Male HQ

Singaporeans Wearing Shorts and Flip Flops to Chanel In Takashimaya

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Whenever I go Chanel store in taka i always see so many singaporeans wear shorts and flip flops! Why? Not that I am a snob but why cant they wear clothes like go market buy fish?

No respect!

Guest Guest
44 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Maybe they are wearing Chanel shorts too?

Chanel-shorts-SS2012-e1333037873428.jpg Chanel-2012-high-waisted-polka-dot-short

Where got wear so stylo mylo? These people wear like go pasir malam one. I make effort to dress up but look at them spoil my mood! 

4 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Where got wear so stylo mylo? These people wear like go pasir malam one. I make effort to dress up but look at them spoil my mood! 

Nowadays, people who dress up would be seen as sua-gu. Am I right?

TS, you must not despise these people because they might be the ones staying very near town and going town area is like going "downstairs" for them. Do you dress up when you go downstairs to buy things? (Assuming you are living in HDB.)

Guest Guest
31 minutes ago, Guest Atas said:

Nowadays, people who dress up would be seen as sua-gu. Am I right?

TS, you must not despise these people because they might be the ones staying very near town and going town area is like going "downstairs" for them. Do you dress up when you go downstairs to buy things? (Assuming you are living in HDB.)

Its not look down. It is respect for the brand. I am not rich but i save to buy a chanel bag...it is an experience..to go to the shop...to look around ...to feel the texture...to sip a glass of bubbly...than the next moment u see a group of people in shorts, t shirt and slippers draging their feet.. mood spoil....N they r not staying in orchard residences.

We do not go to friends wedding in fbt n tank tops...

If u mean attending their events by invites, yes it is only polite to abide by their dress code.

But as a paying customer at the shops, no. Moreover shorts can be trendy too. 

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Its not look down. It is respect for the brand. I am not rich but i save to buy a chanel bag...it is an experience..to go to the shop...to look around ...to feel the texture...to sip a glass of bubbly...than the next moment u see a group of people in shorts, t shirt and slippers draging their feet.. mood spoil....N they r not staying in orchard residences.

We do not go to friends wedding in fbt n tank tops...

Dahling, get with the program, ever since Chanel became 香奈儿, it's lost cachet. If my wallet got money, who do I need to impress at Chanel with my clothes?

• G_M changed the title to Singaporeans Wearing Shorts and Flip Flops to Chanel In Takashimaya

I feel strongly that the climate plays a large part to the fashion scene in Singapore. As much as you would want to be stylish, and be styled from head to toe, the moment you stepped out of any air-conditioned environment, within 5 minutes, you are sweating like Aretha Franklin at a concert. When I was in town a few months back, I brought along suits to dress for work. I gave up the jacket within first half hour. After that, i just wear a t-shirt and flip-flops, and change only when I am at my client's office. Ideally, I would love to be working in a tank-top, shorts and flip flops, but work dress etiquette demands business formal. 

I have seen many wealthy people shopping in luxury boutiques in casual clothing. I think of it this way, if I am to shop for shoes, I may wear flip flops, as it is easier to put on and take off while you try multiple pairs, with the try on socks obviously. 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

Guest 马拉屎啊
10 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Whenever I go Chanel store in taka i always see so many singaporeans wear shorts and flip flops! Why? Not that I am a snob but why cant they wear clothes like go market buy fish?

No respect!

Shooooo, shooooo, it's not your business and what do you wear walking around in takashimaya? Wesr like a Chanel model?

tumblr_ncfeyjjvRG1sn2bh3o1_500.gif

12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

No respect!

for all u know, the person have enough cash to buy every single item off the shelf in the store. 

8 hours ago, Angelix said:

Why do you need to dress up to shop? It's not like there's an universal dress code to enter a luxury brand boutique shop. It's one thing to dress for occasion and another for comfort. What's the point of dressing nicely if you can't afford the items inside the shop? If I were the store manager, I'll be more than happy to allow anyone inside if they can make lots of purchases regardless of their attires.

One time, I was with my aunt in a LV store in Orchard and the salesgirl was unenthusiastic in serving us just because my aunt did not look like the typical "Tai-tai" who could afford expensive handbags. My aunt likes to dress comfortably and she seldom dresses up unless necessary. When a seemingly rich couple came in, the salesgirl immediately diverted all her attention to them and left us wondered by ourselves. In the end, the couple did not purchase anything while my aunt bought 2 handbags in matter of minutes with the help of another salesperson. We also complained to the store manager of the girl's attitude in treating the customers.

You don't judge a book by its cover. Everyone who enters the store is a potential customer.

i had gotten same treatment too in Coach. was in a simple tee and berms, looking around for a gift for my mother. staff couldn't even be bothered when I was trying to get a new piece... their attitude took a major change until I took out my AMEX...

Guest Minion
11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Never judge a book by the cover. They could be millionairs and own several properties in Singapore.  My millionaire boss is one of those who never put on his look and like to wear flmsy pasar malam cloth and love eating near coffee shop.  You ask him go orchard buy shirt he will tell you that place belong to youngster who has "too much" money to splurge.

Guest bother

You wear what you want to wear.  You don't bother what and how other people wear.  UNLESS you are the owner of the Chanel store and think it is affecting the image of your business.  

Guest Attitude

Very few Asians that walked into high end French houses not dressing up, they usually like a walking wealth with them with expensive dress and handbags, that's why the SA thinks if you don't appear to be rich from head to toe, they just can't be bothered as these SA usually got an attitude.

I do kinda agree with TS, it's not about respecting others or how you want others to see you. It's about respecting yourself. Different places calls for a different "appropriate" dress code. I can understand being in shorts but I can nv understand being in flip flops in orchard. It's our national highend shopping area... don't dress like you are going to the beach for fuck sake... When u dress sloppy it just show how bo chup you are. Atleast a pair of shoe would be decent. It was nv about the money too... it's about upbringing... it shows how u are brought up in a first world country but act like you are in a third world country. Respect yourself and dress appropriately to different parts of Singapore... I don't have branded but I do respect my own image.. 

8 minutes ago, jcho said:

customer is king mah - lolz.. uncivilized rogue mindset. You sound exactly like an uneducated PRC that just strike first prize in lucky draw. 

Guest Laughing
16 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

No respect!

You have grown a pair of 狗眼 to 看人低。

Isn't it logical that the more you care about what strangers think of you, the more pathetic you are?

I'm an Indonesian PR here. One of the biggest things I admire about Singaporeans is your collective maturation to more comfortable with who you are individually. Your neighbours - Indonesians, Thais, Filipinos - are still stuck in the mindset of 'we must dress appropriately in the restaurant/shopping centre/airport so that other people will not judge us'.

Edited by kingbitch

16 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

No respect!

No respect? To those expensive bags and clothings? Hahaha 

Guest Orchard high end?
2 hours ago, Guest Ener said:

I do kinda agree with TS, it's not about respecting others or how you want others to see you. It's about respecting yourself. Different places calls for a different "appropriate" dress code. I can understand being in shorts but I can nv understand being in flip flops in orchard. It's our national highend shopping area... don't dress like you are going to the beach for fuck sake... When u dress sloppy it just show how bo chup you are. Atleast a pair of shoe would be decent. It was nv about the money too... it's about upbringing... it shows how u are brought up in a first world country but act like you are in a third world country. Respect yourself and dress appropriately to different parts of Singapore... I don't have branded but I do respect my own image.. 

So many rules just on clothes... Next you'll be criticizing people for not wearing "proper" pajamas when you sleep.

FFS, it's leisure shopping, I'm not going for an interview...

Sad that you associate dressing up with upbringing, relax your uptight ass pls.

Guest respect me

Frankly, aside wearing shoes to work and sports, I go anywhere in my comfortable sandals, even on overseas holidays.  

17 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

No respect!

Now you got respect after complaining?

6f9aee8a.jpg_slt2

Guest Shopper

Assuming I am wear singlet and flip flops to Orchard for shopping, I walk pass Chanel and wish to browse what's in store. Should I not go in just because of what I wear?

I agree the attire people wear in Singapore is largely due to the climate. Some people can look nice and classy when they are wearing extremely casual clothings. My point is, there shouldn't be any discrimination in attire where shopping is concerned. I dare any retail will state dresscode for customers. Ha!

For all you know, those who buy are the ones wearing singlets and the "atas-ly" dressed just look see and walk out without patronising. 

37 minutes ago, Guest respect me said:

Frankly, aside wearing shoes to work and sports, I go anywhere in my comfortable sandals, even on overseas holidays.  

Sandals are fine... flip flops to orchard?!?! 

49 minutes ago, Guest Orchard high end? said:

So many rules just on clothes... Next you'll be criticizing people for not wearing "proper" pajamas when you sleep.

FFS, it's leisure shopping, I'm not going for an interview...

Sad that you associate dressing up with upbringing, relax your uptight ass pls.

Apparently i do have a point there. I was told to dress appropriately accordingly to occasions and places as a form of respect to others and myself from young. Don't give me some bullshit bout pajamas, it's not even in the correct topic. I could reply you with a "so u think its OK to wear bright and colourful clothing to a wake lah? Since you soo "free and easy"..." bo ka si. (If you know what I mean) then next time your cousin/friend/whoever invites you to their wedding you wear shorts and flip flops... it's only a leisure dinner. Dun talk with your shit hole aite. 

I guess anyone got the right to say anything and dress up with anything but the rest got the right to talk behind him(if they choose to)or be judgemental towards him
If I like the boutique stuff  or goes for such things Like Hugo boss or Chanel(TS mentioned), then likely I don't think I m those who will dress too "casually"

For weddings, the bare minimum must be a shortsleeves shirt w a jean/pants and shoes

erm I m just bk from an island, a china tourist (yes a guy) - he went toilet and I went,

he s so well dressed  w a long sleeves shirt (luckily today is not hot and sunday) and he approached me......
what r u thinking, he asked me what is further below/down there(what are u thinking), down the road he quizzed, I told him nothing much and he left w some perspiration

He must be disappointed w Singapore tourism island, anyway

Can u imagine a tourist is never even slipshod in the first place to a fun island........let alone s'porean should?

but a distinctive faux pas, is men tend to pair black (office/business) /dark col socks with sports/track shoes or footwear of a more casual look, not sure why...

office/business socks are more for serious stuff , imagine u r w a tee and shorts/bermudas and sunglass w those socks? (ok  I agree that they are more of daddies and younger/new daddies level)

Guest Guest
1 minute ago, lovehandle said:

I guess anyone got the right to say anything and dress up with anything but the rest got the right to talk behind him(if they choose to)or be judgemental towards him
If I like the boutique stuff  or goes for such things Like Hugo boss or Chanel(TS mentioned), then likely I don't think I m those who will dress too "casually"

For weddings, the bare minimum must be a shortsleeves shirt w a jean/pants and shoes

erm I m just bk from an island, a china tourist (yes a guy) - he went toilet and I went,

he s so well dressed  w a long sleeves shirt (luckily today is not hot and sunday) and he approached me......
what r u thinking, he asked me what is further below/down there(what are u thinking), down the road he quizzed, I told him nothing much and he left w some perspiration

He must be disappointed w Singapore tourism island, anyway

Can u imagine a tourist is never even slipshod in the first place to a fun island........let alone s'porean should?

but a distinctive faux pas, is men tend to pair black (office/business) /dark col socks with sports/track shoes or footwear of a more casual look, not sure why...

office/business socks are more for serious stuff , imagine u r w a tee and shorts/bermudas and sunglass w those socks? (ok  I agree that they are more of daddies and younger/new daddies level)

What is "Singapore tourism island" anyway?

LOL

Guest Orchard low end
40 minutes ago, Guest Ener said:

Sandals are fine... flip flops to orchard?!?! 

Apparently i do have a point there. I was told to dress appropriately accordingly to occasions and places as a form of respect to others and myself from young. Don't give me some bullshit bout pajamas, it's not even in the correct topic. I could reply you with a "so u think its OK to wear bright and colourful clothing to a wake lah? Since you soo "free and easy"..." bo ka si. (If you know what I mean) then next time your cousin/friend/whoever invites you to their wedding you wear shorts and flip flops... it's only a leisure dinner. Dun talk with your shit hole aite. 

Ownself say ownself got point...buay pai sey also

Wow... Shopping is an occasion?!? Then sleeping also an occasion what.. Pang Sai also an occasion to you then.

I'd respect dress code when needed, not apply it like a blanket statement.

So don't give me some bullshit bout wakes and weddings.

try not to burst an artery when raging dear... If not I'll be forced to wear me neon spandex to your wake

Guest Hismes
16 hours ago, Angelix said:

One time, I was with my aunt in a LV store in Orchard and the salesgirl was unenthusiastic in serving us just because my aunt did not look like the typical "Tai-tai" who could afford expensive handbags. My aunt likes to dress comfortably and she seldom dresses up unless necessary. When a seemingly rich couple came in, the salesgirl immediately diverted all her attention to them and left us wondered by ourselves. In the end, the couple did not purchase anything while my aunt bought 2 handbags in matter of minutes with the help of another salesperson. We also complained to the store manager of the girl's attitude in treating the customers.

You don't judge a book by its cover. Everyone who enters the store is a potential customer.

Really 看走眼. Reminds me of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman :) 

Hermes shop assistants are very double-standard too. I heard they are being trained to see which customer can be offered a Birkin or a CDC.

Guest Poor TS

TS must be very shocked and disappointed to read so many comments against his point of view. I am sure he is not expecting this. :D

I remember "Pretty Woman" and the scene Julia Robert got her revenge on the high-end boutique staff. "Big Mistake... Big... Huge!"

Edited by jcho

Guest Fashionable victim

Chanel has long gone the route of marc by marc jacobs diffusion line trolling it's consumers

2A81587F00000578-3160147-image-a-22_1436

Chanel-Washed-Fabric-Messenger-Bag-3800.

Chanel-Hand-Painted-Lambskin-Classic-Fla

I've seen people wearing branded goods from head to toe hurling insults at the sales person in boutique shop.

Respect is about how you treat other people, not what you wear.

I'm definitely an advocate for dressing appropriately according to occasions, esp when host specify a dress code, but when it comes to shopping.....I dunno....

I confess I tend to dress down when I go shopping, besides the convenience of changing easily when trying for size, the main reasons are for me to shop in peace and at my own pace. In some countries/cities, the salespeople's service is so good to the extend it becomes super annoying! They follow you around and recommend u tis, recommend u tat. Give u opinions u did not solicit for. Sometimes sweet talk u until u dun buy also pai-seh. So, I feel fine if they think I not a target and ignore me. The salespeople who do not judge and still serve me generously tends to get more of my money anyway.

BTW, dressing down to get peace during shopping dun work in HK anymore.

An interesting tidbit about Chanel as a business. There are technically 3 divisions, running as separate entities: Fashion (Ready-to-wear & Haute Couture) & Accessories (Leather goods, Jewelry and Watches), Fragrance and Beauty. Of the 3, only Beauty is based in the US and is the youngest of the 3.

Chanel is still privately owned by a Swiss family. Unlike many other designer brands which were owned by LVMH etc. Hence, they never have to report their earnings and how well they do. 

Love. 

Guest Brand
2 hours ago, Jonny_86 said:

I've seen people wearing branded goods from head to toe hurling insults at the sales person in boutique shop.

Respect is about how you treat other people, not what you wear.

Well said.  After all, these so called branded goods like Chanel were all made in third world countries.   You are just paying for the name only when in fact, the actual cost is just a fraction of the price.

Guest SameSame
2 hours ago, Salt&Pepper said:

I'm definitely an advocate for dressing appropriately according to occasions, esp when host specify a dress code, but when it comes to shopping.....I dunno....

I confess I tend to dress down when I go shopping, besides the convenience of changing easily when trying for size, the main reasons are for me to shop in peace and at my own pace. In some countries/cities, the salespeople's service is so good to the extend it becomes super annoying! They follow you around and recommend u tis, recommend u tat. Give u opinions u did not solicit for. Sometimes sweet talk u until u dun buy also pai-seh. So, I feel fine if they think I not a target and ignore me. The salespeople who do not judge and still serve me generously tends to get more of my money anyway.

BTW, dressing down to get peace during shopping dun work in HK anymore.

I feel exactly the same as you dude!!! 

:):):) 

Guest Hismes
5 hours ago, jcho said:

I remember "Pretty Woman" and the scene Julia Robert got her revenge on the high-end boutique staff. "Big Mistake... Big... Huge!"

Hey thanks for posting!

6 hours ago, jcho said:

This happened to me once in LV.

Wearing my tank top, berms and slippers browsing around the shop.

Got this kind of " you are too poor you can't afford our brand" attitude from one of the sales people, who followed me around thinking I would steal something

So before I left I looked at the staff, flashed my Panerai watch by looking at the time ( delibrately) and said

" You are just working in a shop you know, so you can just drop your fucking attitude"

• Guest locked this topic