Male HQ

Chwee Kueh

I always thought that Chwek Kueh was vegetarian until someone told me that some hawkers fry the chye poh in lard to be tastier. Unable to substantiate this but what I want to know is does anyone know how many calories in one chwee kueh?

You can refer to this local website for the content of one serving of chwee kway

It's 167 kcal for 1 portion 170g serving with 3g of fats :P

http://www.nutrition.com.sg/do/hsnacks.asp

I like Chwee Kueh and my favorite stall is the one at Ghim Moh market. This stall must have been in business for more than 20 years. Its Chwee Kueh has very tangy texture, which is unlike the Bedok/Sims variety which are much softer.

Writing about it makes my mouth watering already :P

infact, chwee Kueh is high in calories and according to the website LupLup provide, 170g with 3g of fats is not so bad.

But do be reminded that what the website give is actually a non fat version, and maybe measure using a few stall. And take a look at the sodium level!!!!!

The chay poh is nice to alot of people, i guess maybe ask for half of it is better.

Is your financial is enable, ask for the chye poh to be separated. When you get home, you can alway pur it out on those disposable kitchen towels and let it suck up all the oil, before eating it.

By the way, this snack is all carbo, fats and salt, totally unhealthy. It is good to mix with some fibres....

Yes nicefatboy, chye poh is fibre.... but than it is preserved :P

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

Guest Guest
I always thought that Chwek Kueh was vegetarian until someone told me that some hawkers fry the chye poh in lard to be tastier. Unable to substantiate this but what I want to know is does anyone know how many calories in one chwee kueh?

I think most of them these days use vegetable oil.

If thats the case, they should go for the application for Halal status

I know them too well.... I can smell the animal oil inside the chye poh...

Do be reminded. Those chwee queh (those famous stall) is NOT vegetarian, for those who is thinking of going vegetarian for vesak day...

One of the staff is kind to remind me, when i plan to, last year :) nice lady

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

Guest Guest

Eh...the thing is if they use animal oil, the oil will turn whitish and harden after a few hours?

I bought it before and left it hours later and it is still eh.....clear and oily. :lol:

If thats the case, they should go for the application for Halal status

in fact... i've asked before some chinese stalls...

since they dun use pork or lard...

why not get the halal status as well and reach out to malay markets...

to be honest, the demand for authentic non-malay food is high... (except banquet la) but it just does not make much sense for these stores to go with a halal status...

some reasoning that i've encountered

1.) their outlet is in a chinese predomninant area (in the case of the old hdb building... whats that location... got the bus interchange one... can't remember... old place la...)

2.) they will have to change their cooking utensils and other eating utensils (actually its a misconception on their stall owner. there's a simple cleansing ritual to wash anything that has been in contact with non-halal food stuffs, so in fact you can re use 100% of all your utensils / equipment as long u engage someone who can wash the utensils with the proper ritual)

3.) its cheaper for them to get from their usual food supply. it seems that halal food supply chain etc costs more. higher cost of supply > profit.

its a pity that there's more so called disadvantages.

:(

Guest Guest

Did not realise bukitpanjang is Muslim. Always thought he some fat chub chinese kid. :lol:

Anyway, for halal status, they need 1 employee out of every 3? 4? to be muslim.

So maybe more troublesome. But maybe next time, they may open up the market to muslim.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.