Male HQ

Sri Lanka

Guest Marad44

Guest Marad44
... been to Sri Lanka... What would you like to know?
Thanks Machan. Would you know mountain places in similar rustic nature to Hatton & Haputale? The remote, deserted roads & landscape left ample elbow room for photographic angles. The cold climate suits me better.Best regards, Marad

110324-TrainatYulifield008_01.jpg

The Udarata Menike from Badulla to Colombo passing Hatton.

Edited by Marad44

I have not been to Hatton, only kandy, dambulla, unawatuna and galle. but i think it is near to nuwar Eliya. I think that's where the tea plantation are. Heard they hv beautiful scenery and cool weather. Hoping to go next year.

Sorry can't be of help here.

Thanks Machan. Would you know mountain places in similar rustic nature to Hatton & Haputale? The remote, deserted roads & landscape left ample elbow room for photographic angles. The cold climate suits me better.Best regards, Marad

The Udarata Menike from Badulla to Colombo passing Hatton.

Yup, I've done all that last year and I think it was one of those - okay, been there done that, don't really wanna do that again. But somehow my hubby always manages to persuade me to go to these exotic places (we've just come back from Sapa & Bac Ha in Northern Vietnam).

Have a look here at the Railway time tables: http://www.seat61.com/SriLanka.htm

I have the following advice:

1. Leave plenty of time - Sri Lankan trains do not run on schedule and are subject to a lot of delays.

2. Be warned that during the rainy season, there could be floods and landslides that can cause cancellations of train services.

3. Some of the trains are terribly old and as long as you don't have very high expectations, you won't be disappointed.

4. The train from Colombo to Galle was DREADFUL.

5. Yes it can be cooler but be warned that these places can be quite dreary in the rain - try to avoid the two monsoon seasons (Oct-Nov and Apr-Jun). The best time to visit is Dec - Mar, followed by July - Sept. Trust me, you don't wanna go there when it is pouring with rain.

So do plan your trip to fall during the DRY season - I can't stress this enough! If you're planning to go next year, Jan - Mar is ideal.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions about Sri Lanka.

Guest Marad44
... don't really wanna do that again. But somehow my hubby always manages to persuade me to go...

Thanks Foreign Talent . let me guess, you like the flat sea that reveals as far as the eye can see and your hubby. the undulating mountains that hide the mystery past their peaks.He is probably like me who leaves slots on the schedule for slips and surprises. I suppose the differences compliment & cement you two, seeing that you have been together for few years. :thumb:

Though older, I am the rough and tumble backpacker, given to pillion on motorbike, ride on tractor, boat on the Amazon and leeches up the leg. What you may dislike about Sri Lanka is cool by me. ;)

Edited by Marad44

Thanks Foreign Talent . let me guess, you like the flat sea that reveals as far as the eye can see and your hubby. the undulating mountains that hide the mystery past their peaks.He is probably like me who leaves slots on the schedule for slips and surprises. I suppose the differences compliment & cement you two, seeing that you have been together for few years. :thumb:

Though older, I am the rough and tumble backpacker, given to pillion on motorbike, ride on tractor, boat on the Amazon and leeches up the leg. What you may dislike about Sri Lanka is cool by me. ;)

Not so much that - I like the idea of seeing exotic places, but I am less keen on roughing it out. At my age, I am way too old to do the backpacker's thing lah. (I am 35.) And I earn enough to pay for a decent hotel where I can relax and feel comfortable whilst on holidays.

However, in a place like Sri Lanka, the problem is the lack of decent public transport. The train network is limited and often you have to rely on inter-city buses which can be quite rough and those journeys are horrific. They are hot, crowded and take forever. And some of the places you visit (esp in the cultural triangle) are devoid of 4 star hotels - some of the accommodation can be quite basic and whilst my hubby doesn't mind at all, I am the one who's far more fussy. We've been together for nearly 14 years now, so it's a question of compromise. Different things fascinate us on our travels, for me the greatest attraction is always that of language and the locals - whilst for him, it's more the landscape, the forest & fauna.

I made a valiant effort to study Sinhala before I went to Sri Lanka (I already speak a little Tamil) - and I urge you to do the same, once you get out of Colombo, not many people speak English.

Guest Marad44
At my age, I am way too old to do the backpacker's thing lah. (I am 35.) And I earn enough to pay for a decent hotel where I can relax and feel comfortable whilst on holidays.

Foreign Talent, have you forgotten your jungle training during national service? ;) If you insist on 4-star, not only will Sri Lanka but also outskirts of most countries not suit you. You will require a few doses of tolerance to raise your threshold for discomfort. 35 too old for backpacking? Oh, come on! :P

Edited by Marad44

Foreign Talent, have you forgotten your jungle training during national service? ;) If you insist on 4-star, not only will Sri Lanka but also outskirts of most countries not suit you. You will require a few doses of tolerance to raise your threshold for discomfort. 35 too old for backpacking? Oh, come on! :P

Well let's put it this way, I work hard and have enough money to pay for comfort.

I have an old JC classmate who recently told me that he went backpacking and I was like, HUH? You have a good job, yet you wanna go stay in youth hostels? Like, I know he can afford to pay for a decent hotel ... I have managed to do my big tour of Sri Lanka (Colombo, Cultural Triangle, central Highlands, the deep South) and everything was very basic outside Colombo - but yeah, I'm glad I've been there and done that but I'm not sure I'm that keen to do another holiday like that again any time soon.

• 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.