Male HQ

Bak Kut Teh Revisited "founders"

Revisited the Founders' Bak Kut Teh on Balestier Road yesterday evening...

The standards have remained ... it's absolutely shiok to eat the huge pieces of pork ribs...

the braised trotters (ordered fully lean meat due to constraints of family presence)

the 'tang oh' vegetables soup...

the 'chai bueh' salted veg...

had 2 top ups of soup...

reconfirmed... this is THE BENCHMARK for the non-medical herbal style bak kut teh... to which all other BKT is compared...

where is this place? aiyoh... it's opposite the Shaw Balestier Cineplex across the overhead pedestrian bridge on Balestier Road... next to a popular hotel with transit rooms :)

how convenient....

:twisted:

Guest eatdrinkmanwoman

Baloo (is your last name Seetoh btw?), have you tried the popular bak kut teh at Ang Mo Kio wet market, the one near the swimming pool? I think that is divine. Unfortunately I am not a fan of bkt so I only eat there once in a full moon. The balestir stall that you mentioned seemed kinda of crowded most of the times so I didnt bother to try there since there is already a respectable one near my house.

AMK Ave 1... ok I go look for it to try during lunch hour...

actually, if they open till only 2-3pm ... they open quite early then... for the breakfast crowd? maybe i go there before going to work...

Edited by Baloo

i've tried the one at amk; if it's the same one, it's certainly cheap, but i won't go so far as to say it's divine. i find the meat to be a bit on the hard side sometimes...

Edited by akated

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

Hi Baloo, wondering can u help? im still looking for any bak kut teh that serves onion oily rice. not those yam rice, but those oily rice which they mix white rice with fried red onion. Do u know any place?

Thanks!

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

Hi Baloo, wondering can u help? im still looking for any bak kut teh that serves onion oily rice. not those yam rice, but those oily rice which they mix white rice with fried red onion. Do u know any place?

Thanks!

hmmm... never noticed that kind of rice leh...

but can keep a lookout for it...

Baloo, if you do venture all the way to that amk stall, must try is their dark-sauced pig trotters. Sinful but you die happy. :D

ok will remember to do that... Founder's trotters is also absolutely sinful... unless you order the lean meat type

Before visiting 1-7 this afternoon, I decided to give the new corner bak kut teh stall a try. The few times I passed by, the restaurant seems to be doing brisk business so it must be reasonably good, or so I thought. Song Fa Bak Kut Teh's chinese earth-brown deco looks pretty authentic. I had a quick glance at the price- it seems quite reasonable- pork ribs soup(s)- $5, (b)-$7, same for pig trotters, salted veg- $1, other green veg- $3. I ordered the soup, a small plate of lean trotters (it also does the fattier version) and a plate of salted veg. Also a can coke zero to wash away all the oil. :D

The serving is pretty generous. I tasted the soup- it's mouth-watering good, not too thick with just the right hint of pepper to stimulate the palate. I wish I could pronounce the meat divine. Alas, it was not to be. My incisors had to work hard to tear the meat from the bone. Kinda tough. hmmm.... I thought the trotters might fare better. Another alas, meat also leathery and tough. Not divine at all. If someone told me that the trotters had been served straight out from a can, I'd have believe him. Thank god, the salted veg is served with just the right texture and not too salty at all. But who come to a bak kut teh stall just to enjoy the veg. Thank god the soup was just right- if not the whole lunch would have been a downright disaster. So, reluctantly I have to give this stall just half a chopstick. A pity because this place would have been perfect to drop by after a trip to either 1-7 or shogun.

I tried Song Fa before. The pig's trotters was not hard at all leh and the braised intestine was nice too. Maybe it was not a good day for them when you went.

There was once we have dinner at that stall and we ordered a bowl of pig kidney soup. But, it was not well cooked as there was still blood, making the whole soup abit "red color". We inform the waiter, he brought it back, only to cooked it for only a few seconds and brought it back. Eventually, the pig kidney is only abit better than before, with abit of blood still visible.

Hi Uncle Baloo and All, i just came back from Founders and I must say I don't think it's that nice. There's way too much pepper in those soup. I thought I am suppose to taste the herbs and ingredients, but all i got is pepper. I personally think its a disappointment when i compare Balestier BKT with KL's. KL's BKT is full of herbs aroma, clear and refreshing.

Koh Samui, I need u...

there are two main types of bkt - the peppery type, and the herbal type

someone told me before that the peppery type is more common here in singapore, while the herbal type is more common in malaysia. can't be sure of the statement's accuracy as i seldom eat bkt one.

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

panda

there's pepper and there's pepper...

your not being aware of the 'pepper' style BKT going in there expecting herbal style would of course not find it nice.

Until you tried many pepper style and know the nuance of it, then perhaps you can coment that 'it's not nice' in the context of pepper style BKT.

missed the texture of the meat on the ribs for all the pepper din you? :)

did you try the trotters in dark soy sauce?

hmmm... all covered by the pepper leow ...

when we look at the soup, it's the depth of the taste, and the width of the aroma.

herbal i tried a lot too...many good ones on Joo chiat road...

but the meat is not the same... mostly overcooked... soup not bad tho...

Herbal type, I just knew one shop that is selling this this. It is located along Aliwal street or Sultan Gate. Cant really recall which street but it was near the main road facing the Concourse. Not sure it is nice as I still prefer the pepper type. As I found Founder was good enuf for me and the one at Tanjong Pagar Complex a little on the ex side. Another I had tried was at the Jurong East Market at Blk 354 if i remember correctly. The stall was run by an uncle with 2 aunties. It is the clearer soup type and 2 rows away frm this stall is another selling the darker soup base type. It is run by my friend's friend.

Uncle Baloo ah, i went into Founders with an open heart and mind hoping to taste a kick-ass bowl of BKT... so no expectation at all :) And i have tried many peppery style (another 2 stalls along Balestier and the legendary Rangoon Rd one), hence i made the comment. i didn't eat the trotters leh, me don't like... way way too fat ;)

Hey Steman, Thanks for the advice. Me will go and try them!

Koh Samui, I need u...

panda

to each their own, your opinions are noted.

no one forces food preference on another. thanks for sharing... so next time I go eat BKT, cannot call you leow...

trotters have lean meat one. you can order to have all lean meat...

• 1 month later...

Hi Uncle Baloo and All,

I finally gave BKT another try after my previous visit to the lousy "Founders" .... (hello Founders, there's more to BKT then just pepper!). This time round, i visited the famous Rangoon Rd BKT. Good thing me and bf arrived early, so parking was a breeze. We ordered 2 bowls of BKT, 1 bowl of peanuts, 1 bowl of you tiao and 1 bowl of mushrooms.

So, when i compare the BKT soup here with Founders, i immediately feel that Rangoon Rd won! hahah... Coz i can taste the herbs! But i still think they can cut back on the pepper and highlight the excellent strong herbal taste :)

Koh Samui, I need u...

Guest Skiny

Hi guys, I went to the BKT next to club17. I ordered the liver soup and noticed the liver is still quite bloody. Is this the normal standard of cooking? I scared of eating such half raw thing so I left much of the portion untouched. I will not go there for the same liver soup again if that is their way of serving liver.

Hi Skiny

liver should be eaten 'just cooked'... it should have the last of the blood oozing out, but the meat is turning from raw to cooked... it's quite difficult to ascertain how bloody is bloody as i'd seen some put superlatives to the cooked liver as living raw...

If you are not comfortable with it, you should bring it back to the guy to run more hot soup over it to cook it better. or order it 'WELL DONE'

the trick most use is to pour boiling soup over the meat to 'cook' it as it 'cools' the soup... haha... it works well too and the liver is not overcooked, and succulant... to me... initially too raw, just push the meat under the soup to cook it some more, and let the soup sit for a while to complete the cooking cycle. do note that cooking heat does not need to be boiling soup all the way. 100 degrees, 97, 96, 95, 94 degrees as it cools in the minute or two, more than enough time to thoroughly cook the meat.

you ever eat 'half boiled eggs' at coffee shops where they serve it in those big plastic mugs covered with 2 plates and ask you to wait 6-8 minutes before opening cover to crack the eggs? if you kept the cover on for 15 minutes, it becomes hard boiled egg :) or almost hard boiled...

take out faster - 5 minutes or less, it will be almost raw, with lots of transparant egg white, and uncooked yolk...

same principle.

let the soup cook the meat a bit more... it should be alright. but if the soup were cold... i would have serious issue with the vendor... :)

hope that helps

Hi Uncle Baloo and All,

I finally gave BKT another try after my previous visit to the lousy "Founders" .... (hello Founders, there's more to BKT then just pepper!). This time round, i visited the famous Rangoon Rd BKT. Good thing me and bf arrived early, so parking was a breeze. We ordered 2 bowls of BKT, 1 bowl of peanuts, 1 bowl of you tiao and 1 bowl of mushrooms.

So, when i compare the BKT soup here with Founders, i immediately feel that Rangoon Rd won! hahah... Coz i can taste the herbs! But i still think they can cut back on the pepper and highlight the excellent strong herbal taste :)

The Rangoon Road BKT is quite a famous one, and lots of towkays go there to meet for breakfast, bring their own tea even. The standards have dropped quite a bit over the years, in my opinion... but looks like it found a new customer in you.

Like I reiterated, preference is personal, and we can only recommend what we like, not what you like :) -- that would be impossible.

Herbal BKT pls go to Joo Chiat Road to try out the one nearest the East Coast Road junction. quite good.

Ha Uncle Baloo... finally u came in :P

By the way, the visit to Rangoon is not my 1st time and i agree with you, the food and service standard did dropped over the years. What's with those aunty waitresses?! Come on man... i didn't owe u a living... FU...

I'm not big on BKT, so no hurry for me to try out new ones so soon... but i do hope to drop by Peach Garden soon for another round of Dim Sum!!! Now that oughta clear those lousy BKT outings... :D

Koh Samui, I need u...

Just went to Founders tonite for late dinner... crowded as usual, but not a long wait as it was already 9 pm.

The order was for big ribs soup, a bowl of garlic, chai bueh, and rice.

the rib was a little scrawny this time... not the usual huge chunk... maybe it's thebottom of the ribs rack... taste, still good, and with black sauce and fresh cut red chilli... and garlic... with rice and soup... it was a great meal...

one bite of the meat, one piece of cut chilli, one bulb of garlic (peeled), one bit of chai bueh, rice all being chewed in my mouth... and soup ... that hot hot, spicy soup...

had to ask for refill of soup twice... :) it was so shiok and so sedap....

but must point out... towards the end, it felt that the soup seemed a little bit watered down ... not as thick, and not as strong... I told the boss discreetly... dun let the standard drop... many new bak kut teh shops around... yours is best, if you drop standard, you lose customers,...

hope he understands my feedback and advice...

• 3 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.