Male HQ

Baking Macaroons

Guest Mac

What has the Sg weather got to do with baking it ?

Before baking the macaroons, you need to air dry them for an hour or more to form a skin first.

Its OK if that day is hot but if its raining or that day's humidity is high, the macaroons will not dry out well and baking flop.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest -Guest-

I think you meant Macarons ?

From wiki

Since the English word macaroon can also refer to the coconut macaroon, many have adopted the French spelling of macaron to distinguish the two items in the English language. However, this has caused confusion over the correct spelling. Some recipes exclude the use of macaroon to refer to this French confection while others think that they are synonymous.

]

Actually it's still doable in Sg lar , also about resting the shell , there is a debate as to leave for 30 min or not , cos actually if you leave longer ,there will be a crust but then it will also lose it's shine , so actually depends on recipe , some require you to rest , some best to bake within 10-15 min of resting :)

i will suggest you to find recipes online , personally i like laduree and PH ones. ( never tried making but PH is the Macaron guy )

Basically you need egg white ( i like to age it in chiller for few days or room temp for 12-24 hours )

TPT -

which is finely ground almond

Icing sugar

( best to sieve if with a fine sieve after you combine and blend the both together )

sugar + water ( for itialian meringue ) [ some recipe using french meringue though )

colouring

and your choise of fillings

To bake & make people happy ... But am i happy baking ? hmmmm I just have to , cos if not people will not like what I baked ! P/s : We can exchange pointers BUT please don't just private me just to ask for recipes ! Thanks

Before baking the macaroons, you need to air dry them for an hour or more to form a skin first.

Its OK if that day is hot but if its raining or that day's humidity is high, the macaroons will not dry out well and baking flop.

I personally think the folding is more impt then the drying , which actually affects the result too :)

To bake & make people happy ... But am i happy baking ? hmmmm I just have to , cos if not people will not like what I baked ! P/s : We can exchange pointers BUT please don't just private me just to ask for recipes ! Thanks

• 5 months later...

After having my own success and failures in making them macarons, i found the following to be impt:

1. Further grinding of icing sugar and ground almond mixture in food processor for at least 3 mins

2. Sieving the mixture once is good enough

3. Make sure egg whites are aged at least for two days. I use mine after leaving them in fridge for 4 days.

4. I use french meringue method so make sure egg whites are whipped to firm peaks. I use a drop of color paste when i make colored macarons.

5. Correct Folding of flour mixture into whipped egg whites is VERY important. Make sure you dont over fold. When folded correctly, the batter should flow like magma consistency when you tilt the mixing bowl to one side. You can do a test by spooning some batter on a plate and the tip of the batter should disappear into the rest of batter under 30 sec. If not, continue folding for few more times and do the test again. I use a combination of folding and pressing method and i actually add the whipped whites over the entire flour mixture before i fold. You need to deflate some air out of the batter so dont be too careful with the folding.

6. I rest my piped macarons in an aircon room till a dry skin forms on each macaron. This can be from 20 mins to 45 mins. You can test this by lightly touching each shell and they should not be sticky or tacky. This stage is impt so dont rush it and you will get beautiful feets on the macarons :).

7. I bake at a higher temperature of 180oC for about 13 mins. This is to allow the batter to rise nicely to prevent hollow macarons. But have to watch it as higher rate of shell browning at this high temp. I tried baking longer at lower temp of 150oC but no success.

8. Try to make macarons on a sunny day. Higher chance of success. I tried during rainy days and it still work but have to leave it out longer for skin to form.

I highly recommend chocolate macaron recipe by david lebovitz...its almost foolproof. Good luck.

Edited by windanseaguy

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.