Male HQ

National Hero: Ang Peng Siong

limpeh

There is a lot of talk lately about all this Singaporean Core etc etc. And while recent sports headlines have been dominated by foreign born athletes, I would like to use this thread as an ode to our Singapore-bred champions to remember and honour them. Starting with Ang Peng Siong. From wikipedia: 

Ang Peng Siong (Chinese: 洪秉祥; pinyin: Hóng Bǐngxiáng; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Âng Píng-siông; born 27 October 1962 in Singapore) is a swimmer from Singapore, who once held the world no.1 ranking in the 50 m freestyle. As of 2012, he is Singapore's Swimming National Head Coach.

World's fastest
At the US Swimming Championships in 1982, Ang won the 50 m freestyle in 22.69 seconds, a world best time for that year. Ang also represented Singapore at the 1982 Asian Games in New Delhi, and won gold in the 100 m freestyle. Ang was presented with the 'World's Fastest Swimmer' award for 1982.
In 1983, Ang won the 50-yard freestyle race at the NCAA Division One Swimming Championships. He was also the 50-yard champion at the US Swimming Championships in 1982 and 1986, and was named an All-American for four consecutive years from 1981-84.

1984 Olympics and after
Ang represented Singapore at the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, where he was the winner of the 'B' consolation final for the 100 m freestyle. (He was not able to compete in his pet event, the 50 m freestyle, as it did not become an Olympic event until 1988.)

At the 1986 World Swimming Championships in Madrid, Ang finished fourth in the 50 m freestyle.
In eight appearances at the Southeast Asian Games from 1977 to 1993, Ang won a total of 20 gold medals. He held the fastest time by an Asian over 50 m freestyle until 1996. His time of 22.69 seconds remains a Southeast Asian record.

Coaching
Since retiring from top-level competition, Ang has devoted himself to coaching. He has worked with swimmers at all levels - from young children just learning how to swim, to national champions preparing to represent Singapore at top international competitions. He founded the APS Swim School in Singapore.
At the 2000 World Masters Swimming Championships, Ang won the 35-39 age group 50m freestyle event.

And here is a picture of him back in his heyday:

1.jpg8340AA01FDA20FB7C30B820D64C.jpg

Quite a hunk isn't he!!

His wedding, to Wendy Lee

Wendy_Lee_N_Ang_Peng_Siong.JPG

"Of the physical attraction, Wendy says unabashedly, “It was his body, lah! And the chlorine-stained blonde hair. But seriously, he is quiet, kind, unassuming, very different from me. His dress sense is poor, though,” she chuckles. He shoots back playfully: “Wendy’s and extrovert. Her outgoing nature helped me open over the years.”

25617647%20-%2026_09_2012%20-%20lsswim27

And this is him now on the left, much older but still very fit.

*salute to him

chey! what's this thread for?

I thought something happen

It about the Singapore Core/Spirit. The collective memories of Singaporean people that grew up on this country. You understand Junxiang?

• 3 months later...
Guest ben09

There is a lot of talk lately about all this Singaporean Core etc etc. And while recent sports headlines have been dominated by foreign born athletes, I would like to use this thread as an ode to our Singapore-bred champions to remember and honour them. Starting with Ang Peng Siong. From wikipedia: 

And here is a picture of him back in his heyday:

1.jpg8340AA01FDA20FB7C30B820D64C.jpg

Quite a hunk isn't he!!

His wedding, to Wendy Lee

Wendy_Lee_N_Ang_Peng_Siong.JPG

"Of the physical attraction, Wendy says unabashedly, “It was his body, lah! And the chlorine-stained blonde hair. But seriously, he is quiet, kind, unassuming, very different from me. His dress sense is poor, though,” she chuckles. He shoots back playfully: “Wendy’s and extrovert. Her outgoing nature helped me open over the years.”

25617647%20-%2026_09_2012%20-%20lsswim27

And this is him now on the left, much older but still very fit.

*salute to him

Guest Guest

Ang Peng Siong is a most appropriate model of a local sportsman who made it on world stage and to this day still maintains his fitness and physique, just compare him to the other sportsman who have retired from competive sports and skews day out of shape, he shows us that where the heart is willing, it's still possible to remain in near top shape though we may get older, hope he can train another dedicated sportsman like himself to shine on the world stage :)

Yeah he's one of the heroes in our tiny local sports scene. Will always remember and look up to him.  And gosh... he looks so good even though he's old, has less hair and skin not that firm!  Look at that power packed body, and that mesmerising smile... swoon.... *MEGA LIKE*

• Guest locked this topic