Male HQ

Is pursuing a hobby as a full time job is a bad idea?

Guest Tim28

Guest Tim28

I dont recommend it without serious considerations.

I used to love computers. I'd enjoy building my own, customizing them and overclocking them. I enjoyed benchmarking them to compete with others. I'd enjoy setting up my own homelab and creating my own infrastructure.

I leveraged this knowledge to succeed in the IT field. At age 20 I started out as a copy machine technician. By age 22 I became a regular computer technician. I was promoted a few times tech throughout the years then became a Systems Administrator at age 25.

Being a Sys Admin in IT is a fairly prestigious title. Depending on where you work it means you run the show in regards to the IT infrastructure. You're the one maintaining the servers, implementing new technologies, and creating a backup system. In some instances theres even more to it than that but the gist of it is you're ensuring the availability and integrity of the systems.

Since becoming this I now hate my hobby of computers. I no longer enjoy building them and doing any of that. When I have a computer problem at home I simply walk away or get very aggravated. I spend a good amount of my day fixing computer related issues I dont want to have to come home and do it too lol. When family calls and asks for help it's even more of a drag because it seems to be the only time anyone will call. I'm sure all IT people face that problem though.

Anyways I spent a lot of time tinkering with computers and the end result was it got me a great job. Who knows where I'd be without it.

I'd just be careful with turning your hobby into a career because theres a good chance you'll end up loosing the enjoyment for that hobby.

Just something to think about, I personally have no regrets but do miss the fun I once had with computers. It’ll never be the same.

• G_M locked this topic