Male HQ

Durian Season Is Here Again... Yippie!

OK, so there's durians for sale 12 months a year now... but the true durian season starts this week... for the purists anyway...

If you manage to get the 'traditional' season durian farm supplies (this shud be increasingly more difficult to find as most will replant in stages to have more fruits more of the time through GM*)

I have tasted the 'GM' durians... no fight against the real things man... no fight at all...

the depth and breath of the 'genuine' twice a year fruit ... especially of pedigree variety... is out of this world...

those who know where to buy, pls share your tots about them... no... dun divulge openly... hahaha... selfish me... pm me maybe i tell you where to get... or if you already know, no need to pm me leow... alternatively, we can get together, and pool some money, i go get a basket of it and we have a durian fest somewhere... heh heh... followed by XO drinking... yar...... ok... kidding... dun try ok? can die one...

<_<

*GM is for Genetically Modified, not Gachi Muchi...

Edited by Baloo

Organic would mean the soil and fertilisers are naturally occurring... but the durian seed may still be GM...

My meaning above is that the durians that are of this season, are from trees/seeds NOT genetically modified... i.e. a true durian tree only bears fruit after 10 years, and only bears fruit twice a year after that at most.

GM durian seeds bear fruit in 3 years, and bears fruit at least 4 times a year... or more... and some are even GM to blend the tastes of the Sultan with the Segamat type, etc to get a huge fleshy meat, very small seed, yet bitter but yellow... you know... 'improved' variety...

except that, in most cases, when put beside the real macoy (dunno how real is real, but claimed sampah durian/from reputable farms not GMed seeds) I can taste the depth and breath of the fruit... the taste is absolutely astoundingly good...

ok, my opinion only...

again this is not science... it's the taste bud of an individual... if you say can't taste the difference, good for you, you can enjoy durians 12 months a year...

me sadly can only truely enjoy once a year... and only for about 9 weeks or so... from this week. thanks to my so ngiao tongue and taste... actually come to think of it... is it a blessing? I would have weighed 400 kg if i could eat this type of durian year round......

*phew*

:whistle:

• 1 month later...

personally, i do not think so...

I think the 666 is nearer to the butter texture...

mao shan wang is 'district' in malaysia... i think... i stand to be corrected...

so many 'varieties' created by man...

XO, 666, etc...

even sultan and red-shrimp has been 'cross breeded'

my personal favourite is the XO and Sultan... red shrimp is also very yummy if the fruit is in AAA quality...

some fruits, have smell, and is ripe... but has NO TASTE...

what i like in durians is the DEPTH of the fragrance and taste it gives to your palette...and how deeply it goes...

ok those who have no idea what i mean... is ok... it will take too long to explain anyway... :)

just enjoy your durian!

:thumb:

Guest FreeDurian

Ok, for those who are hard-up for fresh and free durians, I mean fresh from the tree......wait no more. There is one durian tree beside a rambutan tree opposite Yishun Stadium.......That day I saw Ah Gong and Ah Ma waiting below the tree with fruitful of fallen durians after the rain :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Is Mao San Wang a GM durian? or a Natural one like D24?

and why is the price of mao san wang so wide - from $8 a kg to $18 per kg??

yes, it is damn good... the $8 per kg one I tried... every seed is small, the taste is intense, and lingering, and stays in your pee for 2 days...

I tried somt $12 per kg... there were a few that the seeds were a lot bigger... kena chop carrot??

sigh... durian is like dat one... no guarantee la... the taste is however, very very good... where msw is concerned... damn i can get supremely addicted...

time to go for the D24 leow... fuller, and cheeper hahaha... and tastes as intense...

anyone know where to get BITTER BITTER durians? or what is your favourite BITTER variety? D13? 666?

now got new blend... GOLDEN PHOENIX???? what the hell is that??

last time got Golden Pillow... damn... if i pillow that durian i dun think i ever wake up... die leow.. hahaha... but seriously, can anyone help in the BITTER DURIAN category?

I could not take it anymore. Stopped at Aljunied on my way home,

went to the first durian stall, and there it was...

Mao Shang Wang (Cat Mountain King, literal translation) at $12 per kg.

They also had Lao Shu (Old Tree) at $8 per kg.

Yes I bought. Yes I am very happy now :)

There's a fruits fair at Hougang's Kovan Mall...

The Mao Shan Wang there $12 per kilo... is very very good. They also have loads of $1 per durian for those bargain hunters.

Actually I dun mind going for the $1 durians, except you will have to open them yourself... they just pack and u go... $1 only what you expect? dun even try to ask them open for you... the dirty look is quite powerful hahaha...\

For the mao shan wang, of course they will open and even pack for you... very very good...

Price should drop a bit ba... it's a huge bumper crop this year, and now is PEAK durian season...

i heard that this year, there is an overstock of durians. too many durian, too little demands, so the price have dropped.

the other day, a colleague came to office, saying her area is selling durings at $0.20 EACH! of cos they were the small ones... but all were surprised at the price tag. haha she's staying in CCK by the way.

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

This is not about good durians, but related...

This is about stalls and owners who hire CHINAMAN to be durian sellers...

I couldn't believe it...

have these people ever opened a durian before in their entire lives??? anyone bother to show them how it's done?

or let their creativity flow... can open can leow??

chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop with their axe/cleaver turned durian opener...

whatever happened to one insert, twist, and pull apart?

better still... after 30 strokes of chopping, still can't open the bloody thing properly... it's no longer called a durian by this time...

I was trying so hard not to laugh... I think i busted a gut...

How do I know he's a CHINAMAN??? if you have to ask that question, you are quite there leow - need to start observing the world around you.

Just had another round of durians for dinner...

$5 per durian... not bad... from Segamat? not sure... but the meat was thick, seeds were small, but taste not as intense as the $12 per kg catHill king...

still, for $10 bucks, huge slabs of durians... good taste, good texture (soft and moist) I would rate it a B durian... good enough for tight budgets!

this time, local durian seller. 2 chops, each side... twist the blade, open up and split with hands... nice... very nice...

This is one of the best durians I tasted... for $13 bucks...

Photo_073108_002.jpg

just count the number of durian seeds in this baby...

not just quantity...

the meat is moist, firm, BITTER-sweet, and the breadth and depth of the taste... just incredible...

• 3 weeks later...

there's this 'variety' called 'Super'...

white meat... and damn poisonous...

can get as low as $6 per kg... but most selling at $8-$10 per kg...

the durian husk is SO THIN... and the meats are SO THICK... the husk can hold half a cup of water easily on one side... deep and wide...

and the taste... pure poison...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link to 'free' fruits...

Actually, they are not really 'free' and belongs to NParks officially.

If the public is allowed to pick the fruits, i would think that there is public responsibility not to harm the trees bearing fruits...

I know for a fact that durian trees get nudged by lots of lorries and pickups to encourage the fruits to fall...

and others use poles etc to poke at the tree's limbs to get other types of fruit to fall - damaging the trees in the process.

It's like plucking the feathers off the goose that lay golden eggs...

Personally, I have eaten these fruits. some were totally yummy, the rest were 'normal' or even tasteless...

We are also all busy people trying to earn a living... only those retired and really got nothing better to do will go wait for durians to fall and fruits to ripen and pluck. I prefer to get my fruits from the best sources, and pay for them... at least, if not nice, can complain and change another fruit.

but that's just me.

///

The official Durian Season is almost over... time to eat one more round... den no more leow...

*sigh* went to my favourite durian seller... his stall was dark and empty... at 7pm... I think his season of fresh durians over leow...

still have craving tho... how man... go one round of the GM type ba

Edited by Baloo

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.