Male HQ

Trekking and Hiking

Vometra

Anyone here into trekking and hiking in the (semi-)wilderness or mountainous regions?

Popular places like Nepal, Rinjani, Mt Kinabalu ...

Personally I have done commercial and independent treks in Nepal, India, Pakistan and Mt K in Sabah.

Thinking of doing Nepal again this Dec.

Maybe this can be a place for us to chat, share and maybe plan future trips ...

A pic from my 2012 Nepal trip:

IMGP6282_zpsjrgrrxgf.JPG

Edited by Vometra

I just did one in Bali. It's a sunrise trekking up Mount Batur. It's my first time trek in the dark and had to reach the summit before dawn to catch the sunrise. Very steep but fortunately it's not too high. The scenic view at the top was amazing and sunrise over the cloud at the peak of mountain is unforgettable. :clap: 

I CAN'T BE YOUR BOYFRIEND. BUT YOU CAN FUCK ME UNTIL YOU FIND ONE.

56b0623e2e1bf_CoverIMG_2101.jpg.8c8b5cae

On 3/18/2016 at 2:05 PM, Vometra said:

Yup the Indonesian volcanoes are quite nice ... Always wanted to do Rinjani, or perhaps the easier ones in Java like Bromo.

Will try Bromo one day. Now I'm interested in Mount Agung, still in Bali. Maybe I'll visit again by the end of this year to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Use to do some hikes in M'sia but don't like the wet soggy trails of the rainforest and the sweatiness after plus leaches and reminds me too much of the army.

I love the cool crisp mountain air but not as daring to venture all the way to Europe or India. Last one I did was at Fenchihu, Alishan and Yangmingshan in Taiwan, where I did quite a number of the short marked trails alone, each trail 2-3 hrs. Quite exhilarating, scary at times as its steep and foggy, if I had tripped and fell down the mountainside, no one'll know where I am.

Now getting older find it hard to carry too heavy a back pack of supplies for long treks, and won't enjoy the trail being burdened by the heavy load.

... journey through my fractured mind,

a fragment at a time...

I dun really like trekking in tropical regions too ... hot and sweaty.

Yangmingshan is lovely ... wish we have something like this in Singapore, beautiful nature less than an hour from the city.

Anyway, anyone tried hiking from Bukit Timah to MacRitchie? Did it once, thinking of doing it again.

Edited by Vometra

3 hours ago, Vometra said:

Anyway, anyone tried hiking from Bukit Timah to MacRitchie? Did it once, thinking of doing it again.

Did this last month.

I thought I could beat the crowd by getting there early, but it was already so packed with trail runners and hikers when I arrived at MacRitchie at 630am. There was even a "human traffic jam" on some narrower stretches. Only after Tree-Top-Walk did the crowd thin out. Next time have to try going on a weekday if possible.

A few years back I did a section of the Rheinsteig along the the Rhein river in Germany. Great scenery with castles and vineyards on very steep slopes. I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it, I got really bad vertigo along some of the steeper trails. Had to sit on the ground for a few minutes to calm myself.

21 minutes ago, Vometra said:

Paratr00per did you start from MacRitchie, and end at? Do you know if there are showering facilities at the Bukit Timah end? I am thinking from which end should I start ...

I started at MacRitchie, or to be precise, at Marymount MRT Station :D

There are shower facilities at MacRitchie, but not afaik at Bukit Timah. 

Btw, I've actually hiked this area 3 times with different routes:

1. Dairy Farm/Rail Corridor/Rifle Range Road/Rifle Range Link/Singapore Island Country Club

(This was the most tiring. Was trying to make it to Upper Thompson, but saw an empty cab coming out of SICC and couldn't resist lol)

2. MacRitchie to Bt Timah Nature Reserve via Lornie Trail(south of the reservoir)

3. MacRitchie to Bt Timah Reserve via Tree Top Walk

On 31/3/2559 at 3:12 PM, paratr00per said:

Did this last month.

I thought I could beat the crowd by getting there early, but it was already so packed with trail runners and hikers when I arrived at MacRitchie at 630am. There was even a "human traffic jam" on some narrower stretches. Only after Tree-Top-Walk did the crowd thin out. Next time have to try going on a weekday if possible.

I did MacRitchie on weekday last time I visited sg. It was so nice. Not crowded nor too quiet. Still had chance to say hello to people. Only few people on Tree Top Walk. Try weekday if you have chance. :D

23 minutes ago, Vometra said:

Yup. I know it would be more logical to hike from MacR to BT, less retracing, but I need the showering facilities at MacR.

Okie, cos I read some of those blogs out there mentioned this one direction thingie when I wanted to do the treetop walks.

Have fun!

a fragment at a time...

5 hours ago, poet said:

Okie, cos I read some of those blogs out there mentioned this one direction thingie when I wanted to do the treetop walks.

Have fun!

Yup yup treetop walk is One Direction, better to start from MacR ... can google maps to see the routes ...

for whose who are interested in tree top walk.

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/~/media/nparks-real-content/gardens-parks-and-nature/diy-walk/diy-walk-pdf-files/treetop_walk_eguide_lres.pdf?la=en

my first trip i did was from venus drive to tree top walk to slime track , got lost somewhere cant rmb where so probably gotten out from there.

second trip , venus drive to tree top walk , somehow i ended at Macritchie (im good at getting lost :D  ) but yeah it was fun.

• 1 month later...

good idea but hopefully no1 is planning the agenda to be :

Start: Breakfast w nature - good to go nude??????????
(everyone will be assign a buddy to look after one another along the way)
Hiking continues..

Last : washup/cleanup your buddy!

Planner: Food and drinks will always complete your Event. 
Most importantly Complete it with your presence by signing up....

End of my marketing ....for those who are organising...someone should take a lead

I m not really a outdoorsy person esp mcritchie

Believe it or not, I love hiking, backpacking, bushwhacking, being outside for as long as possible! Nature gives me such a recharge, and brings the important things back into perspective! Nepal is such an amazing place, and what a great picture Vometra! Do be careful, that rocky terrain sprains and twisted ankles more likely. I find when out in the land a steady almost slow pace to be best. Even just taking a walk in the park is better than if we didnt get out at all. We dont have to scale a mountain to enjoy nature and recharge our overstressed systems. Be smart and be careful and most of all be bewildered.  : D

11 hours ago, PaterTenebrarum said:

TBH,I prefer treks where I dont meet people. The ones in South Korea, Canada and NZ are good - no people! :D

True. For me it's for peace & quiet. But of course that also allows for going around stark naked and doing what that comes naturally. :D

I've only done trekking twice with a friend and it's just at Bt Timah reserve while it was fun, we didn't get to explore much coz parts of the place is sealed off for construction :(

Great to see so many PLUs into trekking and hiking in the wild and high places of the world, and not only the usual sex tours to BKK and TPE! :clap:

Talking about TW, anyone done Yushan? Saw it in the TV recently. Looks good and supposedly easier than Mt Kinabalu.

Sad to hear about Rinjani, PaterTenebrarum ... trash has always been a problem, even at Everest BC and many other popular trails.

Annapurna circuit should be my next trek, better do it fast before the road construction penetrates deeper and deeper into the valley.

Bonus pic: the lonely trail ...

IMGP6283_zps5anbhz9a.JPG

1 hour ago, Vometra said:

Talking about TW, anyone done Yushan? Saw it in the TV recently. Looks good and supposedly easier than Mt Kinabalu.

Sad to hear about Rinjani, PaterTenebrarum ... trash has always been a problem, even at Everest BC and many other popular trails.

Annapurna circuit should be my next trek, better do it fast before the road construction penetrates deeper and deeper into the valley.

Only did Alishan which is beside and caught the sunrise over Yushan... :P One funny thing I remembered about doing sunrise tours, only a handful brought sunglasses, Am hoping to head there again to explore some of the Minsu around the area.

Other than the litter and trash, what I really disliked was whenever there tourists from China, they would be smoking and kinda ruins the crisp mountain air, and their loud yapping ruins the peace and quiet.

a fragment at a time...

• 3 weeks later...

Wow... quite a number r into hiking/trekking...

I did quite a no of adventure trips with my colleagues...

Nearest was at Gopeng, Perak for some river rafting and cave trekking...

Been to Ijen crater, mt bromo, kinabalu, some trails in hk....

Oh, when my sis moved to calgary... i manage to recce those around lake louise, banff and lake minnewanka.... will definitely have to, die die, must go there!

I'm down if you guys like to go for some trekking overseas...

I've done Samara Gorge before, 7 hours.  Trekked+visited all the 6 monasteries on Meteora in a day (0645-1800).  And hiked up and down Mystras in the Pelonnesse.  Locally only did photographic full-day walks (8-8).  Nowadays not so eager, max are 4-hour photographic trails.

Instagram @the_meowprince

Hello fellow hikers. I'm glad to see this thread. 

Me and 3 of my friends are regular hikers and we've done our fair share of hiking here and in Malaysia. The last one we did was a 15km hike from Singapore Quarry to Marsiling through Mandai forest following the huge water pipes (from Malaysia into Singapore). It was hilly and really challenging but all fun. 

We also did a night hike in Macritchie (without flashlight), the very muddy and forested forgotten Jurong railway line from Jurong to Bt Timah as well as the 24km old SIN-MAL railway line from Kranji to Tanjong Pagar. 

I'm excited to join your local hikes soon.