Male HQ

What To Eat In Orchard Road?

Thread Started By: Panda_9791

Posted: March 03, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi All, I'm going to Orchard Road soon and was thinking again what to eat... I always have this problem about where to eat in Orchard Rd. Because i don't feel like eating fast-food and food courts when i'm there, then i'm left with afforadable restaurants which i had eaten so many times like Ding Tai Feng, Spaghetties, Jack's Place, Waraku etc.

So Bros, let's throw in some suggestions shall we?

I know Shaw building has a few small-time jap restaurants and an ok standard western food restaurant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: TopChinese

Posted: March 03, 2008 12:59 pm

Orchard Rd suffers from the problem that overwhelms diners in Singapore. There are too many mediocre restaurants that serve blah blah overpriced food. I will rather eat hawker than be caught getting fat at another Cafe Cartel or Fish & Co.

Here are the gems if I really want to splurge along Orchard Rd:

1. Marmalade Pantry. Palais Renaissance.

The place for brunch. Very chi chi with tai tais

2. Ayam Penyet Ria. Lucky Plaza

Amazing smashed chicken and other Indonesian delicacies at a great price.

3. Canele Patisserie. Paragon.

Dessert delights. Take care of your macaroons fetish here.

4. Projectshop Café. Paragon.

Best place for mediterranean inspired cuisine. Also great for hunk spotting

6. Noodle House Ken. Orchard Plaza.

Great authentic ramen with hunky jap uncle cook.

7. Absolute Haven. Prinsep St (slightly off Dhoby Ghaut)

Reasonable delicious european cuisine with excellent wine selection.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: wala_x02

Posted: March 03, 2008 02:04 pm

I must agree that TC made some good recommendations:

A must-try at Marmalade Pantry is their crabmeat linguini. bw2/thumb.gif

Ayam Penyet Ria, i love their fried ayam and their Gado Gado. bw2/thumb.gif

One-ninety at 4 seasons is good too. East West fusion.

Mezza9 at Hyatt is good too.

I feel that cream bistro (Pacific Plaza, just behind That CD Shop) is not bad either, good for poor students like me. biggrin.gif

They serve pretty decent stuff, good service. They have a pretty wide variety of stuff ranging from jap, western, italian to east-west fusion. They do pretty good sandwiches, fish and chips and my personal favourite is their seafood spaghetti goreng (some peeps might find that a tad too spicy though)

Comment: fortysumthing

Posted: March 03, 2008 06:38 pm

For people like me who only come back to Sg once in a while, I like the peranakan restaurant in Negara Hotel. Last trip back, I think it has changed name to Pan Pacific.

Posted: March 03, 2008 10:25 pm

(fortysumthing @ March 03, 2008 06:38 pm)

For people like me who only come back to Sg once in a while, I like the peranakan restaurant in Negara Hotel. Last trip back, I think it has changed name to Pan Pacific.

Yes its now the Pan Pacific Orchard Hotel.

The House of Peranakan is still there. It was very expensive and I wasn't very impressed the last time I was there.

Comment: akated

Posted: March 04, 2008 12:05 am

(TopChinese @ March 03, 2008 12:59 pm)

6. Noodle House Ken. Orchard Plaza.

Great authentic ramen with hunky jap uncle cook.

Would you believe if i say that my favourite item at canele is not their desserts, but their Salad Canele? Greens with crabmeat (real crabmeat hor, not the fake surimi kind), drizzled with a zingy citrus dressing... yummy! not too wowed by their macaroons (but then nothing less would suffice after having eaten the best macaroons in the world from pierre herme). and the standard of their ice-creams have taken a beating...

Haven't been back to Ramen Ken for a while; though i've heard that their standards have dropped...

More suggestions for Orchard Road Dining:

1. Kazu.

Sumiyaki place on the 4th storey of Cuppage Plaza. Yummy yakitori sticks; go for the less "traditional" ones like bacon-wrapped scallops and foie gras. Added bonus of cute Japanese salariman getting wasted on their beers and shochus.

2. Shimbashi Soba.

Decent soba at B1 Paragon. Owned by the Kuriya group. Cute Japanese noodle-maker bear on display.

3. Crystal Jade Golden Palace.

If stylish decor's your thing, this place on the 5th storey of Paragon will impress. Moddish chinoise with good food. Try the steamed eel with Jinghua ham.

4. Hediard Cafe.

Craving for a parisian breakfast fix? Then give this place a try. Located at Tudor Court, this place serves a very decent version of Croque Monsieur and Madame.

5. Wild Rocket.

Slightly off the beaten track on Mount Emily, come here on sunday mornings for their superb burger. Desserts are excellent, including a "deconstructed" cheesecake, pandan panna-cotta, and coconut ice-cream with gula melaka.

6. Tenshin

If you're craving for tempura, and money's no object. Located at The Regent Singapore, this is tempura at its best. Go during lunch if you want to save some money; but remember to shell out for a parcel of the most amazing uni tempura.

Comment: chubbylover

Posted: March 04, 2008 12:40 am

How abt Rice Table?

Comment: chubaholic

Posted: March 04, 2008 02:25 am

(TopChinese @ March 03, 2008 12:59 pm)

1. Marmalade Pantry. Palais Renaissance.

The place for brunch. Very chi chi with tai tais

Been to and second these.

Had the pastas, crab salad, and hamburgers at Marmalade Pantry.

Don't have sweet tooth but liked the crepes and salad at Canele.

Posted: March 04, 2008 10:51 am

Shimashi Soba.

Just one comment: Go early to beat the lunch/dinner crowd timing, the queue is always long.

Wild Rocket.

Avoid their 'signature' laksa pasta ... i really dunno what the chef Willin Low is doing with it. lol. Give me a real authentic bowl of laksa anytime. biggrin.gif I like their soft shell crab with black pepper sauce and their cod is pretty nicely done too.

One plus point abt that location is that its just opposite emily hill park ... nice, quiet and secluded. Can definately bring ur 'special one' over for a nice cuddling session post dinner.

I think that tenshin is over rated.

Omg ... its so EX!! ... and i only get to eat 1 small prawn tempura (i think the prawn is like 10cm x 2cm? can anyone tell me what breed of prawn they use? cos it doesn't look like the typical tiger prawns) ... waiting for the chef to fry the legs (yes, they expect us to eat the legs as the teaser) and then the body its too agonizing for me. Which means ... try not to go there hungry (cos you won't be full) and go only when u really have too much $$$ to spare.

Posted: March 04, 2008 11:20 am

(wala_x02 @ March 04, 2008 10:51 am)

Wild Rocket.

Avoid their 'signature' laksa pasta ... i really dunno what the chef Willin Low is doing with it. lol. Give me a real authentic bowl of laksa anytime. biggrin.gif I like their soft shell crab with black pepper sauce and their cod is pretty nicely done too.

One plus point abt that location is that its just opposite emily hill park ... nice, quiet and secluded. Can definately bring ur 'special one' over for a nice cuddling session post dinner.

I will like to support the very sexy yandao Willin, who is a fellow ex-lawyer also. But I find the portions at Wild Rocket too small and the place too atas to go on a regular basis. The laksa pesto was barely enough to call entree.. let alone main course. No way I'm going to pay those prices for the Wild Rocket Burger here and at Relish (Cluny Court).. give me Carls Jr or the burger at Brewerkz/Wine Garage anytime.

Aiyoh why so "steal chicken fondle dog" one? You want cuddle.. go get a room at Hangout @ Mt. Emily lah! They dun have hourly rates tho.

Comment: Panda_9791

Posted: March 04, 2008 11:40 am

Ooh Brewerkz! Damn, those ale are shiok bw2/thumb.gif I miss the Indian Pale Ale... blink.gif

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Posted: March 04, 2008 07:42 pm

(TopChinese @ March 04, 2008 11:20 am)
(wala_x02 @ March 04, 2008 10:51 am)

Wild Rocket.

I will like to support the very sexy yandao Willin, who is a fellow ex-lawyer also. But I find the portions at Wild Rocket too small and the place too atas to go on a regular basis. The laksa pesto was barely enough to call entree.. let alone main course. No way I'm going to pay those prices for the Wild Rocket Burger here and at Relish (Cluny Court).. give me Carls Jr or the Cowboy burger at Brewerkz/Wine Garage anytime.

Aiyoh why so "steal chicken fondle dog" one? You want cuddle.. go get a room at Hangout @ Mt. Emily lah! They dun have hourly rates tho.

Haha! I knew someone would point this out. biggrin.gif I did my internet search before, looking up on their different rooms and rates. *try booking by the internet, its cheaper than getting a room there on the spot, if you want* But somehow romancing at the park seems more exciting no? lol. tongue.gif

Btw, Willin is featured on this mth's CLEO's 50 eligible bachelors issue ... Haha

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

Comment: tennis_uncle

Posted: March 05, 2008 09:09 am

(Panda_9791 @ March 04, 2008 11:40 am)

Ooh Brewerkz! Damn, those ale are shiok bw2/thumb.gif I miss the Indian Pale Ale... blink.gif

When did Brewerkz open a branch in Orchard Rd?

But i know what u mean Panda_9791. Anyone keen on sharing a weekday lunchtime jug? biggrin.gif

Too bad they dun seem to have 1 for 1s anymore. mad.gif sad.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: March 05, 2008 09:16 am

So naughty... I'm soo wrapped up in work here that a pint of IPA over lunch during week is a total sin! Only 4.99$ some more before 3pm.

Sigh.. can't wait to tender.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: Travelin' Man

Posted: March 05, 2008 10:05 am

You know what? All these places you guys mentioned, I have ABSOLUTELY no idea where they are and what they serve. sad.gif Zero, zilch, nada ideas.

In fact, I can't even remember the last time I went to Orchard Road. Do they allow old men there? biggrin.gif

The last time I went out on a gay date, I brought him to the old Kallang airport hawker centre. ohmy.gif

Posted: March 05, 2008 11:57 am

(tennis_uncle @ March 05, 2008 09:09 am)

But i know what u mean Panda_9791. Anyone keen on sharing a weekday lunchtime jug? biggrin.gif

Hey Tennis Uncle, nope, Brewerkz still at Robertson Quay! I sure would like to have a lunchtime mug of IPA!!! tongue.gif

U still have my number right? Call me.

Posted: March 05, 2008 12:11 pm

Dear Travelin' Man, of course Old folks are allowed at Orchard Rd. Let me take u there and show u ok smile.gif If u feel scared, i will hold your hand and guide u.

Anyway, old Kallang airport hawker centre's food rocks! I'm so glad i stay near there bw2/thumb.gif

"i think tenshin is overrated...Omg ... its so EX!! ... and i only get to eat 1 small prawn tempura..."

wala,

personally, i'm not a big eater; perhaps that's why i found the portion to be just nice. I must add though that I'm a believer of the 70% full rule - i try not to stuff myself to the max, as negative utility always sets in when i overeat. give me a small amount of ambriosa over a huge plate of rubbish anytime.

also, i try not to judge the quality of what i eat relative to the cost, but on its own terms. when you say that tenshin is overrated, are you making that statement via-a-vis the cost? or did you find the tempura not up to standard? cos seriously, have you ever had tempura like that served in tenshin anywhere else in singapore?

Edited by akated

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

Okok, i take back on what i said abt the filling = value for money ... it was a sweeping personal remark, cos i can go and get a plate of chicken rice (with extra rice and chicken to serve that function, any time)

However, with all due respect ... erm ... i really dun feel how tenshin's tempura tastes any much different from another one to warrant such a premium (unless u want to factor in effort of the waitress presenting to you the fresh prawn you are going to eat next in a nicely woven bamboo basket, the chef taking the whole day to fry 1 tempura before your eyes, the white sheet of paper that the tempura is being served on, and the 3 different types of flavouring powder to go with - seaweed/chilli/seasalt). At the end of the day, the litmus test boils down to the taste of the tempura. If you can find a fresh live prawn, dun screw up on the batter and fry it with precision (disclaimer: i'm not a cook here, just from my visual observation) there's no way one can screw this dish up.

I simply can't differentiate it from the next tempura served from another good jap restaurant establishment, that provides me greater utility.

QUOTE ( Comment: Travelin' Man

Posted: March 05 @ 2008 10:05 am)

You know what? All these places you guys mentioned, I have ABSOLUTELY no idea where they are and what they serve. sad.gif Zero, zilch, nada ideas.

In fact, I can't even remember the last time I went to Orchard Road. Do they allow old men there? biggrin.gif

The last time I went out on a gay date, I brought him to the old Kallang airport hawker centre. ohmy.gif

Ok.. community service here.

Marmalade Pantry (Palais Renaissance)

390 Orchard Road

#B1-08 Palais Renaissance

Ayam Penyet Ria (Orchard)

304 Orchard Road

#01-45 & #04-25 Lucky Plaza

Canele Patisserie - Chocolaterie (Paragon)

290 Orchard Road

#B1-25 The Paragon

Projectshop Café (PS Cafe @ Paragon)

290 Orchard Road

#03-41/44 The Paragon

Noodle House Ken

150 Orchard Road

#01-17/18 Orchard Plaza

Absolute Haven

70 Prinsep Street

One Ninety

190 Orchard Boulevard

GF Four Seasons Hotel

Mezza9

10 Scotts Road

2F Grand Hyatt Hotel

Cream Bistro

9 Scotts Road

#01-04/05/06 Pacific Plaza

House Of Peranakan Cuisine (Pan Pacific Orchard)

10 Claymore Road

GF Pan Pacific Orchard)

Kazu Sumiyaki Restaurant

5 Koek Road

#04-05 Cuppage Plaza

Shimbashi Soba - Sobaworld

290 Orchard Road

#B1-41 The Paragon

Crystal Jade Golden Restaurant (Paragon)

290 Orchard Road

#05-10 The Paragon

Hediard Cafe-Boutique

123-125 Tanglin Road

Tudor Court

Wild Rocket at Mount Emily

10A Upper Wilkie Road

GF Hangout @ Mount Emily

Tenshin Japanese Restaurant

1 Cuscaden Road

#03-01 The Regent

The Rice Table (Orchard)

360 Orchard Road

#02-09 International Building

The Rice Table (Cuppage)

43 Cuppage Road

Cuppage Terrace

Relish

501 Bukit Timah Road

#02-01 Cluny Court

Brewerkz Restaurant & Microbrewery (Riverside Point)

30 Merchant Road

#01-05/06 Riverside Point

WineGarage

30 Merchant Road

#01-07 Riverside Point

Use this link if you need a map

Edited by TopChinese

wala,

it is said that the japanese "eat with their eyes". now, don't get me wrong, and take that statement to mean that i find japanese food more pretty than tasty (in fact, i find the japanese to likely be the most sensitive people when dealing with produce, but that's for another argument), but what i mean is that a good japanese meal must, in my book, be perfect when it comes to presentation, and i think tenshin definitely scores high on that.

as for the taste, you note that "If you can find a fresh live prawn, dun screw up on the batter and fry it with precision", then it will be good. yes, i totally agree with that, but how often do you get that in singapore? cos i really would like to know of any japanese restaurant in singapore that does equally good tempura. i've tried tempura at places like kuriya and inagiku, and i find their tempura to be fine, but just not magical like tenshin's.

topchinese,

:clap: :clap: :clap:

more recommendations would be welcome!

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

Even if tenshin's serves the best tempura in singapore, it's only marginally better. And if it's just for that margin, one has to fork out exponentially higher price for it, I'd rather forgo patronizing that joint.

Haha, anyway the reason i went there was that i've heard too much stories abt how good their tempuras were. Never did i know that it was that expensive. At least that experience killed my curiosity, albeit the price paid. :P

Btw if u are wondering what's my favourite jap restaurant, i'll say it is Ikukan. :thumb:

Edited by wala_x02

hahaha... well, to me that margin is all it takes :)

if you go for lunch it's much cheaper - 40 bucks for the set.

you know, i've been wanting to go to ikukan the first day it opened! and i've never been... how many years has it been there? 6? 7? maybe we should go sometime! :D

Edited by akated

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

Well ... as the saying goes ... one man's magical tempura is another man's arm and leg (mine). LOL.

You should try Ikukan. Haha. It swept me off my feet. Their sashimi, lamb rack, their grilled tuna ... i dunno what's it called, but it's grilled on the outside, raw on the inside and of course, tempura are good. Yea, why not? It's near my workplace when i start work in Aug ... :P

You should try Ikukan. Haha. It swept me off my feet. Their sashimi, lamb rack, their grilled tuna ... i dunno what's it called, but it's grilled on the outside, raw on the inside and of course, tempura are good. Yea, why not? It's near my workplace when i start work in Aug ... :P

Seared tuna. So simple to make. Good sashimi-quality tuna marinated in mirin, soy sauce and a dash of lemon. All the smoky grilled flavours on the outside while the inside remains soft and melts in your mouth. Totally orgasmic and its one of my dog's favourite dishes. One of the best examples I've had was in the Resort Sentosa at the Cliff.. but we're digressing from Orchard Road.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I've found a nice restaurant at Orchard Rd recently after being there almost 6 days in a row for the Spore Film Fest. It's Cedele at Wheelock Place. I thought the dinner set is quite reasonably priced and the food quality actually tasted good and lite (if u skip the desserts...) :P

Hey redken, yup, Modesto is quite good! i love their pizza... comparable to Brewerkz at Stadium walk!

Koh Samui, I need u...

Does anyone know if the Ghengis Khan Mongolian Restaurant at Park Mall is still open?

or is it Kubulai Khan... hahaha never could get the name rite...

but the food there is not bad if you are into the mongolian style BBQ... got nice show to see too the way they cook your vegs/meats...

the buffet also have salmon sashimi plates (although as usual, most STINKapoleans strike like they are the most uncouth people on planet Earth)

is quite good for a lazy lunch ... if they are still open...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.