Male HQ

[ O C ] Domestic Violence In Gay Couple

briax

[media=]

It started all well when both of them fall in love. Until his boyfriend pressured him to come out to his family. And he threatened to out him to his family and friends about him being a gay and HIV positive.

Same sex domestic violence is real and it is happening in Singapore. Find out more about it at Oogachaga community talk - When Love Hurts on 29 September. More information on http://www.oogachaga.com/congregaytion/news/detail/245/when-love-hurts

Edited by briax

Stories of intimate partner violence may be uncommon among gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning community in Singapore, but it is very real and often surrounded by silence, fear and isolation.

Many victims feel that they are alone and feel trapped in their situations. They also thought that there is no way out of violent relationships, especially if their relationships are kept secret from others or risk running into legal complications. Being such a taboo topic in the LGBTQ community, few would know or believe that a man or a woman could be abused by partner of the same gender.

Join us at this community talk and learnt more about the issues related to same sex intimate partner violence from our invited speaker, Ms Serene Tan from CareCorner Project StART.

http://www.oogachaga.com/congregaytion/news/detail/245/when-love-hurts

Sticks and Stones: a documentary about domestic violence in LGBTQ relationships.

Join us at WHEN LOVE HURTS on 29 September 2012 to learn more about the topic. This talk is suitable for those who are in violent LGBTQ relationships or those who are concerned for a friend.

More info online: http://www.oogachaga.com/congregaytion/news/detail/245/when-love-hurts

The video just made me non aj for a bit ....

Hi Ziwei, I am sure you are not going to be the only one. However, we also have to acknowledge that domestic violence happens to heterosexual people too. Just that it will be a little easier for victims in a straight relationship to seek help. The current legal, social service, medical care and other services are trained to recognise and assist them. There is practically no training or understanding on same sex relationship in Singapore. Very few professionals are aware of the cultural differences.

That is why Oogachaga is doing education for both the community as well as the professionals out there on LGBTQ issues, including same sex domestic violence.

Wee Lee first got in touch with me an hour after I posted an online appeal for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in Singapore to contribute their personal stories. We decided to meet over drinks in Holland Village; I was half-expecting him to share his coming out story, and was not ready for some of the things he was about to tell me.

As an average-looking guy with an athletic build and broad smile, he didn’t look too different from other young men. Yet what I heard from him that night was to change my understanding of human endurance. You see, Wee Lee is a survivor of violence inflicted upon him by his gay partner.

As a gay man and a social worker, I thought I had seen it all. Before this, my experience of family violence had been the kind between straight couples, or when someone vulnerable, such as a child, or an elderly or disabled person, is being mistreated by a family member. I had heard from someone else about a friend who was being beaten up by her lesbian partner; I think they lived in the US. All these cases of domestic violence, although real and tragic, seemed somewhat remote from my own life.

Still, just because we don’t hear or talk about something doesn’t make it non-existent. International research has shown that rates of violence in same-sex (gay and lesbian) relationships is very similar to rates of violence against women by their male partners – around 25% to 30%. This can only mean that same-sex partner violence happens right here in Singapore: to our neighbours, friends, colleagues and family members. Wee Lee was in a four-year relationship with his abusive partner Carl while they lived together in a flat near Ghim Moh.

See full article here.

Edited by briax

Homosexual or heterosexual, domestic violence in a relationship is morally wrong and shouldn't happen. Obviously the attacker needs help and if the party getting attacked refuses to wake up and move on, then he/she needs more self-love as well. But we all make mistakes, so it's okay, as long as we learn from it and be better :)

anigif_enhanced-5397-1408658439-1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

if you are keen to understand and learn about same sex intimate partner violence, whether you need these information for yourself or to support a friend, do join us this Saturday 29 September 2012 from 2pm to 4.30pm.

Intimate Partner Violence is not limited to people in a gay relationship, it also refers to violence that take part while you are in a dating stage or you are in post break up stage.

Register here so that we can send you the venue details.

https://docs.google.com/a/oogachaga.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHBVT1hYX2tzMGpKUmJRUjdjVmtYR1E6MA#gid=0

• Guest locked this topic