Male HQ

Anyone Who Plays Music!

daydreamingfish

Yaa! WHY IS THAT AH??? I always wondered.. Mozart posers... Grr.. :yuk:

Aiyah, some people started training solfège since young, and they are train to sing "fixed do" solfège.

That is to say if the note 'A' (right above middle 'C') is at the frequency of 440Hz, they are train to sing that 'A' note at approximately 440Hz.

With enough training, the brain will register this, and next time when they hear a music note with the sound frequency of 440Hz, they will know that it is an 'A' note.

I would agree with orionmiz here that through constant practice and playing the identification of notes is possible like how some people can tune a guitar without a tuner...but if u r talking abt people born with that gift I had a teacher who could identify a note when the car screeches or when the bus horns...and that is freaky...but I guess as a musician or like for myself when mixing for shows it is important to identify instrumentation and general sound over specific notes since synergy and cohesiveness are key in any musical group

we all wear masks to protect and deceive how many masks do you have with you today?

Unfortunately there are some bad sides about able to identifying notes through the frequency (so-called perfect pitch). The person may have problems learning/playing transposing instruments (e.g. Clarinet in B-flat, Saxophone (E-flat/B-flat), certain brass instruments etc.).

So, if you ask me to learn how to play clarinet or saxophone, I don't think I'll be able to master it...

I would agree with orionmiz here that through constant practice and playing the identification of notes is possible like how some people can tune a guitar without a tuner...but if u r talking abt people born with that gift I had a teacher who could identify a note when the car screeches or when the bus horns...and that is freaky...but I guess as a musician or like for myself when mixing for shows it is important to identify instrumentation and general sound over specific notes since synergy and cohesiveness are key in any musical group

Omg, he/she's a godddd....

You mean like how the sounds blend?

Yea how the sound blends as in generally as musicians we will easily spot or sound out (forgive the pun) any stray note being played or miss beat that is played and then go rectify the problem and well when we play together. We all noe when we have to crescendo or decrescendo. Or any other alteration without a score so I guess it is all part and parcel of our journey in music and musicianship

we all wear masks to protect and deceive how many masks do you have with you today?

Unfortunately there are some bad sides about able to identifying notes through the frequency (so-called perfect pitch). The person may have problems learning/playing transposing instruments (e.g. Clarinet in B-flat, Saxophone (E-flat/B-flat), certain brass instruments etc.).

So, if you ask me to learn how to play clarinet or saxophone, I don't think I'll be able to master it...

Ok, this part a bit cheem...I don't understand how it's a problem? o.O

Ok, this part a bit cheem...I don't understand how it's a problem? o.O

Well you see, let say for example Clarinet in B-flat. If you play a 'C' note on the clarinet, it will sound as a 'B-flat'. Hence it is called a transposing instruments (because the sounding pitch is different from the playing/written pitch).

However, if the person have perfect pitch, the 'C' note will have been fixed to a specific pitch/frequency (or maybe approximately there) to that person (which is about 262 Hz for middle 'C'). Hence, it can be confusing for that person if he/she play the note as 'C' but the sound comes out as 'B-flat'.

If you have played the transposing instruments with piano/orchestra, you would have noted that the written key for the piano part or other instrument parts is different from the transposing instruments. Let say for example, the piece is in C major. The piano part would be written in C major, but the clarinet in B-flat would be written in D major so that it will sound as a C major when played.

Ok lah, this post is a bit lengthy, so see if you'll can digest it. :P

Well you see, let say for example Clarinet in B-flat. If you play a 'C' note on the clarinet, it will sound as a 'B-flat'. Hence it is called a transposing instruments (because the sounding pitch is different from the playing/written pitch).

However, if the person have perfect pitch, the 'C' note will have been fixed to a specific pitch/frequency (or maybe approximately there) to that person (which is about 262 Hz for middle 'C'). Hence, it can be confusing for that person if he/she play the note as 'C' but the sound comes out as 'B-flat'.

If you have played the transposing instruments with piano/orchestra, you would have noted that the written key for the piano part or other instrument parts is different from the transposing instruments. Let say for example, the piece is in C major. The piano part would be written in C major, but the clarinet in B-flat would be written in D major so that it will sound as a C major when played.

Ok lah, this post is a bit lengthy, so see if you'll can digest it. :P

Pro sia.. Getting horny over all these musical knowledge. Oh yeahhhh!

• 4 weeks later...

If there's a classical ensemble, I don't mind joining in. :P

I also don't mind a 2-instruments duet (e.g. violin/viola/cello/bass/flute/clarinet/oboe/bassoon/brass/etc. + piano accompanist) or a trio (e.g. violin + flute + piano).

Come to think of it, any pianist here doing piano accompaniment?

I used to play the cello. But have stopped because of my heavy schedule. Now it's sitting idly in the store room. Yeah, a trio/quartet would be fun.

Think it's all about practise lor. Last year didn't had much time to practise for my violin, so I failed all sections EXCEPT aural (got 18/18 because aural is the same for all music practical exams).

I learnt violin before too, but hated those high positions. All the notes are so close to each other, your fingers get squashed hehehehe.

Well, it's never too late to pick up flute, or any other new instruments now.

Am learning flute now. But still a beginner :)

Haha! Hello!!!! I saw you on Trevvy quite some time back already actually. Small world ah!! :lol: p.s. Lucky you never go down that day, it was DEAD. NOTHING happened. =/ I went home like after 1 hour or smth.

Lol! you spent more time traveling back and forth than practicing. D: Is it still dead?

voice counts? no I do not see myself as a pop singer kind .... (no offence, but certainly not those who cannot hold a pitch and still managed to sell records kind)

what kind of vocalist are u jazz? opera? musical or classical? i m more musical,broadway

Hi there! I'm now studying at NAFA Diploma in Music Performance programme, year 2, majoring in violin. Have been playing violin for around 9 years. Took my Grade 8 in 2009. Besides that, NAFA "forces" every non-pianist to learn piano so I have a basic skills in piano as well.

Cool... *.* Are you gonna pursue a degree at NAFA as well?

voice counts? no I do not see myself as a pop singer kind .... (no offence, but certainly not those who cannot hold a pitch and still managed to sell records kind)

Of course! :D Are you a tenor, baritone or bass?

• 2 weeks later...
Go check out PAYCO, on 8th April, 3pm @ The Esplanade Concert Hall! The theme's dance and there'll be songs like Libertango, Voices of Spring Waltz, Do-Re-Mi, Czardas! ^^ Admission is free.

Anything musical I guess.. Orchestras would be best! And WOOOT LIBERTANGO!! Gonna orgas during the concert! Who else going ahh?

What grade are you at? Are you hireable for ABRSM practicals?

Oh ya, I also need to hire a pianist for my ABRSM practicals (for 2013 exams).

Just for those who want to know, this is what I'll be (tentatively) playing. :P

Grade 8 Violin

A1 - J. S. Bach: Allegro assai: 3rd movt from Concerto in E, BWV 1042 (the same music used for one of the property advertisement, which I can't remember which...)

B2 - Bruch: Nos 5, 6 and 7: from Schwedische Tänze, Op. 63, Vol. 1 (this one is 3 short pieces)

C7 - John Williams: Remembrances: from Three Pieces from Schindler’s List