Male HQ

I'm Quite Embarrass But...how To Buy Clothes And Dress Better?

Guest Introvert

Guest Introvert

WOT incoming...

Bi guy here more towards female but is ok with looking at the "show your dick thread" and fantasize about it.

Anyway here goes...

I am in my early 30s and....I did not really buy my own clothes myself ever...yes that is what I am embarrassed about

Basically my job in an office environment does not require me to wear formal clothes(guess what profession?) (yes I do have them but my mum got them for me) just jeans and polo shirt. Basically I wear them for months and years rotating with that same few colors every day as a result of never really buying my own clothes since young (or secondary school days) I do not and am unwilling to go into those stores to buy pants/shirt because I won't really know how to and don't see a need to since every year my mum will buy those polo shirt from hang ten for me.

I'm not complaining that my mum buy my clothes for me because it is a fact since so long never buy my own clothes and I don't go on dates I am too lazy to buy it myself ...i'm trying to change that slowly...by dressing a bit well either on semi casual occasion or for company DnD (if any). Yes I am those sportshoes, jeans(brandless) and polo shirt guy , I wear them to orchard road, hotels buffet with friends and even CNY.

I'm not an extreme introvert either, I do go out with friends but I only bought my own belt for interview and tie from a department store and that is all...

There was even once I wear the usual office attire to a wedding dinner and a distant relative ask me why I wear pleated working pants as it makes me look fatter around the waist and thigh area(i'm avg build)..in my mind i was thinking (because that is how my mum buy pants for my dad!) just ask me for waist size can already. This is also how I found out about non pleated pants...those young guy that wear and it shows their slim figure instead of me I keep wondering why my pants quite baggy even though the size is just right...

So I have various question here hoping people can answer it for me.

1. Can try shirt in department stores? Since those shirt are always packaged nicely I don't think can let me open and try right?

2. What are the more trendy store than sell MANLY ( I don't want to look like those punks (even though they are trendy)) shirts and pants(Do you trendy guys buy from different stores?) that is good enough to say maybe go on a date and impress or simply just going out to town walk walk but yet not over dress (nono to blazers )

3. How to know if a shirt is suitable to roll the sleeve up? Does it applies to every working shirt or only a specific type of shirt?

The idea that I have in mind is pretty common...a shirt (can be tucked in or out) with a suitable pair of jeans to go for shirt and a shoe (not sport shoes! or those sneakers which I see those young people wear) ...but can a normal working leather shoes go with jeans? Since I think it look weird and when I see imagine myself doing that yet when I search the net for those type of looks it looks good on the model?

Basically im looking for the "Go to town/ Go for date" look , Shirt, jeans, leather shoes

Wedding or very formal events or when entering a high class hotel (if ever get the chance),

this : http://www.tvfanatic...f-patrick-jane/

Yes looking for shirt as i'm trying to shake off the image of t shirt/ polo t shirt guy 1 step at a time.

Guest personalshopper

JEEZ... uve been touched by an angel... u need help from the fashionSistas here... The mentalist guy wears what we call a vest. And yes, there are Other kinds of shoes besides sneakers. Lets see.. there are loafera, slips ons on every kind of leather or canvas... unless u r jewiah which doesnt allow u to mix fabric fibres, pls give polos n apek pants a miss. Ure dressing like ur granddad, not dad...need mote fashion tips from a personal shopper, email me dfwsd@hotmail.com

So I have various question here hoping people can answer it for me.

1. Can try shirt in department stores? Since those shirt are always packaged nicely I don't think can let me open and try right?

2. What are the more trendy store than sell MANLY ( I don't want to look like those punks (even though they are trendy)) shirts and pants(Do you trendy guys buy from different stores?) that is good enough to say maybe go on a date and impress or simply just going out to town walk walk but yet not over dress (nono to blazers )

3. How to know if a shirt is suitable to roll the sleeve up? Does it applies to every working shirt or only a specific type of shirt?

The idea that I have in mind is pretty common...a shirt (can be tucked in or out) with a suitable pair of jeans to go for shirt and a shoe (not sport shoes! or those sneakers which I see those young people wear) ...but can a normal working leather shoes go with jeans? Since I think it look weird and when I see imagine myself doing that yet when I search the net for those type of looks it looks good on the model?

Basically im looking for the "Go to town/ Go for date" look , Shirt, jeans, leather shoes

Wedding or very formal events or when entering a high class hotel (if ever get the chance),

this : http://www.tvfanatic...f-patrick-jane/

Yes looking for shirt as i'm trying to shake off the image of t shirt/ polo t shirt guy 1 step at a time.

1 & 2) Yes, you can try shirts (i'm assuming you mean button-ups) in departmental stores. Actually, a better idea would be to go to clothing stores rather than OG/Robinsons kind of one-time-hoot-all kind of places. Try G2000 or TopMen for shirts that aren't too expensive with relatively good quality. Also, don't be afraid to ask the shop assistants for help. Protip: When buying shirts, try them while sitting down. It'll give you a rough idea how the fabric expands around body. I've bought shirts that looks nice when I'm standing up but bulges out when I sit down.

3) You can roll up the sleeves of any button-up shirts. I, personally, have no issues with it as long as you roll it up nicely but depending on your company and the people you're with, that might change.

For more info, check out the sidebar on http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/

Some of the styles are more suited for cold climate countries so tweak it when perusing the style guide. Also gives great advices categorized by Events and even Body Types.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion but I am so embarrassed by this that I don't wish to let anybody know...an analogy for it is...for gay who is still not ready to be "out", imagine how difficult it is to tell friends,family, colleague that "I am gay"...basically is the same.(Yay for people who is out of the closet)

Thing is not good fashion sense rather how to know.. let say...

1. If this pair of jeans CAN wear with a shirt? It is any pair of jeans that I go levi store buy I can wear with a shirt? Or only a particular pattern.

Main point is "can" or "cannot" rather that "does it goes well with" a shirt. Since as long as it be worn with a shirt, then already 1 part of the wardrobe settle, next is just buy shirt.

2. I just did a search for shirt that can be worn tuck in or out...so problem solve for me , need to look for the type of cutting at the bottom of the shirt

3. Then again how to know if can "try" shirt in ...like what you guys suggest hmm G2000, TopMen does it mean if have changing room means can? I NEVER walk in these stores before besides departmental stores...do I have to request for the shop assistant if I can try on?

I really appreciate your answers and lastly@

personalshopper

yes I am touch by an angel

I don't regret I am really happy to have a mum like this just that this is my own "mentality" of never bothering to buy my own clothes myself and slowly as I get older now, I'm at a lost of what to do...

hey i am too even if i am 20 years old .. but saving up money but clothing soon i been wearing same cloth since 2009 till now dude .. because i like it alot .. i wear t shirt and jean . Yeah the reason why i dont buy new shirt is because sometime i grow fatter and muscular ..then i do not know what seize to wear :D so it's like not accurate :D

dude, u really need someone to teach u some basic dressing up... seriously...

rather than telling u what's right/wrong in ur dress sense, u have to work with what ur comfortable with 1st and then progress from there...

if u were to have a 180degree change, u will then feel awkard and out of place... and u may revert back to ur old style...

i dun mind shopping with u and teaching u the basic... if ur up for it, that is....

Haha all I can say is i'm average 170, 70kg

I am thinking of going down to metro (ok I know people shun departmental store) how common is flat front pans/ non -pleated pants for work can I find them in department store or only from those "branded" store G2000, etc etc.

I really appreciate the comments but I am not ready to meet and go shopping...and yes I want to start small..even though my work does not require me to wear formal but maybe on special occasion I can start by changing to a flat front pants instead of pleated pants.

Lmao, changing the style of pants is indeed a very small step. To answer your question, yes. They do sell pleated pants. But I recommend you to go for a tailored suit if you can afford it, you don't have to wear all the pieces at once, can mix and match AND it's useful when you need to dress-up for some occasion.

Formal working attire for men is pretty straight forward. Just head to any G2000 outlet for a start. They have limited designs for pants = lesser headache. The cutting is pretty smart-looking so don't worry, you won't look too shabby. Wear a shirt when you're trying the pants to get the most realistic feel. Going to a tailor is always the best, but it doesn't come cheap to customize. If I were you, don't spend too much on the first trial and error set, in case you don't wear them as often.

Shopping should be relaxing luh. :lol:

high frequency | biologically hazardous | penetrating

Guest Reommend JB Permier Outlet

I was just at the new JB Premier Outlet. There are buses from immigration checkpoint. You could spend all day exploring "Branded named" clothing shops and pay a fraction of what you pay in Singapore.

I was an amazing place to visit and i plan to make some return trips. Don't bother going if you aren't interested in "branded" quality goods. They don't sell "fake" so be prepared to invest in "high-end" quality clothing and accessories.

Have fun shopping!

Guest Thai tailor/vacation

Formal working attire for men is pretty straight forward. Just head to any G2000 outlet for a start. They have limited designs for pants = lesser headache. The cutting is pretty smart-looking so don't worry, you won't look too shabby. Wear a shirt when you're trying the pants to get the most realistic feel. Going to a tailor is always the best, but it doesn't come cheap to customize. If I were you, don't spend too much on the first trial and error set, in case you don't wear them as often.

Shopping should be relaxing luh. :lol:

If you want tailored, I would recommend a trip to Thailand. I got business shirts and pants done. They cost about as much as buying off the rack but the material was of a higher qualtiy and everything fit me so I looked like "a million bucks".

For a start, instead of running into stores and getting stuff, you can first identify what style you prefer.

Browse fashion magazines - eg, Men's Style, Men's Folio, or online magazines, etc. Websites of Zara, Topman, Uniqlo should have catalogs where you can see their clothes. When you're able to see their differences, you should be ready to go shopping.

Of course, there's more you can do. But in your situation, a grooming course may help you - they can teach you how which colours complement your complexion, how to identify cuts that make your body look more proportionate, what to wear for what event, etc.

erm do you want someone to go shopping with you? you dont have to be shy about it. ask and you shall receive. there are no clothes that are terrible(oh wait there is actually....). you just need to get the suitable that match your look and the right size to fit your physique. :)

Haha I shy man...but i'm going to g2000 today after work.

Can i confirm if there will be changing rooms in g2k? Like actually nobody answer my question on whether how to know if can try the pants....is it have changing rooms means can try? are there any other rules?

Yes i'm still reading this thread

Hehe so cute.

Well since you're shy, you'll probably want to go when there's fewer customers around. Usually as you're walking around browsing the salesperson will ask you if you need help....just point out the pants you wanna try, say you wanna try out your size. If you dunno your size (formal shirts can be particularly tricky if it's your first time shopping around...got neck, chest and sleeve lengths)...just say you're not too sure of your size (hint: if you want to save face and don't want them to know you've never shopped for shirt/pants before, say some excuse, like you haven't needed to go shopping for new pair for a long time, can't remember your size, and you've lost or gained weight, so not too sure of your size now. Usually no one will kaypoh that much though...). The (more expert) salespeople handle all types of customers day in day out, all different sizes one, they can probably tell roughly at a glance what size you need, and probably give you a bunch of different sizes to try out. Maybe they'll even whip out a measuring tape on the spot. Lol.

And if not sure, just ask the salesperson lah. I know you're shy, but it's their job to help you. Don't worry. At most, if you make a fool of yourself, just never return to that store again. And if they're rude, then they just lost a customer. :P

Or if you're really truly that shy....just go with your mom!! LOL. I think females are better at rapport with the salespeople, especially if the salesperson is also female. Don't care (too much) what others think....your first step to overcoming your shyness. ;)

One other thing...yes you can try out if there's changing room. But don't go opening the packaged shirts and trying them out lah! Ask the salesperson for your size, they'll pull one up magically for you. Or if you don't like dealing with salespeople, or if they're super busy, try finding your own size among those on display (not wrapped!) usually on hangers.

And please, when you try out in the changing room....please please don't take off your underwear for hygiene purposes (erm I hope you're wearing one). Unless it's some kind of sick fetish of yours. Haha. I'm saying this because....I found out some people actually do. WHY??? Eww.

Edited by wheeze

• Guest locked this topic