Male HQ

Best Deep Fried Japanese Pork Cutlet

Thread Started By: redken

Posted: February 17, 2008 03:37 pm

Anyone tried Tonkichi at the Suntec city before? I've tried a few times and loved it. The port cutlet is so crisy on the outside and damn juicy inside. Heard they had a secret recipe for frying and the deep fried stuff is totally non-oily. The manager spoke to me once about good cholestral in the pork belly. I didn't quite understood it.

Premium sashimi are air-flown in from Japan every tuesday. If you're sashimi lover, be there on tuesdays....

Anyway, its one of the restaurants around the Fountain of Wealth. Must try if you're there. smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: GKS

Posted: February 17, 2008 08:19 pm

Try the one at isetan scotts. That's even better than suntech.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: akated

Posted: February 17, 2008 09:49 pm

(GKS @ February 17, 2008 08:19 pm)

Try the one at isetan scotts. That's even better than suntech.

aren't both tonkichi?

anyway, there's a third branch of tonkichi at ngee ann city.

another place to try tonkatsu in singapore is ton ton at central.

Comment: Asura

Posted: February 18, 2008 10:47 am

Yeap yeap, I agree tonkichi is the best deep fried pork cutlet I had ever taste. Now all 3 restaurant has the same taste and are equally best, but when it comes to service, not all are equal.

The one at Isetan Scotts has the best service IMO, friendly, prompt (although during weekends they are abit tighgt as the restaurant is normally full house and long queue outside.

The Suntec brunch is number 2, some of the waiter is polite and friendly and they even talk to you about the food you are eating. Compare to Isetan, they are less inform but nevertheless, polite and friendly, we had one of our gathering there and we are cracking jokes with the waiter and waitress. And by the way, a few of the waiter is cute tongue.gif

Ngee Ann city brunch is the worst of the lot, which I had ever lodge my complaint before. The young waiter and waitress literally throw the plates of food on the table that day when I went there with a friend to celebrate his birthday. The staff there are all very young, students working part time. When I ask for things (say tartar sauce or mayo, they claim they do not know what is that....)

generally food is nice, ambience is good on all 3 brunch.

Isetan brunch 9/10

Suntec brunch 8/10 (loose to isetan cause the interior deco is not as good)

Ngee Ann brunch 5/10 (not even worth 1% service charge at all)

PS. by the way, some of the cutlet set comes with free flow of rice and crystal cabbage, nice! laugh.gif

Comment: Baloo

Posted: February 24, 2008 11:26 am

I was wondering what PORT cutlets were.....

portly?, port as in sweet wine? - how can it be cut?

then i realised it's PORK cutlet... damn...

ja chu pa... i like the ones at those hawker centre 'hainanese curry rice' stalls...

haha...

I'd tried pork cutlet in Tokyo Japan... enough said...

cool.gif

Comment: Buaya

Posted: February 24, 2008 05:01 pm

Talk about pork chop cutlet... Anyone knows where the Shaw Tower Pork Chop Cutlet Rice stall had shifted to after they converted the foodcourt to the Restaurant? Missed it... Thanks... tongue.gif

Comment: Panda_9791

Posted: February 27, 2008 12:39 am

Tonkinchi is nice. But i feel that this particular jap restaurant at B1 of Liang Court serves the best pork cutlet. They use "black pig" for the pork and hence extra juicy. I think Central has a similar restaurant that uses black pig too bw2/thumb.gif

Comment: redken

Posted: February 27, 2008 12:46 am

Oh ya. I've visited the restaurant at Liang Court too. The Japanese owner used to work in Tonkichi for many years, before he decide to open his own. Heard that from chatting with other diners.

Btw, he is a real eye-candy bw2/icon_redface.gif really handsome mature man.... tongue.gif

Comment: akated

Posted: February 28, 2008 12:20 am

(Panda_9791 @ February 27, 2008 12:39 am)

Tonkinchi is nice. But i feel that this particular jap restaurant at B1 of Liang Court serves the best pork cutlet. They use "black pig" for the pork and hence extra juicy. I think Central has a similar restaurant that uses black pig too bw2/thumb.gif

both restaurants are called tom ton, and yes both use kurobuta (black pork). i'm assuming that they are run by the same people.

the tom ton at liang court is attached to tampopo (a ramen restaurant, named after a famous japanese movie about... you've guessed it, ramen). the black pork ramen there is supposed to be excellent.

Comment: redken

Posted: February 28, 2008 01:18 am

Lian He Zao Bao just had a writeup on Tetsu, a new tonkatsu shop opened in tanglin mall. Had not tried it but the writeup described vividly the appetiser "Onsen boiled egg". Very tantalising but very pricey. The critic compared Tetsu with Tonkichi and seemingly preferred Tonkichi, though he's writing about Tetsu.

Will probably go try out Tetsu.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.