Male HQ

Petition To Help The 23 Koreans

Asura

Fine, asura do think they are silly to go such a place, but they are making the world a better place for us, moreover they help saving the poor and the needs in that country, why not just help. Below is a message that the website urge me to send to friends, but I thought of pasting it here.

I thought you would like to know about this urgent campaign to free 23 South Korean aid workers, most of them young women, who have just been taken hostage by Taliban fighters in Afghanistan. The Taliban are threatening to execute them this week, an action that could trigger a mass evacuation of life-giving humanitarian aid from all of Afghanistan.

The situation is desperate, but there is hope. The Taliban are all from the 'Pashtun' ethnic group, and observe a strict code called  Pashtunwali. This code demands, above all else: "hospitality to all, especially guests and strangers". There are rumours of infighting among the Taliban over these kidnappings, because they clearly violate the code.

A global outcry for the Taliban to follow their own code would certainly be covered by media in Afghanistan and Pakistan where the Taliban are based

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

Guest@10:08am

Obviously, you did not even read papers or watch the news properly, worst, never even read the paragraph I have quoted properly. I think no one will go to these place for holiday lor. They are aid workers providing help under the UN which Korea offer to help.

If they are on a tour, I don't even care.

Asura:

here's my take on this.

i dont think they are silly to travel there, Aid workers are meant to travel to places that are under trumoil (that's why the places need humanitarian aid in the 1st place) you dont see aid workers needed in developed countries (then again if anyone know of trip to aid tokyo exec men, please sign me up :P )

i do question how effective the petition will be. taking into consideration the motive of the kidnap is to achieve global attention and also to force korea to back off Afghanistan, i reckon the Taliban wouldnt be too bother on how this petition will affect their code of conduct.

btw i had signed the petition

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

well, of cause helping the 3rd world country is a good thing, but I still believe one must judge the situation of it.

But than again, when it comes to aid, normally the country needed the aid would be in trumoil (war, envrioment, terrorist etc...) So I can only say, they are been helpful and kind.

I also question on how much can the petition help. But than again, when you can just sign and spiritually support some cause, why not? I don't think I wanna think about would it help or not, cause I obviously not that "high level" enough to be thinking of that. As explain, the Taliban do have their code of honour, of which they hope that they would uphold that code, of cause in the end, they are dealing with people not right in the head.

And oh, if you have aid group going to Japan, enrol me too :lol:

Guest Guest

do good deeds - noble

do good deeds blindly - stupid

there are many places where help/aid can be channelled to, SAFELY & much more appreciated. these places ensure that aids/help/funds are channelled to the right people and not wasted. these places also offer protections to the aid workers.

knowing the danger and yet these koreans chose to go to Afghanistan, my stand is to leave them there and so be it. they know the danger, they chose to go. they be responsible for their safety. period. full stop. start behaving like an adult and take responsibilities of their own actions and don't expect others to wipe their backside after they shit.

do good deeds - noble

do good deeds blindly - stupid

there are many places where help/aid can be channelled to, SAFELY & much more appreciated. these places ensure that aids/help/funds are channelled to the right people and not wasted. these places also offer protections to the aid workers.

knowing the danger and yet these koreans chose to go to Afghanistan, my stand is to leave them there and so be it. they know the danger, they chose to go. they be responsible for their safety. period. full stop. start behaving like an adult and take responsibilities of their own actions and don't expect others to wipe their backside after they shit.

Guest at 0745pm,

I dont consider these helpers as blind or stupid. Yes, they have calculated the risks of helping Afghanistan to risk their lives but that is an act of bravery which may turn into martyrdom.

Sometimes, there are no better ways to solve a problem except to penetrate into the problem with the blessing of God or gods.

Guest, your thought is rational but you lack emotion. Your comments, "...don't expect others to wipe their backside after they shit" are uncalled for.

I confess I am not brave like those Koreans but I dont think it is humane to pass such remarks.

Perhaps you have been used to a comfort zone and anything that promises dangers are deemed stupid.

z

Guest Guest

imo, they r dumb to do volunteer work there..there r other places they can go to.

if they want to go such place, they sld be prepared to be killed or kidnapped. they sld have informed their family and sign a letter of indemity so that the whole country wont be down with their stupidity. PERIOD

Guest Guest

"I dont consider these helpers as blind or stupid. Yes, they have calculated the risks of helping Afghanistan to risk their lives but that is an act of bravery which may turn into martyrdom."

similarly, one can act bravely - in a more sensible way. as the chinese saying goes "you know there is a tiger hidden in the mountain, you still want to go to the mountain". this is what our ancestors taught us, don't they learn??

"Sometimes, there are no better ways to solve a problem except to penetrate into the problem with the blessing of God or gods."

apparently, the blessing of God or gods ditch them? before anyone accuses me, i am a believer of God. one can do a lot of stupid things and wish/pray that the blessing of God or gods will shield them from any danger. this is call blind faith.

"Guest, your thought is rational but you lack emotion. Your comments, "...don't expect others to wipe their backside after they shit" are uncalled for. "

who are the one who are putting their family members through agony, while waiting for their release? who are the ones that are putting their government/UN in a tight spot while negotiating for their release? have they ever considered the consequences of their actions before they embark on the journey of "no returns"? who is the one that is lacking emotion now? you can't say that i lack emotion. my emotion is anger. angry with their stupidity. my emotion is sad. sad for the family of the captured. my emotion is sympathy. Sympathize with the korean government/UN.

"Perhaps you have been used to a comfort zone and anything that promises dangers are deemed stupid."

i am not used to comfort zone as you have proclaimed. i have been through situations which many have never experienced. i have done things that promised dangers. however, before i embark on these causes, i measure the danger not just to MYSELF, but i CONSIDER my family, i CONSIDER the people who may be affected by my actions. and if i put my family, my circle of friends, the ones that i love in greater agony than what i will go through, i will THINK twice about my actions.

Guest bigguy

The contention was that they went to aid under the context of christianity helping the poor and weak. Missionary work are often under the context of the church helping put the poor and weak. One of the objective of such aid is to spread the good will of God, which is the exact reason it really piss them off. Anything that touches on religion (afterall the war is largly due to religion for them; oil for the US) will stir up emotions. I doubt if a bunch of od muslim Koreans went to help, they will be kidnapped.

"I dont consider these helpers as blind or stupid.  Yes, they have calculated the risks of helping Afghanistan to risk their lives but that is an act of bravery which may turn into martyrdom."

similarly, one can act bravely - in a more sensible way. as the chinese saying goes "you know there is a tiger hidden in the mountain, you still want to go to the mountain". this is what our ancestors taught us, don't they learn??

"Sometimes, there are no better ways to solve a problem except to penetrate into the problem with the blessing of God or gods."

apparently, the blessing of God or gods ditch them? before anyone accuses me, i am a believer of God. one can do a lot of stupid things and wish/pray that the blessing of God or gods will shield them from any danger. this is call blind faith.

"Guest,  your thought is rational but you lack emotion.  Your comments, "...don't expect others to wipe their backside after they shit" are uncalled for. "

who are the one who are putting their family members through agony, while waiting for their release? who are the ones that are putting their government/UN in a tight spot while negotiating for their release? have they ever considered the consequences of their actions before they embark on the journey of "no returns"? who is the one that is lacking emotion now? you can't say that i lack emotion. my emotion is anger. angry with their stupidity. my emotion is sad. sad for the family of the captured. my emotion is sympathy. Sympathize with the korean government/UN.

"Perhaps you have been used to a comfort zone and anything that promises dangers are deemed stupid."

i am not used to comfort zone as you have proclaimed. i have been through situations which many have never experienced. i have done things that promised dangers. however, before i embark on these causes, i measure the danger not just to MYSELF, but i CONSIDER my family, i CONSIDER the people who may be affected by my actions. and if i put my family, my circle of friends, the ones that i love in greater agony than what i will go through, i will THINK twice about my actions.

Dear Guest,

I accept your rebuttals....but these acts whether deemed by the world as stupid, reckless or brave do carry seeds of humanity work.

Perhaps I am softer in heart :rolleyes:

z

Guest Guest

dear reflection,

thanks for the acceptance.

just a short note: at no point did i mention that the acts carried out by the korean aid workers has no seeds of humanity work. :B)

and glad that you know yourself ("softer in heart"). a man who knows himself will go on and achieve great things when you use yourself wisely.

thank you for the very matured discussion.

dear reflection,

thanks for the acceptance.

just a short note: at no point did i mention that the acts carried out by the korean aid workers has no seeds of humanity work. :B)

and glad that you know yourself ("softer in heart"). a man who knows himself will go on and achieve great things when you use yourself wisely.

thank you for the very matured discussion.

Thanks for your wise saying...

Hmm.. :rolleyes: I wonder if I know you or not? :ph34r:

z

Hmmm, I went to read up more about this case of the Korean Christian aid workers going to Afghanistan to do humanitarian work & got kidnapped.

I understand one of them was killed subsequently.

I do agree with what some of you have said here. Surely they knew that going there was already dangerous, for anybody - no matter Christian, Asian, Buddhist, anybody. Yet, not only do they take that calculated risk to go there, they went there as "Christian missionaries". In very brutal terms, its "asking for it".

I am not a Christian. But I do know that most Christians who go to Islamic war-torn countries to perform humanitarian work - they *may* also - with intention or otherwise - have a side objective of preaching Christianity to the people of that country.

Surely already in a country torn asunder by war and strife, where religion played a major part in it, that's stepping on a land mine.

It is unfortunate they were eventually kidnapped and one of them is dead. But I think they should've known there were dangers going into this, and that this eventuality was one of the things they should've expected.

Yet, not only do they take that calculated risk to go there, they went there as "Christian missionaries". In very brutal terms, its "asking for it".

Actually they were there to conduct medical aid activities and other humanitarian works, and purely that, from what I've read. They are representing Korean Christians to spread the goodwill to war-torn Afghanistan.

All the good works don't mean a thing before the Taliban militants' eyes, they took the chance and used it to warn the world to stop meddling with their business. In a way, they are very frightened people, who have been suppressed for long time, trying to bring the country to what it was as before. That sorta reminds me of the Tamil Tigers.

We see them as terrorists, they view us as invaders. Doncha wish things are more clear cut with distinctive blacks and whites?

Either way, I wish the 22 safe and may the late reverend rest in peace and his good works not forgotten. And this is pretty much my 'prayer' as a non-Christian this evening.

google areanpull

Its sad really that he was killed. But I really wonder what has actually leads to the death. Somehow I wish his kind soul would well be rested at somewhere without war.

Guest Guest

sad that the reverend was killed, but in the first place, should he lead the rest of the people into the war torn area??

according to news, a korean lady led the group on the journey from kabul to kandahar. that's the "most dangerous route" and they did it "without informing authorities, frightened they they may be questioned".

hey, if my job is to go there and do nothing but helping the victims of war, then what is there to hid? why can't they just declare boldly and seek the authorities for protection during that "dangerous" journey? why hid and frightened that the authorities will question their intent? IT IS SUPER DARN OBVIOUS THAT THEIR OBJECTIVE THERE IS NOT TO HELP THE VICTIM. THE MAIN OBJECTIVE IS TO SPREAD THE WORD OF GOD. moreover, i don't have to join a church group if i seriously want to go and help the victims of war. it's as good as jumping into the lion's den and hoping that the hand of God will help them. some over zealous religious people are like that - think with their heart, never with their brain!

now the lady appeared on tv, crying to others, begging others to try to save them. claiming that they are sick, claiming that they are all not well. hey lady, LOOK AT THE FATHER OF THE KILLED REVEREND! such a sad figure, crying at the pulpit, praying to God, wonder what's going on in his mind.

people, there is no need to feel sad or petition for the safety of these kidnapped "victim". it is not the first time such things happened, and if they don't learn from mistakes, they never will. let the fate of these 23 people - now 22 left, decided by the Taleban. if they want to kill them, so be it. if they want to release them, so be it. if the lives of these 23 people can deter another 1000 or another 10000 people from doing something stupid like that, i think it is worth it.

These Taleban are muslims fanatics and extremists.

kidnapping the Koreans , they have political motives, which they aim to achieve.

Pleading them to stop will not help at all.

Getting pleadges is a very childish act! the taleban will laught at you.

Guest artemov

I once saw this quote: All Xtians want to go to heaven, but not many seem willing to die for it.

Remind me of Thailand right after the tsunami, when Xtians groups flooded (pun intended) the region, giving out aid and money for people to rebuild their lives, on the condition that they attend church services. So there's this report of a Thai woman who decided to stop going to church after a while, only to find her home, shop and properties (all "donated" to her by the Xtians) confiscated, and booted onto the streets penniless.

Here's something from the horse's mouth:

------------------------------------

Thailand: Tsunami Orphans Cared for by Indigenous Ministry

As part of their tsunami relief work, native missionaries in Thailand have taken on the responsibility of caring for 300 orphaned children.

In Thailand, as in many other cultures, tradition dictates that orphaned children be cared for by family members. These 300 children are currently living in refugee camps since most of their relatives lost their homes, possessions and livelihoods in the tsunami and are unable to provide for their immediate families.

Native missionaries saw such need everywhere in refugee camps they visited. They have begun providing regular meals and clothing to the orphaned children.

They plan to help with these children's food, medical and school expenses until they are able to get jobs and be independent. Missionaries have also committed to building 50 homes for displaced families.

They report that as they regularly deliver help to families, opportunities are arising to share the gospel. They will invite them to a church planted in their area on Sundays and hold children's Bible classes regularly.

These children are in need of long-term support. Christian brothers and sisters around the world have a unique opportunity to help missionaries care for them. A child can be sponsored with $20 a month.

Please remember the thousands of boys and girls orphaned by the tsunami in your prayers. To sponsor a child, or for more information, call 1-800-977-5650 or write insider@christianaid.org and put MI-604 720-TSO on the subject line.

-----------------------------------------

And they are doing it in Aceh too!!!

---------------------------

Reported in The Washington Post on 13 January 2005

Christian group's plan for orphans

Muslim children will be raised by missionaries

by Alan Cooperman, Washington Post

Thursday, January 13, 2005

A Virginia-based missionary group said this week that it had airlifted 300 tsunami orphans from the Muslim province of Banda Aceh to Jakarta, the Indonesian capital, where it plans to raise them in a Christian children's home.

The missionary group, WorldHelp, is one of dozens of Christian, Muslim and Jewish charities providing humanitarian relief to victims of the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami that devastated countries around the Indian Ocean, taking more than 153,000 lives.

Most of the religious charities do not attach any conditions to their aid, and many of the larger ones -- such as WorldVision and Catholic Relief Services -- have policies against proselytizing. But a few of the smaller groups have been raising money among evangelical Christians by presenting the tsunami emergency effort as a rare opportunity to make converts in hard-to- reach areas.

"Normally, Banda Aceh is closed to foreigners and closed to the gospel, but because of this catastrophe, our partners there are earning the right to be heard and providing entrance for the gospel," WorldHelp said in an appeal for funds on its Web site this week.

The appeal said WorldHelp was working with native-born Christians in Indonesia who want to "plant Christian principles as early as possible" in the 300 Muslim children, all younger than 12, who lost their parents in the tsunami.

"These children are homeless, destitute, traumatized, orphaned, with nowhere to go, nowhere to sleep and nothing to eat," it said. "If we can place them in a Christian children's home, their faith in Christ could become the foothold to reach the Aceh people."

The Rev. Vernon Brewer, president of WorldHelp in Forest, Va., said his organization had collected about $70,000 in donations and was seeking to raise an additional $350,000 to build the Christian orphanage.

Source: SFgate.com

-----------------------------------------------------------

What about Muslim extremist groups in Pakistan's Northern area after the earthquake? There solely to help?

Nothing cheers me up more than seeing fundies killing fundies. Poetic justice for gays (are you even aware of how Talibans kill gays?). But then again, I have been accused of being a G-Taliban :D

• 1 month later...