.