Male HQ

When And Why Did You Start Smoking?

Guest smokergay

Guest smokergay

I started as a casual smoker during uni days. the first few cigarettes did nothing for me and i was just smoking for fun. but once in awhile, i lighted up during stressful or moody periods and felt that they help me to relax and i got high temporarily. when im into my first career, i started to smoke on a regular basis and became a full time smoker. before long, i got addicted and was smoking several sticks a day. all along i know that smoking is harmful, but i give in to addiction.

i decided to cut down when i began to experience effects like running slower and having worse skin conditions. now im already three weeks without a single puff and psychologically i feel better and hope that i will have the discipline to quit.

when and why did you start smoking? are you a ex-smoker or are thinking of quitting like me now? share your stories.

Good topic :)

I picked up smoking when my schoolmate when smoking over a supper and offered me one... for the sake of learning more about cigarettes (Quite a number of family and friends smoke), I picked it up... he taught me how to, you know get the smoke into your lung lol, and the effect got me quickly I was going a bit dizzy (or high depend on how you define it) when we were on the way to friends home...

I didn't really smoke since then until one or two years later on another occasion another friend offered me cigarettes... and then I sorta picked it up as a "social activity"~

That was the time when I smoke less than 10 cigarettes per year... later on a friend who smokes sorta "encouraged" me to get ciggies from Malaysia and we smoked and drank like crazy during that period of time... It was also the time when I was stress from my research work and would smoke once every other day~

As the friend left my workplace, I'm back to the social smoker status... once in a while I would smoke with a few smoker colleagues...

Somehow my mind manages to link smoking with drinking along the way... nowadays the urge of smoking hits me whenever I drink but unless I have some smoker friends around I won't smoke... so I'm now purely social and alcohol-activated smoker, though at times when my mind gets caught up by stuff I would wish to have one in my hand haha~

The problem with social smoking is that you don't see the need of "quitting" though it actually isn't much of a good thing to smoke socially either~

• 7 months later...

started smoking late, after NS in fact... started with a stick, then 2, then more... i went to a vocational institution and it became regular when more and more smokers surround me. that was when i was 23.... i was smoking 10 sticks a day when they were still selling the 10-sticks packs... (i wanted my cigarettes fresh daily...) hence, no leftovers...

when i started working, it became a big pack a day, whenever i drink, after meal and party... health took a toll, coughing more, bad skin and weight loss. Then one fine day in April 2007, cigarettes started to taste stale, i cut down drastically from 20 sticks to 10, then 5 then 1... it has been almost 5 years now... i am happy i quit! less burden on pocket, no stress to fight with other smokers for smoking table...

• Guest locked this topic