Male HQ

Restaurants That Do Not Serve Tap Water In Singapore

Finally there is an objective report on this practice which I find strange in Singapore. Some restaurants refuse to serve just plain tap water but insist that you buy their bottled water. I usually do not visit these restaurants again. Tap water here is safe for drinking and this practice is environmentally friendly.

The customer should always have a choice; esp where there is already a 10% service charge, a little courtesy of serving a "welcome" glass of water or tea (as in Japan, HK and China which generally do not have service charge nor expect tips whether posh or modest) when the diner sits down is a nice gesture.

http://www.soshiok.com/articles/9724 This article appeared in the Sunday Times 8 June 08.

There is a list in this article of the restaurants practising this, and I can recall other restaurants which I visited some time back and never returned because of this practice: Boon Tong Kee Chicken Rice at Balester Rd and Boss at Vivocity; and surprisingly, a little Thai restaurant in Jalan Pemimpin. I have hardly ever come across this practice in several countries that I visited unless their tap water is not potable.

As I dine out very often, it was good to see that list so I can make an informed decision before going to try a particular restaurant. I hope they update and expand this list on such websites.

As a side issue, a hawker stall in the newly re-opened Balestier Market wanted to charge extra for the foam box when we wanted to buy takeaway Noodles which he already was charging $4.00! We told him he could keep his noodles and the box.

Guest Guest

Thanks for the nice article and link but I do seriously feel it's kind of childish to boycott an eating establishment just cos they dont serve you free water. You mentioned Boon Tong Kee Chicken Rice at Balester Rd and I do patronise this stall quite often. It would be waste to miss out on their delicious food just because of the above issule. For me I just order the meal and it comes with soup, so I dont need to order any drink. :lol: If I am really thristy, I will exercise self control. After the meal, I will casually stroll over to NTUC or 7-11 to get that bottle of water.

Its the principle of it all. I am not spending my money on these places. There are other plenty of other good chicken rice places out there that serves free tap water. Plastic'ed water is a rip off by beverage companies who make tons of money putting packaging over cheap and readily available water. Bottled water is a necessity for cities in Shanghai where the tap water tastes like NeWater + Lead fillings but not so in our first world country.

What next? Will restaurants charge for use of their utensils? Or charge same prices for dining in and takeaway?

Edited by TopChinese

I cannot agree with the arguement.... sorry...

If it's complementary, fine and good...

If it's not complimentary, you want to have a drink at that establishment, you pay for it...

Imagine if it's your own business... and you have a fridge full of bottled beverages, and all your customers want to drink free tap water... who gonna do business like dat?

Tap water is not free... they have to get ice to chill it down... they have to have ice maker, somebody to serve it, clean the cups, etc...

If the cost is factored into the price of the dining bill, that's something a business will do.

There are those business that do not factor frills into the bill as a means to offer the best price/lowest cost to the customer... and a glass of water will be charged 10 cents? or only sell bottled water...

Some higher end restaurants also do not 'offer' water to their customers although they do serve it on request foc... when you ask them for water they will ask if you wanter Perrier, or some other nice bottled water ... not the plastic bottle hor... glass botles... and naturally efferversent no less haha... high class water...

no they do not serve new water or any plastic bottled water there... sorry...

I'm gonna be really blunt and put it to the 'free water people' it's free at the toilet... go there to get dudes! bring your water bottle... fill up 2 litres at a go...

as to the 'take away' addition of 20 cents for the container... really suggest you do some research on the rent of these places... after renovation, or at some aircon food court, or in the CBD... the rent of the hawker stall is astronomical... $4 is norm for a lot of places leow... you can still find $2.50 or even $2.00 pls go there forever to eat and dun compare leow...

moreover, it's clearly stated at the price menu that all takeaway a 20Cents extra will be charged for the container (which, by the way seems to be microwave safe)... even styrofoam types, nope not microwave safe, still incur cost, and hence they just pass the cost to you... ok 20cents for styrofoam container is a bit much... but hey, you can always NOT order...

but to order leow but discover later becos you did not see the price menu... and reject on the 'principle' ground is really chow kuan in my books... so do be ware of what you are doing out there... principle is one thing. poor discipline enforcing your principle is really not gonna cut any cheese... you check the price before you buy, and make sure you ask if any extra charges to 'take away' before you order... assuming is not the way to later 'enforce' your principle... sorry...

The reality is that food prices are driven up by rent, and cost of thier ingredients, rice, etc... If you do the math, you will realise it's very very difficult for hawker operators now... and they wont' absorb the cost anymore... they will just pass to the consumer lor. unfortunately some of them just profiteering also la... those we hammer... but must see... can they just charge you 5 cents extra to tapau??or minimum 10 cents as a 'reasonable amount'? or 3.82 cents if it works out to the cost, minus storage space cost? haha...

Gone are the days of $50-$200 per month rent per stall and almost free utilities... that was for the 60s and 70s and even 80s... it's almost 2010 now... do keep up with the prices for food ok?? some prime places are charging $9,000 per month ... and that does not include utilities... you know how many servings at what price to charge to break even for rent alone? how about ingredients? utilities? after that how much you wanna take home per month?? now you know how to charge?

for places like BTK in a whole shophouse... they got how many manpower doing cooking, washing, serving? no need to pay salaries??? haha... chicken rice expensive dun eat there lor... go for the one-two-man show at the hawker centre la... much cheeper... but they won't be offering you any free water tho... :)

if you think food is expensive, and NOT NICE, den go elsewhere... we have to do this because it's the only way to tell the hawkers to buck up or go bust.

but to avoid them becos no free water... hmmm... the mentality of the person really does come into question... yes it's principle... but i will propose strongly that the principle itself is flawed...

This is not to start no war in here... we can agree to disagree - you go ahead and stick to your princlples... I will just to toilet to drink from the tap if i really that in need for free water... i do not think anyone will stop you from filling up your water bottle there either...

happy drinking (free water)...

Edited by Baloo

the topic is on plain/tap water.

not 'drinks' you can byo wines/liquer... but there will be a corkage charge and they will tell you before you open your bottle.

i do not think you can byo beer, soft drink into a restaurant to drink

but plain water in a personal water bottle... no one stopped before... as a courtesy... but if you are dressed for dinner, it would be interesting to see you carry a waterbottle into the place, much less drink from it.

homelyman: yes, from the business point of view. and if all customers boycott becos of no free water, and forgo the food which is very nice, and good ambiance, and good service, and clean utensils... den... the business deserves to crash... on account of no free water... but of course, business decisions are easy to move... we serve you free water lor... but we will calculate the cost into the bill - e.g. Peanuts, and towels will now be peanuts, towel (and in invisible ink: plain water)... and up the price by one dollar per head... say from $2 to $3... and you dun wan towels, it's 50 cents discount per head... or no such choice.. must pay one...

it's a restaurant... everything is chargable... and their policy not to serve free water but sell bottled water is not uncommon in first world countries... or are we NOT there yet?

the fact that many are still serving free complimentary water (becos our water is so purified - read so chlorinated - as to be drinkable from the tap) may change to cut costs in the future and we go to bottled water for drinking, or need home filtration as our government decides that the 'drinkable' tap water is such a waste as most people use it to bathe, wash car, and flush toilet anyway... it could happen... oh, charge drinking water when that happen rite? heh... well... it's a business decision... and i for one support it, even though i am not in the restaurant business...

provide free water, with a twist of lemon in the jug... and ice.... but charge you for it indirectly... and you be happy... why not?

and there we are crying for more transparancey and eliminating hidden charges... which way do you want it?

i also won't boycott a restaurant if it does not serve plain water. at most, don't order drinks la. i find the quality of food and service staff more important than whether the restaurant serves water or not.

however, if the water served are charged too high like $10, then i will cow-beh and boycott haha.

If you look at the bill carefully at some restaurants, they will have a category called 'cha-shui' i.e. tea and water.. $2.50 per head...

they will keep on serving it as long as you don't stop them after you ordered whatever tea (chinese tea blends) or plain warm water...

a group of 4 for dim sum will be paying $10 for tea and water in the total bill... for sure you will get your water...

<_<

If you look at the bill carefully at some restaurants, they will have a category called 'cha-shui' i.e. tea and water.. $2.50 per head...

they will keep on serving it as long as you don't stop them after you ordered whatever tea (chinese tea blends) or plain warm water...

a group of 4 for dim sum will be paying $10 for tea and water in the total bill... for sure you will get your water...

<_<

It is justify for F&B oultet charging a flat rate "cha shui" of $2 for free flow of tea(including sky juice) especially Chinese restaurant which operating tim-sum buffet during lunch time and wedding banquet during evening.In order to achieve sales target ,most of the restaurants slash prices/promoting for its buffet to lure customer to step into the outlet to dine as they identify beverage could help to generate of sales.

I dun mind pay for the such $2 charges rather than buying other drinks which you could be charge as high as $5 and above.Anyway...No big deal .

:thumb:

Edited by mature30

• 2 months later...

it's a restaurant... everything is chargable... and their policy not to serve free water but sell bottled water is not uncommon in first world countries... or are we NOT there yet?

Strongly agreeded with that!!! If someone who really in F&B/Catering Trade, they will undertand that the main incomes/profits are from beverages and not really on food!!!!

Water is not Free from the tap... the establishment has to pay the water bill.

I always advice my friends/family that if they can't afford to pay a drink in a restaurant, they should get their drink after meal somewhere esle or the best part of all... STAY AT HOME!!!! :P

By the way, most restaurants in UK do not serve Tap Water as first drink!!!

Edited by Walfred

Letting go is an art of love and kindness to oneself :)

i think the issue is not that restaurants charge for bottled water; rather that they charge for tap. or in extreme situations not offering tap water. i'm not against charging for water actually; i just think that restaurants are doing themselves a disservice when they don't offer tap as a choice. push your expensive bottled water if you want, but don't deny me tap which you definitely will have.

in any case, i've never been declined tap water when i eat overseas. ever. and i've eaten in various restaurants in europe and asia. in fact, waiters in the top establishments bring you une carafe d'eau without even batting an eyelid.

moreover, it is interesting to note that most restaurants in singapore that do not serve tap water are not the top-end/high-mid-range establishments, but rather the lower-mid-range outfits. just something to think about.

Edited by akated

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

moreover, it is interesting to note that most restaurants in singapore that do not serve tap water are not the top-end/high-mid-range establishments, but rather the lower-mid-range outfits. just something to think about.

Well said... not the top-end/high-mid-range establishments!!!! Compare the price of a plate of Hainanese Chicken in a hotel and in a hainanese chicken rice restaurant then... The difference is so great. Therefore, the top-end and high-mid-range could able to affort to provide Tap Water (some will called Sky Juice or Table Water to make themselves feel good)!!!

I respect each individual of their choice... you deserve the right to choose which restaurant to eat.... Dun forget, the establishment has their right and choose not to serve you!!!

Dun XXXX about the establishment bah... is a hard work in F&B Trade. IF you cannot affort a drink in a restaurant.. Stay at home, cook your own dinner and drink as much Tap Water as you want.

Edited by Walfred

Letting go is an art of love and kindness to oneself :)

hmmm actually i think you're taking my words slightly out of context. i don't mean to say that because high-end restaurants charge higher prices for food, thus they can afford to serve tap water for free.

high-end restaurants charge higher prices, but their overheads are also higher. moreover, some mid-range places seriously overcharge for the quality of food put out. so it's not as clear cut a scenario as "because high-end places charge more for food thus they can afford to not charge for water".

as i mentioned, i don't think i've ever been charged for water overseas. this includes top-end restaurants, mid-class bistros and hole-in-the-wall eateries.

and i've never heard the term sky juice being used in restaurants... that sounds a bit... gross. lol :D

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

in any case, if a restaurant i go to for the first time tells me they do not serve table water, I would just accept it and order food and beverage anyway.

if the food is good, and the drinks served are good, i will have no gripe about water...

here's my beef... are you there for the service and quality of food? if yes, free water does not count on most foodie's checklist.

Personally, elsewhere on planet earth in other countries, the tap water is not really drinkable as they do not go tru our Singaporean eager-beaver clean until world class high end chlorinated chemicalised water. so they sell bottled, drinkable water.

Those who really travel, even to singapore will insist on having bottled water even if we reassure them that our tap water is certified 'safe to drink'

only the born and bred locals who do not know that they can die drinking tap water from around the world will want to drink tap water... USA included. sometimes it's not even the water... it's the water pipes which could be many decades old, and scummy on the inside, etc.

If i were at a 'high end restaurant' i would ask for their bottled efferversant water even if they do serve tap water with a twist of lemon in it... (you will be surprised the brand is NOT Perrier) and the water tastes good because it does not have so much chlorine in it as our local tap water.

- and pay for it. and it will NOT be the only beverage I will be ordering... prolly will include a bottle of wine for the food.

if someone is going to bitch about whether they get free tap water or not, please... go to the washroom and drink from the tap.

if there is insufficient budget to dine at a particular restaurant if drink cost is to be factored in, you prolly shud not go there in the first place. No offence to the threadstarter or anyone else. I am just making a point.

heh. i do agree that bottled water (whether sparkling or still) does taste "cleaner" than that from tap. the difference is very slight though, and probably wouldn't matter if you are not eating something delicate. for example, if you are having indian food, i think you'd be wasting that expensive bottle of water. lol. it makes sense with japanese food, i guess; then again, you'd be drinking ocha instead of water, so...

actually, i don't think many singapore restaurants that serve bottled water serve perrier. i usually see panna (for still) and pellegrino (for sparkling) around, seeing that they are quite aggressive in their marketing.

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.