Male HQ

Changing Job

Guest Guest

Many pple always say u will lost ur bargaining power if u quit w/o a job. But i think not really true, many times also must depends on many factors whether or not u have a job or w/o a job. Some coys only willing to pay certain amt of salary, even u have a job or not still the same. And some pple very gd in toking and neg, so even they do not have a job, they might also end up able to get a high salary.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

the bargaining power is not in whether u have a job or not.. Is in whether u are despo for a job... If u are currently unemployed but feel u dun urgently need a job den u can afford to play around and reject the job if salary not up to expectation.. Taking chances if the company will adjust the offer

I quit my previous job in Jan & I found my current one only in Apr (though I went holiday in Feb). Every interviews, definitely there is the same qns being asked, "why did you leave without a job?"....

I quit my previous job in Jan & I found my current one only in Apr (though I went holiday in Feb). Every interviews, definitely there is the same qns being asked, "why did you leave without a job?"....

Tis is the std qn which will confirm ask during the interview, if u have a job they wld asked "why did you want to leave ur job'? I guess still depends on ur skills and how well u ans all the qns, nothing much got to do whether u have a job or not. Even some pple who's resume reflected tht they job hop every 1-2 years also have coy employ these pple.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Guest Kuti Kuti

Nowadays employer will ask you this question, Can kyou start work IMMEDIATELY? or we need to fill a vacant urgently because it is a replacement post and you need to takeover the assignment before their staff leave. Tell me, if you have a job, where is the bargain under such question posed. Otherwise, employer will also like to go thru several round of interviews, if one of those important interview where you have to meet their decision maker and happened your company need you to attend an urgent meeting on the same day, where is the flexibilty? If you are jobless, you can fly down anytime anywhere when called upon to meet the interviewer.

I think it all depends.

If u r the candidate that they are looking for, it doesnt matter if u r employed or jobless at the moment.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Nowadays employer will ask you this question, Can kyou start work IMMEDIATELY? or we need to fill a vacant urgently because it is a replacement post and you need to takeover the assignment before their staff leave. Tell me, if you have a job, where is the bargain under such question posed. Otherwise, employer will also like to go thru several round of interviews, if one of those important interview where you have to meet their decision maker and happened your company need you to attend an urgent meeting on the same day, where is the flexibilty? If you are jobless, you can fly down anytime anywhere when called upon to meet the interviewer.

Agreed, sometimes it is more easier to secure a job or higher chance to get a job if u r jobless. Cos u can go to interview more easy and can start work immediately.

I remember i went for an interview before, turned out tht the position is a replacement and the manager prefer the person tht can start work immediately or in short period, and when the manager knew tht i "die die" also need to fulfil 1 mth notice, in the end never received any call from them liao!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Employment gap in the resume is hard to explain. Better leave your job if you found a replacement already.

Depends how gd ur story is and how convincing u r. Some pple also have some employment gap history and yet they still managed to find job. Like i said b4, some pple job history is they have worked for 4 companies within 2 years, and yet these pple still have companies employ them.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

i have a friend who job hop 7 jobs within 4 yrs. Every hop he went a rank higher from exec to senior exec to asst mgr to mgr to senior mgr to Asst Dir to Director.

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

i have a friend who job hop 7 jobs within 4 yrs. Every hop he went a rank higher from exec to senior exec to asst mgr to mgr to senior mgr to Asst Dir to Director.

Are u sure or not? Ur friend so lucky?

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

But some pple really have the luck, even they like to job hop and yet everytime they change job, they are able to get higher salary and higher position.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Guest Laughing Clam

It is a myth to think you will have bargain power to land a job if you are still working. Some interviewers look at resume and see that you need to give one month notice, they will discard it into the rubbish bin straight away. Unless a company is not in a hurry to fill a vacant, most companies advertised jobs because someone is leaving. You will also have anxiety if it is a replacement and you won't have time to do a proper handover in your new job.

To make things worse, now many jobs require 2 mths or 3 mths notice period.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

It is a myth to think you will have bargain power to land a job if you are still working. Some interviewers look at resume and see that you need to give one month notice, they will discard it into the rubbish bin straight away. Unless a company is not in a hurry to fill a vacant, most companies advertised jobs because someone is leaving. You will also have anxiety if it is a replacement and you won't have time to do a proper handover in your new job.

Agreed, esp nowadays seems like many companies very kiasi, most prefer the new person can come in to take over from the person leaving the job. Maybe many managers now dun want to train the new guy when they come in.

And nowadays there are many FTs also come here to find job, and most of them have the advantage of starting work immediately. This may indirectly reduce the chance of those working. Unless u r really damn gd and the company willing to wait for u.

Edited by alien

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Wow 4 years to reach director... Not too bad.. But depends on how much is the increment each jump.. Some companies have inflated job titles.. A director might just be drawing a manager salary elsewhere

sometimes also afraid whether can click with the people in new environment.

Yup. True. For me, I find jobscope to be not that big a deal (though still important) but if my colleagues are no good, it'll be hell every day coming to work. At least if the literal job sucks but you have great colleagues, you'll somehow still enjoy it, somewhat like in the Army. ;)

Bargaining power has a broader meaning when it comes to job seeking. Not only it allows one to negotiate with the potential employer, it also allows one to negotiate with himself whether to take it up or not.

Despite the fact that I agree with some of the comments that there are many factors to attaining a job, I can't rule out the possibility that one may make an emotional decision when he tries to seek for a new job without having an existing one to fall back on, or rule out the possibility that some companies may take advantage of the applicant knowing the fact that he is now jobless.

One of my childhood friend, quitted his job without a safety net after many months of consideration. His relieve was short-live after he submitted his resignation only to realise he is now jobless and in his 40s. He plunged into a totally different kind of stress.

My opinion is you can only get to do what u want to do when u hv the money to sustained. Without it, how many , in this day and age, can actually quit a job so freely.

Wow 4 years to reach director... Not too bad.. But depends on how much is the increment each jump.. Some companies have inflated job titles.. A director might just be drawing a manager salary elsewhere

Agreed, title not impt and more impt how much is the company paying u. Nowadays many companies doesnt pay according to the job title. Eg, some company is paying ard $3K for a senior position, or less than $4.5K for a manager.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Now its the employers' mkt. Many pple out there searching. Those of u above 35..trust me, better stay where u r..this i speak frm xperience. Many coy ask for 'fresh grad' meaning young and oso min 1 yr experience. The above 40's r treated like foreign worker-offered jobs that d typical youngster n singaporeans shun or reject. Btw,going to E2i is useless...Some jobs like Waitering, telemarketing, sales associate, security..quite ez to get i guess..

Not true for all case. Although it might be a bit difficult for people age 35 and above to find job, but i also have friends and ex colleague able to hop job after the age of 35. Finding jobs many times must depends on many factors, not only age.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

• Guest locked this topic