Male HQ

Hiv Home Kit Gets Fda Approval

diidee

Hi Guys,

Just sharing a good news!

Quote:

"The FDA approved the first over-the-counter home HIV test Tuesday afternoon, sending up shares of its maker OraSure (

OSUR). ... The OraQuick In-Home HIV Test detects HIV with an oral swab, taking about 20 minutes to produce a result." (IBD: http://news.investors.com/article/616986/201207031522/home-hiv-test-wins-fda-approval.htm)

Hi Guys,

Just sharing a good news!

Quote:

"The FDA approved the first over-the-counter home HIV test Tuesday afternoon, sending up shares of its maker OraSure (

OSUR). ... The OraQuick In-Home HIV Test detects HIV with an oral swab, taking about 20 minutes to produce a result." (IBD: http://news.investors.com/article/616986/201207031522/home-hiv-test-wins-fda-approval.htm)

Guest Guest

The HIV home test kit is done with a mouth swab to collect saliva to detect presence of HIV virus. I am puzzle that HIV virus usually presence in blood and semen but not saliva as saliva has antibody which make it hard for the virus to survive. That is the reason why ppl seldom get infected by HIV virus thru oral sex than anal sex. In that case how this test kit is going to detect the presence of the virus. Any advice from the medical professionals here?

Guest Zaihan Kariyani

The HIV home test kit is done with a mouth swab to collect saliva to detect presence of HIV virus. I am puzzle that HIV virus usually presence in blood and semen but not saliva as saliva has antibody which make it hard for the virus to survive. That is the reason why ppl seldom get infected by HIV virus thru oral sex than anal sex. In that case how this test kit is going to detect the presence of the virus. Any advice from the medical professionals here?

It's not just saliva that is collected by the swab, but skin cells from the gums and inside of the cheeks. And all instant tests for HIV don't actually detect the virus itself, but antibodies that the body produces as a reaction to detecting it.

This is why a negative result does not guarantee that you are uninfected, unless one is certain that the exposure was at least a month back, as that is how late the antibodies will reach a detectable concentration.

It's not just saliva that is collected by the swab, but skin cells from the gums and inside of the cheeks. And all instant tests for HIV don't actually detect the virus itself, but antibodies that the body produces as a reaction to detecting it.

This is why a negative result does not guarantee that you are uninfected, unless one is certain that the exposure was at least a month back, as that is how late the antibodies will reach a detectable concentration.

oooooo.... learning something new everyday!!! =D

The test kits does not test using saliva but rather the mucous membranes.

Oraquick is an antibodies test. If your result on the test kit turns out to be reactive (positive), it will be necessary to follow up with a western blot (WB) as a confirmatory test.

Ultimately, we must always practise safe sex. Otherwise, this is just a news to bring you bad news .... at home

Agree. It is also important for the one self-admistering the test to be able to deal with the results, like for instance if tested positive; where to go for confirmatory test, is the result of the kit conclusive, does life still goes on, was it because i had alcohol drinks or was on drugs that why the result was positive?

And i'd think many people are often not aware of the window period.

Unfortunately HIV test kit is still not approved by AfA and in Singapore. The reason is that pre-test counselling and post-test counselling is mandatory.

I quote my AfA clinic manager's point of view on a similar issue:

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for sharing.

I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing because of the following:

1. No pre/post test counselling: So what happens if the client is alone and their result is +ve?

2. Issue of client doing test correctly: False positive results/accuracy/has the client been taking anything that may interfere with results. Does the client understand the window period? So now I am tested -ve, will it mean that I will be off doing whatever?

We do not encourage Oraquick at ATS (Anonymous Testing Site) because it is expensive around $15+ per test to us and the test strips are $5+. Regardless of which test the client uses, they still must have their blood drawn for a confirmatory WB test (Western Blotting - a technique that screens for HIV proteins) if they screen +ve for HIV.

I know the test kits can be bought on the Internet and in the saunas here, but we are not allowed to sell them over the counter at ATS or MTS (Mobile Testing Site) and will get into a lot of trouble if we do.

Cheers,

Julie

안녕하세요.

Oraquick is an antibodies test. If your result on the test kit turns out to be reactive (positive), it will be necessary to follow up with a western blot (WB) as a confirmatory test. And i'd think many people are often not aware of the window period.

Yes. Oraquick or HIV test kits available at AfA's ATS only detect for HIV antibodies that may not be immediately produced in the body upon exposure. Hence the significance of a window period.

Meanwhile, a confirmatory test (WB) screens for native HIV proteins that can be immediately found in the body upon exposure. But it is expensive and complicated, hence it is a follow-up test for the preliminary positive cases.

안녕하세요.

Unfortunately HIV test kit is still not approved by AfA and in Singapore. The reason is that pre-test counselling and post-test counselling is mandatory.

I quote my AfA clinic manager's point of view on a similar issue:

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for sharing.

I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing because of the following:

1. No pre/post test counselling: So what happens if the client is alone and their result is +ve?

2. Issue of client doing test correctly: False positive results/accuracy/has the client been taking anything that may interfere with results. Does the client understand the window period? So now I am tested -ve, will it mean that I will be off doing whatever?

We do not encourage Oraquick at ATS (Anonymous Testing Site) because it is expensive around $15+ per test to us and the test strips are $5+. Regardless of which test the client uses, they still must have their blood drawn for a confirmatory WB test (Western Blotting - a technique that screens for HIV proteins) if they screen +ve for HIV.

I know the test kits can be bought on the Internet and in the saunas here, but we are not allowed to sell them over the counter at ATS or MTS (Mobile Testing Site) and will get into a lot of trouble if we do.

Cheers,

Julie

Agree much with their concern.... :)

The antibodies will remain in your body for a long time... so saliva is still a source ... its the virus that gets '' kiiled ''

Every virus that infect the body will have an incubation period where they can go undetected....

Antibodies basically takes a few days to appear following the infection ....

• Guest locked this topic