Male HQ

Ala-carte Japanese Buffet

Stoner79

for those who are into Jap buffet.

i went to this TAKAYA Japanese Restaurant in Chinatown Point (Next to Macdonalds) on 23th Dec for their Ala-carte buffet lunch. which i tot was quite reasonably priced. (They have another branch in Upper Thomson, but there got buffet a not i dunno....)

price.jpg

Lunch (Only on Sat, Sun and PH)

Adult: $19.80+

Child: $12.00+

Dinner (Daily)

Adult $23.00+

Child: $15.00+

menu.jpg

the Menu of the food available for ordering.

drinks.jpg

The drink list. (not included in the buffet.)

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

shashimi.jpg

this plate of salmon and akagai(Ark shell) shashimi is actually my "Round 2" order haha i forgot to take pic on "Round 1". the salmon i tot was very good and fresh, practically melts in your mouth. But the ark shell..... so so nia lor, din finish it.

chawamushi.jpg

Chawamushi. quite a small cup. but then the texture is rather smooth. underneath the yellow egg, there actually is quite a lot of ingredient. (gingko nut, chicken etc) quite like this.

chicken.jpg

Chicken Salad. i sorta regretted ordering this the moment the salad came. the thousand island saurce taste a bit..... fishy. majiam got raw fish dropped inside like that..eww.

crab.jpg

Softshell crab and Tempura Squid Ring. the squid ring tasted normal, but is really hot! scalded my tongue. :( The softshell crab is really crispy. but din come with any tempura sauce. (which is quite disappointing...) on the right is the California Temaki (handroll), filled with a lot of rice! so dun order too much. hahaha also a generous amount of ebiko (prawn roe) inside.

yakitori.jpg

Chicken Yakitori. the chicken is juicy. but i tot the chicken should be marinated longer.

unagi.jpg

the Unagi sushi. i din eat this. so no comments.

temaki.jpg

Salmon Temaki. This is actually from my "Round 2". haha filled with rice and generous amount of salmon. which i find quite good.

idako.jpg

Jellyfish and baby octopus (Idako) this is actually one of my Fav! in fact, i like it so much, i ordered 2 times! both very nicely marinated! *drool.....*

fried.jpg

Softshell crab and Tori Karaage. okie. i ordered the soft shell crab again. but this time... somehow.. it is TOO crispy. i dun like. the chicken is so so nia. same. should marinate longer.

shishamo.jpg

Shishamo. i like shishamo, i practically will order it whenever i'm in any jap restaurant. i dun really like this. erm...... i tot was rather tasteless. although the fish is quite fresh. but i still think that cooked fish shouldn't be so tasteless. definately have to go with wasabi and soy sauce.

Yakiniku.jpg

Beef yakiniku. The beef is not too over cooked. the flavouring is very strong. if you are to eat this alone, the taste is acutally a tad too strong. but this is recommended, if you are eating this with rice.

swordfish.jpg

Grilled Swordfish, i ordered this cos when i tried to order the Saba again, it was sold out. i tot they look like Yam when it first arrived.... taste a bit like chicken. the teriyaki sauce on it is heavenly. i tot it would be better if the fishy is more juicy.

tempura.jpg

Fried Scallop Tempura, Ebi Fry and Ebi Tempura. the scallop is Heavenly!!! soft and fresh, its practically cripsy on the outside, but soft and very juicy on the inside! this is a MUST Have!!!! i did not eat the Ebi fry though. a bit turned off by the shell.... The Ebi Tempura is average. (all did not come with Tempura sauce, such a shame!)

below are items which i have ordered also, but have finish eating them before i tot of taking the pics.haha

Zara Soba ( i tot the noodle sauce is a bit salty)

Edamame (it comes warm, with visible salt coated on the surface. this is the standard that all jap restaurant should take cue from!)

Saba Yakimono (grilled mackerel fish, i tot that the "fishy" taste is a bit too strong, but taste quite good. wanted 2nd round, but sold out)

Mixed fruit. ( i ordered this. but somehow.... dunno why it NEVER CAME!)

oh top of that.. i also order 1 glass of Plum juice(no refill), 1 can of Coke Light, 1x hot green tea (free refill)

Total Bill : if i din rem wrongly its about $47 ba i think. cos not i pay wan.. :P but definately below $50 (for 2 diners)

i left the restaurant full to the max! din even have dinner that evening. :D

Thanks stoner79 for the pics and description!

Very helpful.

I havent had jap buffet for quite awhile. I can only remember 2 places off of my head now which are Igen Dining Japanese Restaurant at East Coast Rd and Kushin-Bo at Suntec.

This Takaya restaurant seems quite cheap for buffet.

• 2 months later...

Continuation ...

Comment: hotbob38

Posted: March 02, 2008 07:21 am

(chubbylover @ January 03, 2008 12:52 am)

A friend mentioned about a japanese restaurant in UE Square with ala carte buffet as well, wonder if anyone here has more info of that?

Worst alaCarte buffet nasty owner. Foof ordered served VERY slow or never come. Many customer complained, owner response is can't help it, too many customers. Customer response, dun accept any more customer if you cannot cope. heard from next table. 2 serves of food when we have 4 person, Same for the next table. Many customer left in less than an hour, cannot wait anymore, including me.

Make me wait at cashier counter more than 5 minutes. Before I left, was thinking nice to inform them that the remaining orders placed for my table (food that never come)to cancel so no wastage of food. The stupid #$%^ snap back at me saying that all the food I ordered have been served. A thankyou would make me happier instead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: chubaholic

Posted: March 02, 2008 09:38 pm

A good Japanese restaurant shall be judged by the quality of the chawanmushi it serves.

The picture of the chawanmushi above does not look too palatable or authentic. cool.gif

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

• 1 month later...

Hmm... that restuarant notbad leh, the beef is really nice, mymum rarely eatbeef but she actually like it.

pricey but worth it :thumb:

Edited by Asura

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

How cum no one mention the top three Jap buffets in town?!?!?

1. Honjin Japanese Restaurant

Address: 140 Robinson Road #01-00 Chow House

A la carte dinner buffet ($30++ per pax) AMEX: 15% off

- Japanese setting. Popular with office workers

2. Hanabi Japanese Restaurant (Odeon Towers)

Address: 331 North Bridge Road #01-04 Odeon Towers Tel: 6338 6626

A la carte dinner buffet ($30++ per pax)

- Small portions but nice sashimi

No space, try other branches:

Address: 559 Bukit Timah Road #01-03 King's Arcade Tel: 6465 5525

Address: 112 East Coast Road #01-13/15/18/19 Katong Mall Tel: 63486626

3. Ikoi Japanese Restaurant

Address: 401 Havelock Road #01-01 Hotel Miramar Tel: 6887 3788

A la carte dinner buffet ($30++ per pax)

- The grandfather of Japanese buffets. They have been serving free flow sashimi ever since you were drinking breast milk.

Reservations ESSENTIAL.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.