Male HQ

Buying BTO Vs 3-Room HDB Discussion (Compiled)

Guest Gay housewife.
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Who will buy 2nd hand 2 room flat, even so I doubt it'll fetch a good price, unless the location is superb?

2 room no value.  Small kitchen if you love to cook like me,  a stay home housewife. 

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Who will buy 2nd hand 2 room flat, even so I doubt it'll fetch a good price, unless the location is superb?

Very limited target market when u want to sell. 

10 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Don't buy.

Migrate. 

Still must buy,  after meet minimum occupation period, rent out then migrate. 

Whatever your decision,  once u buy a resale with grants,  u will never be allowed to buy a bto. 

Guest 2nd Chance
1 hour ago, lonelyglobe said:

Whatever your decision,  once u buy a resale with grants,  u will never be allowed to buy a bto. 

I think got lah, got 2nd Chance. 

Grant aside i understand that everyone is entitled to bto twice? 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest 淑女公主

I bought condo no grant. Can i buy bto? I notice bto is about 100k cheaper than re-sale aka hdb direct give me 100k angpao money + grant 80k i total can pocket $180k angpao money huat!

10 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Nope,  bto is for first timer only,  as long as u got a grant before,  u r not a first-timer and not allowed to buy. I tried before :)

10 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Npe,  bto is for first timer only,  as long as u got a grant before,  u r not a first-timer and not allowed to buy. I tried before :)

I thought single who buy 3 room resale with single grant is entitle to apply 2 room BTO direct from hdb? 

16 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Just waste the application fee, try and update us :)

How old is your information?

I heard mine from a property agent about a trip back I.e. those who have bought resale and taken grant b4 are still entitled to buy bto twice albeit with no more grant given.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

5 years back I tried it and just few months back my friend went hdb to confirm.....u can't really trust what an agent says, they just want the best for themselves,  like what I say, someone can try apply and update us on the latest changes if any.  I shall rest my case here. 

Edited by lonelyglobe

Personally I would not buy those old 3-room flat (before BTO era) because of design considerations:

1) Windows facing corridor - no privacy. Going to/from your unit, also neighbor can beo easily

2) Rubbish chute in unit 

3) Half height windows. Unit quite dark.

4) Awful toilet with exposed pipes (although can reno and conceal to certain extent)

5) Narrow main door entrance

6) Lift is so small.

7) Common corridor is so narrow.

There are so many of these in central locations. How I wish garmen just demolish and build new ones, instead of smlj VERS. Just me :shhh:

On 1/4/2020 at 8:20 PM, fab said:

Whichever within your budget.

Don't become a mortgage slave.

Not necessarily true. Property can be a form of investment as well. So, it can be just money borrowed to earn more money. It depends on your own perspective.  

Guest Lo Li Lo Soh
32 minutes ago, Latte said:

Personally I would not buy those old 3-room flat (before BTO era) because of design considerations:

1) Windows facing corridor - n

Actually hor,  I heard from Feng Shui hor,  that door facing corridor (aka facing front scenaries) are better than door facing each other (new flat).  If your neighbour energy is bad, it will flow into your house like ping pong ball to n fro.   Door facing away from neighbour door no such problem, as long as you choose good facing direction with a good view.  My door facing corridor in old flat, but I have lower and upper sliding window and constantly kept the lower sliding window locked for privacy reason.  Upper sliding window is always opened to receive fresh air.  Actually hor, no complain for me.  my old 3-room flat which I bought YEARS AND YEARS ago, is so much cheaper than the current 2-room BTO.  I benefited, so no complain lor.  At least, got big store room and 1 common room for me to play with. Kitchen also quite big for me to store my utensils and spruced up with seasonal decor.  Ya, I agree with you that new BTO got bigger window and brighter,  but when you  get something, you will also miss something - the trade off effect.   Though old flat can be dark, but you can play with the lights to make it feel cozy and conducive..  Take ikea for EXAMPLE,  ikea warehouse has no windows in its display gallery, but it still feels very cozy because the designers are capable of playing with the lightings - you get the picture right?     No space you cannot add space,  no light you can add light...you decide lor.   Besides, too much sunlight into the room comes with bad radiation, bad for my smooth skin.   Ooooh...don't get me started on having two toilets too, whereas 2-room BTO don't have leh...if one toilet break down, you have to borrow lor.   So,  I am happy with old 3-room flat and many Singapore celeibrities LOVE staying in old town and old house because it has the space and privacy.   Did I miss out anything?

Guest Lo Li Lo Soh (Part 2)
59 minutes ago, Latte said:

1) Windows facing corridor - no privacy. Going to/from your unit, also neighbor can beo easily

2) Rubbish chute in unit 

4) Awful toilet with exposed pipes (although can reno and conceal to certain extent)

6) Lift is so small.

There are so many of these in central locations. How I wish garmen just demolish and build new ones, instead of smlj VERS. Just me :shhh:

No leh,  after HIP, all pipes are renewed and look nice.   Rubbish chute in the unit also renewed thru HIP.  Don't have to keep opening your door just to throw your rubbish or store them smelly until they are full before you step out of your door to throw them.  Having Rubbish chute in the unit save all the trouble.  2-room BTO, laundry airing sucks.  You cannot have proper hanging place to dry your cloth and the moldy smells can be quite "pleasant".  Old 3-room have all the laundry space you need, and your cloth get dried instantly with sufficient sunlight throwing into your bamboo pole holders.  Wereas 2-room BTO, saw people hanging their laundry on the window, like singing Mari Kita liddat.   OK, ended my part 2 - old 3 room vs new BTO.

Anyone need part 3?  Better not, otherwise 2 room BTO no value and not saleable.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Not necessarily true. Property can be a form of investment as well. So, it can be just money borrowed to earn more money. It depends on your own perspective.  

It is an investment provided if he can service the monthly mortgage loan.

Obviously property is an asset.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

13 minutes ago, fab said:

Property is an asset but doesn't guaranteed you will earn when you sell. Example if you bought an old resale flat at $400k and by the time when you sell off your flat, the flat should be even older, confirmed cannot fetch higher than $400k and can only sell $300k plus, so consider lose money. Unless you got rent out your room or entire flat, then maybe still can recoup back some losses. 

Property only can consider a good asset if you buy in low price and then sell off high price. Like those who bought at $200k and then sell off at $300k-$400K or even higher.

1 minute ago, Guest guest said:

Property is an asset but doesn't guaranteed you will earn when you sell. Example if you bought an old resale flat at $400k and by the time when you sell off your flat, the flat should be even older, confirmed cannot fetch higher than $400k and can only sell $300k plus, so consider lose money. Unless you got rent out your room or entire flat, then maybe still can recoup back some losses. 

Property only can consider a good asset if you buy in low price and then sell off high price. Like those who bought at $200k and then sell off at $300k-$400K or even higher.

Exactly. 

Hence I advised him to buy within his means.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

1 hour ago, Latte said:

2) Rubbish chute in unit 

6) Lift is so small.

Even though majority old 3 room flat is corridor unit, but still able to find corner unit. If you are really very particular of corridor unit, then can wait for those corner unit sell then buy, but this might take a very long time since not many owners are selling corner unit.

Just now, fab said:

Exactly. 

Hence I advised him to buy within his means.

Buy within his means also doesn't mean he would buy a good property. Imagine he bought a flat within his means but like what i have said, when he sells off lose money. Many 3 room flat built in the 70s, you can buy them at $200k plus, which i think many still buy within their means. But if they intend to sell off the flat in future, think the flat price will drop to $200k or even lower.

1 minute ago, Guest guest said:

Buy within his means also doesn't mean he would buy a good property. Imagine he bought a flat within his means but like what i have said, when he sells off lose money. Many 3 room flat built in the 70s, you can buy them at $200k plus, which i think many still buy within their means. But if they intend to sell off the flat in future, think the flat price will drop to $200k or even lower.

So what do you suggest? 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

4 minutes ago, fab said:

So what do you suggest? 

If cannot afford to buy newer resale 3 room flat with good location, then better go buy 2 room bto. Better than go buy an old resale 3 room flat in so called good location but the flat later become worthless. Unless he don't mind buy newer resale 3 room flat in not so good location, like sengkang, yishun and jurong.

44 minutes ago, fab said:

23 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

If u cannot even service the mortgage of a $400k flat, you are in serious deep shit and you shouldn't even buy anything.

Property is indeed an asset - an investable asset. And just as in any form of investment, there is always the risk of failure. However, at this time and in this generation, if you still do not invest, you are guaranteed to fail. 

19 minutes ago, fab said:

So what do you suggest?

Best suggestion is not to think beyond your lifespan.  Thank god that we all have shelter and able to use it to enjoy sex life.  Look at other countries.  Some people are still staying in a zinc house or inside a big cardboards.

9 minutes ago, Guest Human said:

Best suggestion is not to think beyond your lifespan.  Thank god that we all have shelter and able to use it to enjoy sex life.  Look at other countries.  Some people are still staying in a zinc house or inside a big cardboards.

I really hate it when people keep trying to get us to compare ourselves to poorer nations, just to make us feel content about our current situation. What are they trying to do here? Rain on our loftier aspirations and bash them down to nothingness? Or make us feel contented so that we can happily regress back into a Third World state? I think when the day comes when we really see people living in zinc or cardboard houses here, these same guys will still be pointing us to people sleeping in the streets without covers and tell us to "Thank god" again. 

Seriously, wake up already!! 

1 hour ago, Guest Lo Li Lo Soh (Part 2) said:

No leh,  after HIP, all pipes are renewed and look nice.   Rubbish chute in the unit also renewed thru HIP.  Don't have to keep opening your door just to throw your rubbish or store them smelly until they are full before you step out of your door to throw them.  Having Rubbish chute in the unit save all the trouble.  2-room BTO, laundry airing sucks.  You cannot have proper hanging place to dry your cloth and the moldy smells can be quite "pleasant".  Old 3-room have all the laundry space you need, and your cloth get dried instantly with sufficient sunlight throwing into your bamboo pole holders.  Wereas 2-room BTO, saw people hanging their laundry on the window, like singing Mari Kita liddat.   OK, ended my part 2 - old 3 room vs new BTO.

Anyone need part 3?  Better not, otherwise 2 room BTO no value and not saleable.

No leh,  whenever they launch bto, is always how many times over subscribe, 2 room had it's own target market : 

1. Those with a tight budget and not planning to get a huge home loan. 

2. Those who are not planning to rent out rooms or flat. 

3. Those who like "virgin" house. 

Guest Aiya ya.
8 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

No leh,  whenever they launch bto, is always how many times over subscribe, 2 room had it's own target market : 

Because not many people have enough CPF and most people belongs to lower income bracket.   Those were the days people have enough to feed and able to afford at least a 3-room flat is long gone.  Singapore is never the same and can never be reversed unless there is a major shift in  dynamic in parliament.  Expect more 2-room BTO to be built...and then converted to old folks studio eventually.   Sad

20 hours ago, Latte said:

2) Rubbish chute in unit 

6) Lift is so small.

I guess one man's meat is another man's poison.

I personally will go for old 3-room flat anytime over BTO.

I have a friend staying at Lavender area and I'm amazed at the size of the 3-room flat unit.

Big living room, big kitchen (not kidding) - there's even 2 toilets and the bedrooms are big as well.

lots of flexibility and ideas for renovation.

1) It really depends on the unit design and configuration. most of the time its just one set of windows, can cover by curtain or blinds easily.

2) im surprised you dun like rubbish chute to be in the unit. most people prefer a rubbish chute in unit, its super convenient to throw rubbish.

3) depends on location. most 3-room flat units i have seen are bright.

4) never see this as an issue. like you mentioned, it can be concealed during reno. but why are exposed pipes an issue?

5) dun find them narrow, unless you are fat?

6) i find the lifts all the same size though. maybe you are big sized?

7) depends on location again. good thing about common corridor is you can hang clothes out to dry.

also good thing about matured estates are the locations. you have everything - amenities, facilities, super convenient!

19 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I really hate it when people keep trying to get us to compare ourselves to poorer nations, just to make us feel content about our current situation. What are they trying to do here? Rain on our loftier aspirations and bash them down to nothingness? Or make us feel contented so that we can happily regress back into a Third World state? I think when the day comes when we really see people living in zinc or cardboard houses here, these same guys will still be pointing us to people sleeping in the streets without covers and tell us to "Thank god" again. 

Seriously, wake up already!! 

yes omg! I don’t understand this mentality. It’s like in school you get C- for your exam then your friend tells you, “no lah look at the others they got D and fail so be grateful you got a C-.”

The point is to do better for ourselves and get that A*!! So many people in Sg fall for the trap where they prefer to compare themselves with third world nation. Hello if like that how are we going to progress??

22 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

If u cannot even service the mortgage of a $400k flat, you are in serious deep shit and you shouldn't even buy anything.

Property is indeed an asset - an investable asset. And just as in any form of investment, there is always the risk of failure. However, at this time and in this generation, if you still do not invest, you are guaranteed to fail. 

Whether can service the mortgage of a flat or whether if you will lose money when you sell your flat later is a different thing. 

21 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

2 room over subscribe is because many singles out here wanted to own a flat but could not afford to buy a resale flat, or they never give it a serious thought if the 2 room flat they buy is worth a cent many years down the road or not. They just buy for the sake of buying first and think later. Seriously if a person have enough cash and cpf, no one would want to buy a 2 room flat cause 2 room flat really have not much resale value and space.

2 hours ago, Guest Silly said:

yes omg! I don’t understand this mentality. It’s like in school you get C- for your exam then your friend tells you, “no lah look at the others they got D and fail so be grateful you got a C-.”

The point is to do better for ourselves and get that A*!! So many people in Sg fall for the trap where they prefer to compare themselves with third world nation. Hello if like that how are we going to progress??

This is a sad thing in sg now. Everyone like to compare the situation here with third world nation or people less fortune. One good example is the public transport, when people complain that the waiting time for the bus for 15 min is long or the train is crowded, then many people would compared to other places that the you need to wait 30 mins for a bus to come and the train is so much crowded until your face stick to the door panel, so count yourself lucky and fortune in sg.

Guest Tio Bo?
20 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

2 room over subscribe is because many singles out here wanted to own a flat but could not afford to buy a resale flat, or they never give it a serious thought if the 2 room flat they buy is worth a cent many years down the road or not. They just buy for the sake of buying first and think later. Seriously if a person have enough cash and cpf, no one would want to buy a 2 room flat cause 2 room flat really have not much resale value and space.

Got good got bad.  2 room BTO allows you the ability to pay in full without much of a mortage after deducting all the grants.  You can sleep well knowing there is no mortgage to service and HDB yours (at least we were told).   2 room BTO give many single the option to be independent and a roof for single to escape from their family.  I doubt many will use it as investment for selling.  Otherwise they will opt for resale.   I wish people do not treat HDB as investment.  It is forever a depreciating asset.   Just live in it and enjoy having your own house.   I have many friends and relatives who could not afford to buy their own house just because of their joint-ownership with parents or siblings and they have to stay with them for the rest of their lives.    Whereas those who can still afford a 2 room BTO to enjoy full privacy is very much the luckier one than those staying in big flat with at least one of their family members.

Staying alone not a very good thing also, better to stay with at least one of your family members is advisable esp when you are growing old. Staying alone is only good when you are young, healthy and fit. Imagine when you are sick, no one in your house to look out or care for you is a sad thing. No matter how independence and capable a person is, if the health is not good and if need help in your house and no one is there also no use.

On 1/6/2020 at 6:28 PM, Guest mocha said:

I guess one man's meat is another man's poison.

I personally will go for old 3-room flat anytime over BTO.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:26 PM, Guest Lo Li Lo Soh (Part 2) said:

Good that both of you prefer the old style 3-rm flat, after all you're the one living in it, not me or anyone else :D

I'm not here to convince anyone one way or another. Just pointing out to TS that buying a home is not merely a dollar and cents matter. You need to think through whether you'll enjoy living in it or not, which necessarily covers the practicality and aesthetic design aspect of your dwelling unit ;)

On 1/6/2020 at 10:30 PM, Guest guest said:

Well, 2rm BTO flats in Tiong Bahru are selling for 400K+. :whistle:

I think 1-bedroom flats are the right sizing for singles or retired couples. My main complaint is that the centralised bureaucracy (ie HDB) seems to target 2Rm flats to "poorer" families who can't afford bigger flats rather than singles/retired couples who will only be too happy to buy bigger size units at say 55sm.

Guest 有钱人

I am staying in a studio penthouse in Geylang. Freehold but thinking of moving to HDB resales. Dunno worth it or not cos long term wise, I still need fork out $250 for mthly maintenance fee. 

Guest Money man
57 minutes ago, Guest 有钱人 said:

I am staying in a studio penthouse in Geylang. Freehold but thinking of moving to HDB resales. Dunno worth it or not cos long term wise, I still need fork out $250 for mthly maintenance fee.

U rent out and stay HDB resale or stay with bf.

Guest Neh Neh
1 hour ago, Guest 有钱人 said:

You can't buy any types of HDB (bto and resale) when you are still owning private condo. You will need to sell your private condo within max 6 months after you get your HDB keys. You can't own any properties oversea if you buy hdb (a stupid rule that force one to sell oversea property investments or inheritance). HDB is max 99 years lease meaning it is a depreciating asset like car. Your freehold condo is a much better asset that its value likely will go up over years.

• G_M changed the title to Buying BTO Vs 3-Room HDB Discussion (compiled)
  • G_M unlocked this topic
On 8/10/2017 at 6:14 PM, Magenta_Lilies said:

Heya guys,

Am single, 36 years of age and have recently applied for a 2-room HDB BTO in Yishun. Fortunately enough, I managed to get an appointment to select my apartment this coming September. Pretty excited and thrilled at the thought of getting my own place. Just would like to get some opinions perhaps. Is there anyone here who is already living in a new 2-Room apartment? How is it like? Is it cramped or just nice? What kinda design layout did you settle for to maximise space? With such a small space, I believe I will spending a lot on interior design and renovations to make it a place I can truly call home.

Currently am living with my parents in a 4-bedroom house and there's only the three of us at home. Living on my own, I'm sure it could be pretty daunting but it's high time I get started huh? I would certainly miss the tonnes of space I am used to now, but at least I will get my own freedom, no matter how small my new apartment will be. I guess I will make a trip down to HDB Hub soon to take a look at their showroom for the 2-Room apartment.

Advice from a couple of my friends have been ringing in my ears recently, telling me not to buy the 2-Room but instead to purchase a bigger resale apartment. A sort of way to think about my future (possibility of renting out rooms to earn extra income / when I get a boyfriend / when I decide to adopt / etc). I get where they are coming from. But I also feel like this 2-Room apartment will sort of be my retirement home. A cosy space to spend the remaining years of my life. Being gay, I kinda see myself living on my own in the future and hence not finding the need to share my space with a significant other. I know, I know, that might change but highly unlikely I guess.

Is a little bit cramp.Why not getting 3 room as help to generate incone by renting one room out at least help out the loan abit.Partly 2 room no value.

Edited by fetish69
Adding words.

On 1/9/2020 at 11:00 AM, Guest Neh Neh said:

You can't buy any types of HDB (bto and resale) when you are still owning private condo. You will need to sell your private condo within max 6 months after you get your HDB keys. You can't own any properties oversea if you buy hdb (a stupid rule that force one to sell oversea property investments or inheritance). HDB is max 99 years lease meaning it is a depreciating asset like car. Your freehold condo is a much better asset that its value likely will go up over years.

Best is to buy hdb flat first, then after 5 years MOP, go buy a private. Like this you can keep both houses. Nowadays many private condo also 99 years, unless you buy those high end condo, then is 999 years or freehold.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:10 PM, Guest guest said:

Staying alone not a very good thing also, better to stay with at least one of your family members is advisable esp when you are growing old. Staying alone is only good when you are young, healthy and fit. Imagine when you are sick, no one in your house to look out or care for you is a sad thing. No matter how independence and capable a person is, if the health is not good and if need help in your house and no one is there also no use.

Nope.  I am not staying alone because God is the Lord of my house.  

Guest Fuck jesus
15 hours ago, Guest Lorded said:

Nope.  I am not staying alone because God is the Lord of my house.  

Does Jesus poke your butt or let you suck his cock every night? Since you worship him so much.

i just bought a place near my parents, they will be moving in with me and will rent out their place. The rental will be used to cover their pocket money and holiday money.

Got a resale flat and waiting to collect key. I wish you good fortune as well.

8 hours ago, Guest Fuck jesus said:

Does Jesus poke your butt or let you suck his cock every night? Since you worship him so much.

surprise wtf GIF

23 minutes ago, lightsmith32 said:

i just bought a place near my parents, they will be moving in with me and will rent out their place. The rental will be used to cover their pocket money and holiday money.

Got a resale flat and waiting to collect key. I wish you good fortune as well.

It will be as If they strike lottery every month.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

11 minutes ago, fab said:

surprise wtf GIF

It will be as If they strike lottery every month.

Haha .. they have done so much for me, least i can do.

I'm going big getting a 5 rm, they get 1 rm, i get my mbr, a room for man cave and 1 work out room. man cave is kids friendly for nephews to chill as well.

2 minutes ago, lightsmith32 said:

Haha .. they have done so much for me, least i can do.

I'm going big getting a 5 rm, they get 1 rm, i get my mbr, a room for man cave and 1 work out room. man cave is kids friendly for nephews to chill as well.

4 bedrooms?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

• HendryTan changed the title to Buying BTO Vs 3-Room HDB Discussion (Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.