Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

On 3/20/2017 at 10:52 AM, Perception said:

I suffered from chronic back pain (not slip disc), caused by bad posture & overtraining over the course of 2 years. I suspect that back squat is the main cause of injury. The pain only started becoming unbearable since 5 months ago, so much that sitting/sleeping position is enough to trigger it. Afterwards, I visited the therapist and avoided back-injury prone exercises. 

Before my injury, I have been following stronglifts 5x5. There is only some slight back tension when doing back stretches which I think has not fully recover yet. What would be the best strength-training programmes to follow, without straining the back? Should I continue avoiding back/leg exercises for a few more months? 

The good thing is that with small adjustments in the posture of squatting you can resolve the source of pain in both the back and the knees. I speak from experience, where after decades of squatting and experiencing limiting pains I have found my ideal posture, and the pains are something of the past (I hope).

It is hard to put a good posture in words, and it depends also on the person.  Things like squatting while maintaining the same position as standing erect, with the difference that the legs bend at the hip joint, and bending the knees not much more than 90 deg. Like shamelessly sticking out the ass to the back like sitting down on a hard bench.

Squatting on a Smith rack is commonly demonized, but I have found it to be the best way to try out new postures and recover from injuries with a minimum risk of hurting again the back and knees, and if a good posture is found on this rack...  it is not a bad idea to continue doing it there even if people look down on it.  Strong back and legs free of pain are worth much more than what people may think about the Smith rack.

Edited by Steve5380

@Steve5380 Yup, I did not stick out my hips enough when doing back squats. I read somewhere that the main culprit for back injury in squats is not the problem of bending knees until the toes, but rather it is the hips, although they are quite interrelated. Not to sure about smith machines though (read somewhere that the movement is bad), but I can try. 

@heliumduck Only this section of BW is worth commenting.

I hit (sort of) a plateau for squats because of the pain, about 100 kg 5x5, while for deadlifts I hit 140kg 5 reps I think. I never once skipped leg day (3~4 times a week in the program of 5x5) before my back was injured. Bodyweight is about 65kg ~ 68kg that time.

Edited by Perception

16 minutes ago, Perception said:

@Steve5380 Yup, I did not stick out my hips enough when doing back squats. I read somewhere that the main culprit for back injury in squats is not the problem of bending knees until the toes, but rather it is the hips, although they are quite interrelated. Not to sure about smith machines though (read somewhere that the movement is bad), but I can try. 

Smith racks may not be available in every gym but if yours has one, give it a try.

Their advantage is that the bar has only one degree of freedom: up and down.  This means that you can position the feet further to the front without concern of the backwards force that would make you fall if the bar were not supported by its guides. This means that one does not need to bend forwards to maintain equilibrium, and your posture can be closer to vertical, or any other that feels good to your body.  

The most common criticism of this rack is that because it is so safely guided, there is less need for stabilizing muscles and they don't get the same workout as with a free bar. (the typical concern when exercise machines are compared with free weights).  But this should only concern some competing bodybuilders. And,..  who wants to be a competing bodybuilder ??  Those of us who are attracted to male physiques like STRONG legs much more than HUGE legs, which often look like deformities brought about by obsessions. 

11 hours ago, Perception said:

I hit (sort of) a plateau for squats because of the pain, about 100 kg 5x5, while for deadlifts I hit 140kg 5 reps I think. I never once skipped leg day (3~4 times a week in the program of 5x5) before my back was injured. Bodyweight is about 65kg ~ 68kg that time.

Given that you need to watch your form, I wouldn't want to sacrifice safety. What can be done is just simple regression. Back squats (or sometimes front squats) are the last thing to teach if the person has posture problems. One approach is that we can do a regression to shape the desired movement out. First regression that we would do is the wall sit, followed by goblet squats. For more specific or other regressions that we can do for squats, refer to the list in the link (reference: http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/List-of-Progressions.pdf). The key movement that we want to see is the hip hinge. At times, to train that movement, we might need to do some other forms of mobility drills or pelvic tilts on the floor, just to get you familiar with the movements. Its important to not just address the lack of movement or cues, but also to examine the mobility of the hips. Its quite one sided to just evaluate based on the lack of movement cues itself.

Once you achieved such stuff, then you can move on to more complex routines such as complex training, partial reps, etc. Or even higher intensity training such as smolov.

Edited by xydboy

36 minutes ago, xydboy said:

Given that you need to watch your form, I wouldn't want to sacrifice safety. What can be done is just simple regression. Back squats (or sometimes front squats) are the last thing to teach if the person has posture problems. One approach is that we can do a regression to shape the desired movement out. First regression that we would do is the wall sit, followed by goblet squats. For more specific or other regressions that we can do for squats, refer to the list in the link (reference: http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/List-of-Progressions.pdf). The key movement that we want to see is the hip hinge. At times, to train that movement, we might need to do some other forms of mobility drills or pelvic tilts on the floor, just to get you familiar with the movements. Its important to not just address the lack of movement or cues, but also to examine the mobility of the hips. Its quite one sided to just evaluate based on the lack of movement cues itself.

The List-of-Progressions is an interesting article. Thank you.

The wall sit, goblet squats are good choices to do at home or if a Smith rack is not available.  The second best choice in a gym is the horizontal leg press, the best of the leg presses, which allows for about the same movement without having to rub against a wall and which can be loaded with heavy weight.

Other good lower body exercises besides squats are the walking lounges with heavy dumbbells in the hands  and the stiff-legged deadlifts for strong lower back, both contributing to nice looking butt and back. :) 

Edited by Steve5380

5 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

The List-of-Progressions is an interesting article. Thank you.

The wall sit, goblet squats are good choices to do at home or if a Smith rack is not available.  The second best choice in a gym is the horizontal leg press, the best of the leg presses, which allows for about the same movement without having to rub against a wall and which can be loaded with heavy weight.

Other good lower body exercises besides squats are the walking lounges with heavy dumbbells in the hands  and the stiff-legged deadlifts for strong lower back, both contributing to nice looking butt and lower back. :) 

Those are good recommendations as well. However, to properly train the movement and activation of the hip hinge movement, it would be ideal to perform using free weights. The machines are good at activating the agonist muscles, but they would not be able to train the hip hinge movement that efficiently.So the idea is to try and get the body to be accustomed to the hip hinge. Hence I proposed some of the mobility drills as well.

However I would want to be careful with the lunges. Tendency for people to not perform them in the right manner is high. Just like the abs machine, where people are not able to work and recruit the muscles in the right manner (blind trunk flexion). Nevertheless, when taught properly, the lunges becomes a very good exercise, particularly at recruitment of the glut max and glut meds. People always neglect these muscles and it becomes apparent whenever they do simple bodyweight lunges.

One other thing to note is that for injuries, it would be interesting to look at one joint above and one joint below. Chances are when injuries occur, joints that are meant to be mobile/stable are not doing the right role. So I wouldn't want to put the eggs into one basket and affirm that issues stem from the movement alone. Posture is a holistic topic and proper address of mobility and stability should also be considered.

On 22/03/2017 at 11:54 AM, Perception said:

the fact you can say that to steve and understand the nexus means you know your problem liao, hip mobility huh ?

its amazing how you can only squat 100 5 reps when you can pull 140 kg DL :o

its not useful to ask why you are on 5x5 for a 67kg (median) person squatting 100 kg and you do legs 3/4 days a week

drop all your number chasing focus on your foundation and means everything ah.......

work on your core

mobility

stretch.. ya der ya der you get the idea

as you can tell i am not the least bit as technical as steve and xyd shifus, but you know im like you #firsthandexperience so i can comment

nothing wrong with lunges, actually i also should do more #HAIZ

Guest Luckyboi90
On 6 October 2009 at 0:51 PM, Utopaen said:

Young guys will build faster due to their levels of testosterone and metabolism being higher, it's would be hard for an older guy to build as fast unless you are genetically gifted.

basically the big three exercises will raise ur levels of testosterone and metabolism which in the long run will help in muscle building. A good side effect is that you will feel more horny. haha

but yar, older guys will prob take longer times. Plus, after gymming for about a year and speaking to quite a number of trainers and friends, i also realised that the younger crowd is more willing to experiment with steroids. so when u see sudden massive growth, it might be because of that rather than their age or training methods.

I think diet is the key thing here, if you have not been eating a high protein diet..then must start. I've seen gym mates who have been working out for years and they are rather nice and lean toned, but cannot get massive. the minute they start whacking proteins, the growth is immediately obvious. :)

All I can say is, continue to work hard in the gym and read up on various kinds of workouts u can do, even for squats and deadllifts, there are many variations that you can use.

What are the three exercise?

On 3/25/2017 at 10:34 PM, Guest Luckyboi90 said:

What are the three exercise?

11 hours ago, heliumduck said:

bench

squat

deadlift

Actually the idea of "chasing the hormonal ghost" has always been a debate. There are studies to support the notion that hormones are correlated rather than an issue of causative when it comes to muscle protein synthesis.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/04/2017 at 1:14 AM, xydboy said:

Have always been trying to bring this across but nobody ever listens...*sigh*

I think the problem is we have too much temptation for food in SG. Also, i guess a recommendation based on what you can eat based on coffeeshop / hawker centre will be more practical. Most recommendations are really very western cusine which is hard I guess for Asians to do. My personal POV.

I have been trying to keep a visual track of what I eat and figure out the calorie. and totally avoid snacking. still there are days, when I can't just resist the sake and ramen.

23 hours ago, heliumduck said:

This video "Remember who you are"... "will is the key"...  "I can do that shit"... blah, blah, blah, 

This may be some seductive poison for naive ambitious youngsters...

No abuse of heavy weight is worth getting injured, especially injuries that stay forever.

Only inexperienced fools think that they have no limits.

The wise approach is to  "push your limits",  not exceed your limits.

13 hours ago, sman.sg said:

I think the problem is we have too much temptation for food in SG. Also, i guess a recommendation based on what you can eat based on coffeeshop / hawker centre will be more practical. Most recommendations are really very western cusine which is hard I guess for Asians to do. My personal POV.

I have been trying to keep a visual track of what I eat and figure out the calorie. and totally avoid snacking. still there are days, when I can't just resist the sake and ramen.

Why should there be more temptation of food in SG?  Maybe because it is expensive?

I never heard about any differences between the digestive systems of Asians and Westerners.

18 hours ago, sman.sg said:

That's why health promotion board in singapore has been trying to do - contextualising the types of food and to remind people about the calories, salt, oil, etc that is in the local food. As with temptations, its everywhere, not just in singapore. Recommendations for healthy food is subjected to your own taste buds. Nothing to do with either western or asian food. Just got to do a simple search and there will be it local or asian healthy food available.

9 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Why should there be more temptation of food in SG?  Maybe because it is expensive?

I never heard about any differences between the digestive systems of Asians and Westerners.

haha, guess it's me. Personal fight against temptation all that delicious of food in sg. 

On 4/23/2017 at 6:31 PM, sman.sg said:

haha, guess it's me. Personal fight against temptation all that delicious of food in sg. 

There is delicious food everywhere, not just in sg.

So you may not be able to escape your temptation, haha.

On 4/29/2017 at 11:35 PM, EugeneSin said:

What's the best workout to build inner chest muscle ?

For me its close grip bench press with arms & elbows parallel to the bar. I use a grip spacing of about 12 inches. Can't go heavy with this exercise. Usually I do 10-12 reps per set.

On 4/30/2017 at 0:35 AM, EugeneSin said:

What's the best workout to build inner chest muscle ?

Don't just focus on the inner portion, for your case, you would also want to develop the entire pectoralis major muscle itself. Bench (incline, flat), flyes are the best in fact. Because the main movement of the chest muscle is the movement simulated of the flyes. Refer to youtube for many other variations of the flyes. You can also work using slow movements (slow negatives), focusing on the downwards phase (perhaps trying 10 secs of the downward phase and 2-3 secs of the upward motion). Main purpose is to create more muscle damage, thereafter helping in growth.

Guest Oldfit
On 4/23/2017 at 9:31 PM, Steve5380 said:

This video "Remember who you are"... "will is the key"...  "I can do that shit"... blah, blah, blah, 

This may be some seductive poison for naive ambitious youngsters...

No abuse of heavy weight is worth getting injured, especially injuries that stay forever.

Only inexperienced fools think that they have no limits.

The wise approach is to  "push your limits",  not exceed your limits.

I agree but it's difficult to forget where's one's limits sometimes. If once a day is good, then twice a day is better. If pain is good, more pain is better. Where's the limit?

I like to push myself till I'm sore the next day. Initially I don't see myself bulking up even though I looked into the mirror everyday to check my progress. 

Then one day when I visited Tenmen sauna and found myself not particularly popular. I thought, "shit man, this place only like bears and I'm not bear." Then this beefy guy was touching me and we moved to the upper deck room with full mirrors. I looked at the mirrors in the dim light and saw two bears making out. Then I realised, holy shit, is that me against the beefy guy? I'm almost as beefy as he is. I can recognise myself but I never compare myself with others because I exercise at home because of time. No wonder he hit on me and there were times when guys commented that I'm heavy. I felt like we were G-men making out.

Even thought I'm turned on by those G- men of Tagame's manga, I thought they are too big and clumsy so I exercise to aim to be hunky and fit. I always thought that I'm hunky and fit but now then I realised I've overshot my target.

I started to do less heavy exercises and eat less and let my 6 packs pop up. They did pop up but I lost my bulk too. I got more popular as guys looked at my six packs. But I felt like I don't exercise as much and seldom get that high from sore muscles. I looked in the mirror and felt that I'm smaller now.

I felt that I like myself better when I'm beefy and bulky. So now I just go with my feeling and push my limits. I gained back very quickly. I like looking like a G-man but again if I keep going like this I'm going to get bigger and bigger beyond being a G-man.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:48 AM, Guest Oldfit said:

I agree but it's difficult to forget where's one's limits sometimes. If once a day is good, then twice a day is better. If pain is good, more pain is better. Where's the limit?

I like to push myself till I'm sore the next day.

-----

If you exercise the muscles regularly they should not feel sore the next day.  Even working them out once a week should keep them adapted to the weight. If you are an "Old fit", it is even smarter not to overdo it. Are you addicted to the "high" of the workout? 

If you are in your 60s and beyond it may be sufficient to keep the musculature you have and not work towards ever increasing weights. Find the exercises that best appeal to you and don't worry about constant changes but be comfortable with same routine, same weights, aiming at reaching the best form of each exercise. In this way you also don't need to worry about getting any injury. BIG may not be compatible with FIT.

After heading to the gym at a more regular rate now, and knowing how to do some workouts for some muscle groups only.. I've forgotten most of the exact term so I'll use the generic terms :)))

The exercises that I'm doing so far :

Triceps - Right now I'm just doing the triceps push down with ropes, but my form is still a little inconsistent

I'm only doing this to train triceps because triceps extensions seems to hurt my elbows (or the muscle that's close to the elbows).. is there any other workout that is elbow friendly?

Chest - Bench Press is the only thing I know how to do properly.. :( Somehow can't see much result. Not so sure on how to do the cable fly well.

Biceps - I'm doing preacher curls with machines and sometimes doing normal bicep curls with barbell/dumbbell

Back - I don't really know how to train this properly, I only use the machine once in awhile..

Legs - Leg Extension and Squat(without weights) hurts my knees like cray after one or two sets.

Core - hahahaha im kinda fat so I gave up with this one, usually just plank but probably not done correctly.

I'm not sure if I'm growing or achieving any results, so I'm here to ask for some advice / guidance :)

1) Should I increase the reps, weight, or sets I do for each work out? I don't increase the weight often since I'm not really confident. For example, I've been lifting like 7kg dumbbells for like more than half a year with increased reps and sets overtime,  and only recently increased to 10kg recently.

2) Should I try other form of workouts/techniques or stay to the exercises that I am comfortable with?

3) How often should I gym? As of now, I work out 2~3 times a week for about 1 to 2 hours each time.

4) Is it suitable for me to take supplements? If so, any recommendations?

I have bad sleep cycles due to school as of now, so I'm not sure if that's one major factor that causes my body to feel sore for two to three days..

Any advice would be good too, thanks!

Edited by Gray32

Holy mama.

58 minutes ago, Gray32 said:

After heading to the gym at a more regular rate now, and knowing how to do some workouts for some muscle groups only.. I've forgotten most of the exact term so I'll use the generic terms :)))

The exercises that I'm doing so far :

Hide contents

Triceps - Right now I'm just doing the triceps push down with ropes, but my form is still a little inconsistent

I'm only doing this to train triceps because triceps extensions seems to hurt my elbows (or the muscle that's close to the elbows).. is there any other workout that is elbow friendly?

Chest - Bench Press is the only thing I know how to do properly.. :( Somehow can't see much result. Not so sure on how to do the cable fly well.

Biceps - I'm doing preacher curls with machines and sometimes doing normal bicep curls with barbell/dumbbell

Back - I don't really know how to train this properly, I only use the machine once in awhile..

Legs - Leg Extension and Squat(without weights) hurts my knees like cray after one or two sets.

Core - hahahaha im kinda fat so I gave up with this one, usually just plank but probably not done correctly.

I'm not sure if I'm growing or achieving any results, so I'm here to ask for some advice / guidance :)

1) Should I increase the reps, weight, or sets I do for each work out? I don't increase the weight often since I'm not really confident. For example, I've been lifting like 7kg dumbbells for like more than half a year with increased reps and sets overtime,  and only recently increased to 10kg recently.

2) Should I try other form of workouts/techniques or stay to the exercises that I am comfortable with?

3) How often should I gym? As of now, I work out 2~3 times a week for about 1 to 2 hours each time.

4) Is it suitable for me to take supplements? If so, any recommendations?

I have bad sleep cycles due to school as of now, so I'm not sure if that's one major factor that causes my body to feel sore for two to three days..

Any advice would be good too, thanks!

WHY ? can you feel the contraction ? try DB kick back, try ropes variation (pull down) hands face each other, pull to your side

bar variation is push down, both also keep elbos tight to your ribs

your triceps are tight, hence the strain is probably on the elbow, stretch and roll
try DB varations, kick back or go learn skull crushers/ supine tri extension with db or EZ bar

use DB, push ups, super set, flyes, just whack

cables - flat level, top down, bottom up

got feel contraction not?

use DB, just whack

try hammer curls, EZ BAR

go and do pull ups aim to reach 50 reps
5 set of 10-12 also can/ pull untill you hit 50 also can/ use assisted machine @ 25% your BW

it should hurt your quads

why no lunges ? got spotter for your squat?  got learn DL ?

Aim barbell squat first, is not just do bodyweight or hold DB at the side for now

i got no 6 pack, so cannot comment

8 minutes ago, heliumduck said:

WHY ? can you feel the contraction ? try DB kick back, try ropes variation (pull down) hands face each other, pull to your side

bar variation is push down, both also keep elbos tight to your ribs

your triceps are tight, hence the strain is probably on the elbow, stretch and roll
try DB varations, kick back or go learn skull crushers/ supine tri extension with db or EZ bar

use DB, push ups, super set, flyes, just whack

cables - flat level, top down, bottom up

got feel contraction not?

use DB, just whack

try hammer curls, EZ BAR

go and do pull ups aim to reach 50 reps
5 set of 10-12 also can/ pull untill you hit 50 also can/ use assisted machine @ 25% your BW

it should hurt your quads

why no lunges ? got spotter for your squat?  got learn DL ?

Aim barbell squat first, is not just do bodyweight or hold DB at the side for now

i got no 6 pack, so cannot comment

Sankiew for da feedback.

Triceps

Any dynamic stretches you would recommend for triceps? Mmmm I'll try to research on those variations!

Back

25% of BW?! omg ;_; thats not enough for meh.. I doing like close to 40% BW atm HAHAHA.

Chest

i dont get the cables part :( super set, flyes? 

Biceps

Yes biceps I do feel contraction, but Idk. still small and tiny, although some people say that its bigger than before now.

Legs

Oh quads uh..I see. Lunges makes me unable to walk for 3 ~ 4 days properly :) Just learned the form of dead lift recently but havent try with heavy weights. 

No spotter :') no frens for dat.

Holy mama.

1 hour ago, Gray32 said:

Sankiew for da feedback.

Triceps

Any dynamic stretches you would recommend for triceps? Mmmm I'll try to research on those variations!

Back

25% of BW?! omg ;_; thats not enough for meh.. I doing like close to 40% BW atm HAHAHA.

Chest

i dont get the cables part :( super set, flyes? 

Biceps

Yes biceps I do feel contraction, but Idk. still small and tiny, although some people say that its bigger than before now.

Legs

Oh quads uh..I see. Lunges makes me unable to walk for 3 ~ 4 days properly :) Just learned the form of dead lift recently but havent try with heavy weights. 

No spotter :') no frens for dat.

as along as you can feel the contraction, if cannot means youre doing it wrongs

tricep stretch, put over your head and stretch lor

ask your friend pull you apart, legs also can at the inner thigh :P

whats so hard about cable flyes? if ndunno then just stick with pec deck /flye machines

Just now, heliumduck said:

as along as you can feel the contraction, if cannot means youre doing it wrongs

tricep stretch, put over your head and stretch lor

ask your friend pull you apart, legs also can at the inner thigh :P

whats so hard about cable flyes? if ndunno then just stick with pec deck /flye machines

i scared i do wrong and paiseh.. for cable flyes..

at the triceps part.. what..

I think it didnt contract enough though. ahaha

Holy mama.

Just now, Gray32 said:

i scared i do wrong and paiseh.. for cable flyes..

at the triceps part.. what..

I think it didnt contract enough though. ahaha

for chest, the aim is to contract DUH

so you use your arms/biceps, as you pull together, squeeze your elbows together to squeeze your chest, if need to turn your wrsit in to meet each other
if cannot then, go pump more using weights then come back to cables and try to feel the contraction again

cables easiest to feel contraction de for chest

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, phoenixorder said:

hello, any recommendations if I wanna tone up?

I'm aiming for a toned body but not too buff.
Are protein shakes neccessary or just energy boosters are sufficient.

Thanks

Kindly do a search on the forum. This has been mentioned many times across the years. Just to highlight again, it is not necessary. If you are not eating right, you eat whatever heavenly supplement, it would not be useful. Most importantly get your main diet right.

8 hours ago, phoenixorder said:

hello, any recommendations if I wanna tone up?

I'm aiming for a toned body but not too buff.
Are protein shakes neccessary or just energy boosters are sufficient.

Thanks

If you don't want to come out too buff, no supplements are necessary.  Just a healthy diet, eating regular meals many times a day.  Protein shakes are not bad as long as you know what is in this "protein" and it's not loaded with other stuff.  Egg whites and dairy products are less expensive source of protein that is not altered.

For boosters, boost consistency and intensity of workout by cultivating good discipline.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Guest Cute Instructors to check said:

Hotties worth checking out: especially when they can help to sculpt the body too: http://bit.ly/2jMVwA9

Better keep body building and hotties checking separate.

Body building needs concentration and focus,  it is not something to put the mind in blank. Thinking about hotties does not help the lifting of weights.

And it is nice to enjoy eye candy without having to worry about the body building.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.