Male HQ

Be Ur Own Boss Or Work For Someone?

cubby74

I left corporate life after a retrenchment 5 years ago and started my own restaurant for over 2 years. I will say that it was extremely satisfying where u worked for yourself. But it was financially draining. For two years of no income, and losses in the business, I will say that it has cost me more than a master degree at Harvard.

The experiences I have gained were invaluable. But since I returned to the corporate world, I will say that the mindset and views are different. Wont say it is for better or worse though, it is all a matter of perspective.

If you think you have a winning formula for setting up a food business, make sure you have enough coffers to last you through the period. Food businesses are not as simple as they look, and given the competition in singapore, I will advise that you look at other businesses that will potentially give u a better return.

So far, we always see those successful businessmen being featured on newspaper or TV but we seldom see those who failed. There are more people who failed in their small businesses.

Just observe the change of restaurants/retail shops in shoppin malls or HDB hubs and you will know. Many people failed and landed up in huge debts then go back to work to repay their debts. Very poor thing.

"Do what you wanna do in life despite what others say, it's your life anyway."

Guest 40 plus

Totally agree with you guys, for every success story we know there are probably 100 of others who fail to make it.

Not sure why most why people want jump into food business, maybe it is the easier to startup compare to other business. Sometimes I really pity those newly open restaurant in a odd location and with poor business. How come they didn't do enough homework about that particular location?

Maybe they already know but still want to gamble. Worst of all if you open one in a mall, the rental is likely to be contract for up to 12 months. The landlord is quite happy to collect their rental and see you bleed to death every month.

• Guest locked this topic