Male HQ

Why Are The Homosexuality And Homosexuals Not Accepted By People At Large?

leibniz

I think it has to do with humans' understanding of nature. When the majority is straight and relate their version of nature with their sexuality, gays are at the losing end. Worse when humans' interpretation of religion comes into picture...

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Guest Guest:)

to me, it's because they are still not open to the idea yet. in sg, the idea of homosexuality is an unfamiliar one. think about it, even though homosexuality has been around for so long, the government in the past has been clamping down on ideas that it does not deem as "appropriate". only recently has the topic of homosexuality surfaced in society due to the different groups lobbying for such causes, resulting in people being more aware of it. people need to be more understanding of this issue in order to be more accepting.

if you were exposed to an unfamiliar concept, I'm sure you'd initially retreat back to your comfort zone first, right? that's only human nature. what we can do is to give people time, although it can't be done in the short term. we need to understand the concerns of the heterosexuals too. it takes two to tango.

From society point of view and from perspective of homosexuals themselves, why do we have this problem?

Its not a problem if you don't care what society thinks.

Have confidence, walk tall, give "them" the finger.

We see things not as they are, but as WE are - The Talmud

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear - The Buddha

Homosexuality/homosexuals not accepted by society at large? Funny. Never noticed it. I dun think it is "at large" , it is the minority. Most ppl dont really give a flying fuck if u r gay or straight. It is not an issueunless u make it an issue. Just accept dat u cant please everyone all the time. .

Edited by PaterTenebrarum

Homosexuality/homosexuals not accepted by society at large? Funny. Never noticed it. I dun think it is "at large" , it is the minority. Most ppl dont really give a flying fuck if u r gay or straight. It is not an issueunless u make it an issue. Just accept dat u cant please everyone all the time. .

I think TS meant in an asian society especially those influenced by Confucianism. 

Its the vocal minority and the main ones are the religious God fearing Christians and Muslim. It was categorically stated in the bible that their god finds homosexuality an abomination. Non-Christian/Muslim societies are usually not very bothered by our existence and practice.

What irks me is these same people do not dare call for similar legislation against adultery, extra/premarital sex, prostitution which are also similarly prohibited by their religion. They are just a bunch of hypocritical cowards.

The reason I feel is largely due to the main 3 religion that promotes the desert GOD...ie Judahism Christianity Islam...

Their numbers alone are huge...

I don't see that much poisoning in Hindusim or even Buddhism

This is passed thru generations...telling people its the work of the devil etc....trying to get you away from GOD...

Society norms are preset into the vulnerable young minds and not many  get out of it...some cannot even accept themselves and this is really sad.

However what I see is some progress...where more young peple get educated they start questioning...hence their minds start to open.

There is hope in the future as more young ones are more tolerant towards others who are different and get to know such people and be good frens too.

I urge this community to be together and supportive for each other. Be a great human being,,,and when others get to know you better they will embrace who you are,

The issue of acceptance and rejection is something we all have to deal with since young.

We all have been rejected cos of our looks, race, sexuality, gender, behaviour and so on. There is no end to the reasons others can use to reject u.

Most people hv a need for acceptance. Just as most people hv a need to reject. They r two sides of a coin.

The more we seek acceptance, the more we face rejections.

Just look at how we make ourselves look good in order to be accepted by others. Nothing wrong with that.

But at the end of the day, if we can accept ourselves for who we are, then we can also accept others for who they are. Then even if others reject you, it won't bother u. Cos u know that their rejection always comes from something they cannot accept about themselves.

What does one being gay has to do with a straight guy or woman actually? That the straight guy will turn gay cos he cannot resist the gay guy? Or the woman risks losing her bf or husband to the gay? The need to reject comes from one's insecurity ultimately.

Edited by Only4awhile

But the thing is, how can the hetero society accept gay ppl when some homos still CANT accept each other as so many are at each others throats? I know buff guys who toss attitude at fat guys. I know gay guys who look down on trannies and cross dressers. Ive read abt young dudes dissing older guys. I mean if you want society at large to accept the community as a whole, gays should b less critical of one another. We cant expect others to accept u if u still cant accept yrself.

Edited by PaterTenebrarum

Anyone who wishes to look deeper into the issues of marginalized and discriminated minor communities would gain a lot of insight from the book Far from the Tree by Andrew Solomon.

The LGBT is not the only minority that struggles to gain acceptance into the mainstream society. You also have people who are deaf, dwarves, disabled, ex convicts, rape victims. Do not forget in our midst people who suffer from HIV, schizophrenia, autism, Down syndrome and the endless list of mental and physical illnesses. Don't forget people that we find hard to understand such as prodigies, the retarded, the hermits, the mystics and many others whose existence we are not even aware of.

As the writer pointed out, the more you try to assert your identity as a minority, the more you are going to be rejected by the majority group.

To put it simply, the gay community is not unique in suffering from social stigma.

Second, you suffer from certain consequences if you identify yourself as gay.

Just look around and you can see why the problem of social stigma towards gay or any other minorities existed thousands of years ago and is very much alive and present today and will no doubt continue to persist into the foreseeable future.

We do not need to blame others for our plight. Just look at how much denial there is amongst us, how much deception there is in us when we try to conform and gain acceptance by getting married, how much rejection and suffering we inflict upon one another, how much dishonour and disunity there is within the community. If you read some of the posts here, you will be struck by how angry some gays are from the way they take it out on one another.

I am in no way saying that being gay is wrong or any gay is at fault. It is the common destiny of the gay community to suffer from social stigma. There have been few individuals who seem to have escaped this destiny. Think Ricky Martin and Tom Ford. They do so despite and not because of their sexuality. These individuals are usually rich, famous or talented or all of the above. (Do not forget that many of them also suffered before they reach their current position.)

As for mere mortals like us who continue to suffer from this social stigma, we have to each find our way to fight this stigma. Some bury their sexuality, some flaunt it in defiance, some hide it, some accept it, some reject it. There is no right or wrong, just what one thinks is best for himself.

To put it simply, as long as you are happy with your life, why bother whether you are accepted as gay or not.

Edited by Only4awhile

Reasons?

-Religions: This is a tough fight. It's hard to REASON with them when they kept whipping out their religious text.

-Social stereotypes: HIVs/Casual sex/Gay guys are always preying on other guys

-Intolerance of our sexual practices: Straight people do have different preferences, it is only a matter of how the intolerance affect them? I have heard a guy said "You think I will listen to this guy (who's a gay) who sucked someone's cock?"

---

Sometimes some straight people made like a big hoo-ha out of homosexuality, especially when there's a rumor spreading around saying who and who is gay. But so what even if they are gay? Straight people can't do anything else, except to talk behind your back. (Well gay hate crime is not common here, thankfully.)

It's only important that we do not give up on ourselves even if the society rejects us, because our pioneers (sounds funny lol) have been braving through these rejections and have succeeded in their life and career regardless of it. We shouldn't whine so much about why the society rejects us, because that doesn't really change anything. In fact the rejection should become our driving force.

While we fight for rights for equality, each of us leads a different life despite the sexuality so you have to take responsibility for your actions. No equality law can help us if all of us starts blaming the society, blaming the aj circle, blaming everyone else for things we can't get.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all"

• Guest locked this topic