Male HQ

Macarons

I understand that macarons should be refrigerated and be kept in an air tight container. An air tight I can do but my problem is that I'm planning to give it to this guy for his birthday but I only meet him during my night class and I have work in the morning and I have no time to go home and take it. So I have to bring it to work and endure the day.

other than that anyone can recommend me a filling I can use that would not melt? Whenever I use buttercream it always melts after some time and my shells just keep sliding in between themselves. It gets messy

Nope no fridge.. My work place sucks and I might need to go out in the sun as well to different sites.

ohh cream cheese seems like a good idea.

I was thinking more or getting those pre made frostings. Those seem quite thick.

either that or I'll melt some white chocolate let it cool till it becomes quite thick and spread between the shells. Although it will become quite hard after fully cooling down though.

or my last resort is.. Nutella hahaha. Anyone ever heard of a peanut butter filling macaron??? Hahaha..

hmmmm then why macarons? why not make muffins (or kueh lapis!), or something less vulnerable to the local weather conditions?

haha cuz the guy is cute lol. Thinking of giving him 1 piece with a stick like a lollipop. Then I wrap it in plastic and put some ribbons or sth? Haha. Of cuz on one of the shells I'll write happy bday bla bla bla with one of those gourmet edible markers or sth lol.

Why has being cute got to do with doing macrons instead of muffins?

lol cuz I find macarons cute lol. Idk what's so good abt it but its so expensive outside and many are like head over heels for it. So why not haha. I'm kind of sick of making cookies though. I'm not into muffins but then again cupcakes seems like a good idea but they use cream cheese so that means it will melt as well.

Guest eepiyyppah

cookies on a stick. if you are really good at making one, no matter how sick of it you are, ppl will still love it. if you dun love it, you cant expect ppl to. if you get sick of it, ppl will only naturally grow dislike as well

You can use Chocolate ganache.

It doesnt melt easily, stays intact and goes really well with the Macarons.

Tried before.

Double boil a cup of chocolate and 1/2 cup of cream.

Whisk till thick and cool.

It stays on pretty well!

anD oh yeah, Ganache doesn't get hard. So it wont be a problem. It will stay nice and soft, intact too when kept at room temperature.

cookies on a stick. if you are really good at making one, no matter how sick of it you are, ppl will still love it. if you dun love it, you cant expect ppl to. if you get sick of it, ppl will only naturally grow dislike as well

thats a good suggestion but sadly im not very good with cookies. my cookies always turn out ugly.. ):

anD oh yeah, Ganache doesn't get hard. So it wont be a problem. It will stay nice and soft, intact too when kept at room temperature.

hmm ill consider ganache. would should i be using white chocolate or dark chocolate ganache?

I would think most frosting could melt especially if left out for a whole day.

Other alternative might be

POP cake

Or decorating cookies with Royal icing

pop cakes are a nice idea. but im thinking of having some form of writing or something on it. 

nice video on the icing though. 

Idea of Pop cake came into mind when you mention you wanted to make your Macaron like lollipop. Pop cakes are generally about the size of Macaron and no one say the Pop cake must be round. ;) beside you are also free to stick the Pop cake into a foam or cup and have your writing there.

Royal icing idea was reference to make cookies more exciting. Again size is limited to your own imagination. I once receive a Xmas tree-shaped cookie, size of my hand, with simple white icing for Xmas. It touch my heart so much I didn't want to eat it and pin on my wall for a while. Regreted my action as I forgotten to put myself in the giver's position and might think I didn't like to eat the cookie. Sorry I digress. Also don't worry too much about 'perfection'. Someone once mention to me that the whole idea of home-made is so it have it's own character in them. If they wanted a perfect one than they might as well get the actual stuff from professionals in stores.

Just sharing ideas and experience here. Had bought unique chocolates from specialty shops as gifts but only once had it opened right infront of my eyes and was a little upset that it was slightly melted in the box. It was brought from the shop after work, pack in my presence, took a cab, arrive, exchange greetings, gave the gift and opened. What I am trying to say is chocolate are delicate, so maybe it could be good for you to try out the Chocolate Ganache Macaron prior to the actual day. Putting Chocolate on your lap even if they are in a box and place in paper bag may also give it a change to melt. ;) (hint)

If all else fail, you can still fall back on cupcake decorated with fondant. I find it rather sweet and amazing that someone would go thru all that trouble just to give one Macaron... Lol so I am hoping to hear happy endings (pun intended). Good luck.

Idea of Pop cake came into mind when you mention you wanted to make your Macaron like lollipop. Pop cakes are generally about the size of Macaron and no one say the Pop cake must be round. ;) beside you are also free to stick the Pop cake into a foam or cup and have your writing there.

Royal icing idea was reference to make cookies more exciting. Again size is limited to your own imagination. I once receive a Xmas tree-shaped cookie, size of my hand, with simple white icing for Xmas. It touch my heart so much I didn't want to eat it and pin on my wall for a while. Regreted my action as I forgotten to put myself in the giver's position and might think I didn't like to eat the cookie. Sorry I digress. Also don't worry too much about 'perfection'. Someone once mention to me that the whole idea of home-made is so it have it's own character in them. If they wanted a perfect one than they might as well get the actual stuff from professionals in stores.

Just sharing ideas and experience here. Had bought unique chocolates from specialty shops as gifts but only once had it opened right infront of my eyes and was a little upset that it was slightly melted in the box. It was brought from the shop after work, pack in my presence, took a cab, arrive, exchange greetings, gave the gift and opened. What I am trying to say is chocolate are delicate, so maybe it could be good for you to try out the Chocolate Ganache Macaron prior to the actual day. Putting Chocolate on your lap even if they are in a box and place in paper bag may also give it a change to melt. ;) (hint)

If all else fail, you can still fall back on cupcake decorated with fondant. I find it rather sweet and amazing that someone would go thru all that trouble just to give one Macaron... Lol so I am hoping to hear happy endings (pun intended). Good luck.

haha. good idea on the styrofoam thing though. ill try out the ganache some time soon. well his birthday is in about 2 months so.. i have time (:

Dark chocolate would be perfect.

As it pairs well with the sweetness of the Macarons. Hints of bitterness pairs well with the Macarons.

im thinking of like adding some flavours to the dark chocolate. maybe if i can find a hazelnut extract or something? do u think its viable? im not too confident of doping anything into my shells yet.. LOL

2 mths? lol... Wow looks like all out to impress. Kudo!

Heard of liquor laced chocolate or chilli flavored chocolate but hazelnut without the nutty bites? Hmmm

Was thinking of rum cause I know they do sell rum essence in baking specialty stores. So no need to get drunk... Lol

Ps: a little coffee actually improves the chocolate flavor. As mention by chef Ina Garten

Fyi

Edited by shyc

If I am not wrong Ganache are soft when warm and firm when cool. The ratio of chocolate to cream determine the thickness of it when cool.

Chocolate Ganache Proportions

These proportions are based on weight. For example, a 1:1 ratio means 4 ounces chocolate to 4 ounces cream.

Layer cake filling and thick glaze: 1:1, equal parts chocolate and cream.

Chocolate truffles: 2:1, two parts chocolate to one part cream.

Soft icing and pourable glaze: 1:2, one part chocolate to two parts cream.

thekitchn

ADD FLAVOR & TEXTURE

Infuse flavor to hot cream: Infuse herbs and spices, such as lavender, into the cream after heating. Then, strain before using.

Add flavor to cold cream: Mint, coffee beans and tea leaves. Chop and blend into the cold cream, and allow to sit overnight. Strain the pieces from the cream when ready to heat.

Add flavors to the ganache: Liqueurs, brandies, extracts, fruit purees, instant espresso powder, spices. I like to use Armagnac, a kind of dry brandy. Add when the warm ganache has been blended and is smooth.

Add texture to the ganache: Add chocolate nibs after the ganache has been blended and is smooth.

STORAGE

After making and for storing, always place a piece of plastic wrap firmly against its surface so a film does not form or it won't form a sugar crust on its surface. Classic ganache can generally stay at room temperature for 2 days, as long as it's kept in a cool place, and then it must be refrigerated, where it can stay for up to a month. Let it stand at room temperature to warm up. But, there are lots of exceptions to this rule. Ganache can be frozen for a month or more. Thaw in the refrigerator, and then let stand at room temperature to warm up.

Baking911

haha. good idea on the styrofoam thing though. ill try out the ganache some time soon. well his birthday is in about 2 months so.. i have time (:

im thinking of like adding some flavours to the dark chocolate. maybe if i can find a hazelnut extract or something? do u think its viable? im not too confident of doping anything into my shells yet.. LOL

Ganache texture will depend on the amount of cream you added.

But for me, the easiest way for me is to just take about a cup of good quality Chocolate Chips, like hersheys then about 3 tablespoons of butter (Good quality as well like SCS) then put in a microwave for 30secs or till melted

The texture is just nice and it hold pretty well at room temperature.

Doesnt turn runny or melted.

Flavourings can definitely be added.

Coffee further brings out the chocolate flavour. As what SHYC mentioned.

Probably if you are looking into adding flavours like nuts, you can chopped the nuts into smaller nibs, fill the macarons with chocolate ganache then just coat the sides with those nuts.

It adds texture and slight nutty flavour.

If you are looking for citrus kind if flavours, you can try zesting lemon, orang or lime zest into the ganache.

Or add salted caramel to the ganache to make salted caramel ganache.

i went to phoon huat to look for markers.. they didnt have one in white. so i had to give it a pass. i forgot to browse through the flavourings section though. 

anyways i just found out that the guy broke up with his gf like last week. sad for him. but good for me? XD

SUNLIK TRADING PTE LTD

33 Seah Street, Singapore 188389

Opening Hours

Mon-Fri: 8.30am - 6.30 pm, Sat: 8.30am - 6.00 pm, Sun & Hol.: Closed*

*We will open on certain Sundays before the holidays season.

haha. doesnt really matter since i went out on a sunday ): wasted trip.. lucky i got concession pass. LOL

what colour should i get to write? on red shells. 

Not sure if feasible but you could try to write with white chocolate or dark chocolate while your Macaron are waiting to dry before baking. Do a cone shape with butter paper aka kachang puteh style and fill with the chocolate. Cut tip and test piping on any surface before doing on Macaron. And if u fancy other colors just add food coloring to yr white chocolate. Pink over red seem good but don't take my word for it. Btw I am not train in this area just happen not to have fence around my mind so my imagination tend to run wild... Lol

Better wait for VanillaChocolate, he's seems like a pro...

there are thermal bags out there that can keep the environment around the container cooled. Or some DIY icebox. if you're really that worried that the filling will run. Tried it before myself and i managed to keep an ice cream cake till about 5pm. Made it at 7am in the morning

Cooking is my passion. Music is my life. Reading is my sanity. 

Bitching about you keeps me happy. 

"People fear because of a lack of understanding, and a lack of understanding comes from a lack of proper communication on both parties, so to resolve fear we need to first resolve communication"

Of course you would need to replenish the ice mid-day. 

"People fear because of a lack of understanding, and a lack of understanding comes from a lack of proper communication on both parties, so to resolve fear we need to first resolve communication"

Just don't end up with Macaron soupy dessert after that... Lol

P/s: think Daiso used to sell those thermal bag. Good enough for a small size box. Maybe around the size of 2 sandwich bento boxes stack together.

Edited by shyc

Dont put the Macarons together with ice! It's going to ruin the texture

Keep the Macarons overnight. It will stay nice and set.

And firm.

Put the Macarons in a Macaron Box preferably(can be bought at SKP) or cake boxes.

Those small cake boxes for sliced cakes?

Once you have that in, taped the box with a piece of scotch tape.

It will stay nice and set and last well.

For added knowledge, which I also got to know while read threads here...

...But what you baked are macarons and not macaroons. They're two different confections.

Macaroons are usually coconut based while macarons are meringue based.  ^_^

It's sort of a 'yuppie thing' IMHO, a classy French patisserie. That's why it's blood sucking expensive to eat them hahaha. When it consist mainly just egg white and ground almond. I remember when I first ate it I was wondering why the big 'Wooha' about them and actually google to find out why. Apparently a good Macaron should have crispy outer layer and a soft inner layer. Hence the 10 minutes drying after the batter is piped onto baking trays. The drying time allow for a dry outer skin for crispness. Over the years the filling have evolved to many different flavours. On cooking shows there are even an Asian twist with lycée, mango and even durian flavours cream. Of course it's unique small circular disk shape and colour make it an almost equally expensive gift as the chocolates.

Haha obviously when i say that, i don't mean to put the macaron in the ice directly -,- Have a separate box to hold the macaron such that it is water-proofed -,-

Dont put the Macarons together with ice! It's going to ruin the texture
Keep the Macarons overnight. It will stay nice and set.
And firm.

ok now im having problems making the shells.. ive done like at least 6 batches and all of them came out with no feet. i dont understand whats wrong though. i used to be able to do it. my meringue were stiff. my batter was "molten lava flowy" i left them out to dry in front of a fan for like an hour. 

i suspect its the drying cuz when i touch it kind of still sticks to my hand but then i used to only dry it for like 30 mins max last time.. is it the weather ? =/

Ok like finally after a week of trials I got my feet. But the top I not as smooth as those professional ones. I cant really sift the almonds any further.. They keep getting stuck on the sieve..

so any idea what was the cause of your feet less Macaron? Not sure if this might work but can try mixing the icing sugar with your almonds before sieving. Almonds are nuts so produces natural oil hence get stuck. Hopefully mixing the icing will absorb the oil a little and make the sifting much better.

• 4 weeks later...

maybe u overbeat the batter and all the air was gone? u can't rest it for too long as well, 20-30 mins shld be enuff. 

other than that, can only think of batter consistency.

ok now im having problems making the shells.. ive done like at least 6 batches and all of them came out with no feet. i dont understand whats wrong though. i used to be able to do it. my meringue were stiff. my batter was "molten lava flowy" i left them out to dry in front of a fan for like an hour. 

i suspect its the drying cuz when i touch it kind of still sticks to my hand but then i used to only dry it for like 30 mins max last time.. is it the weather ? =/

Hmm I've only been trying the French meringue though. Yeah I'm guessing its definitely the drying. But I don't understand why it wont dry like always. Wait I thought air con would make the environment worse for the drying?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.