Male HQ

Home Cooked Food

At most times, when u live abroad you missed food back at home and it is during these periods that you train and test your cooking skills. So in this series of, If Andy can cook So can U :lol: , we discuss and spar on our cooking knowledge and skills on Home Cook Food/ or food u can cum up with at home :D

Home Cook Food Part I

Steamed Minced Pork with Eggs

Materials

=====================================

Minced pork 200g (or use 200g of Asura)

Eggs x2

Soya Sauce 2 spoonful

Salt 1 tea spoon

Sugar 2 spoonfuls

Water 1/2 a cup

=====================================

Directions

Mix the minced pork and beaten eggs in a bowl.

Add Soya sauce, salt and sugar

Add Water

Mix and steam for 45 mins

Variation

Can add sliced crab meat too

:)

Home Cook Food Part II

I learn this from thia friends. easy to cook and gd to eat :)

Tom Yam Soup

Materials

================================

LOBA brand tom yam paste (This brand is recommended, let me know if u find better ones, ya?)

Squid x2

Shrimp x10

Mushrooms type 1 x 1 packet TypeI

Mushrooms type 2 (any other types) Brown mushrooms can use white ones too

Lime x3

Lime leaves a handful

Garlic x1

Water one bowl

Directions

====================================

Boil the water

Cut squid to small slices

Cut Type 2 mushrooms into slices

Add the Tomyam paste, lime leaves, smashed garlic

Add mushrooms(all), shrimps and squid

Lower heat

Add juice squeezed from lime, fish sauce and sugar for taste

Variations

==================================

Can add sliced pork

And can beat up an egg and add to soup

:)

Hope to see more recipes. Sometimes, it can be at my wit's end to think what to cook. <_<

Prefer something real simple, quick and no frying. :D

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Sry iku.. have been busy. anyway this is for u :) maybe u know how to do this dish already>>

Home cooked food III

Chicken Soup.

Materials

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Water 1xbig bowl

Chicken 2x breast meat (400g)

Salt 1x spoonful

Dried garlic 2x spoonful

Dried Red seeds 2x spoonful

(not sure wats the name, but is can be found in Chinese medical shops and supermarkets I think.The dried red seeds.)

shitake dried mushrooms 6-7 mushrooms

Directions

Soak dried mushrooms in water for 5-10mins till it turns abit soft

Wash chicken meat and swap the meat with salt

Put into a large bowel the shitake mushroom, dried garlic and red seed

Put chicken on top of it

Add water to fill the bowl

Steam for 45mins.

Other notes: u can make hard boiled egg and put into soup.

Can use other types of chicken meat. I try to avoid those wit skin coz too much oil after steaming.

Dried Red seeds  2x spoonful

(not sure wats the name, but is can be found in Chinese medical shops and supermarkets I think.The dried red seeds.)

I think it is called 'Boxthorn Fruits' - which is said to be good for eyes [clear vision], strengthen the kidneys, restore semen [Guys should take it! :D ] and nourish the liver.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

• 3 weeks later...
Minced pork 200g (or use 200g of Asura)

Wah Andy, you want to eat me arh :lol:

Anyway, I of the dish I have always been cooking which is my all time favourite and a balance meal.

Stir-fried Broccoli with meat and prawns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broccoli - cut into small stems, fill 2 big cups enough for 1-2 person

Carrots - half a carrot, sliced

Lean meat - your palm size, sliced

Prawns - about 2 to 3 whole medium size prawn, shelled it till left only head and tail

Chicken Powder - 1 spoonful

Olive Oil - I spoonful

Oyster Sauce - 2 big spoonful (can subsitute with Vegetarian oyster sause, which is make of mushroom)

Mesh Garlic - 2 teaspoon

Notice that the ingredients do not have excat weight to them as my home cook food, I never weight them or calculate them. The amount of vegetable is the recommended amount by the ministry of health, in order to maintain a healthy life and heart function. It is also recommended that in one meal, meat of no larger than a palm size be consume, which is why I have done this dish like this.

Steps

---------------

1. Boil a pot of water, when it boil, put the carrot and broccoli into the boiling water (water should cover all the vegetable, do remember to boil your vegetable in more water) cook them for about 1 to 2 minutes. Do not cook them too long as there will be another cooking again. After that, rest them on a piece of plate and cool.

2. Pour a spoonful of Olive Oil onto the wok and make sure it heated up. Put in the garlic and stir-fried it until the pleasant aroma comes out or until the garlic marsh is turning abit golden yellow.

3. Put the meat in and stir-fried, when it is half cook, put in all the broccoli and carrots.

4. Stir-fry for about 1 minute, make sure it is being toss and turn evenly, put in the chicken powder, stir-fry abit to make sure it melted in.

5. Put in the oyster sauce, stir-fry to mix it evenly well, than put in the prawns last. At least stir-fry for another 1 minute.

6. Scope everything to the dish, once all the prawns are red (by looking at the prawns head) and no longer greyish, this is to make sure the prawns are cooked and yet not too long so that it taste better.

This simple dish contains all the vege and meat needs and with a bowl of rice, your meal can be completed. For people who have crave for stronger taste, you may add in some soya sauce to make it saltier, but do remember that chicken powder is already a bit salty. I occasionally throw in some shredded chilli slice to make it look colourful and with abit hot taste, cause I love chilli.

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

• 3 weeks later...

when i was living overseas, i used to cook for my apartment roomies... they buy the groceries (i.e. pay for them when we shop) and do the dishes...

did quite a few dishes in my days including Hainanese Chicken Rice, Chillli sambal prawns, dry style curry chicken (like rendang), satay, and even fried salted fish...

haha fried salted fish only during weekends... when most of the angmoh gone for the day... but it attracts the other asian tenants like flies hahaha who knock on the door and offer barter trade for the fried salted fish...

fried salted fish is easily the best 'simple meal'

simply dice the salted fish and slow pan fry in very low fire till golden brown and a little crispy... and the smell... it just keeps on coming... in the low fire...

a palmful of salted fish can last you up to 3 meals... with plain rice...

this has nothing to do with 'healthy living' hor... it's just total indulgence...

i balance the meal with a simple salad, totally uncooked of course for fresh greens taste in Ranch or 999 Island dressing... (light ma...so 999 only, dun have 1,000)

haha another 'simple' meal is beef stew.

on a crock pot... put in a few potatoes, big onions, carrots, all skinned, cleaned and cut up to big chunks of course, and around a kilo of stew beef.

you can also add in a cube or two of beef stock.

fill with water, turn it on auto and leave for school/work... cook rice too if you wish... and walla... stew when you come home from work/school.

those with more time, can also pan-fry the beef cubes marinated with oyster sauce and a little corn flour...

here's the CHEAT sheet ... add in a piece of pork loin or lean port around half the size of your fist... it will bring out the taste of the stew (dun ask me why... it's my mother's secret receipe)

if you like a it bit 'spicy' you can also add a pinch of whole pepper corns and a couple pieces of bay leaves...

The stew soup would be just great (for me anyway)

If I were home to watch it cook, I'd put in the beef half an hour before dinner to get the most succulent beef... but soup will be less tasty... (so I do half half) hahaha...

those who dun eat beef can do it with chicken meat, but do beware that chicken need to be prepared, salted and gingered before going in else will have that smell like the chicken did not bathe for months...

you can also cook manual stew with the wok and a cover, but you got to be there to watch the fire, and thicken the sauce with corn flour. the trick is to cook the hard stuff till soft, i.e. potato, carrot...

do not put green things into a stew... it will turn brown and yucky.

if you must have green - prep it separately like blanch it and put it aside. add to the stew before serving.

Wah... baloo... smell nice leh... :whistle:

One palmful size of salted fish can last me 2 weeks :P

Anyway, I ever try to add small diced deep fried salted fish into salad like croutons :P not bad tasting and maybe add abit of healthiness in it :P

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

cola being a meat tenderizer.

My baking of bread pudding was created by necessity. My bread tends to turn stale and my milk past expiry date before my eyes. In order to utilise them, I make them into almost UK-ish bread custard pudding with cinnamons and nutmegs. My first time writing a recipe and here goes.

Ingredients needed:

1) A lot of Agaration and 20 mins.

2) About 2 - 2.5 cups of milk. I tend to use Meiji low fat.

3) 3 - 4 eggs

4) Half - 7/10 a cup of fine or coarse sugar

5) A bit of butter like 1.5 spoonful

6) 1/2 to 3/4 of packet of bread. Stale bread is fine, mouldy no no.

7) Cinnamon powder, raisins and freshly ground dried whole nutmeg

8) Cinnamon Sugar.

9) Canned Custard powder + 1 cup of milk

10) Vanilla Extract or pod if you are feeling rich.

Blend 2,3,4 with a blender till sugar is dissolved and the mixture seems somewhat lighter.

heat the oven. the heat is a tricky issue. 250 - 350 degree C is preferred, but I manage to get the pudding done with 200. The key is to watch the 'browning', more about that later.

Oil the baking tin with butter, sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the oiled area. about 1 spoonful of it ? Depends on how much you want your pudding to sugar caramelize.

Place bread in random order, between the layers add items (7).

Pour in the blended mixture. Give it a few minutes for the bread to soak up the goodness. Then bake it in the oven.

The baking time depends on your types of bread and milk and amount of sugar used. The trick is to watch the pudding after 10 mins. in about 15 mins or when the liquid around the pudding seems dried up. Add some Cinnamon Sugar over the top of the pudding and bake it some more. Cinnamon sugar gives the pudding a wonderful glaze and it's the easiest way to get caramelized sugar.

Let it bake some more. About 8 more mins if you are eating the pudding at one go. 3 mins if you are going to keep it in the fridge. (To reheat, use oven again, low heat, like about 120 degree C for 3 mins)

Let the pudding rest 5 mins after turning off the heat.

To make the custard (optional)

Mix 2 spoonfuls of custard powder in 2 spoonful of COLD milk. mix them thoroughly. then add 1 - 2 spoonfuls of sugar and 1 cup of milk. heat the mixture and DONT WALK AWAY. Keep stirring on low heat. The mixture will suddenly change its texture (becomes thicker), and that's when the custard is done. Add more milk for a smooth mix, more powder for a cuddish texture.

hope you guys will like this almost cinnaroll-like bread custard pudding.

google areanpull

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.