Male HQ

Entry Level Broadband Plan

oralb

helping a friend to choose a broadband plan.

doesnt play online game, causal surfing, email etc

Option 1 - Singnet unlimited 512kbs

$29.95/month

FREE ADSL2+

Ethernet Modem

(24-mth contract)

(anyway i always think Singtel is quite untruthful when it comes to pricing plans, for the above mentioned plan, there is a option of

$34.95/month

FREE ADSL2+ Integrated Wireless Modem

(24-mth contract)

what free? the additional of $5 per month (work up to $120 per contract) is to cover the cost of the wireless modem)

Option 2 - Starhub

MaxOnline FlexiSurf, By Day

Enjoy daily unlimited broadband access at download speeds of up 6,000Kbps with MaxOnline FlexiSurf, By Day at just $2.50 (w/GST) a day. With no contract, you enjoy the flexibility of purchasing usage credits from a minimum of 3 to a maximum of 25 consecutive days. What’s more, you also enjoy ease of payment via either credit card or FlexiCard.

Buying their modem is around $99 ea.

any comments?

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

I would go for Option 3 - Starhub Express @ $58.80 [24 months contract] + Promo

Why?

1. $58.80 x 24 montths + Modem - Cost of Promo = Loss Per Month

$1411.20 + $99 - $1,099 = $411.20 / 24 months = $17.13 per month

Note: This is before GST

2. Higher speed with no cap over 512 SNBB

a. It allows user a free hand with what he wants to do with his internet connection - be it, ready for prawns downloads and/or future gaming. Though, for gaming, a dedicated SNBB is recommended over Starhub.

b. SNBB has a history where, should they decide to reduce the price for that particular plan, contracted customers are stuck with the old price.

3. Cost effective over FlexiSurf.

With unlimited connection, users are less concerned over internet usage. Unless, the individual connects average of 2 days a week.

Consideration:

1. ADSL is dedicated and with a good low phone cabling 'noise', speed is guaranteed.

2. Starhub is on a shared bandwidth. Is your friend's place cable ready?

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

noted iku

the opportunity is based on the free Samsung 29" SlimFit TV , i would think that they mark up the cost of the tv, which can be quite low

example: http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Brand-New-Samsung-2...0QQcmdZViewItem

hence i am thinking more of option 1.

p/s: i find starhub web site extremely user-unfriendly, take this page for example, http://www.starhub.com/portal/site/Online/...00038425a0aRCRD

one glance i would thought that signing a plan (say express), i can get Samsung LCD, HP printer AND wireless router FOC.

unfortunately it is only choose of 1 free gift.

Actually, it depends on what game you are playing.

AFAIK, SH broadband gives priority to gamers, and ups the bandwidth to up to the max for certain games like pangya and maple.

From what I know about Singnet BB, there is a small hidden cost: in addition to the subscription, you also have to pay for telephone rates. It may not amount to much, but those who keep their connection on 24/7 it's quite a substantial amt.

I know, because I use Singnet BB, and I burnt a few splitters, and my wall socket burnt before.

I would go for Option 3 - Starhub Express @ $58.80 [24 months contract] + Promo

Why?

1. $58.80 x 24 montths + Modem - Cost of Promo = Loss Per Month

$1411.20 + $99 - $1,099 = $411.20 / 24 months = $17.13 per month

Note: This is before GST

2. Higher speed with no cap over 512 SNBB

a. It allows user a free hand with what he wants to do with his internet connection - be it, ready for prawns downloads and/or future gaming. Though, for gaming, a dedicated SNBB is recommended over Starhub.

b. SNBB has a history where, should they decide to reduce the price for that particular plan, contracted customers are stuck with the old price.

3. Cost effective over FlexiSurf.

With unlimited connection, users are less concerned over internet usage. Unless, the individual connects average of 2 days a week.

Consideration:

1. ADSL is dedicated and with a good low phone cabling 'noise', speed is guaranteed.

2. Starhub is on a shared bandwidth. Is your friend's place cable ready?

ADSL speed is not guaranteed, IP traffic (Internet Traffic) are all best effort. You subscribe 512K, you will not get a full 512K.

ADSL speed is not guaranteed, IP traffic (Internet Traffic) are all best effort. You subscribe 512K, you will not get a full 512K.

oops, my bad

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

Personally, I would recommend Starhub broadband over SNBB if you want a better quality of Broadband service. Nothing beats a digital line over a copper wire.

However, if you are talking about the cost, I believe SNBB will be cheaper than Starhub broadband if I am not wrong.

Personally, I would recommend Starhub broadband over SNBB if you want a better quality of Broadband service. Nothing beats a digital line over a copper wire.

However, if you are talking about the cost, I believe SNBB will be cheaper than Starhub broadband if I am not wrong.

I think Starhub has stopped giving Laptop to new subscriber on MAXONLINE?

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

yeap WA, now is free TV

SNBB is giving laptop.

OK, thanks

Earlier I used to subscribe SingNet and later on changed to Starhub and after using Maxonline for 2 years, I still prefer the latter.

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

the prerequisite for singnet bb is to have a singtel phone line which has 3 mnth rental charge of $25 (just recall off hand). this is for your normal telephonecalls.

the bb is thru this telephone line. there is no additional telphone charges for your bb.

the prerequisite for singnet bb is to have a singtel phone line which has 3 mnth rental charge of $25 (just recall off hand). this is for your normal telephonecalls.

the bb is thru this telephone line. there is no additional telphone charges for your bb.

This is a better explanation on SNNB broadband charges.

The cost is on the landline and not hooked to the time usage of your broadband connection. [Err, hope I am right cos 1. I am on starhub 2. My friends on SNBB were not charge on their IP connection]

This is a better explanation on SNNB broadband charges.

The cost is on the landline and not hooked to the time usage of your broadband connection. [Err, hope I am right cos 1. I am on starhub 2. My friends on SNBB were not charge on their IP connection]

yup and can use both net and voice together

Just checked with a friend who works at SingNet.

Yep, you DO have to pay for phone charges, since it's going through telephone exchange. That's how SingNet is able to offer such low prices for their broadband services.

Pls check with your friend from SingNet again, I dont think he has convey the right information to you.

You dont have to pay ANY telephone charges for any DATA (internet) connection, unless you are using VOICE. :B) Unlike 56k Dial-up, where u need to pay telephone charges. :D

i understand the request is for a recommendation for "entry" level for a low user.

then the singnet 512 kb is the most cost effective plan @ $30/mth

but if the usage is so very low, then use the dialup during offpeak hours for 3/4c a min. one can use for a little more than an hour daily for under $30/mth.

dialup dont offer value in time . imagine the time needed for the website to launch fully ... BB will be a better choice if not go for starhub flexisurf

dont think one will sit infront of the computer waiting for 30 mins for the website to launch fully unless one dont mind :rolleyes:

Any idea how is the M1 Wireless Broadband? I was thinking of getting it as my usage is pretty low mainly for MSN messenger and emails only.

For a light user, and mainly used to check emails and some surfing, it should be alright. Though, I have been hearing that the speed can be crappy. Disconnection is common.

M1 wireless?

speed is a joke, at times crawl like dialup

unlimited access is limited at 2GB (and yes i didnt make a mistake on that)

good part, able to access internet everywhere, just plug in USB dongle. convenient and fast set-up, if only the speed would measure up.

*based on feedbacks from other users

I'm using the M1 broadband besides snbb at home. For users who only want to surf the internet and read email messages it is good enough. However depending on the location you are in the connection can be sh*tty sometimes.

The big advantage it has now is its mobility. For example, I was able to get online at the SAFRA pool in Tampines after my gym workout Also my bf's place doesn't have bb. So I can still get online at his place using the M1 bb.

The current usage limit has been raised to 5GB per month instead of 2GB.

If I'm not wrong the M1 BB is using HSPDA (3.5G). It is definitely slower than snbb 512 which I'm using at home. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Oralb, have your friend found any suitable plan?

Do look here

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.