Male HQ

Meow, The Cat Lovers Thread

MeowPrince

• 2 weeks later...

@meowprince, I learned that my school's Cat Management Network has an active FB and Instagram where they post lots of cute pictures of our campus cats, maybe you can take a look. Haha.

https://merlinsfolio.wordpress.com/

https://medium.com/@merlincheng
"On the Internet, no one knows you are a cat."

@meowprince, I learned that my school's Cat Management Network has an active FB and Instagram where they post lots of cute pictures of our campus cats, maybe you can take a look. Haha.

Yup, I'm well aware of them too.  And I think you may have seen them on our FB cat group too  ;)

Hi everyone,

I was approached and some uncle said don't feed stray cats because they can cause trouble. Such as reproduction and poo everywhere.

So just would like to seek advise. In Singapore are we not allowed to feed stray cats/kittens?

That is utter RUBBISH.  Feeding strays is NOT illegal.  It is littering that is illegal.  Sadly, that said, a number of feeders still refuse to act responsibly, they are mostly elderly ones, but there are also a small handful of young (>21) ones.

If you feed your neighbourhood's strays, make sure that you feed responsibly.  Feed them using disposal trays/plates or recycleable bowls.  Put in that little extra effort to stay on until they have finished eating (its pretty quick actually), then clean up after them.  If you do that and don't leave behind food that will attract roaches/rats/pigeons, then there will be no reason for it to be illegal.  This is also the same advice given by Cat Welfare Society (you can browse www.catwelfare.org for their responsible feeding guidelines), and used as a guide by most town councils.  The same basis of responsible feeding also suggests feeding away from upper floors and corridors, which if done so, will have no issue of animal pee/poo, since the cats would have no reason to wander upstairs.

The general direction that is supported by AVA and town councils, and spearheaded by CWS (it is also the same model used in western countries) is sterilisation.  The TNRM Trap-Neuter-Release-Manage model advocates sterilisation of strays and pets to prevent over-population.  This has already been endorsed by all the major religions as acceptable (again no reason for silly uncle/auntie to claim their faiths are against it).  TNRM has already been ongoing for the last 15 years since pre-SARS as the way to go.  Though it has been only since 2012 that it gained momentum.  CWS is the main driver here, supporting the program, co-funded by AVA, so if you can help to feed and trap the cats in your area, you can approach them for help to get a free slot for sterilisation of the cats at a list of approved vet clinics across Singapore.  

Help this helps.

Instagram @the_meowprince

• 4 weeks later...

This Sunday there'll be a fundraiser event for CWS at the cat cafe Company Of Cats.

89248_zpskpey3oo9.jpg

Do drop by if you are interested.  Supposedly they will have copies of their new coffee-table book up for sale then too.  All proceeds from the sales of the book goes to sterilisation efforts.

Its a good event for real catlovers to visit, as not only will there be CWS members there, a number of experienced caregivers/fosterers will also be there.  Which means, if you'd like to adopt/keep a cat, they will all be there to answer whatever questions you may have.  Come after lunch, enjoy a cuppa there, and chat with the cat people.  And buy a book to support CWS!

• 2 weeks later...

I've received sms from my landlord....

below i quote:

"Was told by residents they will appreciate deeply if your people don't feed the stray cats hazardous and dirty because of the poo they leave behind. Probably better feed them outside or ring SPCA. Thank You."

Well basically I'm staying in an apartment which only has 16 units. and my owner text us forwarding the sms above and ask us to stop feeding... I wonder why people can be so heartless. Cat's are naturally clean, they clean their own poo by covering... haiz... pity my stray cats. :(

What can i do...? 

On 25/01/2016 at 3:32 PM, edatsgloh said:

I've received sms from my landlord....

below i quote:

"Was told by residents they will appreciate deeply if your people don't feed the stray cats hazardous and dirty because of the poo they leave behind. Probably better feed them outside or ring SPCA. Thank You."

Well basically I'm staying in an apartment which only has 16 units. and my owner text us forwarding the sms above and ask us to stop feeding... I wonder why people can be so heartless. Cat's are naturally clean, they clean their own poo by covering... haiz... pity my stray cats. :(

What can i do...? 

You can forward it to Cat Welfare Society either via email or their FB and request for some help - usually in the form of a mediator who will advise the landlord.  Unfortunately, you are on private property (not HDB or under town councils), so there is limited recourse, esp if the landlord/owner wants to be a jackass about it.  

Of course if you have a close friend who is willing is go on social media and advertise the sms...... it may (or not) create a groundswell of publicity.

8 hours ago, ZealousZeno said:

Went to the Cat café at Bugis, lots of harassment & photo shoot meow ~

:clap:  Yeah the cats there are adoptees/rescues, and the owners aren't OCD psychos

Yesterday, when I saw a young guy (haha, not because he was a guy and that was the reason I got attracted) going around HDB flats near my place, I was full of awe.  I salute his kindness, his humanitarian act, his effort and time.  It touched me that a young guy has a golden heart to feed all the strays.  He even stayed awhile to make sure the cats ate before he moved to another block.

Such a beautiful act!

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

3 hours ago, IkuTube said:

Yesterday, when I saw a young guy (haha, not because he was a guy and that was the reason I got attracted) going around HDB flats near my place, I was full of awe.  I salute his kindness, his humanitarian act, his effort and time.  It touched me that a young guy has a golden heart to feed all the strays.  He even stayed awhile to make sure the cats ate before he moved to another block.

Such a beautiful act!

Hope he is a regular AND a responsible feeder.  Too often we have irresponsible feeders who just pour or scoop on the floor and leave it there.  It'll be good to see the less-common responsible ones.  I always use home-made paper trays for my comm cats, and wait to clear up after them.  Feeding even just weekend nights can be very time consuming, a small community of just 5 cats can last over an hour!  I really salute those elderly old-timers who've been doing it for decades - they spend 3-4 hours a night just feeding.  Takes longer if one needs to give medication too!

3 hours ago, ZealousZeno said:

Haha glad I found this tread >~< thanks for creating it ~

The thread is for all meow lovers.  MEOW!

meheheheh.jpg

And for the hardcore catlovers, do drop by CWS' The Society of Cats Charity Purrzaar @ 27 Scotts Road tomorrow afternoon, between 3:00pm and 4:30pm.
There'll be a few "celebrity" rescue cats there you can meet - Dr Noir and Bolster amongst them.  

And of course, the Meowprince will be there in person sometime in that window too....

An excerpt from the evening at 27 Scotts

Featuring the celebrity rescue cat Bolster!

Rescued from the roadside drain along Ubi Road just over three years ago and coated with mud and dirt, Bolster almost did not make it.  After spending some time at the vet, he was lucky enough to find a caring fosterer to take him in, to ensure he gets his meds and controlled diet.  Today, he is a far cry from the bloated, shivering and smelly cat when he was first picked up.  He is still coping with his liver condition, he is blind in one eye, he is FIV positive, and he cannot be exposed to direct sun.  But he has since slimmed down some, and has a loving circle of friends and foster pawrents who love him.  He also pays back to society by being a regular therapy cat for Luv Kuching Project, as well as a poster boy for Cat Welfare Society (he is in the book Society Of Cats).  

You can go to his Facebook page (search Bolster) and watch his tear-jerking video.  Be warned though, keep a box of tissues on hand.

881488_zpsz2ihw8ba.jpg

"I ain't Wonder Womeow, I'm just reggae!"   :D

Be socially responsible.  Adopt, don't buy.
There are many beautiful and affectionate furballs awaiting you and your heart to give to them and take them in.

1150531_zpsozbfrlaq.jpg

Every year, pet shops and breeders (many unlicensed!) sell animals that often end up being abandoned (whether a few weeks or months, or a couple of years).  These poor cats, dogs, rabbits, etc, often have to struggle to fend for themselves.  And depending on their luck, many do not make it.  Whether put down by pest control, or hurt and killed by abusers, or become victims of traffic accidents, the numbers are high.  Animal welfare groups and their volunteers see such pitiful cases all the time, and the sight is usually too gory for public domain (yes, I have seen too many).  And the abandoned cases also add to the strain of community animals when a newcomer goes in to fight for food and space.

So spare a thought - for the animals themselves.  Adopt.  Give the rescues and community animals a chance for a home.  Do Not Buy - for when demand tapers off, then there will be less cats being breed (and less chance of new ones being abandoned).

Sterilisation - 

Did you know that even vets (responsible ones) advocate sterilising your pet?  Because it gives a range of health benefits, beyond the reproduction issue.  Feel free to read the FAQs here ----> http://www.catwelfare.org/faq#t8n72

Other resources :--->  http://www.catwelfare.org/faq

I believe several BWers are also members or supporters of the various welfare groups like NTU's, NUS' cat networks, or Luv Kucing Project, feel free to share your thoughts, first-hand experiences, etc.  Likewise those who have gone to help or visit places like St John Island Cats, or KKB Furries, or Mira Group, etc. ;)