Male HQ

Anything can replace protein drink

Guest Skinny guy

• G_M changed the title to Anything can replace protein drink
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your body's digestive system will breakdown whatever you consume to their basic elements i.e. Proteins, Fats, Carbs, Vitamins and minerals plus Fibers.   Your body won't know if its protein from chicken or pork or eggs or cheese or whey once they're digested....all it knows is they are proteins.  For me Eggs are the cheapest source of protein gram for gram and the most easily digestible protein compared to other forms of proteins i.e. pork, chicken, fish, milk etc  But of course if you live in country like Australia where dairy products are half the price compared to here, than dairy protein (including whey) are the cheapest over there. Whey is a byproduct of cheese making and were thrown away in the pass, but someone came up with a ingenious way to extracting the protein from it and made big money out of waste..... For me theres also ethical reasons not to take dairy proteins...as cows needs to get pregnant to lactate and produces milk.  The untold sad story about the dairy industries is that cows are made pregnant all the time and the resulting calves are usually killed at birth and sold to the pet food makers, so that its mothers milk are than harvested for our consumption :o((  whereas unfertilized eggs will never developed into Chicks

Edited by Fit4Masc

7 hours ago, Fit4Masc said:

Your body's digestive system will breakdown whatever you consume to their basic elements i.e. Proteins, Fats, Carbs, Vitamins and minerals plus Fibers.   Your body won't know if its protein from chicken or pork or eggs or cheese or whey once they're digested....all it knows is they are proteins.  For me Eggs are the cheapest source of protein gram for gram and the most easily digestible protein compared to other forms of proteins i.e. pork, chicken, fish, milk etc  But of course if you live in country like Australia where dairy products are half the price compared to here, than dairy protein (including whey) are the cheapest over there. Whey is a byproduct of cheese making and were thrown away in the pass, but someone came up with a ingenious way to extracting the protein from it and made big money out of waste..... For me theres also ethical reasons not to take dairy proteins...as cows needs to get pregnant to lactate and produces milk.  The untold sad story about the dairy industries is that cows are made pregnant all the time and the resulting calves are usually killed at birth and sold to the pet food makers, so that its mothers milk are than harvested for our consumption :o((  whereas unfertilized eggs will never developed into Chicks

A tub of whey is given at $65 for 75 scoops, each 20g of protein. According to HPB, an egg, hen, whole, would give 7.26g of protein. Giant sells a tray of 10 at $1.85, assuming u get a tray of 30 (cheapest at ntuc, approx $3 based on:http://themiddleground.sg/2015/07/10/great-supermarket-spree/). Whey would give you 65/(75x24)= $0.04 per g of protein. As for eggs (non-branded ones, i.e. house brand) $3/30x7.26=$0.01 per g of protein. Yes at this point it is true that eggs would be cheaper. But such small amount, does it really matter? If you want to factor in the cost, then why aren't you counting the number of trips you need to head down to the supermarket to make purchase of the eggs? Why aren't you factoring in the amount of cost to start the gas and cook the eggs? Then on the other hand, why not factor in the amount of water required to wash the pots and shaker bottle? Yes it might be argued that it is a significant amount of $0.03 difference per gram, but the question is, is that important? How much must we nitpick then to argue for the "cheapest source of protein"? I'm not arguing for the usage of whey protein, but the protein in eggs can vary from farm to farm, chicken to chicken, source to source of nutritional labelling. Just acknowledging this fact that's all...

On 8/31/2016 at 1:33 AM, xydboy said:

A tub of whey is given at $65 for 75 scoops, each 20g of protein. According to HPB, an egg, hen, whole, would give 7.26g of protein. Giant sells a tray of 10 at $1.85, assuming u get a tray of 30 (cheapest at ntuc, approx $3 based on:http://themiddleground.sg/2015/07/10/great-supermarket-spree/). Whey would give you 65/(75x24)= $0.04 per g of protein. As for eggs (non-branded ones, i.e. house brand) $3/30x7.26=$0.01 per g of protein. Yes at this point it is true that eggs would be cheaper. But such small amount, does it really matter? If you want to factor in the cost, then why aren't you counting the number of trips you need to head down to the supermarket to make purchase of the eggs? Why aren't you factoring in the amount of cost to start the gas and cook the eggs? Then on the other hand, why not factor in the amount of water required to wash the pots and shaker bottle? Yes it might be argued that it is a significant amount of $0.03 difference per gram, but the question is, is that important? How much must we nitpick then to argue for the "cheapest source of protein"? I'm not arguing for the usage of whey protein, but the protein in eggs can vary from farm to farm, chicken to chicken, source to source of nutritional labelling. Just acknowledging this fact that's all...

The title of this thread is "Anything that can replace Protein Drink"  So if someone don't want to drink protein drink and want to get the extra quality protein.  Than in my opinion eggs would be a great alternative.  If you buy a tray of 30 once or twice a week that is no big deal... I still think its a great alternative for someone who don't want protein drink.  If you are a fan of whey protein and think the convenience of a whey protein shake out weights the cost savings in consumption of eggs, proceed by all means.  Furthermore by your calculation egg protein is about 3 times cheaper than whey, plus the yoke gives you most of the much needed vitamins and minerals, if you don't over do the yokes as they are high in cholesterol for someone with cholesterol problem. Also personally, I prefer an unadulterated egg much better than highly processed whey, as their quality and absorb ability do varies between manufacturers.

Edited by Fit4Masc

On 8/20/2016 at 11:43 AM, azimuth said:

There are lots of food which can replace milk as your source of protein. Nuts, fish, meat, etc.

I am not really a big fan of protein drinks as they are processed and you cannot be sure what is added inside. Supplements are not regulated by authorities.

I agree...Also those advertisers of Protein supplement are fooling the public by using Steroid pumped models to sell their products.  Whey is highly refined and processed.  Those flavored ones are even worst, those colors and flavors they use are unregulated!  Natural is still the best. Getting your protein from meats, fish or chickens is still the best.  The only downside is they are not as convenient as a scoop of whey in a water bottle.

6 hours ago, Fit4Masc said:

I agree...Also those advertisers of Protein supplement are fooling the public by using Steroid pumped models to sell their products.  Whey is highly refined and processed.  Those flavored ones are even worst, those colors and flavors they use are unregulated!  Natural is still the best. Getting your protein from meats, fish or chickens is still the best.  The only downside is they are not as convenient as a scoop of whey in a water bottle.

Too extremist don't you think?

• 2 months later...

Let's try wheat germ. Facts have shown that wheat germ is one of the biggest natural sources of protein. They are necessary proteins that maintain muscle strength, regulate enery levels and improve damaged tissues. Thus, it is easy to understand that wheat germ intake may support muscle health. Adding wheatgerm into daily diet will really have positive impacts on muscle improvement. You can see details about the benefit of wheat germ on gaining muscle at the article https://wikihomenutrition.com/wheat-germ-health-benefits

Hope it could be useful!

• 1 month later...

A complete protein source is one that provides all of the essential amino acids. You may also hear these sources called high quality proteins. Animal-based foods; for example, meat, poultry, fish, milk, eggs, and cheese are considered complete protein sources.

An incomplete protein source is one that is low in one or more of the essential amino acids. Complementary proteins are two or more incomplete protein sources that together provide adequate amounts of all the essential amino acids.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.