Male HQ

Lunch Time Fish Head Curry & Petai Beans

This is my favourite lunch spot off and on... when there is a need to have a fish-head curry for lunch... or passingby, fish meat curry, and sambal petai beans... among other nice dishes...

Blk 212, Lor 8 Toa Payoh just behind the Market/Food Centre, and next to the First Payoh Pr Sch...

Lunch time crowd is large... so be there early else you have to wait for your seats, and by 1.30pm, chances are the petai beans in sambal is sold out... fish curry still have la... other dishes oso still have, but sambal petai... habis...

Some of the helpers of the stall are foreigners - indonesian chinese? maybe myanmese?? never got to know them, but gosh... you eat curry, you look at hot dishes too... if you are into these delicious specimens... heh heh...

but do go for the curry fish head... it's definitely worth your money... and petai... my favourite bean... in prawn sambal of course...

Edited by Baloo

Baloo, I believe the correct spelling for those beans you mentioned is petai. The dish is simply named sambal petai.(Pat Thai sounds very Thai to me :)) It's a classic Malay dish with petai beans, sambal and anchovies.

I am actually impressed that you're into petai. Not many people can stomach the taste. I'm ok with it...but I'll take more of the anchovies and sambal whenever I'm served the dish.

One final note about petai...it's known to produce smelly gas...so please watch where you are before you decide to go nuclear after eating it. :)

Better the Devil you know than the Angel you don't...

I stand corrected on the Petai beans... spelling of it.

Yes I know the after effects of eating this ... been eating it for years... haha...

and i love the smell after that... it's even in your pee...

this bean is almost a miricle bean that it can help lower blood pressure and cleanses the blood, liver and kidney... i maynot remember all the details nor remember it correctly even... but there is only good effects from this bean, and the only 'not so good effect' is the powerful smell of it from your gas, your pee and your sheeet... but that's just a sign of it working...

almost as powerful as a good durian... hahaha...

the bitter taste is acquired... and once you like it... damn... you won't ever get enough of it...

I always go into JB to eat this... for supper... one order of sambal patei in the ikan bakar stall, and optional stingray, if not, just the petai sambal... and one or two bowls of rice... phew... eat until sweat sweat...

:thumb:

• 1 month later...
and i love the smell after that... it's even in your pee...

this bean is almost a miricle bean that it can help lower blood pressure and cleanses the blood, liver and kidney... i maynot remember all the details nor remember it correctly even... but there is only good effects from this bean, and the only 'not so good effect' is the powerful smell of it from your gas, your pee and your sheeet... but that's just a sign of it working...

Balo...that is my favourite. My mum used to cook petai with chilli and dry small shrimp for or family. It is true that it will help to lower blood pressure....yummy

Edited by mature30

• 5 months later...
Guest - Oracle -

I was at Ocean Foish Head Curry (Blk 212 Toa Payoh)

I find that a disappointment. I ordered the $32 and its not exactly a generous portion.

If you like, try going to Serangoon Gdn Way 9Pow Sing Chicken Rice Restaurant) and go for their ish Head Curry. For $30, you get a very nice serving for piping hot fish head curry, in a nice big claypot.

Rice is unlimited flow for 80 cets per head.

ice water ? Free too.

nice place in Serangoon Garden Way... but very out-of-the-way for Lunch Time rush for the likes of me who works where he can take the Expressway to TPY and park easily, and eat lunch... and go back to work just as easily via easy access to the Expressways...

If i try going to SGW during my lunch hour... before reach there need to U-turn back to office leow... even if you get there quick, parking is positively a nightmare... but I tell you this: I will make time to go there to give it a try one of these days when i got half day leave or something... i.e. leave office no need go back leow... I will go test, and give my opinions there...

the Ocean Sky not generous meh?? Did you ask for more curry? usually if you can finish the original curry serving and still got fish, they will top up the curry... no question asked...

I wonder if you felt the original serving was 'not generous'... curry cold already not nice...

• 3 years later...

There been changes to the place... No more Petai ... I think under new management after the renovation some time back...

Lunch on Tuesday 14 May 12.30pm ok? Whoever see this welcome to join in...

I'm not difficult to spot... Big fat guy... ;-)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.