Male HQ

Seeing Someone Vs In Relationship

Guest Guest

My take would be commitment vs no commitment.

Yes I think what iibrokenn said is pretty much it.

If you're seeing someone, then you are still trying to make a judgement on whether the person is fit to be in a relationship with you. There are of course no (and should not be expected) commitment in this case.

Being in a relationship I think means that you are both committed with each other and have a good plan on where the relationship is going to go.

More often than not however, a lot of us have been trying to make a judgement by being in a relationship, therefore skipping the seeing-someone phase. And so we see many more short-lasted "relationships" which might not seem to have any effect but I think it slowly influences us to doubt solid long-lasting relationships.

I bolded both above because I think a common misunderstanding is when one believes he is truly ready to be in a relationship but the other is still trying to make a judgement by being in a relationship. So if and when he finally made a judgement that the other person is not fit to be in a relationship, it would leave the other heartbroken - more than necessary.

Misunderstanding is not good.

Instagram | @sodamnsonni

Twitter | @sosonni

Thanks everyone for the reply. I always thought they are the same... until people post their status as "seeing someone but not in relationship". Somehow from the reply, isn't unfair for the other party? It's like leaving the other party hanging not knowing what is going on..

I have been seeing someone, a married man. However we are not in relationship, as he has a family. Out front we already stated clearly that there is no commitment to each other and relationship will unlikely to develop.

Personally, I don't think it is a 'tactic'. Seeing one another is just like dating but without the labels and identities part. I feel that this leaves more options opened, which is good if you want to observe a person more before making a decision. Dating alone does not equate to a relationship, it takes more than that.

I suppose there is an eventual phase in which a party makes it clear that they are dating? Maybe something as simple as "Will you be with me? Will you be my boyfriend" sorta thing? (Sorry, inexperienced guy talking here. I don't know how you guys do it XDD)

I think if this question is not brought up yet, then the phase merely remains as 'seeing one another'. Unless you guys have been 'seeing each other' for like 1 year, I dont think anyone with no interest would date that long.

However, if you have asked the question and then there's an mutual agreement, then it will become a relationship officially. That's when the commitment comes in and when it's taken more seriously. I assume this is after you guys have know each other better too.

So just ask the question if you haven't and make the whole thing albeit more official. If he don't want to be in a relationship with you then you can see if you want to continue or move on.

But even so, everyone's point of view regarding relationship differs. I really have no idea how others think about this. I'm a really idealistic guy so what I said may not fit well in this community (:

Edited by Slynn

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all"

• Guest locked this topic