Male HQ

Japan: New Year In Tokyo

Andy@Tokyo

Two weeks into 2008 and i am still in ’holiday mood’. tongue.gif Partly, this is due to the long break we had over the the New year- this time, from 31st Dec 2007 to 6th Jan2008. However, our 'vacation mode' might have started a week earlier coz during the last wk of Dec, many Japanese would head back to their hometown ard that period and the work place would almost be silent, like a dead town.

For the first time, i chose to spent the count down at a Bar in Ueno. Most bars in Ueno would be quiet on new year's eve while bars in Asakusa would be packed, as the crowd would adjourn to 浅草寺 upon 12midnight to get their first prayer for the New year. This reminded me of home: during CNY, many would go get their first 'qian' at Kuan yin miao. Anyway, i turned up as i had promised (told the master i would go) to count-down together.. and when i entered the bar, i was surprised- there were about 20 people packed in a small room of abt 16meters sq. They were not on top of each other. Instead, they were all standing, cup full of alcohol in their one hand (and the other hand??biggrin.gif ), merrying around. I was warmly welcomed and the next thing i knew, i was inside the counter, chatting while helping to serve the rest. i guess, it is natural coz i had the experience and the job was really enjoyable to me. Moreover, most of these people are familiar faces that i have to know over the 2-years pubbing at PLU bars.

There were 7 daddies(50s and above) and the rest were in their 20s,30s and 40s. We drank, chatted and Karaoked till ard 2.am. and headed to Asakusa for our first prayer at the temple. Even at ard 3a.m, 浅草寺 was crowded and it took us 20mins to get to the temple main hall, from the entrance. As i thought it was abt time to head for home, there was wat they called a Nijikai...a Second Party! We went to a non-PLU restaurant/bar for more food and drinks. The entire event ended at ard 6~7am and even though there was no orgies, we were all shagged. blink.gif

Edited by Andy@Tokyo

Guest Guest_justme

I really do envy your being in Tokyo, Andy. Thanks for sharing. And boy, when the Japanese party, do they really party or what? :-)

Sorry but am sure someone has asked this before - how long have you been in Tokyo and how easy was it for you to learn Japanese? I hear that learning Japanese is not that difficult but what is difficult is learning the form of a word to use when addressing elders/superiors as compared to the form of the same word used when addressing peers or subordinates. Can be quite confusing for one who is not a native speaker, I would imagine.

So yes, please continue with your entertaining and informative posts.

Thanks

>And boy, when the Japanese party, do they really party or what? :-)

Not sex parties.. but chats, talk cock/sing song, drinks, karaoke catching up with acquaintances and meeting new people. May not be everyones cup of tea.

>how long have you been in Tokyo and how easy was it for you to learn Japanese?

i liked the languages so i didnt really feel as though i were in hell when i studied the Japanese. Most people i know, who started from zero takes about 2yrs to be able speak/communicate at ease. Those hardworking ones takes abt a year. I had a crash coursed and already had lvl 2 JLPT before coming to japan.

Language is one thing. The next is the content. i.e. the culture, etc. e.g. if u are not familiar with a singer or a movie/drama of the past/present u might not be able to participate in some conversation, no matter how gd ur japanese is. Content, i find is also difficult.. it takes alot of self-motivation and interests.

'When the party starts, it never seems to end'

There was a New year party installed for me during the 1st day of 2008 as well. The party, organized by a bar's master, was to be held at his mansion in Asakusa. and since it was an invitation to a home, i prepared home-made dessert-honeydew sago.

After several overseas experiences, i rate 'Cooking' a 9.5/10 skill- an almost essential skill to pick up. coz' sharing of home-cook food with natives definitely improve the impression they have on us(singaporeans) (given u are not a bad cook). Note: I didnt get the taste of honeydew sago right the first time but after several tries, I managed to whip up this appealing and yet simple dish. ANd this time, It was a hit during the party. :lol:

The master (in his mid-fifties) whom had invited us, has already 20yrs experiences working in the bar. He found his love in Kyushu (south part of Japan) and they came over to tokyo to open the Bar. The Bar and the mansion was part of the signature of their union and love.

I arrived at a traditional japanese mansion (tatami flooring). There were more than 10 people but i didnt seem to hear the noise coz i 'found' my eyes on the pic of the master lover at the altar. I knew that they have been attached for 20~30yrs and a tear dropped somewhere but noone seems to notice.

More people came till there was barely space left for one to maneuver across the room. Nevertheless, it was a room of never-ending fun. And it renewed a belief i strongly held: Even in a foreign land, Being PLU is just not abt 'bare body' bonding :lol: , it was something beyond the horizon. Something that is indestructible and eternal even if one were to disagree with.

At ard midnight, most people had left except for 5 of us (one already 'knocked out' :lol: ) And like the chalets i participated long time back in singapore, this is a good time for conversation engaging deeper personal thoughts.

The last thing i remembered was that it was already 2.am when i cycled back home.

Guest Guest_justme

Thanks very much for the info and the photos, Andy.

Have never seen the place lit up like that - mainly cos in the few times I have been to the Kannon temple, it was during the day. The place looks quite romantic with the lights.

Oh yes, I did not mean sex parties. I mean that when the Japanese party, they go all out. I have seen the ones where people sit under the trees, drinking away whilst appreciating sakura blossoms.

Thanks also for some insight into the "everyday Japanese party". I have worked in Japan but have never been lucky enough to be invited to someones home for a party. Sounds like it was fun.

No wonder you sound like you want to be in Japan for at least the near future!

Regards

I mean that when the Japanese party, they go all out. I have seen the ones where people sit under the trees, drinking away whilst appreciating sakura blossoms.

No wonder you sound like you want to be in Japan for at least the near future!

Ya, drinking is part of their culture. (i assumed) :P

I dont have much choice but to be here for another couple of years. Well, if one doesnt make friends than i suppose he/she can be quite lonely in a big city. i guess i am vulnerable to being alone, to a certain degree. :rolleyes:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.