Male HQ

Favorite Books, Good Reads & Recommendations (Compiled)

Guest seeker

Anti-aging books - better to read it now while we are younger

The 17 day Plan to Stop Aging - Dr. Mike Moreno

Dare To Be 100 - Walter M. Bortz II, M.D.

I'm really turned-on if both heads (the head above and the head below) are both functioning well

https://asianguysgonewild.newtumbl.com

https://linktr.ee/riverrobles  

WQPofyr.jpg

This is where I leave you by Jonathan Tropper

just found out that they have turned this into movie, but I am so not looking forward to it.

If you read the summary of the book you may not be interested. It's actually not about the plot, but the way different issues faced by and thoughts of a mid 30 man being discussed in this book, and the way Jonathan Tropper put it.

If you read this book before your 30, you may be able to take a glimpse of what's gonna happen (of coz not always the case), and re-assess your relationship with people around you: brothers, your dad, friends, "friends", friends of friends, relatives, distant relatives, acquaintances........

I may read this again, when I get older.

• 2 months later...

For One More Day

The Five People you meet in Heaven

The first phone call from heaven

All these by Mitch Albom. Rich in meaning, rather philosophical and touching. Don't worry, it's not a book about Christianity.

Edited by WeiSheMe

• 1 month later...

Cubicle Warfare by Pardoe

Highly recommended for managers and employees who play or are sucked into office politics :-)

I'm really turned-on if both heads (the head above and the head below) are both functioning well

https://asianguysgonewild.newtumbl.com

https://linktr.ee/riverrobles  

WQPofyr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I like Margaret Atwood, have read most of her books. Especially liked the last 3 - Oryx & Crake, Year of the Food and Mcaddams. Very intuitive and futuristic, can almost see all the things she details happening already - superiority of Pharmaceutical Companies, GMO and genetic engineering etc. Before Atwood I completely was obsessed with Muriel Sparks - she is the most jolliest author of all times fore me, just thinking of her name, makes me smile and giggle. Enjoyed all her books tremendously, especially prime of Jean Brodie. The Abbess of Crewe and most of all A Far Cry from Kensington. Read these years ago and still, remember all the juicy bits. They'll lest 3 books I have read is (1) Gone With the Wind - obsessed with it for many months (2) Eva Luna, especially I cannot forget Riad Halabi and Zulema, who eyed Salim 'with eyes of the Houri' - how people think up such things to write? (3) One Hundred Years of Solitute, after so mary readings I can only remember the characters Ursula and Melquidas the Jew, and Remedios the Beauty who went up the cloud with the sheets - there were so many characters!!!! Still cannot make sense of the so many men Buendias after many readings. Very confusing.

Some of the more memorable books I read and throughly relished was Roald Dahls My Uncle Oswald and his Tales of the Unknown,Switch Bitch. Strangely, I started reading Roald Dahls more salacious and horny stories in primary school, way before I got hold of his children's book. I have an autographed copy of My Uncle Oswald. Very juicy and very entertaining story. And I also have a rare print of Danny, Champion of the World. Very wicked story about poaching an an entire estate of pheasants.

Childhood was much spent reading classics, and fairy tales Grimms, HAns Christian Anderson and Edgar Allen Poe. One of my most favorite childhood reading is of the super wicked and mischievous Saki - H H Munroe, another name just like Muriel Sparks, which will make me smile and giggle. What can you imagine is a story called Shredni Vashtar? Do look this up and read about what happens to the wicked auntie. I think this was made into a film. Stories like this inspired Maurice Sendak Where the wild things are. Another jolly book.

I think I read quite a lot of trashy forgettable stuff in my teens - Sidney Sheldon, Susan Howatch, Cannot remember much. But I will look for a lot of this and read quite voraciously. Brideshead revisited was quite good, Evelyn Waugh - thought it was a lady writer for many years. I read a lot of Harold Robbins - much juicy sexy bits - and much underpants wetting, they don't write such sexy stuff like that anymore. I didn't dare buy the books - just read at the bookshop.

Some of the early gay books I read was the Peculiar Chris, only remember the part he gets fucked and hardly erotic. I found Hollinghurst Swimming pool library very enjoyable and very sexy, used to masturbate the parts where Will have sexy with Phil, the incidence at the cinema where he takes out phill dick 'a short punch number, and polishes it off' another sexy part is where will forces Phil to pee in his pants on the kitchen linoleum and fucks him. Phew very horny sexy stuff. The magic of the whole story is the way it was written, like a sexy wet dream. A lot of sexy allusions, a life made of many sexy wet dreams, where you wake to go gym, swim and theatre and dinner, before more sexy wet dreams.

So much good stuff in books. I will just die if I cannot read. I am reading about Empress a Dowager Cixi, a new story by Jung Chang and I am re reading Sterling Segrawe' Dragon Lady. Much impressed with this person, our history lessons in school was very unfair to her. Sorry I went on and on, nice to share here and thanks for the opportunity. Please read Saki, especially about Shredni Vashtar. Lol!

anyone own the second book of Brigitte lin...cloud come cloud back..

how your review ?

read the first one - quite enjoyable with her writing style. Read with curiosity of her limelight day.

I am still not able to get used to referring to Ling Ching Hsia as Brigette Lin. The Ling Ching Hsia name is like more suitable for her iconic reputatation as one of the most important actor of our items. I have not read any of her books. When Her first book Outside the Window came out, I tried looking for translation, but could'nt find any. I would like to know too if can get english version of her books.

I am still not able to get used to referring to Ling Ching Hsia as Brigette Lin. The Ling Ching Hsia name is like more suitable for her iconic reputatation as one of the most important actor of our items. I have not read any of her books. When Her first book Outside the Window came out, I tried looking for translation, but could'nt find any. I would like to know too if can get english version of her books.

so far I dun think so...

With the world enveloped in so much horror from war, two books Ive really loved contrast the utter evil of war with the glorious yoy of love at its most intense.

BIRDSONG

by Sebastian Faulks

Tragic and sensuous, its description of young love in the exquisite beauty of pre 1st World War France is achingly beautiful. The novel then separates the characters n launches them into the filth, tragedy n trenches of the war. The range of emotions is extraordinary n beautifully written.

ATONEMENT

by Ian McEwen

A novel with classic ingredients of love n war, innocence, guilt n forgiveness, the separation of the classes in pre 2nd World War England, the disastrous impact of childhood jealousies - the novel follows the lives of two people who accidentally fall desperately in love but are forever cursed by a childhood lie. A movie was made in 2007 but the book is far better.

I like Margaret Atwood, have read most of her books. Especially liked the last 3 - Oryx & Crake, Year of the Food and Mcaddams. Very intuitive and futuristic, can almost see all the things she details happening already - superiority of Pharmaceutical Companies, GMO and genetic engineering etc. Before Atwood I completely was obsessed with Muriel Sparks - she is the most jolliest author of all times fore me, just thinking of her name, makes me smile and giggle. Enjoyed all her books tremendously, especially prime of Jean Brodie. The Abbess of Crewe and most of all A Far Cry from Kensington. Read these years ago and still, remember all the juicy bits. They'll lest 3 books I have read is (1) Gone With the Wind - obsessed with it for many months (2) Eva Luna, especially I cannot forget Riad Halabi and Zulema, who eyed Salim 'with eyes of the Houri' - how people think up such things to write? (3) One Hundred Years of Solitute, after so mary readings I can only remember the characters Ursula and Melquidas the Jew, and Remedios the Beauty who went up the cloud with the sheets - there were so many characters!!!! Still cannot make sense of the so many men Buendias after many readings. Very confusing.

Some of the more memorable books I read and throughly relished was Roald Dahls My Uncle Oswald and his Tales of the Unknown,Switch Bitch. Strangely, I started reading Roald Dahls more salacious and horny stories in primary school, way before I got hold of his children's book. I have an autographed copy of My Uncle Oswald. Very juicy and very entertaining story. And I also have a rare print of Danny, Champion of the World. Very wicked story about poaching an an entire estate of pheasants.

Childhood was much spent reading classics, and fairy tales Grimms, HAns Christian Anderson and Edgar Allen Poe. One of my most favorite childhood reading is of the super wicked and mischievous Saki - H H Munroe, another name just like Muriel Sparks, which will make me smile and giggle. What can you imagine is a story called Shredni Vashtar? Do look this up and read about what happens to the wicked auntie. I think this was made into a film. Stories like this inspired Maurice Sendak Where the wild things are. Another jolly book.

I think I read quite a lot of trashy forgettable stuff in my teens - Sidney Sheldon, Susan Howatch, Cannot remember much. But I will look for a lot of this and read quite voraciously. Brideshead revisited was quite good, Evelyn Waugh - thought it was a lady writer for many years. I read a lot of Harold Robbins - much juicy sexy bits - and much underpants wetting, they don't write such sexy stuff like that anymore. I didn't dare buy the books - just read at the bookshop.

Some of the early gay books I read was the Peculiar Chris, only remember the part he gets fucked and hardly erotic. I found Hollinghurst Swimming pool library very enjoyable and very sexy, used to masturbate the parts where Will have sexy with Phil, the incidence at the cinema where he takes out phill dick 'a short punch number, and polishes it off' another sexy part is where will forces Phil to pee in his pants on the kitchen linoleum and fucks him. Phew very horny sexy stuff. The magic of the whole story is the way it was written, like a sexy wet dream. A lot of sexy allusions, a life made of many sexy wet dreams, where you wake to go gym, swim and theatre and dinner, before more sexy wet dreams.

So much good stuff in books. I will just die if I cannot read. I am reading about Empress a Dowager Cixi, a new story by Jung Chang and I am re reading Sterling Segrawe' Dragon Lady. Much impressed with this person, our history lessons in school was very unfair to her. Sorry I went on and on, nice to share here and thanks for the opportunity. Please read Saki, especially about Shredni Vashtar. Lol!

Read a number of Margaret Atwood's books, and I do like the trilogy, especially the first 2... I find MaddAdam not as satisfying as the first 2...

Eva Luna is by Isabel Allende yes? I remember her House Of The Spirits, a very memorable read. Have you read that?

Totally agreed with the many men of One Hundred Years LOL

I first got to know of Roald Dahl in secondary school coz we did The BFG as a literature text in either Sec 1 or 2... But his books are good and recommended :)

I also read some Sidney Sheldon in my youth LOL - my fav was Master Of The Game, where I loved the storyline especially between the mad and fair (the twins Alexandra and Eve), and also The Sands Of Time.

Other of my fav authors:

Michael Ondaatje (of course)

Chris Bohjalian

Joyce Carol Oates

Niall Williams

Colm Toibin

I'm into Latin American literature - so far I've read Jorge Luis Borges's Collected Fictions, Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, Juan Rulfo's Pedro Paramo, Clarice Lispector's The Passion According to G.H., Manuel Puig's Kiss of the Spider Woman, Carlos Fuentes's Aura and Adolfo Bioy Casares's The Invention of Morel. There are loads of stuff I've not read yet. While English, French and Russian literature often get canonized, you'd be lucky to see Kawabata or Lu Xun in the canon.

- A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood.

- The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee

- The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli 

Highly recommend these reads. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Reading

Naomi and The Key by Jun'ichiro Tanizaki

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

One Day by David Nicholls (made into movie starring Anne Hathaway)

The Mouse and the Motocycle by Beverly Cleary (one of my fav childhood reads)

• Guest locked this topic
  • 1 year later...

I enjoy Stephen King and have a soft spot for medical thrillers too: Robin Cook and Michael Crichton are my favorite authors for this genre. Novels are such a guilty pleasure of mine haha.

Most of the time these days, though, I end up reading magazines - it's part of my job :/

Haha I have yet to touch Stephen King even though I have The Shining on my shelf waiting to be read. Novels are definitely a guilty pleasure. 

Eh, media job? 

2 minutes ago, zyjd said:

I enjoy Stephen King and have a soft spot for medical thrillers too: Robin Cook and Michael Crichton are my favorite authors for this genre. Novels are such a guilty pleasure of mine haha.

Most of the time these days, though, I end up reading magazines - it's part of my job :/

5 minutes ago, thousandred said:

Some of my favourite include:

• Flowers for Algernon
  • A Monster Calls
  • North Korean Novels and Biographies
  • Rich Dad Poor Dad

I am embarking on a quest to finish 2-3 books a month, even though my annual goal is a book a month.

Wow, 2-3 a month. That is very fast. I'm intending to read either Tolstoy's War and peace or Cervantes's Don Quixote next. Will probably take me quite a while to finish these. 

Haha the legendary War and Peace by Tolstoy! Definitely a read about Russian Lit and History. And also about love apparently! (I have yet to read it!)

1 minute ago, Lennon said:

Wow, 2-3 a month. That is very fast. I'm intending to read either Tolstoy's War and peace or Cervantes's Don Quixote next. Will probably take me quite a while to finish these. 

Just now, thousandred said:

Haha I have yet to touch Stephen King even though I have The Shining on my shelf waiting to be read. Novels are definitely a guilty pleasure. 

Eh, media job? 

not media. I'm in the sales line but my company makes us read magazines relating to the field to ensure we are up-to-date with the latest. I used to be interested in that genre of magazines before I joined but ever since they became compulsory reading (there are surprise tests where there's a penalty if you fail) those magazines started to become a bit of a chore.

Just now, zyjd said:

not media. I'm in the sales line but my company makes us read magazines relating to the field to ensure we are up-to-date with the latest. I used to be interested in that genre of magazines before I joined but ever since they became compulsory reading (there are surprise tests where there's a penalty if you fail) those magazines started to become a bit of a chore.

oh man. But if you have time, why not read? its hard to find the gay men who read haha

Just now, thousandred said:

oh man. But if you have time, why not read? its hard to find the gay men who read haha

thing is I don't have time while at work haha. I am already snowed under with paperwork and appointments - I've resorted to paying for a digital subscription for those magazines so I can read them at night when I'm home and unwinding.

I used to write better when I was reading proper books. I feel a bit dumbed down now that it's mainly magazines :x

15 minutes ago, Lennon said:

It seems like a very heavy bias towards fiction. Any non-fiction books you enjoyed reading? I read two of Richard Dawkin's works (controversial) and found admiration for his logical argumentative writing. Extremely persuasive!

I swayed quite a bit in reading fiction as it is my guilty pleasure. but i have been picking up more non-fiction lately. 

Perhaps 2 Non-fiction and 2 fiction per month to balance it out! 

1 minute ago, thousandred said:

I swayed quite a bit in reading fiction as it is my guilty pleasure. but i have been picking up more non-fiction lately. 

Perhaps 2 Non-fiction and 2 fiction per month to balance it out! 

You are really very passionate in reading. :) Do you own those books or borrow them?

As much as I love buying books, I am quickly running out of space to keep them! Haha! 

So I have recently converted to reading ebooks on my Kindle, and they’re so much cheaper! 

Some of the books I’ve read:

-Galileo’s Daughter

-The Pearl That Broke Its Shell

-Nothing To Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea 

-Victoria and Abdul

-The Kite Runner

-A Thousand Splendid Suns

-Sipping From The Nile 

-The Prophet’s Hair

-After Disasters

-A Forgotten Land: Growing Up In The Jewish Pale

-I Know This Much Is True

-Inferno

-Diary of a Jewish Muslim: an Egyptian Novel

-Letters from Thailand

-After the Prophet: The Epic Story of the Shi’a-Sunni Split in Islam 

Guest 72%dark
4 hours ago, thousandred said:

I swayed quite a bit in reading fiction as it is my guilty pleasure.

I read a lot of fiction and feel no guilt whatsoever. Life is more than a sum of objective facts, and literature is one of mankind’s ways of making sense of the myriad facets of existence that underlie and transcend the banal facts. As writer John Dufresne put it, “Fiction is telling the truth, not telling the facts.” (2003)

I do read non-fiction too of course, but I’d be a dull and soulless person if I read only non-fiction. Besides, the pleasure derived from reading fiction is really quite benign compared to other sources of pleasure.

A novel I’m currently reading: The One-Eyed Man by Ron Currie.

5 hours ago, thousandred said:

its hard to find the gay men who read haha

Lol. Back when I still advertised my interests on one of the apps, I listed reading at the top, but only one person I chatted with ever discussed it with me. Anyway @thousandred you know how to get in touch with me if you wanna discuss the books we’re reading. ;)

8 hours ago, Arthur said:

As much as I love buying books, I am quickly running out of space to keep them! Haha! 

So I have recently converted to reading ebooks on my Kindle, and they’re so much cheaper! 

Some of the books I’ve read:

-Galileo’s Daughter

-The Pearl That Broke Its Shell

-Nothing To Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea 

-Victoria and Abdul

-The Kite Runner

-A Thousand Splendid Suns

-Sipping From The Nile 

-The Prophet’s Hair

-After Disasters

-A Forgotten Land: Growing Up In The Jewish Pale

-I Know This Much Is True

-Inferno

-Diary of a Jewish Muslim: an Egyptian Novel

-Letters from Thailand

-After the Prophet: The Epic Story of the Shi’a-Sunni Split in Islam 

How are these book? Nothing to envy has been in my wish list since forever!

• G_M changed the title to Favorite books
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.