Male HQ

Legendary Songs, Legendary Singers

You Raised Me Up

You Raised Me Up is one of the few very moving and inspirational song.

It was first written by Secret Garden, an Irish instrumental duo as an instrumental piece; the lyrics were added in later when it was released in 2002.

But it was Josh Groban's version in 2003 that not only shot him to fame, it also made this song popular in the US and all over the world.

Later. Irish pop group Westlife also recorded this song in 2005 where it went straight to No.1 in the UK chart

Personally, I prefer the Westlife's version as its more comptemporary and has a less gospel feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quZTdeUgiV8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1_MydgRFZw

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of songs do you guys sing and listen to when you were kids?

I noticed the young children nowadays are listening to pop songs by boy bands and Wonder girls, songs by Britney Spears and Jay Chou!

10 years old kids!

And some with even with Ipod!

Mum and dad when playing and singing with me when I was a kid, will sing the following songs.

Hope today's kids will listen more to these "wholesome" songs

Come on guys, be a child again and sing along!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw7lxdiL7NI

Guest guest

Yes, I agreed with you. Westlife rendition seems much better although Josh's version was the first that caught my attention. In fact, some of westlife cover version are much better than the original singer. This boys group really can sing well and nt just pretty faces

Teresa Teng - Forever Chinese Pop Diva 永远的天后 - 邓丽君

Terasa Teng 邓丽君 was not only famous within the international Chinese community, she was also very famous in Japan.

There were other singers that managed to break into the Japanese market like 欧阳菲菲,翁倩玉, but Teresa was the most popular and she even managed to appear several times in annual New Year Eve TV programme Kōhaku Uta Gassen (紅白歌合戦).

Only the best and most popular artistes in Japan were allowed to take part in this programme where the artistes were divided to male and female group to compete for the annual title.

空港 (Airport) was her first Japanese hit that shot her to fame in Japan and established her superstar status in the very congested and tough Japanese market.

She went on to record several more Japanese hit songs of which most were also sung in Mandarin covers.

One of the final Japanese songs recorded by her was 時の流れに身をまかせ, the immensely popular Chinese version - 我只在乎你.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7iQdjxTQio

Yes she is my all time favour . Now still listening to her songs. Sad to say, current singers are not that great as yester-years. Alot of them rely on packaging now and now true vocal talent.. the "ou xian" type ( idol type). A couple of other good and versatile singers from taiwan are Fei Yu Ching, Feng Fei Fei. Chai Chin is good but only on slow tracks

Teresa Teng 邓丽君

1953 - 1995

During the mid 80s, Teresa Teng recorded a very unusual record 淡淡幽情.

I believe any serious Teresa Teng fan would have this album!

In this record, all the lyrics were verses taken from famous ancient Chinese poems during the Tang Dynasty.

She had some of the most famous composers like 刘家昌,to compose the tunes for these verses.

There are altogether 12 songs in that album and the most popular song is this one - 但愿人长久.

Pop queen Faye Wong 王菲 did a cover for this song in the late 90s which became one of her most popular hit.

During the Mid Autumn Festival, you can always hear this song played over the radio.

In this clip, you can see Teresa giving a brief intro to the the poet and the poem before the song.

Another lovely song from the album is this one - 独上西楼.

For the song intro, she sang in A capella, which clearly define the poet's loneliness, helplessness and sadness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIAIp9vKJss

Teresa Teng 邓丽君

1953 - 1995

cont.

Teresa's most popular song that almost every Chinese knows how to sing.

Even our late former President Ong Teng Cheong played this song on the piano during a charity show on TV.

月亮代表我的心 The Moon Represents My Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97-GXzi6PPw

Teresa sing in Cantonese- 忘記他

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvp6TTb680

Edited by cock brand

The Rolling Stones

They are often billed as The Greatest Rock And Roll Band in the World!

Indeed.

This British band started in 1962 and had not stop performing since. Their performance spans across 3 generations of music listeners!

And their lead singer Mick Jagger or sometimes known as rubber lips had been the lead singer all this while.

Like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones were first popular in Europe and it was during the British Invasion in the early 60s that they became popular in the US.

To date, they had sold more than 200 albums worldwide, making them one of the best selling rock group in history.

Mick Jagger should be almost 70 now but he still sing well and still very agile on stage.

I believe he should the oldest still active rock singer today. Rock On Old Man!!

Satisfaction - their signature song!

Honky Tong Woman - another biggest hit

Edited by cock brand

Songs that can really stir your emotions.

Reflections Of My Life

Everytime when I listen to this old song, I can still deeply feel the despair, desperation and pain of a young man caught in an extremely reluctant and desperate situation and cannot get out.

This song was released during the height of the Vietnam War in late 60s.

Young men were conscripted and sent to strange land far far away to fight a war they don't know for what and why.

Some were probably high school kids from a nice suburb neighbourhood one day and the next, they were fighting for the own lives in some hot and humid mosquitoes infested tropical jungle.

Many died or lost in action while some came home handicapped from the war.

Oh my sorrows, sad tommorrow

Take me back to my own home

Oh my crying , feel I'm dying, dying

Take me back to my own home

The world is a bad place, a bad place

A terrible place to live

Oh but I don't wanna die ...

Those words were clear enough to show the predicament of those innocent young men, not knowing if they could ever see tomorrow, yearning to go back home.

However, Reflections of my life can also be seen as song about someone having a hard life yearning for the good old days and better times

Edited by cock brand

Guest Guest

Teresa Teng 邓丽君

1953 - 1995

During the mid 80s, Teresa Teng recorded a very unusual record 淡淡幽情.

I believe any serious Teresa Teng fan would have this album!

In this record, all the lyrics were verses taken from famous ancient Chinese poems during the Tang Dynasty.

She had some of the most famous composers like 刘家昌,to compose the tunes for these verses.

There are altogether 12 songs in that album and the most popular song is this one - 但愿人长久.

Pop queen Faye Wong 王菲 did a cover for this song in the late 90s which became one of her most popular hit.

During the Mid Autumn Festival, you can always hear this song played over the radio.

In this clip, you can see Teresa giving a brief intro to the the poet and the poem before the song.

For the song intro, she sang in A capella, which clearly define the poet's loneliness, helplessness and sadness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIAIp9vKJss

THANKS FOR THE MEMORY !!!

Guest guest

I don't know about you guys, but I always felt Theresa Teng is still the best all time mandarin female singer. Even current female singers can't compare to her.

A very beautiful song by Cat Stevens - Morning Has Broken.

Morning Has Broken is quite an unusual song.

It is actually a popular Christian hymn. British folk singer Cat Stevens recorded it and released the song in his pop album and it topped the UK charts.

Cat Stevens was one of the greatest British musician/folk singer during the 70s but at the height of his successful singing career, he quited show business and converted to Islam.

According to his own account, he was swimming in the sea and was nearly drowned. He made a pact with God at that moment that if he is saved, he will work for Him.

And miraculously, a huge wave appeared and carried him back to shore.

Cat Stevens is now known as Yusof Islam.

Hymn - Morning Has Broken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V3n9SyL1eU

Edited by cock brand

Without You

Most people thought 'Without You" were originals by Air Supply or Mariah Carey.

I guessed it was because both versions were released about the same time in the early 90s that caused the confusion.

Actually, the song was composed and first recorded by a British rock band Badfinger way back in 1970.

It was later covered by Harry Nilsson who made this song a popular international hit one year later.

In my opinion, the best version is the one by Nilsson and Mariah Carey.

The vocal range for this song is so wide and I think they both managed the high notes so effortlessly.

Without You by Nilsson

Without You by Mariah Carey

• 2 weeks later...

American Pie

American Pie was the signature song of folk pop singer Don Mclean in the early 70s.

This song was dedicated by Don Mclean to Buddy Holly (Peggy Sue) and Ritchie Valens(La Bamba) who died in an air crash, remembering "The Day The Music Died".

In year 2000, pop queen Madonna did a cover of this song in a shorter version and recorded it as a dance pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNdEu9s5qUU

Rotaredom, that Boulevard song is awesome! Haven't heard it for the longest time and I was forced down memory lane the moment I clicked on the video your posted. :)

Cock Brand, the song by Marmalade that you posted up there....one of my all time favorites. You're right about the Vietnam War connection. It serves as a good reminder the abject destruction that wars could bring to the minds of our youths, and yet, we still refuse to learn. Sigh!

OK! Here's my contribution. I'm thinking a thread like this would not be complete without the sheer mention of Simon and Garfunkel. The Boxer is definitely one of their best songs in my book.

Better the Devil you know than the Angel you don't...

Hey Thanks Rotaredom.

Well, for me, I do listen to a pretty wide range of music, current and oldies, and am glad to know that there are people here with similar interest. :)

I love musicals and concerts too. Whenever I'm in London, I'll always try to catch a musical or a concert there, its so very much cheaper!

On a weekend, let us leave the sad songs aside and listen to something soothing and lifting.

What A Wonderful World By Louis Armstrong.

What A Wonderful World By Micheal Buble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chvXXEAbX1s

Guest asperger

Anyway, I'm referring to Can't Cry Hard Enough by the Williams Brothers. Simple lyrics and haunting melody... One of my all-time favourite songs :)

yes, yes, that s a real lovely song; one that often makes me tear. that song has been covered by many people; the ones i have heard besides the original are: bellefire (an irish all-girl group) and southern sons (an australian all-boy band). whatever the version, have never heard one that i didn t like. it s probably cos the lyrics can be interpreted on a few levels; especially love these lines:

"gonna open my eyes and see for the first time / i ve let go of you like / a child letting go of his kite / there it goes up in the sky / there it goes beyond the clouds / for no reason why / i can t cry hard enough / no, i can t cry hard enough / for you to hear me now"

of especial note is another version by victoria williams, an american singer who suffers from multiple scleriosis. her very touching rendition of the song was used as a tribute to victims of 9/11. the accompanying tribute video can be seen here:

http://www.jontzen.com/tributes911/tribute.htm

btw, if you re looking for the cds, the bellefire one can still be found in some - very few - cd shops here; the southern sons one, i haven t seen in a while, but i vaguely remember last seeing it in some cd shop's discount bin; the williams' brothers' version is impoossible to find in its original album but i recently bought a compilation cd just for that song - first love; and i ve never seen the victoria williams one, either here or in the cd shops i ve been overseas.

• 5 weeks later...

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

The song was popularized by Roberta Flack in 1972 and it became the breakout hit for the her.

The song went on to win the Grammy Award for Song of the Year three years later.

George Michael in 1999 released an album "Songs From The Last Century" consists of several old standards and this song was one of them.

His interpretation and the music arrangement IMO is simply the best, soft and soothing and yet just powerful enough to set the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JWAmF-Z4r4

• 3 weeks later...

Come Together

Come Together, an old song released by the Beatles in the late 60s given a new makeover by none other than the King Of Pop, Micheal Jackson.

And its one of those very few songs that the cover version is better than the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmjZ8kLSRdQ

Edited by cock brand

但願人長久

王菲 Faye Wong

明月幾時有

把酒問青天

不知天上宮闕

今夕是何年

我欲乘風歸去

唯恐瓊樓玉宇

高處不勝寒

起舞弄清影

何似在人間

轉朱閣低綺戶照無眠

不應有恨何事長向別時圓

人有悲歡離合

月有陰晴圓缺

此事古難全

但願人長久

千里共嬋娟

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIdDASnirbY

中秋佳节,

但願人長久

千里共嬋娟

• 4 weeks later...

Subaru 昴-すばる / 星

One of the all time favourite Japanese song among all J-pop fans in Asia.

The song was first released by Tanimura Shinzi 谷村新司 in 1980.

I think this must be also one of the most popular Japanese song sung in karaoke here, always heard someone singing it in any karaoke session.

At the 2010 Shanghai Expo Opening Ceremony, Tanimura Shinji was invited to perform and he presented his signature song.

For an entertainer in his mid 60s, he is still so graceful and his voice is still as powerful.

The other clip is also a live performance in 1982 by late Teresa Teng 邓丽君 in a solo concert in Hongkong.

She sang the song in both Japanese and Cantonese.

Both were live recordings, both so superbly performed and absolutely flawless; that, only really great singers can deliver.

Edited by cock brand

Any ideas which singer who sang

in A capella version of Teresa song, once i was in chinatown ever heard a female singer sing Acapella version of any teresa song but i went up the stair to ask but the sale staff say dun know.

• 1 month later...

Finally, one of my favourite singer is coming to town!

He is the baby faced tenor, "The Voice Of a Generation", Russell Watson.

Whether it is an everygreen or a classical number, he never fail to enchant with his great flawless voice.

Here we have, live recording of his performance of old song "Volare" and another, "Music Of The Night" from Llyod Webber's musical, The Phanthom Of The Opera.

Enjoy with me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This year, there will be many international artistes coming to perform a live concert here, many are my favourite.

Beside Russell Watson which I had mentioned earlier, we will be having Santana, Don Mclean, Michael Buble, Janet Jackson, Eric Clapton and The Eagles, all coming within the first quarter!

So many shows, so little time and sooo expensive!

So far, already booked tickets to watch 3 of them, and one of which is The Eagles Long Road Out Of Eden Concert next month.

The Eagles is one of the best selling American Rock band and have sold more than 120 million albums worldwide and had earned 6 Grammy Awards.

Hotel California was one of their greatest hit and that album sold more than 16 million copies and also won the Record of the Year Grammy in 1977.

The band were eventually inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

There are simply so many wonderful songs by them and here are two of my favourite to share - Hotel California & Love Will Keep Us Alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIURlnIrErE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqTLlHkfSC4

Michael Buble

This Canadian bloke had sold more than 25 million albums worldwide and performed soldout concerts all over the world; not bad at all for just singing a selection of contemporary hits from the past.

And he is good!

Of course, he was also very fortunate to have David Foster as his producer, a multiple award winner who had worked with so many A-listers and superstars.

With Michael Buble, David used just a very simple formula which propelled Michael from a plain looking aand unknown lounge singer to an international artiste.

He capitalized on Michael's good singing voice, selected a range of great hits of yesteryear, add in big band sound, add in sleek musical arrangement and voila, a best seller was born!

The two following are just samples of that.

Crazy Little Thing Call Love - a live performance with the big band sound, a nice rock and roll number that make you really wanted to jive.

Save The Last Dance For Me - Oh, I just love that sleek tempo and the Rumba beat.

Hope he will be singing all these songs in his coming concert here in March.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqFr6sF0jo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest russellluver

Finally, one of my favourite singer is coming to town!

He is the baby faced tenor, "The Voice Of a Generation", Russell Watson.

Whether it is an everygreen or a classical number, he never fail to enchant with his great flawless voice.

Here we have, live recording of his performance of old song "Volare" and another, "Music Of The Night" from Llyod Webber's musical, The Phanthom Of The Opera.

Enjoy with me.

Star Trek Theme, Faith of the heart...damn I love Russell!

望春风 Spring Breeze

An old but a very beautiful Taiwanese song sung in Minan dialect.

This song had been recorded countless times in the last few decades by almost every Taiwanese singer including big names like Teresa Teng, Feng Fei Fei and Jenny Tseng.

Here, the song is given a refreshing update by two very different artistes.

陶喆, or David Tao's version starts with a very catchy a capella R&B style, complete with an all male 3-part harmony backing.

The other is very soothing contemporary jazzy instrumental version by Kenny G, with the song name appropriately translated to Spring Breeze

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSmSIXmkgQM

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Valentine Day

A beautiful song dedicated to all those love birds here, wishing them all the love they were wishing for.

Those not in love yet, well, don't despair, it could be awaiting for you just round the corner.

愿天下有情人,终成伴侣。

Lover's Concerto by Kelly Chen 陈慧琳 and the original 1965 version by The Toys.

• 2 months later...

Jacky Cheung 張學友

Jacky Cheung's coming concert this August at the Singapore Indoor Stadium has been touted as unprecedented and an incomparable feat by an Asian Artiste to perform five consecutive nights.

Indeed, this concert, Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour will commemorate his 25th successful year in show business after winning an amateur singing contest in Hong Kong in the mid 80s.

In the 90s, he was already enjoying immense popularity in Asia, and together with Andy Lau, Leon Lai and Aaron Kwok, were named by the media The Four Heavenly Kings 四大天王.

Among the Heavenly Kings, he was considered having the best vocal and was also nicknamed "God of Songs (歌神).

During his career, had recorded numerous hits songs and selling more than 60 million records, appeared in several movies and even starred in one Cantonese Broadway-style Musical - Snow.Wolf.Lake 雪狼湖.

Going to this coming concert will be my third, including his Musical Snow.Wolf.Lake.

Among all his hit songs, the following ones are some of my favorites, hope you guys like it too.

• 4 months later...
  • Guest locked this topic