Male HQ

Arctic Circle - Northern Lights

Guest wozzit

If you ever have a trip north of the Arctic Circle in Alaska, Canada, northern Scandinavia or elsewhere, try to time your visit so that you can see a display of the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) at night. I was in the Far North of Finland 10 days ago. On one night we had a spectacular Light show. It is an awesome sight. You normally have to wait out in the freezing cold for at least 2 hours starting around 11:00 pm for them to start. So lots of winter clothing is vital! There were also some amazing colours during sunset and sunrise. Great trip!

Scandinavia2014_mr101.jpg

Scandinavia2014_mr107.jpg

Scandinavia2014_mr116.jpg

Scandinavia2014_mr118.jpg

Scandinavia2014_mr95.jpg

Scandinavia2014_mr92.jpg

This is really beautiful. I wish i could be there to see it with my own eyes.

I read somewhere that we are now in the period of the solar maximus. this makes it easier to spot the northern light. So for those wishing to catch a glimpse of this spectacular view, now is the time.

I read somewhere that we are now in the period of the solar maximus. this makes it easier to spot the northern light.

Thank you. I heard that too. I'm also told one of the best times is likely to be March next year. I was in a tiny village named Nellim about 1'20" flying time north of Helsinki. The flights were not expensive (if you book a few months in advance) and the hotel was also very reasonable. I have also been told that you can get great views in the far north of Scotland which is probably more convenient for readers of this forum.

I found photographing the Lights really a problem. Most websites will tell you that you need an ISO of about 1,800, aperture of 2.8 and time exposure of around 8 seconds. That gave me photos which looked on the camera's LCD viewfinder far too bright. So as the night progressed, I stepped everything down. It was all really trial and error but some worked. The beauty of Nellim is that it is truly on the edge of the world. So quiet the only things you can hear are the naked trees whistling in the breeze, occasional howls of huskies in the distance - and your own heart! 

Generally I'd agree. Surprisingly, though, in the case of the Northern Lights the camera captures them far better than the human eye. Don't know why this should be!

Edited by wozzit

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.