Male HQ

Want To Learn About Curry

but for the sake of posting, curries from scratch is really about what you like in it.

for me, the lazy man, i use a curry powder mixture base from earthern pot.

according to my mudder, (haha... dun knock her ok? she is as good as cooks come leow... ask anyone who tried her cooking :) )

earthern pot curry powder is closest to her own reciepie... which is good enough for me...

just follow the instructions except to use NO coconut milk or any other milk...

just heat oil, fry in shallots till fragrant, add in curry powder, stir fry till mixed, and add small amt of water (one rice bowl) and put in the chicken/mutton. stir fry mixing thoroughly under low heat but still boiling the sauce gently... add water if too dry... and stir fry till the meat is cooked to your satisfaction...

it's a dry sauce curry, like rendang... and it's quite delicious...

to assemble your own curry mix is too much of a hassle these days when others have 'perfected' the formula and selling it in prepacked packs...

the personal touch and finnesse is when you fry in your own shallots and chilli to 'tune' the 'spiciness' and 'hotness' of the curry. and your skill to stir fry the meat till cooked without making it hard carbon (overfry) or raw (undercooked)

enjoy!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I get my spices and curry powder from a indian lady stall in Teban Gardens. For a small market, Teban Garden is quite well stocked.

Just perfected a simplified dry curry crab recipe the other day and turned out delicious, just like the ones in Muthu's curry...yay!

• 4 months later...

For me, I suggest to h Japanese curry.

Japanese+Curry.jpg

You could easily get the Japanese curry cube/ roux at Japanese convenient store.

House+Java+Curry.jpg

Plz refer to the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uz2JjVhA9o

the chef is teaching to add banana into the curry! but i m always using apple, it is more than enough.

It might be as simple as abc if u just follow the instructions.

Guest Keefey88

Apart from using the earthern pot curry powder and preparation method as suggested, there are 6 additional spices that would make the curry even more heavenly. They are:

bawang merah (skinned whole shallots)

Ginger (smashed/flattened)

cinnamon stick

star anise

lemon grass (smashed/flattened)

sambal chilly (for added spiciness)

these are to be fried till fragrant before adding your curry paste. adding these will bring on a typical peranakan taste and style to your curry....:)... Enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I nearly burnt down my kitchen cooking curry. :oops:

Apart from using the earthern pot curry powder and preparation method as suggested, there are 6 additional spices that would make the curry even more heavenly. They are:

bawang merah (skinned whole shallots)

Ginger (smashed/flattened)

cinnamon stick

star anise

lemon grass (smashed/flattened)

sambal chilly (for added spiciness)

these are to be fried till fragrant before adding your curry paste. adding these will bring on a typical peranakan taste and style to your curry....:)... Enjoy!!!

You sound like a cooking expert. Are you one?

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

Guest Keefey88

Well, I would not shamelessly lay claim as a good cook... But there again, it's a title that many has bestowed upon me... So perhaps I'm not that modest afterall... Hahaha...:)

Which type of curry? There's difference between the curry that is added with coconut milk (Malay version) and the authentic Indian curry, which does not use coconut milk at all.

I requested my mother to cook Indian curry during the recent Deepavali and she cooked in such a way that the viscous gravy was so tasty! Indian curry is basically cooked by cooking potatoes until they 'melt' to form the gravy. The trick my mum employed was that she used US potatoes which 'melt' easily. She cooked so much that the leftover we used it to go with roti canai (roti prata) I bought from outside for breakfast! :lol: :thumb:

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

• 1 year later...
Guest Curry lover
Which type of curry? There's difference between the curry that is added with coconut milk (Malay version) and the authentic Indian curry, which does not use coconut milk at all. I requested my mother to cook Indian curry during the recent Deepavali and she cooked in such a way that the viscous gravy was so tasty! Indian curry is basically cooked by cooking potatoes until they 'melt' to form the gravy. The trick my mum employed was that she used US potatoes which 'melt' easily. She cooked so much that the leftover we used it to go with roti canai (roti prata) I bought from outside for breakfast! :lol::thumb:

Can ask mami for the recipe?

Can ask mami for the recipe?

Hahaha.... u cook for me to taste can? :lol:

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.