Male HQ

29 Heavenly Christmas Foods From Around The World

Bern

Now’s the perfect time to host a culturally-diverse Christmas potluck.  I was told by my Japanese friend that eating KFC is customary during Christmas in Japan, very interesting. 

No better way to impress your friends by roasting the perfect turkey or having the best log cakes around during the feast, but there is more to Christmas than these two iconic food. Check out some of the season recipes below.

1. Coquilles Saint-Jacques (France)

enhanced-buzz-17431-1386610651-5.jpg

Scallops with herbs and cheese, served in little shells as an appetizer. Add that to the list of reasons to move to France. Recipe here.

2. Chiles en nogada (Mexico)

enhanced-buzz-3343-1386611711-4.jpg

This festive dish is comprised of meat-stuffed, fire-roasted poblano peppers covered in a creamy walnut sauce and a pomegranate seed garnish. Recipe here.

3. Feast of Seven Fishes (Italy)

enhanced-buzz-29235-1386614779-1.jpg

Calamari, linguini with clams, shrimp scampi — everything about this dinner commemorating the wait for the birth of Jesus is absolute perfection. Recipe here.

4. Hallacas (Venezuela)

These little packages of goodness are stuffed with a mixture of capers, raisins, peppers and various meats and wrapped in maize and plantain leaves. Recipe here.

5. Zakuski (Russia)

enhanced-buzz-18759-1386615229-20.jpg

These fishy appetizers feature many sour and salty flavors, making them excellent with shots of vodka. Recipe here.

6. Ceia de Natal (Brazil)

enhanced-buzz-27030-1386616462-23.jpg

This Brazilian Christmas turkey feast is unlike anything else, with a marinade made from champagne and spices. Recipe here.

7. Sachertorte (Austria)

enhanced-buzz-6783-1386615667-24.jpg

This chocolate sponge and apricot jam cake was invented by a 16-year-old in Vienna, as all good things are. Recipe here.

8. Doro Wat on Injera (Ethiopia)

enhanced-buzz-31107-1386617060-0.jpg

This spicy meat stew is perfect on the spongy bliss that is injera. Recipe here.

9. Chicken Bones Candy (Canada)

enhanced-buzz-21006-1386622182-23.jpg

A Canadian Christmas favorite, these candies are beloved by children and adults alike as they are basically cinnamon tootsie roll pops (with creamy milk chocolate in the center.) Buy here.

10. Vitel Toné (Argentina)

enhanced-buzz-18880-1386615584-0.jpg

This dish comes from the Italian immigration into Argentina in the late 1800s/early 1900s and is a platter of sliced veal covered in a tuna sauce and capers. It’s surprisingly light and the flavors all compliment each other. Recipe here.

11. Stollen (Germany)

enhanced-buzz-29277-1386610900-0.jpg

The delicious version of fruit cake, made with rum, spices and a sugary coating. Recipe here.

12. Lampreia de Ovos (Portugal)

enhanced-buzz-7804-1386619995-0.jpg

This sweet egg cake is a Portuguese luxury and is baked in the shape of a sea lamprey. Recipe here.

13. Imbuljuta tal-Qastan (Malta)

enhanced-buzz-21059-1386619585-17.jpg

Heaven exists, and it can be found in this cocoa-chestnut soup. Recipe here.

14. Porkkanalaatiko (Finland)

enhanced-buzz-11424-1386617306-1.jpg

This spiced carrot casserole is Finland’s answer to American Thanksgiving sweet potatoes. Recipe here.

15. Ciorba de perisoare (Romania)

enhanced-buzz-27578-1386620251-9.jpg

Basically a ton of meatballs in a sour vegetable broth. What’s not to love? Recipe here.

Join the official BW Telegram Group Chat: https://bit.ly/frmbw

16. Risalamande (Denmark)

enhanced-buzz-17853-1386616912-1.jpg

This almond-cherry rice pudding is a holiday staple, and traditionally involves placing a small treat (such as a tiny toy or whole almond) into the mix and rewarding whoever finds it in their bowl. Recipe here.

17. Hangikjöt (Iceland)

enhanced-buzz-21055-1386618410-11.jpg

Does anything really beat a smoked leg of lamb? Recipe here.

18. Mince pies (England)

enhanced-buzz-24084-1386620819-0.jpg

These delicate little pies arefilled with a fruit-and-beef-suet concoction and are a signal that the holidays are fast approaching. Recipe here.

19. Bibingka (Philippines)

enhanced-buzz-28302-1386619705-0.jpg

This rice-coconut-cheese cake is insanely moist. Recipe here.

20. Pavo Trufado de Navidad (Spain)

enhanced-buzz-28146-1386620562-13.jpg

Turkey stuffed with truffles yessssssss. Recipe here.

21. Kulkuls (India)

enhanced-buzz-32229-1386618717-5.jpg

India may have a very small Christian population, but that doesn’t mean the celebration is sparse in any way. Just look at these adorable coconut cookies! Recipe here.

22. Chicken Soup Avgolemono (Greece)

enhanced-buzz-20059-1386617549-3.jpg

Avgolemono is served as a first course at a Christmas feast, and with its blend of chicken, lemon, egg and rice is absolutely enticing. Recipe here.

23. Janssons Frestelse (Sweden)

enhanced-buzz-21006-1386620701-13.jpg

Finely cut shoestring potatoes and anchovies make up this tasty casserole. Recipe here.

24. Tamales colorados, negros/Chuchitos (Guatemala)

enhanced-buzz-20059-1386617887-5.jpg
Rudy Giron / Via antiguadailyphoto.com

An assortment of tamales is popular among Guatemalan Christmas and New Year and each kind must be eaten one at a time. Recipe here.

25. Beigli (Hungary)

enhanced-buzz-20929-1386618343-8.jpg

Hungarian poppy seed cake is sold everywhere during the Christmas season, but is so much better when you can make it at home. Recipe here.

26. Akoho sy voania (Madagascar)

enhanced-buzz-10528-1386619280-18.jpg

Chicken-coconut stew over rice is the perfect winter comfort food. Recipe here.

27. Spiced Beef (Ireland)

enhanced-buzz-22202-1386619020-13.jpg

Spiced beef is an Irish holiday favorite and involves a flavorful fruit and spice rub. Recipe here.

28. Bigos (Poland)

enhanced-buzz-17591-1386619874-23.jpg

“Hunter’s stew” is a delightful and rich blend of various meats, mushrooms and cabbage, making it the hearty meal everyone craves on Christmas. Recipe here.

29. Fried chicken (specifically KFC-brand) and Kurisumasu Keiki (Japan)

KFC had a very successful Christmas ad campaign in the ’70s and ever since, its fried chicken is a must-have for Japanese Christmas. That, and Kurisumasu Keiki, which is a strawberry sponge cake. Basically, Japan wins Christmas.

Link: http://www.buzzfeed.com/juliapugachevsky/heavenly-christmas-foods-from-around-the-world

Join the official BW Telegram Group Chat: https://bit.ly/frmbw

LOL, what a timing for a such post.  Only few days ago, a group of my friends insisted a 'forced' Christmas potluck where all attendees must come with a dish.  A dish that has to be prepared, whether one is a good cook or otherwise, and not bought over the counter.  According to her, this is a mark of love and giving from the heart :unsure:

Each of us went through the menu and I told the group, without realizing how well I will be able to dish out, that I will bring pasta in cream sauce.  Yes, smart me though I know nothing how to go about preparing it.  All I could think was to go to a supermarket, buy the pasta and the can of cream sauce.  Perhaps, throw in some prawns too. 

Hmm, any suggestion how to go about doing it? Or something else that I can add in?

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

For added 'gourmet' look to easy store bought ingredients, try the following:

Saute slice big onion, till tender, add in 'chunky' slices of fresh white button mushroom. Once soften, open store bought cream sauce, pour over the sauté onion and mushroom. Prawns may be added here in the sauce or parboil separately than garnish on top of serving pasta. Buy a small packet of grated Parmesan and fresh or dried herbs for garnish. Herbs may be coriander, parsley, thyme, parsley, oregano, basil, etc.

For pasta, make sure to add enough salt and oil in boiling water before you cook them. For a fool proof check if pasta is done, simply pick a small portion an taste.

Edited by shyc

For added 'gourmet' look to easy store bought ingredients, try the following:

Saute slice big onion, till tender, add in 'chunky' slices of fresh white button mushroom. Once soften, open store bought cream sauce, pour over the sauté onion and mushroom. Prawns may be added here in the sauce or parboil separately than garnish on top of serving pasta. Buy a small packet of grated Parmesan and fresh or dried herbs for garnish. Herbs may be parsley, thyme, parsley, oregano, basil, etc.

You're the best! :)

Err, guess this is for me, right?  Re the herbs, all or one of those?

Thanks, shyc.

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

Yap mean to response to your posting, before i could finish and sent, someone else posted. Use one type should be good enough as they are strong in flavor. More for garnish. To give your white sauce and almost pale color pasta some color and a light touch of flavor to break away from the rich taste. To be frank, I never done this as I find white sauces too rich for my taste. Done the same process with spaghetti and tomato base sauces but I think will work out for white sauces too. Something I picked up from a friend who serve this in a gathering. Makes can/bottle food more presentable.

Err, guess this is for me, right?  Re the herbs, all or one of those?.

On the side track, another trick I learned from friends. Lightly toast slice Baguette/French bread. Roughly mesh can of tomato base sardine. Add chop tomatoes, chilli, onion, coriander, lemon juice, pepper. Mix well and place them on toasted bread. Serve as starter or finger food.

Another finger food that is rarely seen these days are small slice of cold ham wrap over a thin slice of cucumber. Than skew over a small chunk of pineapple.

Yap mean to response to your posting, before i could finish and sent, someone else posted. Use one type should be good enough as they are strong in flavor. More for garnish. To give your white sauce and almost pale color pasta some color and a light touch of flavor to break away from the rich taste. To be frank, I never done this as I find white sauces too rich for my taste. Done the same process with spaghetti and tomato base sauces but I think will work out for white sauces too. Something I picked up from a friend who serve this in a gathering. Makes can/bottle food more presentable.

On the side track, another trick I learned from friends. Lightly toast slice Baguette/French bread. Roughly mesh can of tomato base sardine. Add chop tomatoes, chilli, onion, coriander, lemon juice, pepper. Mix well and place them on toasted bread. Serve as starter or finger food.

Another finger food that is rarely seen these days are small slice of cold ham wrap over a thin slice of cucumber. Than skew over a small chunk of pineapple.

Thanks again, shyc.  You made it simple for me to carry out my 'duty' for this Christmas amongst friends.

I wanted to do spaghetti but kenna rejected.  My friend said too simple! .. Hmm

Does using just half can of the sauce make any difference?  Cos, I think a full can can make it too rich too.  LOL, anyway, will only stick to this one dish.  Your other two suggestions, indeed, yummy! but don't think I wanna spend myself too much in the kitchen.

Urm isn't spaghetti / pasta almost 'sama sama' (same)? Lol just one red the other's white.

I haven't tried white sauce before but from tomato base sauce in can/ bottle, I know they are cook to correct thickness for serving. Added water before and taste is not as great as straight from can/bottle. I remember someone once mention using mesh soyabean curd (tofu) to cut down richness. I can only suggest, you need to try out yourself how much tofu, maybe just half. Try to mesh thru a sieve to get smooth texture. Add together and cook thru. Also do a taste test at the end to ensure your addition of ingredient have not cut down the original taste of the white sauce. Hope this help.

Shyc is right. Spaghetti is just a kind of "pasta".

Iku Tube, I don't know much about cooking, and I admire shyc's advices.

But if you want to keep it simple (but good!), you might mix the following sauce (for 500g of spaghetti):

2 small cans of concentrated tomatoes, and

200g of butter.

After 10 mn in boiling salted water, just pour your spaghetti in the sauce, and add 200g of grated "parmiggiano" (Italian cheese).

Good luck and Merry Xmas!

Shyc is right. Spaghetti is just a kind of "pasta".

Iku Tube, I don't know much about cooking, and I admire shyc's advices.

But if you want to keep it simple (but good!), you might mix the following sauce (for 500g of spaghetti):

2 small cans of concentrated tomatoes, and

200g of butter.

After 10 mn in boiling salted water, just pour your spaghetti in the sauce, and add 200g of grated "parmiggiano" (Italian cheese).

Good luck and Merry Xmas!

Indeed, I am glad he came to my rescue.  I am not much a 'western chef' and hoping my 'gifts' to my group of friends with that dish will warmth up and deepen our friendship.

Thanks so much to you too, Phil for the added tips.

Happy Holidays .. Merry Christmas and a Good 2014!

Indeed, I am glad he came to my rescue.  I am not much a 'western chef' and hoping my 'gifts' to my group of friends with that dish will warmth up and deepen our friendship.

You are welcome, Iku Tube.

I am sure you will succeed.

Have a nice party!

Congrats and thanks to Bern for all those recipes.

What typical Xmas dish would you choose for Singapore?

here people tend to associate xmas with turkey. this bird can only be found during thist ime of year. Not sure if they sell them oversea on other months.

http://www.soshiok.com/recipe/turkey-singapore-style-recipe

As a saying goes - you love them, feed them

A merry christmas and great new year ahead in advance

here people tend to associate xmas with turkey. this bird can only be found during thist ime of year. Not sure if they sell them oversea on other months.

http://www.soshiok.com/recipe/turkey-singapore-style-recipe

Thanks shyc.

Here too, turkeys are popular in december, but in december only.

Anything more "iconic" or local for Singapore?

Thanks shyc.

The ethnicity here plays a part. Though turkey is served but not all will eat it (becoming more like a center piece item to me), generally the food served is still influenced by the West. There would be ham and Xmas log cake, etc.

Then, there would be the Chicken Curry ate with french baguette, shepherd pie, green salad and so on. My Eurasian friend insists, for Xmas, a pot of their Devil Curry.

Thanks shyc.

if you are referring to only for Xmas season, I doubt so other than Roast Turkey. Not a major celebration here by everyone. Of those who do, they mostly are following trend and maybe a handful are keeping to tradition.

On a side track if you keen to know the local dishes that have been made popular all year round are:

Bak Kut Teh (Pork rib in soup)

IMG_7661-001.JPG

http://www.foodcanon.com/2012/08/auntie-rubys-bak-kut-teh.html

Chilli Crab

Singapore%2BChilli%2BCrab.jpg

http://www.singaporelocalfavourites.com/2009/09/singapore-chilli-crab-original.html

Laksa (Spicy noodle in coconut gravy)

SIngapore%2BLaksa.jpg

http://www.singaporelocalfavourites.com/2013/02/making-singapore-laksa.html

Curry Fish Head

fish+head.jpg

http://www.singaporelocalfavourites.com/2009/09/fish-head-curry.html

The ethnicity here plays a part. Though turkey is served but not all will eat it (becoming more like a center piece item to me), generally the food served is still influenced by the West. There would be ham and Xmas log cake, etc.

Then, there would be the Chicken Curry ate with french baguette, shepherd pie, green salad and so on. My Eurasian friend insists, for Xmas, a pot of their Devil Curry.

devil curry can be trace back to the Portuguese. Originally create from left overs that's why authentic Devil Curry include sausages, turkey/chicken meat, roast pork, cabbage, carrot, etc

http://singaporeshiok.blogspot.sg/2012/12/curry-devil.html#.UqkeUssaySM

if you are referring to only for Xmas season, I doubt so other than Roast Turkey. Not a major celebration here by everyone. Of those who do, they mostly are following trend and maybe a handful are keeping to tradition.

On a side track if you keen to know the local dishes that have been made popular all year round are:

Bak Kut Teh (Pork rib in soup)

http://www.foodcanon.com/2012/08/auntie-rubys-bak-kut-teh.html

Chilli Crab

http://www.singaporelocalfavourites.com/2009/09/singapore-chilli-crab-original.html

Laksa (Spicy noodle in coconut gravy)

http://www.singaporelocalfavourites.com/2013/02/making-singapore-laksa.html

Curry Fish Head

fish+head.jpg

http://www.singaporelocalfavourites.com/2009/09/fish-head-curry.html

Thanks a lot, shyc! :P

Now, I just need a Singaporean restaurant in Paris...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.