Male HQ

Ikea Singapore Under Fire For Supporting Anti-Gay Pastor's Evangelistic Magic Show

oralb

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/ikea-singapore-under-fire-supporting-anti-gay-pastors-evangelistic-magic-show190415

By supporting the anti-gay pastor who has been actively campaigning against LGBT equality, what message is Ikea sending to its LGBT customers and others who support equality?
19 APRIL 2015  | BY SYLVIA TAN
ikeafamily_vision.jpg
Photo: Vision

Ikea Singapore has come under fire from LGBT groups and individuals for supporting and promoting prominent anti-gay pastor Lawrence Khong's upcoming Vision magic show in July.

Khong, who once called the LGBT rights movement the 'onslaught of the evil one', has repeatedly urged the government to retain its colonial-era anti-gay sex law and championed the LoveSingapore network of churches to lobby against gay equality in Singapore.

It is believed to be the first time that Ikea Singapore is being listed as a supporter of Khong's production to be restaged at the Esplanade Theatre in July.

Members of Singapore's LGBTI community have questioned the gay-friendly Swedish furniture giant's support of the anti-gay pastor.

'Many people know how diversity-friendly and inclusive IKEA is as an international family brand. They have even won international awards for positive portrayal of LGBT persons in their ad campaigns,' Leow Yangfa, deputy executive director of Oogachaga, a gay-affirmative counselling service, told Gay Star News.

'Hence, as a gay man and a loyal IKEA member, I was deeply appalled and offended to learn that they are sponsoring the homophobic Mr Khong's magic show.'

Touted as an 'uplifting tale about love, family ties and family values', the show is produced by Gateway Entertainment Pte Ltd which is owned by Faith Community Baptist Church (FCBC) in Singapore.

The 63-year-old pastor-magician and his daughter Priscilla have leading roles in what promotional material say is an S$2 million (US$1.5 million) production which sold more than 16,000 tickets in its previous run in 2011.

While the promotional material for the show doesn’t mention the show's evangelical aims, the church had issued a press release for the show's run in Shanghai last October, titled 'Sights set on China: Vision breaks new ground with Shanghai debut.'

Listing the Vision production in Shanghai as one of FCBC's five challenges, Khong was quoted as saying on its website on August 2, 2014: 'We're taking authority so that we can go (into Shanghai) and conquer in the Spirit. We know that it's not by might, not by power, but by the Holy Spirit.'

He added, We're going to tear down the power of darkness through the blood of Jesus, which we pray will cover us wholly. We're going to be allowed entrance, and any opposition that comes to receive us will have to receive the blood of Jesus first. Hallelujah! Jesus is the Lord of Shanghai!'

When contacted by Gay Star News, spokesperson Sandra Keasberry of Ikano Pte Ltd which operates IKEA Singapore clarified that while it is promoting the show on its website, they are not funding it.

'Vision is offering our FAMILY members a discount on tickets to a theatrical illusion performance that offers high family entertainment value,' she added.

The company did not clarify whether it is aware of Khong’s anti-gay stance and why it had decided to support a pastor who is known in the country for advocating discrimination and ill-will towards LGBTI individuals.

Jean Chong of queer women's group Sayoni said Ikea's support 'raises the question if IKEA is truly committed to diversity worldwide.'

'I would encourage LGBTI communities to stop patronizing companies and services that support homophobia in any form,' she told GSN.

In 2014 just days before the Pink Dot rally, Khong through his LoveSingapore network of churches called on Christians to join an informal Muslim group in wearing white to protest against homosexuality and defend traditional family values.

Prior to that, he had unsuccessfully tried to organize an anti-gay 'Family Values' rally on the same day Pink Dot was being held after failing to shut Pink Dot down.

He said in a Facebook post at the time, 'So, why are we giving Pink Dot leeway to promote their alternative lifestyles in such a high profile way? I would like to see our government leaders draw a clear line on where they now stand with regard to this moral issue.'

'Ikea's support of Lawrence Khong is a direct contradiction of Ikea's pro-diversity values': Olivia Chiong

Olivia Chiong, who co-parents a two-year-old daughter with her wife in Singapore and an Ikea customer for 20 years, said she was deeply disappointed and unhappy to know that Ikea is supporting the anti-pastor's show.

'Khong has publicly initiated discrimination and hate against any types of families that do not confirm to his ideal. An ideal that he has tried to force down people's throats. His blatant disregard and disrespect for fundamental human rights has been demonstrated in his attempt to rally his troops in a crusade against the LGBT community, and denying one of his previous employees her salary and maternity leave because she was pregnant before her divorce was final.'

Chiong added, 'Ikea's support of Lawrence Khong is a direct contradiction of Ikea's pro-diversity values. As one of the families Lawrence Khong has condemned as evil, I am concerned that Ikea will be seen as endorsing his continued hate speech against us.'

In 2013, Petra Hesser, Human Resources, and Steve Howard, Sustainability, IKEA Group said in a statement, 'We are guided by our vision – to help create a better everyday life for the many people. We also believe you can be yourself as an IKEA co-worker, an IKEA customer or in your home. We do our best to stand for equal opportunities and support the human rights of all people. And every co-worker can expect fair treatment and equal opportunities whatever their ethnicity, religion, gender, physical ability, sexual orientation or age.'

He was responding to criticism that an article that featured two women, Kirsty and Clara who live in England with their child, was not published in their Russian edition of IKEA Family Live customer magazine in order to comply with Russian laws.

In March this year, Ikea announced that it would close its Russian lifestyle website.

A blogger who goes by Sarah Jane in 2013 wrote that not only did Ikea remove the feature of the lesbian couple from its Russian customer magazine, it also didn't feature the couple in its Singapore and Malaysia editions.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Guest wozzit

When contacted by Gay Star News, spokesperson Sandra Keasberry of Ikano Pte Ltd which operates IKEA Singapore clarified that while it is promoting the show on its website, they are not funding it.

'Vision is offering our FAMILY members a discount on tickets to a theatrical illusion performance that offers high family entertainment value,' she added.

The company did not clarify whether it is aware of Khong’s anti-gay stance and why it had decided to support a pastor who is known in the country for advocating discrimination and ill-will towards LGBTI individuals.

Ikea is utterly naive in the extreme if it believes it is not supporting this homophobic pastor's show. The marketing assistance it is providing is worth a great deal of cash. Worse, in providing that assistance, IKEA is going totally against its own often proclaimed stance of total inclusion within communities.

Commercial companies like IKEA depend on its customers. The simplest way of reminding them that they are going against their own policy is for as many in the LGBT community to send them a brief email. The email form can be found here - 

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_SG/customer_service/contact_us/contact.html

All emails can contain the same message. If u r interested, u might just copy and paste this.

IKEA has long been recognised worldwide for its policy of inclusion within communities. In particular it has been active for a long time in supporting LGBT rights, both amongst its own employees and in its advertising. As far back as 1993, you ran a TV ad featuring a gay couple.  Last year you rated highly in the Corporate Equality Index administered by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation. This national benchmark survey reports on corporate policies and practices relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) workplace equality.

I am therefore upset and angry that IKEA Singapore has decided to highlight an event organised by Pastor Lawrence Khong. You will be perfectly well aware of Pastor Khong's strongly stated aversion to LGBT rights. Your representative has stated in the media that you are not funding the show, merely promoting it. Frankly, there is absolutely no difference since the cash value of your promotion is incalculable given your customer base.

Either IKEA sticks to its ideals and ceases immediately to promote the work of this highly divisive member of our community. Or I and many friends will in future take our custom elsewhere. We will no longer support IKEA Singapore since it clearly does not carry out its stated mission objectives. I will also write to IKEA Head Office in Sweden to ask why the Singapore branch has decided to adopt such a divisive policy.

In the email form, I suggest you click - Subject: IKEA

Once IKEA starts getting 100s of these mails, I am reasonably certain they will have to start to do something about it.

Edited by wozzit

Aside from that.. very simple if you believe in the cause, knock them where it matters the most, exercise your support with your wallet.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest wozzit

Aside from that.. very simple if you believe in the cause, knock them where it matters the most, exercise your support with your wallet.

Agreed, but we r only a small section of the IKEA customer base. U also must write to them. Far more effective in sending a message.

Agree. But as with anything I believe strongly in thusi personally have a list business establishment that I no longer patronise. heheh.

It does not matter if I use to be a big fan or buyer. If I feel sincerely justify enough i would seek an alternation. I can see formyself IKEA very popular and I know many gay friends who buy lots of their products for their homes and offices. I personally will not just write in my protest but i will stop myself from futher patronage as well if not I feel I am being hypocritic like IKEA. Just my view anyway.

Chiange the world for the best with one wallet at a time heheh.

PS: I already email myprotest. But there is no way to put a title as "IKEA" as you adviced so I put in under comments feedback. I used your message and direct it to IKEA Tampines

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Guest

Ikea always adapts their marketing strategies to suit the culture of the country they operate in. But at the same time, it deserves all the scorn it is getting now for being seen as two-face and feckless in pursuing profits over principles, when their marketing messages are singing a different tune in gay-friendly countries. Bomb their mail box with mails! Make them realise their grave mistake in treating their customers - and not just the LGBT ones - as fools!

I am speaking from personal experience. I think when you work for an MNC like Ikea, you have to localise your business to suit the natives. Ikea as an overall corporate is LGBT friendly, and pro-equality, however, they still have a business to operate.

A classic example is the annual Ikea catalogue. In the Middle-Eastern edition, women are photoshopped out completely or swap with alternative photos. It doesn't mean they are anti-women, they are just observing local customs.

With regards to supporting Lawrence Khong, I do think that they set out with best intentions, without digging too much into his anti-LGBT record. The best way for Ikea to express their remorse over the faux pas is not to support any individual or organization in Singapore in the future that are discriminatory. 

For the record, I don't shop at Ikea. Honestly, the stuff is crap. Tons of cheap plywood or corkboard. 

Love. 

Guest Guest

I am speaking from personal experience. I think when you work for an MNC like Ikea, you have to localise your business to suit the natives. Ikea as an overall corporate is LGBT friendly, and pro-equality, however, they still have a business to operate.

A classic example is the annual Ikea catalogue. In the Middle-Eastern edition, women are photoshopped out completely or swap with alternative photos. It doesn't mean they are anti-women, they are just observing local customs.

With regards to supporting Lawrence Khong, I do think that they set out with best intentions, without digging too much into his anti-LGBT record. The best way for Ikea to express their remorse over the faux pas is not to support any individual or organization in Singapore in the future that are discriminatory.

For the record, I don't shop at Ikea. Honestly, the stuff is crap. Tons of cheap plywood or corkboard.

Some of their kitchen gadgets and accessories rocks. But honestly, some of their pots and pans, most of their furnitures, and some of their angsty-lesbian looking, menopausal behaving female staffs from their curtain and cookware dept sucks!!!

Guest Guest

If that photoshopping of Muslim women out of catalogues and anti-lgbt pastor magic show joint-promoting behaviour, when juxtaposed with their Taiwan, European and America gay-affirming TV ads airing gestures, is not two-faced and feckless, I dunno what is.

Certain principles and ethos of a MNC should be preserved and adhered too across countries, even as their marketing strategies are adapted to focus on the native cultures and experiences they operate in.

Guest Guest

Ikea stuff are awful. Most of it are not durable and made of cheap looking material.

I'd rather go for Crate And Barrel/Howard's Storage World.

No offence, but Howard's storage's consistently inflated pricing and product quality and price matching strategies are amusingly questionable. Not that some of their designs are not tacky and cheap looking too. Even if money fell from the sky, I bawk at the price they think their ugly and dingy looking shoe racks deserve to fetch. For a small fraction of what they demand for bamboo shoe racks, you can get nicer designed and better quality ones from kim able household.

If that photoshopping of Muslim women out of catalogues and anti-lgbt pastor magic show joint-promoting behaviour, when juxtaposed with their Taiwan, European and America gay-affirming TV ads airing gestures, is not two-faced and feckless, I dunno what is.

Certain principles and ethos of a MNC should be preserved and adhered too across countries, even as their marketing strategies are adapted to focus on the native cultures and experiences they operate in.

I believe companies operating locally may make decisions independent of the corporate HQ culture. I think this Ikea incident will raise a flag to corporate culture on how to handle company pro-social campaigns. 

Love. 

Guest Guest

I believe companies operating locally may make decisions independent of the corporate HQ culture. I think this Ikea incident will raise a flag to corporate culture on how to handle company pro-social campaigns.

That's what I think too, as I do not believe no one in local ikea senior management reads local news and is aware of Lawrence Khong and his anti-lgbt stance. Only an idiot will believe he has no ill will against gays. Thus the ikea senior management should be taken to task for cross promoting Lawrence Khong's magic show, which will only help increase his profits and enlarge his power and influence to go against marginalised segments of society. If I were ikea senior management and realised what I was doing, I would feel immensely ashamed of my actions, immediately withdraw the cooperation and apologise to my lgbt customers.

Guest Guest

It has been heard in Sweden and as a "guests" said LGBT may not be a big share of buyers, but it still is a major issue what happens at IKEA Singapore.

IKEA headquarters is not happy with it overall.

Guest Guest

The LBGT community may be very small, but as long as we are united in repeatedly sounding out our messages, it will get through one day. :-)

Dream on ! Since when majority need to give in to minorities ?! As a boss do you prefer profits or losses ?!

Guest wozzit

I believe companies operating locally may make decisions independent of the corporate HQ culture.

Having worked for a couple of major international companies, I honestly can not agree. The local branches of IKEA will have some autonomy but can never make decisions if they go against agreed corporate policy. That policy has to guide all decisions worldwide. IKEAs head office policy is very very clear. Someone in IKEA Singapore goofed badly.

Edited by wozzit

Guest wozzit

So IKEA Singapore lied. Not only is it promoting the show, it is providing discounts for its club members. Someone in the Singapore marketing department is going to get a severe reprimand at the very least!

Edited by wozzit

Guest wozzit

The anti-pinkdot group is surprisingly quiet about this. No doubt they'll be saying the LGBTs are bullying IKEA with our insidious attempts to subvert our national security... or something.

If IKEA do change the policy of "supporting" the show, it will send a very powerful message to the corporate community as well as the community at large I reckon.

If IKEA do change the policy of "supporting" the show, it will send a very powerful message to the corporate community as well as the community at large I reckon.

To be fair, I personally don't see an issue with IKEA endorsing his show. He may be a shit person but he could be a good entertainer. I think it's too big a leap to equate endorsement of his shows with endorsement his personal opinions, plus It's not like his opinions are a blatant violation of state laws. Overall, it's feel like a stupid business decision for IKEA to even touch these kind of issues, lol.

Edited by EasleyLim

Guest wozzit

To be fair, I personally don't see an issue with IKEA endorsing his show. He may be a shit person but he could be a good entertainer. I think it's too big a leap to equate endorsement of his shows with endorsement his personal opinions, plus It's not like his opinions are a blatant violation of state laws. Overall, it's feel like a stupid business decision for IKEA to even touch these kind of issues, lol.

Perfectly fair opinion. But the pastor has made himself a very public figure. Like many similar people in the entertainment business n public life, you cannot divorce him from his publicly expressed views - in this case views he rams down others throats at every opportunity.

Edited by wozzit

Perfectly fair opinion. But the pastor has made himself a very public figure. Like many similar people in the entertainment business n public life, you cannot divorce him from his publicly expressed views - in this case views he rams down others throats at every opportunity.

True, but I feel that we shouldn't take such a superficial view of things. Sure, he may be a public figure but is he as popular as say, Xiaxue? I don't think so. Therefore it's not like he could do a lot of damage to the LGBT community anyway. People who support him will continue to support him anyway, and people who don't still won't. IKEA's endorsement *should* have no bearings whatsoever on the LGBT community. As for calls about how the endorsement violates IKEA's policies is analogous to saying IKEA's use of homosexual couples in their ads means they endorse the dismantlement of traditional marriage. I personally feel that that's a stupid link to make, and that it's something i expect from the anti-LGBT crowd rather than our own side.

Oh, and everyone knows people go to IKEA for the meatballs and cheapass furniture, not their policies. Let's not pretend otherwise.  :P

Edited by EasleyLim

Guest Guest

True, but I feel that we shouldn't take such a superficial view of things. Sure, he may be a public figure but is he as popular as say, Xiaxue? I don't think so. Therefore it's not like he could do a lot of damage to the LGBT community anyway. People who support him will continue to support him anyway, and people who don't still won't. IKEA's endorsement *should* have no bearings whatsoever on the LGBT community. As for calls about how the endorsement violates IKEA's policies is analogous to saying IKEA's use of homosexual couples in their ads means they endorse the dismantlement of traditional marriage. I personally feel that that's a stupid link to make, and that it's something i expect from the anti-LGBT crowd rather than our own side.

Oh, and everyone knows people go to IKEA for the meatballs and cheapass furniture, not their policies. Let's not pretend otherwise. :P

Your degree of complacency is worrying. Or is it naivety or overly simplistic thinking? Who listens to Xiaxue? Lawrence khong is the pastor of a mega church who is trying to spread homophobia in an already homophobic society. You are living in your ivory tower of make believe RPG FANTASIES, just like Lawrence khong in his religious tower and magic shows.

Guest Guest

Singaporeans are quite big and hung up on whether we are endorsing one another's opinions. Or not. How about helping in raking in profits for one another? After all personal opinions can be hot hair and it's where the money that's going that matters. In this case, clearly lgbts don't care about how bad Lawrence Khong's opinions on us are as he is biased, but we do care when allies start helping the wrong person in their business, when we all know his apparently secular magic shows are actually meant to open up more markets for his Christian ministries to proliferate.

Guest Guest

Your degree of complacency is worrying. Or is it naivety or overly simplistic thinking? Who listens to Xiaxue? Lawrence khong is the pastor of a mega church who is trying to spread homophobia in an already homophobic society. You are living in your ivory tower of make believe RPG FANTASIES, just like Lawrence khong in his religious tower and magic shows.

Singaporeans are quite big and hung up on whether we are endorsing one another's opinions. Or not. How about helping in raking in profits for one another? After all personal opinions can be hot hair and it's where the money that's going that matters. In this case, clearly lgbts don't care about how bad Lawrence Khong's opinions on us are as he is biased, but we do care when allies start helping the wrong person in their business, when we all know his apparently secular magic shows are actually meant to open up more markets for his Christian ministries to proliferate.

:clap:  :thumb:

Exactly. Who listens to Xiaxue? A cursory look at the number of FB likes on both their pages shows who is the clear winner (It's Xiaxue btw, at 345,144 likes. Compared to FCBC's paltry 5617 likes) Even if we combine the numbers of likes from FCBC AND the number of followers on Lawrence's personal page it's only 6617, give or take a few hundred. If Lawrence can't even get as many eyeballs as Xiaxue, what influence could he possibly have on the undecided masses? 

You give Singaporeans far too little credit, and have far too little faith in the society. Singaporeans are actually becoming less homophobic but you're right, we are still mostly unaccepting of LGBTs. Recall, when Lawrence tried to pull his silly red dot nonsense, did it not flop? Why would it flop if Singapore is still largely homophobic? That's because the religious agenda is clear as day. If there's anything Singaporeans hate more than rising prices, it's pushing of religious agendas. Singaporeans are not stupid; we see right through that shit and invoking "children" and "society" in their cause doesn't do shit to sway the undecided masses.

If anything, I'm optimistic about Singapore's attitude towards LGBTs.  

That's a perfectly acceptable opinion. However, I feel that context is of utmost importance here. Is IKEA endorsing Lawrence the Magician or Lawrence the Pastor? In this case, it's quite clear that they're endorsing the magician. Sanction IKEA all you want, I have no problem with the action. The only thing I cannot agree with is that reasoning behind it. Therefore, I feel that it's inappropriate to urge IKEA to cease their endorsement for Lawrence the Magician. It seems to me that most people have difficulties in divorcing what Lawrence says in his capacity as a pastor and what he does as a professional magician. What he does in his ministry, FOR his ministry, with his particular brand of Christianity is none of my concern. Now, if we have evidence that Lawrence uses his magic shows to spread discriminatory remarks THEN i'll support this cause.

Edited by EasleyLim

Guest Guest

Exactly. Who listens to Xiaxue? A cursory look at the number of FB likes on both their pages shows who is the clear winner (It's Xiaxue btw, at 345,144 likes. Compared to FCBC's paltry 5617 likes) Even if we combine the numbers of likes from FCBC AND the number of followers on Lawrence's personal page it's only 6617, give or take a few hundred. If Lawrence can't even get as many eyeballs as Xiaxue, what influence could he possibly have on the undecided masses?

You give Singaporeans far too little credit, and have far too little faith in the society. Singaporeans are actually becoming less homophobic but you're right, we are still mostly unaccepting of LGBTs. Recall, when Lawrence tried to pull his silly red dot nonsense, did it not flop? Why would it flop if Singapore is still largely homophobic? That's because the religious agenda is clear as day. If there's anything Singaporeans hate more than rising prices, it's pushing of religious agendas. Singaporeans are not stupid; we see right through that shit and invoking "children" and "society" in their cause doesn't do shit to sway the undecided masses.

It's not a numbers game. Xiaxue followers I would believe are youngsters. Whereas you don't know who are among the flock in Lawrence Khong's congregation. Your optimism is blinding you to the fact that most singaporean lgbts do not consider it an option to come out at work or family due to the masses who are largely still ignorant and inflexibly in their religious thinkings.

Guest Guest

When comes to profits , Lawrence Kong rules ! So what can you do to the profit king ?!

I am also the minority ones that dislike very much people to address me as uncle here ! What can do ? Remember minorities should always just keep their mouth shut , otherwise be branded as trouble makers !!

I think we all have a choice and affect positive changes.

Personally, I take this IKEA sponsorship very personally and have written a very harsh email to them.

And I shan't be buying their products from henceforth (not that I have patronize their business in the last 3 years).

It's my personal conviction that the public can affect the policies of corporations.

Especially one like Ikea, which has won international awards for positive portrayal of LGBT persons in their ad campaigns.

This sponsorship goes against their parent company's long standing policy.

I hope heads will roll for this faux pas. 

Guest Guest

Remember there are many others who prays to idols ,objects , tress ,etc here too ! How are you going to tell them it is stupid to do that ?! They will just brand you crazy , what more being a LGBT and speak your mind ?!

It's not a numbers game. Xiaxue followers I would believe are youngsters. Whereas you don't know who are among the flock in Lawrence Khong's congregation. Your optimism is blinding you to the fact that most singaporean lgbts do not consider it an option to come out at work or family due to the masses who are largely still ignorant and inflexibly in their religious thinkings.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the youngsters. They are after all the reason why Singapore is becoming more accepting of LGBTs. The long run, imo, is the vital piece in changing attitudes towards LGBTs, and in this case we have the advantage. The situation where people can't come out at work or home isn't gonna change simply because IKEA revoke their endorsement. It's not like I'm saying we should remain passive every time the anti-lgbt people throw shit at us but c'mon, this IKEA case is clearly a case of making a mountain out of a molehill.

Edited by EasleyLim

Guest Guest

I think we all have a choice and affect positive changes.

Personally, I take this IKEA sponsorship very personally and have written a very harsh email to them.

And I shan't be buying their products from henceforth (not that I have patronize their business in the last 3 years).

It's my personal conviction that the public can affect the policies of corporations.

Especially one like Ikea, which has won international awards for positive portrayal of LGBT persons in their ad campaigns.

This sponsorship goes against their parent company's long standing policy.

I hope heads will roll for this faux pas.

I bet the management of uncle's and auntie's mentality there will just brand you as a troublemaker or just another complain king ! Btw , Hong Kong based G.O.D shop that is very much pro LGBT is closing it's store here ! I do not see any LGBT cares or be bothered by it or even patronized it at all !!

Big Business Increasingly support Gay Rights. Why you may ask ?

Most MNCs take a global approach to do their branding and marketing. Progressive firms like Apple, Google, Facebook, Nike, Starbucks, Ikea, Microsoft etc know it is cool / hip / progressive to take a pro-LGBT stand. Such messaging makes their brand appeal to the younger better educated crowd. It is a business decision.

Singapore is a "small" market. I would be very surprise if the MNC Brand Guardians will allow such incidents in "small" markets to jeopardise their carefully crafted Global Branding and Marketing messages.

-------------------------------------------------

I take the following from Harvard Business Review

Big Business Increasingly Supports Gay Rights

by Susan McPherson and Laura Clise

https://hbr.org/2012/09/big-business-increasingly-supp

From Chick-fil-A to Apple, more and more major companies are taking policy positions on gay marriage. Arguably, there’s a business case for supporting it. Google, Starbucks, Nike, General Mills, and other big brands have all opened themselves up to both the potential risk and opportunity of supporting LGBT equality. Even Lloyd Blankfein, CEO of Goldman Sachs, announced his support in a Human Rights Campaign public service announcement: “America’s corporations learned long ago that equality is just good business and it’s the right thing to do.”

There has been a steady increase in the number of large employers including sexual orientation in non-discrimination policies and offering same-sex partner benefits. A 2010 Mercer survey of about 3,000 companies found that same-sex benefits were offered by 72 percent of companies employing more than 20,000 people. Americans align themselves with brands that reflect their values — and according to recent opinion polls by Gallup, ABC, and CNN, marriage equality is now supported by a majority of mainstream Americans.

Surely no company wants to discriminate, and all should consider the growing support for one of the last frontiers of federal civil rights. But there are also concrete business reasons for a company announcing its support of LGBT equality — all tied to the bottom line.

It boosts employee recruitment and retention. The 15th Annual PWC Global CEO Survey (2012) section titled “The Talent Challenge” focused on the impact talent recruitment and retention has on business growth and competitive differentiation. The study also highlighted the increasing recognition of the importance of employee engagement in improved performance and retention. As a recognized and critical success driver, it is not surprising that some companies have cited talent as a key argument for supporting LGBT equality. Additionally, with LGBT employees making up 5-10% of the working population, companies neglecting to promote an inclusive culture will likely miss out on the opportunity to attract top talent from this segment of the workforce.

Former President Bill Clinton emphasized this point with a message to North Carolinians earlier this year, urging them to vote against the state’s proposed ban same-sex marriage. He said: “What it will change is North Carolina’s ability to keep businesses, attract new jobs, and attract and keep talented entrepreneurs.” Microsoft echoed Clinton’s argument with a post on the company blog in January 2012 announcing its alliance with other Washington State-based businesses taking a stand in support of marriage equality: “As other states recognize marriage equality, Washington’s employers are at a disadvantage if we cannot offer a similar, inclusive environment to our talented employees, our top recruits and their families.”

Corporate cultures where diversity and openness thrive will more likely attract top talent, especially young, creative, and entrepreneurial candidates. For example, when Dow Chemical received recognition from the Human Rights Campaign for its support of LGBT rights, the company agreed with this sentiment: “We have long believed that the ability to present a truly diverse and inclusive workplace is critical to our success and integral to our strategy to attract, develop and retain the best and brightest talent.” This kind of inclusive environment not only warms the LGBT talent base to your company, but also their friends and family, who happen to make up 60% of the population according to a recent CNN poll.

The marketplace demands it. Back in 1991, a Wall Street Journal article included a chart entitled, “A Dream Market,” comparing gay households to the national average, noting the relative potential advertising appeal for a variety of industries. The two decades that have followed have seen an increase in marketing and advertising to the LGBT market that Marketing firm Witeck-Combs estimated at $800 billion in 2011.

LGBT marketing is on the rise. In May, JCPenney released a Father’s Day ad featuring two dads and their kids; the ad debuted several months after the organization One Million Moms attempted to boycott the department store for selecting Ellen DeGeneres as its spokesperson. In June, it was reported that Apple’s new mobile operating system, iOS6, will include gay and lesbian couple icons as emoticon selections. Kraft Foods and its Oreo brand celebrated 2012 Pride Month with a colorful (and ultimately controversial) Facebook posting and tweet of the iconic sandwich cookie. And GM received a nomination from the 2012 Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation Amplifier Awards for an advertisement that targeted LGBT consumers with a Chevy Volt “coming out” as an electric vehicle.

In this vein, many companies are taking a stance based on economic competitiveness and business opportunity. After Macy’s came under attack for releasing a catalogue featuring a same-sex couple atop a wedding cake, the department store released this statement: “Macy’s proudly serves a large and diverse marketplace, including customers with a wide range of needs and preferences. We strive to embrace customers of all ethnic backgrounds, ages, races, faith traditions, genders and lifestyles through the products we sell and the content of our marketing.” Fred Keeton of Caesars Entertainment — which is listed as a platinum member of the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association Foundation — put it simply: “The LGBT community is an incredibly important market segment for our properties.”

Public corporate support for LGBT equality brings with it both business risk and opportunity. But the last five years have seen a significant increase in the number of companies deciding to embrace the reward rather than the risk of voicing support for LGBT rights. The rationale is clear — supporting marriage equality makes business sense, and according to many companies, it’s also the right thing to do.

I don't think it's making a mountain out of a molehill.

It's taking a stance and letting corporations know that there will be consequences if they are so blasé about who they choose to support and sponsor. 

If chosen wisely, it can enhance the corporate image of a company.

Unfortunately, in this case, sponsoring Pastor Khong has become a PR nightmare for them. Very unwise. 

Guest Guest

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the youngsters. They are after all the reason why Singapore is becoming more accepting of LGBTs. The long run, imo, is the vital piece in changing attitudes towards LGBTs, and in this case we have the advantage. The situation where people can't come out at work or home isn't gonna change simply because IKEA revoke their endorsement. It's not like I'm saying we should remain passive every time the anti-lgbt people throw shit at us but c'mon, this IKEA case is clearly a case of making a mountain out of a molehill.

If "mountains are not made out of mole hills", we will have soon moles from hills graduate to making mountains. You think if no mountains are made the moles have to resort to making mole hills instead of mountains? Mountains are what makes moles content at making mole hills!

Guest Guest

Exactly. Who listens to Xiaxue? A cursory look at the number of FB likes on both their pages shows who is the clear winner (It's Xiaxue btw, at 345,144 likes. Compared to FCBC's paltry 5617 likes) Even if we combine the numbers of likes from FCBC AND the number of followers on Lawrence's personal page it's only 6617, give or take a few hundred. If Lawrence can't even get as many eyeballs as Xiaxue, what influence could he possibly have on the undecided masses?

You give Singaporeans far too little credit, and have far too little faith in the society. Singaporeans are actually becoming less homophobic but you're right, we are still mostly unaccepting of LGBTs. Recall, when Lawrence tried to pull his silly red dot nonsense, did it not flop? Why would it flop if Singapore is still largely homophobic? That's because the religious agenda is clear as day. If there's anything Singaporeans hate more than rising prices, it's pushing of religious agendas. Singaporeans are not stupid; we see right through that shit and invoking "children" and "society" in their cause doesn't do shit to sway the undecided masses.

That's a perfectly acceptable opinion. However, I feel that context is of utmost importance here. Is IKEA endorsing Lawrence the Magician or Lawrence the Pastor? In this case, it's quite clear that they're endorsing the magician. Sanction IKEA all you want, I have no problem with the action. The only thing I cannot agree with is that reasoning behind it. Therefore, I feel that it's inappropriate to urge IKEA to cease their endorsement for Lawrence the Magician. It seems to me that most people have difficulties in divorcing what Lawrence says in his capacity as a pastor and what he does as a professional magician. What he does in his ministry, FOR his ministry, with his particular brand of Christianity is none of my concern. Now, if we have evidence that Lawrence uses his magic shows to spread discriminatory remarks THEN i'll support this cause.

You think his magic show is just magic show, is it? You are incredibly naive. I shall cease talking to you before I vomit blood.

Guest Guest

Open your eyes wide and observe for any country who employs more female to work than men , you think they do care about LGBT matters !! If they do not care if straight or gay guys who are fathers , brothers , or sole bread winner for the family going without job , what makes you think they care anything about LGBT matters !!

--

Please do NOT go off topic about Ikea !

Hendry Tan

Admin cum Mod

If "mountains are not made out of mole hills", we will have soon moles from hills graduate to making mountains. You think if no mountains are made the moles have to resort to making mole hills instead of mountains? Mountains are what makes moles content at making mole hills!

I think you had a point but halfway through it somehow got away from you.

Pls keep sending the emails. I got a reply saying they will respond in 72 hours. What they say will be interesting!!

Yup got mine too...

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry for the unhappiness this has caused. Our management are already reviewing it and we will come back when we have more information.

For all other enquiries, we welcome you to contact the IKEA call-centre hotline at +65 6786 6868 or check out our website at www.IKEA.com.sg

Kind Regards,
Nurul
Customer Relations

IKEA Singapore

Ikano Private Limited

IKEA Alexandra 317 Alexandra Road, Singapore 159965
IKEA Tampines 60 Tampines North Drive 2, Singapore 528764

Hotline : +65 6786 6868

Oh, and everyone knows people go to IKEA for the meatballs and cheapass furniture, not their policies. Let's not pretend otherwise. :P

U drunk when u posted this right? Didn't do enough damage? The damage went further than just library books, even non-LGBTs are annoyed. I find it amusing that you relate gay ads to dismantling of traditional marriage. Which church taught you that? LOL! Can't it be associated with something like accepting differences? This pastor is notoriously anti-gay and IKEA has just supported that. That's just so asking for trouble.

U drunk when u posted this right? Didn't do enough damage? The damage went further than just library books, even non-LGBTs are annoyed. I find it amusing that you relate gay ads to dismantling of traditional marriage. Which church taught you that? LOL! Can't it be associated with something like accepting differences? This pastor is notoriously anti-gay and IKEA has just supported that. That's just so asking for trouble.

How is it damage done to the lgbt community if the heteros are annoyed too? ._. If anything, didn't it *decrease* his popularity with the undecided masses?

Also, I used the example of linking gay ads with dismantling of traditional marriage to demonstrate the ridiculousness of linking endorsement of the magic show with endorsement of his views. Objectively speaking, it doesn't make sense. But I guess people are gonna be unhappy either way because like what you said, it's just asking for trouble.

I want to add that I consider him a lot more 'dangerous' for want of a better word. I can still tolerant the rambling from a celenbrity or other public figure. In this case we are talking about someone who weild the power and influence of religion. Tha power to shape minds and even so far dare I say brainwash and cultivate anythign from gender bias to sexual bias to intolerantce of other religions and the list goes on. Someone in that kind of position are way more danger to society overtime. The problem here also lies in the fact that given we have a govt that still protects and maintain gay sex as unnatural sex and unlawful for example.

Anyone including religiou zealots church leaders will justify that law supports what they preach in order to pander to conservative people locally. It's not so much about their belief in that BUT a sly means to gain support and increase followers with like minded belief ..... as means to get into their pockets.

As I once learned. in the bible gay was not moral was only spoken once but in the same bible it is wrong to eat shrimps has been mentioned 6 time but yet you never see any preacher telling you not to eat it. It's silly yet we see many people doing silly things preached or taught by man of the cloth. Thus I can not let this past. If anything but for that reason alone.

ALSO I think to attack a big well known company like that in Singapore.. sends a very strong and penetrating message to smaller or larger companies alike. And whack that crazy preacher as well one back for the shit he said in the past.

That's a two-for-one special not to miss.

Edited by upshot

Guest Guest

I have attended the magic show many years ago. At the end of the show, there was some church kind of survey.. So u can say it is Lawrence the Magician -cum-Pastor

• Guest locked this topic