Male HQ

Do you really care for your parents or the inheritance?

Jake.Roxas

Recently my uncle sued all his children for not taking care of him. He is sick and my aunt died along time ago. My other aunt is the only one living with him amd helping him take care of him, the house and the business. His son, my youngest cousin was asking if he can take his inheritance in advanve because he didnt finish school and want to do his own business. He is an easy go lucky guy. My other 2 cousins also want him to rest and enjoy life and let go the property and busimess so that they can also take their inheritance. I'm so disapointed with my cousins.

Spineless children who cant depend on themselves are low lifes. Those who think children are 100% bet to happy straight life needs a reality check.

Although .. I have a Msian fren, studies supported by parents. After that, totally independent. Rented a room till 45 when she got own condo here. Goes overseas hols once in 3 years to save money to send home.

14 hours ago, Jake.Roxas said:

Recently my uncle sued all his children for not taking care of him. He is sick and my aunt died along time ago. My other aunt is the only one living with him amd helping him take care of him, the house and the business. His son, my youngest cousin was asking if he can take his inheritance in advanve because he didnt finish school and want to do his own business. He is an easy go lucky guy. My other 2 cousins also want him to rest and enjoy life and let go the property and busimess so that they can also take their inheritance. I'm so disapointed with my cousins.

Such situations are a result of a society which families are not anchored by a certain, strong value based on intangibles.

Seems money is the only 'chip' in life.

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 12:48 AM, Guest Me think said:

Only happen to wealthy people. Poor and humble family do not have such issues. 

Agree to this. Less fortunate people are happier in life than rich people

On 1/18/2021 at 12:48 AM, Guest Me think said:

Only happen to wealthy people. Poor and humble family do not have such issues. 

My family is not rich but got a lazy genes, and my younger brother happen to be born the laziest who still live with the mother so he's just happy to tompang and sit around smoking cigarettes at home surviving on a limited monthly allowance I provided to my mother and all the utility bills paid by me.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:47 AM, Jake.Roxas said:

So sad. Your uncle should appreciate your other aunt who is handling his day-to-day care. Caregiving isn’t easy at all. Caregivers give up various aspects of their individual lives to provide care and mental support for the people that matter to them. How about your uncle “will” a significant portion of his inheritance to this aunt. 

Personally, I have no interest in inheritance.  I told my parents, if they sell our current house in their old age and buy a smaller one, keep the remaining money so that they have something to spend. I also told them to define their will properly. Who they want to give is not my business. It's not my money anyway. They can do whatever they want.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:47 AM, Jake.Roxas said:

Not much to comment on the lawsuit.  The beauty of this world is that everyone has Free Will.  You can't force someone to like you, to think about you, to fall in love with you, or to prevent them from stop loving you and to fall out of love with you.   Your uncle's case has no leg to stand on.  Too bad he didn't raise them right or give them adequate love for them to give a shit about him when he's old and weak.  Perhaps if he got his priorities right and invested more time and emotional resources in his children when they're young, they'd feel differently towards him now. 

In any case, if your uncle is loaded, he can always hire someone professional to take care of him.  Having someone pop out of your loins shouldn't be a prerequisite to be a good primary caretaker.

On being a good son to elderly parents, I like to live by the words of Woody Allen. I truly believe "Showing up is 80% of success", whether it's for work or for personal life.  It's such a simple idea yet more than half, or perhaps 90% of adults (in my opinion) can't carry it out when it comes to taking care of their parents. Most adults don't even have their elderly parents in their plans, so why should it be a surprise when their parents die in horrible fashion out of neglect. 

A few months back I was reading the news about Sg PR in Sg who was mercifully allowed to cross the border to attend his parent's funeral back in Malaysia.  Photos showed him kneeling and crying, made me think, why is the elderly parent in Malaysia while he build a life in SG.  Like what was he expecting his parent's endgame to be?  

Back to the topic of your uncle and his inheritance and his kids which he's suing, take it from Kid Rock.

"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve".

Edited by FattChoy

• 11 months later...
On 1/16/2021 at 6:47 PM, Jake.Roxas said:

Unfortunately the sad situation of your uncle is not uncommon.  I learned from a financial adviser that the biggest cause of seniors losing their money is due to family taking their money away.

He should immediately make a power of attorney naming your aunt who takes care of him as the only person with authority to make decisions in his name if he becomes incapacitated.   In addition, he should make a solid will leaving most of his estate to your good aunt, and naming her the executor of his will.  If he must (by any strange law in Singapore) leave something to his children, then this should be the minimum amount.  He should notify (after the fact) of these moves to the rest of his family.  If he dies, they will inherit practically nothing from him.  But while he is alive he may be willing to pay for their education.  NO money for them to open their "own business".  For this, the money should come from them.   He should tell his children that depending on how they take care of him, he may change his mind and leave them something in the will.  

It is sad, but "love" within a family has little or no value when it comes to money.

Guest Runner
On 1/17/2021 at 11:33 PM, Guest Tomato said:

Such situations are a result of a society which families are not anchored by a certain, strong value based on intangibles.

Seems money is the only 'chip' in life.

There is no moral compass in that family.  Do not let Singapore run by those people.  May be, it was already too late as we typed. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.