Male HQ

Nasi Lemak

To my knowledge, there are 4 main places/name brands for nasi lemak that are quite famous:

(a) Chong Pang Nasi Lemak

(b) Punggol Nasi Lemak

© Fong Seng Nasi Lemak

(d) Changi Village Nasi Lemak

of these, only Changi Village is a small stall operated by Malay. the rest are halal certified Chinese owned outfits.

of these four, I like the Changi Village nasi lemak for their moist rice and chilli. the fried chicken is too fried... and can hurt your teeth...

Chong Pang's Nasi Lemak is so sedap, but the chilli is a tad on the salty side.

Punggol Nasi Lemak is also salty on the chilli.

Fong Seng's chilli is totally shiok if you can tahan the eventual superhot buildup...

I hate the perpetual queue at Changi Village stall... but its something for first timers there... no problem identifying THE correct stall as in that asile, there are about 5 to 6 stalls that sell nasi lemak in thier menu. and quite frankly, all the nasi lemak there taste about the same... except for the rice being nicer a THE right one... all same price too... $2.00 unless they raised it recently. this is the undisputed price champion here... the other three will cost you more...

Punggol Nasi Lemak has a parking problem... Upper Serangoon road being so busy all the time... but if you are there, find a space to park, it's worth tasting for yourself... one of the nasi lemak benchmarks here...

If i had to chose between Chong Pang and Fong Seng, I'd go for Fong Seng... for the chilli sauce and wider range of choices of what you want in your nasi lemak...

Those purists - who want traditional ingredients on their nasi lemak should also try the packets at these shops... they are nice to packet home when in a hurry... nicer if freshly packed... of course, you can get it at the shops on a plate as well...

but in the final analysis.. any of these nasi lemak places are champs... you do not have to go across the island for it... so conveniently located...

Chong Pang in the North, on Sembawang Road

Changi Village in the East

Punggol Nasi Lemak in the North East

Fong Seng in the South West...

not bad...

any in the west? How about central area?

I have to agree that the nasi lemak mentioned were nice,

1. Changi Village,

2. Adam Road,

3. Chong Pang,

4. Punggol,

5. Fong Seng (not sure the standard had drop as I had eaten a few times before and found it to be nice but on a separate ocassion when i went there for lunch, the food was horrendously difficult to eat? It could be that the food is best eaten hot and warm but what I had tasted was cold, not as tasty as before. I guess it could be that the food had been left cold since morning.)

6. Tanjong Pagar market, the stall that is run by an old couple. Have you guys seen the drumstick and chicken wings? Yummy.....but sad to say their business is so good that if you go there after 1pm, most likely they are in the midst of packing the stall for home.

Just some stalls that I heard and went to for a meal.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you sure that Chong Pang Nasi Lemak is halal? I don't see their halal certs indicated even on their website. Kindly advise. Thanks.

To my knowledge, there are 4 main places/name brands for nasi lemak that are quite famous:

(b) Punggol Nasi Lemak

© Fong Seng Nasi Lemak

==========

========

any in the west? How about central area?

=====================

Don't be lazy, Suzy. You don't have to quote the whole passage.

Gachi

• 4 weeks later...

(b) Punggol Nasi Lemak

© Fong Seng Nasi Lemak

of these, only Changi Village is a small stall operated by Malay. the rest are halal certified Chinese owned outfits.... ... ... ...

Punggol Nasi Lemak is definitely NOT halal...

They have Ngoh Niang (minced pork with prawn rolled in beancurd skin).

Chong Pang Nasi Lemak is also NOT halal. Don't know about Fong Seng....

For Halal Nasi Lemak, go to the stalls at Adam Road Food Centre.

Both Selera Rasa Nasi Lemak and No 1 Adam's Nasi Lemak are equally good.

Punggol Nasi Lemak has a parking problem... Upper Serangoon road being so busy all the time... but if you are there, find a space to park, it's worth tasting for yourself... one of the nasi lemak benchmarks here...

... ... ... ...

If you are talking about the Upper Serangoon Road branch, there is a open parking space just opposite.

Many people are just pure lazy and park illegally along the road.

For those not driving, take a train to Kovan Station (NEL) and it just a mere few minutes walk from there.

They also have their main branch at Serangoon Garden.

And also another branch along Tg Katong Road.

PS: Suzy.... you may wish to edit your quote rather than just quoting the whole chunk! (No offence, pls)

Edited by jazz

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.