Male HQ

Reseting Window Password

fmen

anyone has an idea how to reset window xp - media center edition login password.... (yes it is that starhub one :D )... somehow my login password no longer work... <_< not sure whether someone has changed my password while i was away from my laptop.... :angry:

Try this:

- This will just delete the password instead of changing it.

Steps:

01. Go to Control Panel

02. Click Administrative Tools

03. Expand Account Policy

04. Click Password Policy

05. On the right, click on Minimum password length and type in '0' [without the quotes]

06. Go to Control Panel

07. Click on User Account

08. Click on your Account and remove password

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

01. Can you still go into Windows via Safe Mode? If so, apply the changes once you are into windows.

02. To suppress autologon:

- try hold the keyboard shift key while the system is starting, or

- press 'Ctrl + Alt + Del' to bypass the mandatory login prompt.

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

01. Can you still go into Windows via Safe Mode? If so, apply the changes once you are into windows.

02. To suppress autologon:

- try hold the keyboard shift key while the system is starting, or

- press 'Ctrl + Alt + Del' to bypass the mandatory login prompt.

press f8 to boot in safe mode...

when i press 'Ctrl + Alt + Del' it switches to another login prompt ( the kind that u can fillup the user name) and ask for password again :ph34r:

In F8 mode, can you login by clicking 'Administrator'?

If, previously, there is no password created for the Administrator, hitting 'Administrator' allows you to logon.

However, if prompted to enter password for the Administrator, type the universal coded 'password' [unless it had been entered/changed previously].

In F8 mode, can you login by clicking 'Administrator'?

If, previously, there is no password created for the Administrator, hitting 'Administrator' allows you to logon.

However, if prompted to enter password for the Administrator, type the universal coded 'password' [unless it had been entered/changed previously].

in f8 mode, click 'Administrator',prompted to enter password for the Administrator, type 'password'

still can't enter, say password wrong..... :ph34r:

i got only 1 user account which i double up as admin, did not create a 'Administrator' account myself. what can i do now ? must i really reformat my hdd?

Fmen, when in safe mode, after being prompted to enter password for your admin account, try entering your original password and see if it works.

If it doesn't, looks like your last resort is to reformat. :(

Better the Devil you know than the Angel you don't...

yes it is that starhub one

fmen, looks like we've come to the end of the road :unsure: - the only way to reset the configuration is for you to restore your pc with the recovery disk. This will minimize the whole procedure to reformat.

Though, I understand that you can brute force the password, it will be another long way and still, it does not guarantee a result.

Do note that you will lose all your data.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

hi fm,

Am just wondering whether you managed to resolve the problem.

Anyway, just found out another solution:

1. On system boot-up, Press F8 and select 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt'

2. Type 'net user Administration /random' - without the quotes

3. Copy the password

4. Use the new password to login to Windows

5. Once in, change to a new password

thanks ikutube...appreciated ur help...

i have use f11 to recovery my system.. i.e re-install window agaiin w/o formating

i am able to log-in now, however the system has created a new user profile for me by adding some subfix to my username.

Although i am able to see the old user profile folder , i am unable to access nor delete that folder.

is there anyway out in this matter ? It would be great if i can retrieve all my data in the original user profile folder.

I believe what you had done was an an in-place installation resulting in parallel reinstall of windows xp. Your system now has 2 copies of windows. The downside, it is taking unnecessary space.

It is possible for you to retrieve data from the old partition/folder. However, you need a third party data recovery program. At the same time, do note that you might have lost some data during the reinstallation. [Refer Microsft Support Article 312369]

Try googling 'Data Recovery Program' if you are still interested to retrieve your old data.

At the same time, it would be interesting if you can let me know the result when you perform the following:

IMPORTANT: Please do not click 'OK/Apply' if you are not sure what you are doing here. I just wanna know what's available when there is a parallel reinstallation of windows xp. Please click 'Cancel' to close the system configuration windows.

Start > Run > type "msconfig" [without the quotes]

In the System Configuration Utility, click Boot.Ini and click on 'Check All Boot Paths'.

What message do you get here?

Thanks fmen.

• 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.