Male HQ

Partner Visa (Australia)

Guest 123

Hi all,

I am writing to seek advice from friends with experience with the Partner Visa scheme in Australia.

We (my partner and I) have read through the rules and eligibility on immi.gov.au. However, we found the details rather vague. We have also wrote in to get some form of clarifications to no avail. Therefore, I wonder if anyone has gone through the process and is able to share briefly the 'criteria'.

For e.g, how to live together (12months as part of clause) without having a visa? Do you go to and fro Australia with Tourist Visa during this period and stay unemployed? (Working holiday does not apply to Singaporeans anymore as of what I read).

Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Are you in Australia already?

If you both are out of Australia the "living together for 12 months" means like what it says. You are staying in an apartment together, sharing costs, going on vacations together, buying things together, your friends say that you are together.

The evidence that the Australian govt require for "living together for 12 months" include: bank accounts in the same name, two names on a rental lease or mortgage, utility bills in both names, credit card accounts in both names, photographs (or Facebook) of holidays taken together with a timestamp to show the length of the relationship, declarations (affidavits) from friends testifying as to the type of relationship you have.

The more stuff you have, the more evidence you have of "living together" so the more likely he will be considered your "domestic partner/de facto relationship".

No I am not. I am looking forward to our 1 year anniversary next year.

We can always provide proofs like passport travels, communications (emails, messages and skype) and etc if these will be accepted.

However, I find it peculiar as the only way to stay in Australia is by having visiting 4 consecutive time with Tourist Visa. In other words, it also mean that I will not be able to work - doesn't that sound like an encouragement for unemployment?

I look forward to passing the 1st stage when I get my temporary partner visa so I can officially start my new job waiting for me.

Hope anyone who is currently holding or held the visa can share your experiences.

If you have a job offer then the easiest way to stay in Australia would be to enter on your own merits under a work permit type visa. The company will have to sponsor you.

Given that you haven't actually lived together for a year or registered your partnership anywhere, I think it is unlikely you will qualify as a domestic partner.

Guest Sotong.sg

Getting into Australia for gay couples is similar to straight couples. you have to first decide WHAT visa to apply for - Skilled Migration ? Business Owner ?

Then 1 or both have to apply.

So, the question is even if they believe and accept both of you are together.. So what ? How are you going to get a legal Working Visa or P. R ?

Email me at "Sotong dot SG at gmail dot com" and I can go through in details my process...

Getting into Australia for gay couples is similar to straight couples. you have to first decide WHAT visa to apply for - Skilled Migration ? Business Owner ?

Then 1 or both have to apply.

So, the question is even if they believe and accept both of you are together.. So what ? How are you going to get a legal Working Visa or P. R ?

Email me at "Sotong dot SG at gmail dot com" and I can go through in details my process...

As per subject, I am going to apply the Partner visa.

If you have a job offer then the easiest way to stay in Australia would be to enter on your own merits under a work permit type visa. The company will have to sponsor you.

Given that you haven't actually lived together for a year or registered your partnership anywhere, I think it is unlikely you will qualify as a domestic partner.

Hi tblee, your info helps. I understood from somewhere that registration can be done in my partner's state (Tasmania, Aus). How do we go about doing it, if it's relevant.

Hello 123 , I am surprised you did not mentioned the Gay and Lesbian Immigration Taskforce based in Australia that are run by gay and lesbian volunteers who have tons and tons of experitence uniting gay partners for international gay relationships like your , you can even contact them via email. Ditto your Australian partner.

heres the website, love. Good luck.

http://www.glitf.org.au/

Have you come out to your friends and family, ittily will help if you can get friends and family to testify that you two are a comed out couple.

Good luck

• Guest locked this topic