Male HQ

Singapore's hot hunkles: Chuando Tan's new 'baby', Edmund Chen's no-gym bod and more - The Sunday Times

sphere

Singapore'e hot hunkles: Chuando Tan's new 'baby', Edmund Chen's no-gym bod and more - The Sunday Times (22 May 2022)

spacer.png

The Straits Times catches up with Singapore hunkles who are going strong and reinventing themselves.

At 56, Internet sensation Chuando Tan enters the metaverse by launching his own non-fungible token. The Straits Times catches up with other Singapore hunkles who are going strong and reinventing themselves.

Chuando Tan, 56: Eager to introduce his 'baby' to the world

In 2017, top fashion photographer Chuando Tan stunned the world with his youthful good looks and jaw-dropping physique at 51.

The living, breathing Adonis became a thirst trap almost overnight, garnering 1.1 million followers on Instagram since.

Five years on, Tan has far from faded from the spotlight. Now 56, the Internet sensation is preparing for the next phase of his career, with a slew of year-end projects.

Currently keeping him up at night is his non-fungible token (NFT) venture, which he has been slogging over since late last year.

He has created a fantastical storyline featuring four characters, including what he affectionately calls his "baby" and "son" - the princely protagonist Charcoal Mako, a unique being with a hero's heart and special powers.

More information can be found at CharcoalChronicles' website and on Instagram.

Entering the metaverse also allows Tan, who has a diploma in graphic design from the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts and whose late father is respected Chinese ink artist Tan Tee Chie, to explore his creative side.

"That's the thing with creative people. Your brain keeps on moving and working," he tells The Straits Times.

He adds: "NFTs churn out so much money right now and it's become a serious, legitimate thing. But the art being traded in the market is very simple - there's a basic template with lots of repetition.

"So I wanted to create something worth collectors' while, what I feel an NFT should be."

spacer.png

Chuando Tan (right) and his NFT creation Charcoal Mako.

Tan hopes his Charcoal Chronicles spearheads the "second generation" of NFTs as it comprises a GIF (graphics interchange format) file, or a moving photo.

Upon creating the 3D model prototype, he then draws it based on manga and anime influences, which is more difficult than using a computer to generate the avatar and its movements.

"I feel sentimental towards Mako as a lot of me is in him. Wait, I cannot say that because then the people who hate me will not buy this. I think many may already think, 'Wah lau, such an old man, how come do NFT?'," he says with a laugh.

"But as an artist, I'm pretty excited about the craft. When you have ideas and have so much passion for it, you just want to create something that will wow people."

He adds: "When it's launched at the end of the year, I'll be really happy because it's like the birth of my baby. Whether it does well or not, I don't really care."

Tan, who also runs modelling agency Ave Management, has proved he is no flash in the pan.

Every few months, he receives a fresh wave of global attention.

In March, after posting about his 56th birthday on his Instagram account, he suddenly went viral in the Arab world.

"It was really crazy," recalls the former model, who is togged out in Louis Vuitton's latest collection for the photo shoot. "I received a lot of messages in Arabic, I was tagged on many social media posts and people were calling me an Arabic name for some god."

spacer.png

Chuando Tan went viral in the Arab world after posting about his 56th birthday in March.

A self-confessed introvert, Tan turns visibly embarrassed and self-deprecating when recounting the display of collective thirst.

He says: "I feel like I'm old, and I look old. It's just that I exercise and I appear to be slimmer than people in their 50s. So when they describe me (in such extreme ways), I cannot afford to bear that responsibility."

In fact, he made a conscious decision to not post any topless photos of himself on his feed this year because he does not want to "show too much".

He says: "I've reached a point where if I continue doing things like that, people may think I'm trying to gain attention.

"Before I went viral, I could do so because no one cared."

Another reason you will not see Tan's famous bare bod much any more is because he has not been in training mode since the Covid-19 pandemic hit due to a lingering shoulder injury and degeneration of his joints from carrying heavy weights in the gym.

He will, however, make an exception soon. He is preparing to bulk up again for a self-help pictorial book, which is slated to be released by a Taiwan publisher in the last quarter of this year.

He reckons it will take him one to two months to get back in optimal shape and to his ideal weight of 82kg. He is 1.85m tall and now weighs 75kg.

When asked about his concept of a shirtless cover photo, he shoots back cheekily: "Sex sells, right?"

He adds: "We buy books because we want to gain something out of it, to get inspired. So I hope I have something to offer in terms of diet tips, what sort of mindset you should adopt as you grow older, and how to take care of and preserve yourself."

spacer.png

Chuando Tan is preparing to bulk up again for a self-help pictorial book, slated to be released in the last quarter of 2022.

And after making his acting debut in the risque mystery-thriller film Precious Is The Night (2021), in which he took on nudity and sex scenes, Tan - who is not signed to any artiste management agency - is looking into expanding his repertoire.

Declining to go into detail, he says: "I'm in talks with a company and something may come up towards the end of the year."

He adds: "I enjoyed the whole experience of making that movie and I was surprised that I have an aptitude for it. But if I want to pursue acting seriously, I will need to move to China."

He may also return to singing, and says he is collaborating with a "renowned songwriter" on a single. He had a short career as a Mandopop star in his 20s under the name Chen Yufei.

He adds: "For the longest time, I've been telling people I don't like singing, but I actually enjoy it now. I'm touched to be given all these opportunities at my age. My whole attitude towards life now is, 'Why not try?' I don't feel shy any more and I'm trying to break barriers."

spacer.png

Photographer Chuando Tan (far right) has since late last year been working on his non-fungible token venture, in which he created a storyline featuring four characters including protagonist Charcoal Mako (right).

Edited by sphere

Happy - is what we should be, always.

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

Edmund Chen, 61: No gym needed for his hot bod

spacer.png

Edmund Chen says his physique keeps getting better every day, without even having to lift weights at a gym.

Ripped at 61 - and he does not even go to the gym.

Former heart-throb-actor Edmund Chen got dealt a good hand when it comes to his ageless face, but it seems even his figure is forever young.

Netizens have done a double take ever since he posted a sweaty, post-workout shirtless selfie on Instagram during the circuit breaker in 2020.

That was also the time he picked up fitness again at the urging of his actress-wife Xiang Yun and their two children.

Chen even posed topless for entertainment magazine UWeekly early last year as a way of commemorating turning 60.

spacer.png

His washboard abs are also on full display on his Instagram feed, whether he is soaking in the sea or holidaying on a yacht.

In fact, he says his physique keeps getting better every day - without even having to lift weights at a gym or use resistance bands or equipment at home.

And no, he does not consume any protein powder or supplements either, nor follow a strict diet.

As he enjoys exercising in vast open spaces outdoors and likes the smell of grass and the salt from the sea, his daily regimen involves doing a total of 300 reps of sit-ups and push-ups at his "little corner" by the beach at East Coast Park.

The artist-author, who runs event production company Asiatainment, says: "It's a routine that's available to everyone.

"My objective is quite different because I'm not trying to achieve any aesthetic or look, or prepare for any role.

"I'm doing it more for functionality and stability, and it has become a lifestyle. It's like a retreat, a mind check. If I don't do it, I feel like something is missing. The results are a bonus and an encouragement."

He adds: "It's a privilege to be able to motivate others. This is not just a self-investment, but it also helps with mental and physical improvement. I feel I have the strength and the hope. Exercising revitalises me, and it can lift one's morale and spirit, as well as make you forget your troubles."

spacer.png

Edmund Chen enjoys exercising in vast open spaces outdoors and likes the smell of grass and the salt from the sea.

Chen, who is 1.78m tall and weighs 67kg, acknowledges he is a rare specimen. He was already in good shape at the peak of his acting career "so the foundation was there", and he has never gained nor lost more than 5kg.

"I'm quite blessed that what others do in three months, I do in three weeks and get the same result," he says. "I really have to thank my parents for the good genes, but that's why I can get lazy and content too."

When reminded that the UWeekly portrait was the most exposed he has been for a professional shoot, Chen turns sheepish upon the realisation.

He says with nervous laughter: "My goodness, people will say this man is crazy now, no shame."

He adds: "But I am happy to have this 'report card' to show I didn't waste the Covid-19 time.

"I feel that when you reach your 60s, you are like a sink with some cracks. You keep losing muscle mass. So every day I do a bit of 'plumbing' to fix that leak."

Chen, who was once touted as the Tom Cruise of Singapore's entertainment scene, has also learnt to be comfortable in his own skin over the decades.

"Initially, when I left show business in 2007, I wanted to change my image and be forgotten as an actor. I wanted so much to prove that I could accomplish things without that celebrity halo."

So for a good 10 years, he tried to put on weight, perm his hair and go unshaven - anything to look different from the on-screen Edmund Chen.

These days, however, being told he "still looks the same" from his 1980s and 1990s heyday sits better with him.

"I have learnt to embrace and accept it, and am so proud I'm able to regain that," he says.

In fact, Chen is eager to take his family to watch the upcoming action film Top Gun: Maverick, a sequel to the 1986 hit Top Gun in which Tom Cruise, 60, reprises his role as the titular hotshot United States Navy pilot.

Chen says: "I feel like I grew old with Tom Cruise. I'm going to try to keep up with this man. He has not aged, so I should not age. He motivates me to maintain and not lose it. And thank god I have not lost my hair."

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

Zheng Geping, 58: His makeover inspires many to reinvent themselves

spacer.png

What has been most rewarding for Zheng Geping is how his makeover has inspired others to reinvent themselves too.

Nobody understands the concept of "survival of the fittest" more than Zheng Geping, especially in an industry as competitive as show business.

When the Mediacorp actor famously transformed his body in 2011 at the age of 47, his newly buff image turned his floundering career around.

Since then, the hunkle reputation gave his popularity a boost and extended his shelf life by a good decade. It culminated in him receiving the All-Time Favourite Artiste award at last month's Star Awards - the oldest artiste to do so at the age of 58 - for winning 10 Top 10 Most Popular Male Artistes trophies.

Zheng says: "Honestly, I didn't expect (my popularity) to last that long because of my age. It was a good run, and I feel very blessed and grateful that my fans are still supporting me."

What would have happened if he had not taken what he calls "that gamble"?

"I'd probably have been kicked out already, be out of business," he says with a laugh. "But something had to be done, and I guess you can say I won."

He adds: "It's a tough and cruel industry. Every year or two, there'll be a group of young artistes coming in, so you really don't know how long this so-called veteran will be able to survive.

spacer.png

Zheng Geping received the All-Time Favourite Artiste award at last month's Star Awards.

"It's really up to each individual to believe in himself or herself. Age should not be an excuse. As long as you are willing to keep learning, have an open mind and heart, and share with young people and learn from them, then your value will always be there."

But what has been most rewarding for him is how his makeover has inspired others, from celebrity peers to the man on the street, to reinvent themselves too.

However, training to beef himself up has proven more challenging due to his current role as an executive producer. His projects include the short film anthology First Of April (which also features his actor-son Calvert Tay), the supernatural drama series Soul Detectives and the human trafficking action film Deleted, which he also stars in.

It was filmed in 2019 and is slated to be released in the middle of the year. It also marks the final time he will appear shirtless on screen, in a big fight scene and a prison scene.

spacer.png

Zheng Geping in a scene from the movie Deleted.

However, Zheng - who is 1.82m tall and weighs 86kg - is not ready to retire the hunkle label just yet.

"No, I don't feel pressure. In fact, I want it to remind me. Sometimes work gets too stressful and I'm slacking. Then when somebody says, 'Hey hunkle', I'll be like, 'Okay, okay, I'll go to the gym.'"

And he hopes to do one last topless shoot at age 60, in the year of the dragon, which is his zodiac animal.

"I will give it serious thought and do my best, although I'll need a longer time to prepare. But if it doesn't pass my own standards and I can't reach my peak, then I think viewers will prefer to look at fresher meat, like my son," he jokes.

FreeMan Loke, 53: Stretching expectations of what uncles ought to be

spacer.png

Mr FreeMan Loke's weekly exercise routine involves swimming, cycling and running.

Mr FreeMan Loke is turning expectations of what middle-aged men can do upside down.

And it is all thanks to him picking up callisthenics, body weight exercises that build muscles, six years ago.

The 53-year-old salesman has gained a modest Instagram following after posting topless photos of himself doing handstands, splits and the human flag all over Singapore - at fitness corners, public swimming pools, playgrounds, void decks and even at home on his coffee table or sofa.

No one is sure what is more eye-popping - his stunts or his six-pack.

As both photography and fitness are his passions, he sees it as the perfect way to document his callisthenics skills.

Mr Loke, who is married with no children, says: "I can reminisce when I'm old and frail and can't do the moves anymore."

He first started with the muscle-up, an advanced pull-up-like move which involves pulling oneself up to hip level instead of the usual chin above bar.

He then learnt the front lever and human flag.

Then one day, on Instagram, he chanced upon a local gymnastics coach doing handstands from a seated position to and fro, which is known as the stalder press handstand. He was in awe.

That kick-started his self-taught handstand journey, and he has been doing this pose daily for more than four years.

spacer.png

Mr FreeMan Loke has been doing the handstand pose daily for more than four years.

Mr Loke, who is 1.68m tall and weighs 62kg, says: "Practice makes perfect doesn't apply to me because 'perfect' is subjective. I believe in practice makes progress. Because of the joy I find in doing handstands, I changed my Instagram handle to @handstand_n_be_merry."

He adds: "There's no secret in doing handstands and splits. The key to success is consistent training and patience - build strength progressively and drill in the muscle memory. What you see done with ease is through many hours of hard work behind the scenes.

"I do it not to challenge others, but to better myself. The posts are meant to motivate like-minded fitness enthusiasts, so everyone can move forward together."

Mr Loke used to do marathons, triathlons, Ironman races, ultra running up to 100km and multi-day races. His weekly exercise routine involves swimming, cycling and running.

He avoids processed foods, soft drinks, supplements, pre- or post-workout drinks and protein shakes. He consumes energy bars and isotonic drinks only during long-distance endurance races.

"Real food is best," he declares.

He says: "I don't consider myself a hunk because I'm small-built and lean. I've found the significance of health and fitness essential as I age. I'm only maintaining my fitness and, hopefully, it won't go southward too soon."

Guest Lmfao

“The living, breathing Adonis became a thirst trap almost overnight, garnering 1.1 million followers on Instagram since.

Five years on, Tan has far from faded from the spotlight. Now 56, the Internet sensation is preparing for the next phase of his career,with a slew of year-end projects.”

i really hope he is either fucking or paying the journalist to write this utter drivel… 

Brandon Barker, 67: Agency's a new adventure for him

spacer.png

Co-founder of senior modelling agency Platinum Angels, Brandon Barker (centre).

With the launch of Platinum Angels Management (PAM) earlier this year, Mr Brandon Barker is thrilled he now has "another adventure to embark on" at the age of 67.It is the first agency in Singapore - and Asia - that exclusively represents models, talent and celebrities over the age of 50.

PAM was co-founded by Barker, an event and show producer, and French national Beatrice Andre-Besse, 60, a senior director in the financial sector. Both were former models who believe "life begins at 50" and there is a market for mature models.

Mr Barker, who roped in former top model Pat Kraal, 59, as PAM's managing director, says: "I am doing this with old friends from my modelling days and new friends whom I met with the same curiosity with what life has to offer at this age.

"Life has led me to this and as always, I am going with the flow, embracing new challenges that are coming my way."

As the only son of late politician and lawyer E.W. Barker, people assumed "the flow" for Mr Barker was to follow in his prominent family's footsteps and enter the legal profession, but it was actually fashion and design which enthralled.

He started modelling in 1971 at the age of 17, and was one of the first male models in Singapore.

At 19, he was given the opportunity to produce and direct fashion shows, becoming one of the first home-grown show producers then.

He also worked as a fashion buyer and started exploring visual merchandising in the 1980s.

He says: "I did get my law degree eventually, but it wasn't because it was expected of me. It was really to take a break from working in fashion. My family never pressured me to do anything I did not want to do. They have always been supportive."

After graduating from the University of Buckingham in England, he styled and art directed commercials, and show production led to event planning and event design.

Mild-mannered but with an impish twinkle in his eye and armed with a killer personal style, the sprightly bachelor puts the sexy in sexagenarian and has always been comfortable blazing his own trail.

Mr Barker says: "This is my attitude in how I dress and express myself too. I wear whatever makes me happy. I am never bothered by people's opinions such as 'You don't dress your age', 'This is not weather-appropriate', 'It's not casual enough' and 'Your hair is too long'.

"What matters most is that I like the way I dress and I am comfortable in the way I present myself. That is the only opinion that matters."

He adds: "Looking back, my career choices, fashion choices and life choices were never made because I succumbed to what people's expectations of me are.

"Similarly, just because we are above 60 does not mean we have to live like how people expect those over 60 to live."

Jason Raj, 50: Chasing his modelling dream

spacer.png

Mr Jason Raj is an advocate of health and wellness.

With his smouldering visage and trim frame, silver fox Jason Raj was always encouraged by friends and family to try modelling.

However, other priorities took over.

And as age caught up, he thought his chances were over - until his wife got wind of senior modelling agency Platinum Angels Management and pushed him to sign up.

Mr Raj, 50 jokes: "She said, 'You need to do this for you.' So I decided to join while I still have my teeth and hair."

A lead technician in the aviation industry, he has appeared in advertisements for Singapore Airlines and is open to acting opportunities.

"It is certainly a reinvention of myself. I am rekindling a passion and a calling that has always been there, and I am open to exploring new and exciting pathways," he says.

Mr Raj's wife, a lecturer at a private institution, and three daughters aged 24, 21 and 12 are happy to see him pursue his interest as he had always put the family first.

He also received their support to grow out his thick salt-and-pepper beard and mane, which he has not dyed in more than a decade, during the Covid-19 circuit breaker. It was during this period that he realised many people have a mindset that does not accept greying, even in men.

He says: "It was seen as ageing and something to be avoided at all costs. But in my opinion, we should embrace greying hair as a sign of strength and character. My silver streaks have become my trademark."

Mr Raj, who is 1.7m tall and weighs 77kg, is also an advocate of health and wellness.

His buffet of fitness activities include running, cycling, swimming, suspension training and the "dreaded" kettlebells.

He also makes an effort to have long, meaningful conversations with his wife and children, reads self-help books, as well as prays and meditates during his me-time.

He says: "To me, sexy ageing is a by-product of all of the above. Once you have ticked all the boxes, you can go out and show the world your confidence and charisma.

"You can wear well-fitted clothes and carry yourself with poise. And if you can grow out your hair, it's a bonus."

However, Mr Raj has always avoided being called "uncle" - even by his daughters' friends - but is officially a granduncle now as his sister recently became a grandmother.

"I am still struggling to come to terms with that title," he says. "But I want to embrace each decade and what it has to offer and, in the process, discover myself and inspire others in their 50s. My motto is - my best years are ahead of me."

On 5/22/2022 at 9:14 PM, Guest GUEST said:

Chuando looks so youthful despite at age 56? His overall look looks at least 10 year younger. What he do? 

You could refer to this article about 5 years ago --> here.

Guest guest
On 5/22/2022 at 9:35 PM, sphere said:

You could refer to this article about 5 years ago --> here.

Thanks. Saw that he doesn't look as youthful as now when he was 51, could be due to he did not shave his face.

Guest Funcle

Some of them like Edmund really do take care with strict diet.

Some of the reservists guys I met look older than him and they are only in the 30's. Most importantly his hair is still thick and youthful, those who start balding look at least 20 years older.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:27 PM, Guest Funcle said:

Some of the reservists guys I met look older than him and they are only in the 30's. Most importantly his hair is still thick and youthful, those who start balding look at least 20 years older.

Some 30 plus years old only hairline already receded into only ponds and puddles.

Guest Weather also play a part.

Weather and climate also play a part. Chuando had been staying in Central China for many years.

you go Central China or Northern China to see, there are also many middle-aged PRCs there that look very young.

Internet also got show 1 above 70-years-old male PRC his face and body look like 45 to 55 but he is already above 70

Guest True
On 5/23/2022 at 3:14 AM, Guest Weather also play a part. said:

Weather and climate also play a part. Chuando had been staying in Central China for many years.

you go Central China or Northern China to see, there are also many middle-aged PRCs there that look very young.

Internet also got show 1 above 70-years-old male PRC his face and body look like 45 to 55 but he is already above 70

honestly its the sun.

we are exposed to too much sun here, and it makes us age fast.

many people dun apply sunscreen or input sunscreen as part of their skincare routine.

worst is alot of gays like to tan and think its so gorgeous when its so damaging to the skin.

Guest guest
On 5/22/2022 at 11:27 PM, Guest Funcle said:

Hair starts to bald or even start to grow white hair, sometimes it is something that we cannot control? You ask those guys with balding hair, they also have no idea why it happen?

Guest holidays

Actually Edmund Chen's face can tell his age is at least 55-years-old and above. It is Edmund chen's physique that looks young. But Edmund's face looks around 55-60.

But Chuando's face does look 10 years younger than his actual age. Chuando's face looks around 45 to 48.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:25 AM, Guest Guest said:

Don't have Chan Wai Teik in the article?

After googling his name.. I must say, definitely an erotic beefcake for sure. not shy at all to use his whole package to seduce

Guest Photoshop Face and Body
On 5/23/2022 at 9:27 PM, Guest holidays said:

Actually Edmund Chen's face can tell his age is at least 55-years-old and above. It is Edmund chen's physique that looks young. But Edmund's face looks around 55-60.

But Chuando's face does look 10 years younger than his actual age. Chuando's face looks around 45 to 48.

In fact Edmund Chen’s face looks over 60, even the photoshop on him doesn’t help already.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest
On 6/26/2022 at 10:16 PM, Guest Guest said:

You guys are bloody dumb. It is SO OBVIOUS that Chuan Do had cosmetic surgery. A facelift, eyelift, botox etc. 

Where he done all his cosmetic surgery? End result quite good and natural. Unlike some people result is scary.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.