Male HQ

Are Aftershock PCs and Laptops good? Any (more) affordable options for gaming laptops?

ahben94

13 minutes ago, zephin said:

I think aftershock is quite good at that price point. I bought the forge 15.0. 3060 graphic card. But so far, i have only used it to play genshin XD

Ā 

hahahahaha omg i am obsessed with genshin, tho im like AR55 already i still want to play even if thereā€™s nothing much to do alr

6 minutes ago, rowdyboy91 said:

Plug and play, definitely Aftershock. If you are not exactly picky with parts and branding,Ā then it is fine. Honestly, if you are ask, all brands are the same if you are do not care about the last 10% improvement.Ā 

Ā 

hmmm, what would the last 10% improvements be like?

4 hours ago, ahben94 said:

Ā 

hmmm, what would the last 10% improvements be like?

Ā 

Lol, same here. I'm super into Genshin Impact and am at AR55 now farming artifacts and killing elites.Ā 

Ā 

The last 10% will be like, upgrading from say, 3070 to 3080, you get 10% more but you pay like 30% more. Aftershock has calibrated that sweet spot for most people who not do care about min-maxing their laptops. Afterall, if you wanna min-max, you'll be looking at building desktop alrdy lol.Ā 

9 hours ago, rowdyboy91 said:

Ā 

Lol, same here. I'm super into Genshin Impact and am at AR55 now farming artifacts and killing elites.Ā 

Ā 

The last 10% will be like, upgrading from say, 3070 to 3080, you get 10% more but you pay like 30% more. Aftershock has calibrated that sweet spot for most people who not do care about min-maxing their laptops. Afterall, if you wanna min-max, you'll be looking at building desktop alrdy lol.Ā 

Ā 

hahahah yeah, im literally just farming random things as i wait for the next big update.Ā 

Ā 

ahh okay, i actually thought of a desktop, but i need something more mobile for me because of work, unless i get a desktop andĀ a tablet for work (which seems more expensive). but we'll see thanks for the tips guys!

I have an aftershock laptop, my friends and her fam have it too. I think it's a hit or miss tbh due to their lack of QA. Mine I got it 2 yrs ago and had to go back 5 times now ever since due to problems with the audio and jittery monitor and whatnot. I tried to get them to find out the root cause but to no avail, all they did was to reboot and reformat. My friend bought her laptop during the 2019 comex and when she collected hers I was there in the HQ sending mine for another repair and they legit forgot to add the ssd...afterwards she had to go back few times now as she experienced her audio cutting off midway while gaming. She experience some other issues that needed aftershock to order parts and even afterwards still got issues. Meanwhile her parents laptop and another friends laptops are working fine. So I really think it's their lack of QA and maybe even inferior products? YVMV

Screenshot_20210415-161058_Telegram.jpg

Edited by Sjak32
Typo

4 minutes ago, Sjak32 said:

I have an aftershock laptop, my friends and her fam have it too. I think it's a hit or miss tbh due to their lack of QA. Mine I got it 2 yrs ago and had to go back 5 times now ever since due to problems with the audio and jittery monitor and whatnot. I tried to get them to find out the root cause but to no avail, all they did was to reboot and reformat. My friend bought her laptop during the 2019 comex and when she collected hers I was there in the HQ sending mine for another repair and they legit forgot to add the ssd...afterwards she had to go back few times now as she experienced her audio cutting off midway while gaming. She experience some other issues that needed aftershock to order parts and even afterwards still got issues. Meanwhile her parents laptop and another friends laptops are working fine. So I really think it's their lack of QA and maybe even inferior products? YVMV

Screenshot_20210415-161058_Telegram.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

ooohh this is incredibly helpful! then how's it working now?

1 minute ago, ahben94 said:

Ā 

Ā 

ooohh this is incredibly helpful! then how's it working now?

For my friend she said it's not perfect but working and still waiting for the parts to come from overseas. For mine they acknowledge that for my particular model Prime 15, they had mass issues with their faulty keyboard so was replaced for free even after the warranty has ended. Took about a month for them to order. Now my screen is faulty. Its flickering left and right and so far I have not touched the laptop at all as it has been connected to an external monitor since CB. Since I have external monitor I have been too lazy to go all the way to their HQ again for them to take a look and totally regretting it now cause moving countries soon and parts will need to be ordered again I guess šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Here is the state of my screen now:

http://imgur.com/gallery/u6OMwN5

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

3 minutes ago, Sjak32 said:

For my friend she said it's not perfect but working and still waiting for the parts to come from overseas. For mine they acknowledge that for my particular model Prime 15, they had mass issues with their faulty keyboard so was replaced for free even after the warranty has ended. Took about a month for them to order. Now my screen is faulty. Its flickering left and right and so far I have not touched the laptop at all as it has been connected to an external monitor since CB. Since I have external monitor I have been too lazy to go all the way to their HQ again for them to take a look and totally regretting it now cause moving countries soon and parts will need to be ordered again I guess šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

omg what, the screen is very bad! how do u even use it sia??Ā 

Ā 

but their marketing budget now quite big ne, asking a few local influencers to help market their products

1 minute ago, ahben94 said:

Ā 

omg what, the screen is very bad! how do u even use it sia??Ā 

Ā 

but their marketing budget now quite big ne, asking a few local influencers to help market their products

Well like I mentioned I have it connected to the external monitor so I was able to bypass the problem! To be fair their products offering are very competitive and affordable. It is a homegrown business and customisable. The customisability and affordability really entices me to go with aftershock. This was my first Windows computer coming from Mac so I can't compare it with other manufacturers.Ā 

Ā 

It might be just that me and my friend got a faulty batch or maybe they just didn't build it properly and we got it during sale seasons lol. So you might not have any problems at all of you were to buy from them!Ā 

Ā 

Sidenote gaming laptop in general are very noisy. Their fans are just going on nitro if you don't set it to minimum and it also runs hot hahahha

Aftershock is not bad, but like what other users have said, they seem to have some QA issues. My PC completely broke down after EXACTLY 1 year. I had to send it to them to get it fixed, and I believe they reformatted my pc only. Or they might have switch out the SSD I'm not sure, but other than that, the PC experience is good. I got it for a steal fromĀ 11.11 sales back in 2019. I guess this is where I say, it comes at a price lolol. If u ask me, I'd buy an actual brand in future like Alienware or something where I know my computer won't break down so quickly.

14 minutes ago, SociNerd said:

Aftershock is not bad, but like what other users have said, they seem to have some QA issues. My PC completely broke down after EXACTLY 1 year. I had to send it to them to get it fixed, and I believe they reformatted my pc only. Or they might have switch out the SSD I'm not sure, but other than that, the PC experience is good. I got it for a steal fromĀ 11.11 sales back in 2019. I guess this is where I say, it comes at a price lolol. If u ask me, I'd buy an actual brand in future like Alienware or something where I know my computer won't break down so quickly.

I think alienware is way overpriced, and also no guarantee no problem XD

2 hours ago, Sjak32 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

No wonder they replaced my keyboard for free, no questions asked even when warranty was over. Now I know why. Lol

Ā 

I totally agree with the others of themĀ having bad QA. I have not had much issues but my friendā€™s prime apparently got so hot while he was playing dota that it shuts down on its own. In the end he bought those laptop stand with big ass fan to prevent the issue.

Ā 

If I am going for a desktop, I might consider building one from scratch, unless I wany one of the small form factor PC. With a laptop, I might still give them another try because I am a sucker of supporting local biz, unless I know I am heading overseas for work or studies whereby international warranty is into consideration.

Edited by boyzbe81

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo F. Buscaglia

On 4/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, boyzbe81 said:

No wonder they replaced my keyboard for free, no questions asked even when warranty was over. Now I know why. Lol

Ā 

I totally agree with the others of themĀ having bad QA. I have not had much issues but my friendā€™s prime apparently got so hot while he was playing dota that it shuts down on its own. In the end he bought those laptop stand with big ass fan to prevent the issue.

Ā 

If I am going for a desktop, I might consider building one from scratch, unless I wany one of the small form factor PC. With a laptop, I might still give them another try because I am a sucker of supporting local biz, unless I know I am heading overseas for work or studies whereby international warranty is into consideration.

I lived abroad when I had multiple problems with the laptop, visited them every holiday period so much that they gave me free shipping now lol. And I think gaming laptop runs quite noisy and hot in general but damn I felt that I can burn my fingers resting it on the surface sometimes šŸ˜‚ and yes support local business! I've seen more and more pc builder like aftershock entering the market so hopefully they would be able to provide better deals and service too!Ā 

Heyyyy! Thought I'll jump in to give my two cents

Ā 

I know you guys want to support local companies and that's great! Aftershock has a number of good options. But what's your budget? Hahaha, and do you need it to be portable with battery life being an issue?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, Rhyn said:

Heyyyy! Thought I'll jump in to give my two cents

Ā 

I know you guys want to support local companies and that's great! Aftershock has a number of good options. But what's your budget? Hahaha, and do you need it to be portable with battery life being an issue?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

i suppose i want to keep it around 2k for my budget. For me i want a longer battery life, along with easy portability.

Ā 

yes i'm the gay that wants it all hahahahaha

Ā 

You'll be hard pressed to find a good gaming laptop that is under 2k budget for that hahaha, but I think there are some decent options. Is 2.5kg considered portable? Or 2kg? Hahaha!

Ā 

You can customise Aftershock's Forge 15X- but they'll still break your budget of $2000, and it weighs 2.3kg or so. In fact, most of their lineup is above $2k.

Ā 

Then there's Asus's TUF Gaming A15, decent specs and under $2k but also 2.3kg lol

Ā 

But I think Lenovo Slim i7 might fit your description: it's under 1.8kg, under $2k if you specc it out correctly.Ā 

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

Ā 

Ā 

44 minutes ago, Rhyn said:

You'll be hard pressed to find a good gaming laptop that is under 2k budget for that hahaha, but I think there are some decent options. Is 2.5kg considered portable? Or 2kg? Hahaha!

Ā 

You can customise Aftershock's Forge 15X- but they'll still break your budget of $2000, and it weighs 2.3kg or so. In fact, most of their lineup is above $2k.

Ā 

Then there's Asus's TUF Gaming A15, decent specs and under $2k but also 2.3kg lol

Ā 

But I think Lenovo Slim i7 might fit your description: it's under 1.8kg, under $2k if you specc it out correctly.Ā 

Ā 

ooooh thanks for the tips! šŸ˜

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with most of replies here. i and my cousin brought 2 same modelĀ  laptop from Aftershock about 3 years ago from PC show 2018, the slim model with thunderbolt 3 option which can game using the razer core X external gpu enclosure.My external gpu use a gtx 1070 ti.

Mine have zero issues since day 1, my cousin laptop brought needed to be repaired 4 times in the space of a year.

From the replies here aftershock qc is the main problem. You either get a great laptop on the get go or suffer from a poorly assembled laptop even though they share same

components. like 50/50 lottery.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.