Male HQ

Advice on losing fats and gaining muscles

Zac.18

Always been overweight (65kg for a person with a height of 161 is considered overweight) and I want to loose the fats in my belly, I'm aware that my eating habits are a result of my weight but I'm aiming to at least be lean by the end of this year. Could anyone advice me on what to do? Like what type of exercise should I do?

How about you tell us about
1) Number of hours you intend to commit per week.
2) Your target weight.

3) Prior experience in exercising, gym, sports.

For starters, if you haven't, try doing light cardio exercises like running on treadmill/cycling and the smith machines. 
Lookout for beginner gym programmes once you are comfortable, I'm sure that they are widely available in reddit/internet. 

6 minutes ago, Steven94 said:

How about you tell us about
1) Number of hours you intend to commit per week.
2) Your target weight.

3) Prior experience in exercising, gym, sports.

For starters, if you haven't, try doing light cardio exercises like running on treadmill/cycling and the smith machines. 
Lookout for beginner gym programmes once you are comfortable, I'm sure that they are widely available in reddit/internet. 

Would like to start out with 2 hours  per week first and slowly increase to 4 hours.

Target weight: 55kg? Idk just want to become lean 

All prior experience is all from sec sch pe only..

23 minutes ago, Zac.18 said:

Would like to start out with 2 hours  per week first and slowly increase to 4 hours.

Target weight: 55kg? Idk just want to become lean 

All prior experience is all from sec sch pe only..

The recommended guideline (healthhub) is 150minutes of physical activity (aerobic) per week. 
2 hours is a good start than not starting at all. 
If you are not used to running, research on the form/posture and speed variation.

Your schedule can be:
Day 1- 6 rounds around stadium (2.4km) or threadmill 

20mins 

Day 2- Play with smith machines 

30mins

Day 3 - Rest

Repeat

(2 hours a week) 

Other things to take note:

1. Invest in a running shoe (I personally prefer the barefoot kinds but you can do your own research on them)
  2. Treadmill may be better, safer for running. 
  3. A bluetooth earpiece and spotify to keep up motivation. Or not listen to music at all. 
  4. Fitnesspal to track diet (you can type in your weight goal!)
  5. Smith machines do more reps if you are new, focus on the correct form first. (Download apps for form check)
  6. Invest in a foam roller (~10 dollar) because you will be very very sore-ry.

It will take a month or so before you begin your beginner gym program that involves free weights/barbells and major lifting exercises :). 

I notice you are 18 too, consider some sports in the school if you are studying!

Edited by Steven94

Well for convenience sake, refer to the below link, 
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/recommended_routines

start with Phrak's Variant of the Greyskull LP program as the beginner gym programme when comfortable. Or join a sports CCA. 

Drink lots of water and necessary salt if not there will be cramps. 

Edited by Steven94

On 2/19/2018 at 9:14 PM, Zac.18 said:

Always been overweight (65kg for a person with a height of 161 is considered overweight) and I want to loose the fats in my belly, I'm aware that my eating habits are a result of my weight but I'm aiming to at least be lean by the end of this year. Could anyone advice me on what to do? Like what type of exercise should I do?

Ahh..its good that you have began to ask yourself this question on fitness. I think for a good start is to watch that diet. Keep a food diary or some log for your diet. As for physical activity, I do want to recommend something which you can do for a sustainable period of time. Most people get bored form running, so find a sport or an activity that you enjoy. You could also try to find some time to hit the weights or gym room if time permits. Most importantly as Steven94 mentioned, try to hit 150 min of moderate intensity physical activity a week. For obese or overweight individuals, we would usually recommend a higher duration of 250 min a week. I like how you set yourself a goal. The journey is long. Be optimistic about things. Every inch lost is a 5-10% reduction in health risks (e.g. diabetes, heart disease, etc). 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Zac.18 said:

all the best to u!

be consistent and dun quit 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.