Male HQ

Do you know someone who give $10 AngPow at wedding dinner?

Guest ffffffff

5 minutes ago, Guest ffffffff said:

Someone evn claimed to be unemployed, said he cannot afford to give angpow and went to eat free.

I wouldn't even attend or give ang poh for not attending. 

Why are we celebrating wedding of others when we are denied ours. 

Start boycotting hetero wedding until gay can get married too

Guest Inflation hit hard

Wedding dinner, is like asking people for donation.  Once my ex colleagues invited me to their wedding dinner,  I old them not free because I "am out of town".    I ain't close to them, and besides I quitted the job and will not be seeing them again.     Another one is a relative wedding, very distant one. They send invitation but I told them my boss send me for "overseas assignment" on their wedding day, so not free.  Give them small Ang Bao, they will not be happy, so don't attend and don't give at all.

For the above reasons, I hate so many acivities such as these happening in office settings too.  People resign also must foot bill for farewell party,  also birthday gift, then free treat for the junior on lunch gathering.    Imaginve your office have at least 50 workers, every month have to "donate"  out of your pocket. 

1 hour ago, Guest Haha said:

Start boycotting hetero wedding until gay can get married too

You have a good suggestion.  

Gays in Singapore should promote their rights by refusing to attend straight weddings unless same-sex weddings are officially accepted.  

Guest DereLickDick

OMG, $10?! So much?!

I never give hard cash. I ALWAYS buy a pair of toto tickets and put inside.  Please remember it must be 2 tickets (even is auspicious, odd is not).

What I offer is a golden opportunity to strike rich.

Hope it will be a good lesson for wedding couples.  Most weddings involve so many guest and I am quite certain not all guest are their close friends or relatives. So in short, the couple just want to make up numbers so as to have 'face'.

To most of my surrounding people, I made it clear that I do not attend weddings and for sure will not give ang pow.  After a while, words spread and as they do not want to lost money in the wedding, they stop inviting me.  That's how I got my peace. 

But for those whom I am really happy & want to bless them, though not invited, I do give them a decent amount of ang pow which they are usually pretty surprised. 

14 hours ago, Guest Inflation hit hard said:

Wedding dinner, is like asking people for donation.  Once my ex colleagues invited me to their wedding dinner,  I old them not free because I "am out of town".    I ain't close to them, and besides I quitted the job and will not be seeing them again.     Another one is a relative wedding, very distant one. They send invitation but I told them my boss send me for "overseas assignment" on their wedding day, so not free.  Give them small Ang Bao, they will not be happy, so don't attend and don't give at all.

For the above reasons, I hate so many acivities such as these happening in office settings too.  People resign also must foot bill for farewell party,  also birthday gift, then free treat for the junior on lunch gathering.    Imaginve your office have at least 50 workers, every month have to "donate"  out of your pocket. 

i ever got invitation from someone i saw him less than 3 times and spoken less than 20 sentences... what a joke.

i had 2 vendors which we work quite close then.  i been to their office once. these 2 vendor have their separate wedding and i attended both.  both of them place me to sit his colleagues.  so one of their colleague which i saw at both wedding and also maybe in their office which i cannot remember, ask me if i wanna to attend his wedding???? WTF come on i am almost like your friends' friend hardly know you and not even consider acquaintance have the cheek to ask me?? i just bluntly say NO.   

Guest DereLickDick
3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

$10 is not an auspicious number. I normally gave $8.80.

Indeed.  These idiot couples trying to milk off their friends and relatives.  Should start a movement, all put 8.80

Guest DereLickMyDick
9 hours ago, Guest DereLickDick said:

Indeed.  These idiot couples trying to milk off their friends and relatives.  Should start a movement, all put 8.80

Just like you milked the groom and groomsmen.

Ai.. never give money one also got la.. wedding reception nowadays is not profitable anymore .. it's more of a blessing ceremony that you pay them to bless you.. and gathering or food feast party

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest
On 2/16/2023 at 11:47 PM, quanjishou said:

i ever got invitation from someone i saw him less than 3 times and spoken less than 20 sentences... what a joke.

i had 2 vendors which we work quite close then.  i been to their office once. these 2 vendor have their separate wedding and i attended both.  both of them place me to sit his colleagues.  so one of their colleague which i saw at both wedding and also maybe in their office which i cannot remember, ask me if i wanna to attend his wedding???? WTF come on i am almost like your friends' friend hardly know you and not even consider acquaintance have the cheek to ask me?? i just bluntly say NO.   

I'm like that also i.e. Whenever I hear of someone getting married, I will say to myself, "Please don't invite me to your wedding. Please don't invite me to your wedding. Please don't invite me to your wedding . . ."

For me, it's not about the ang pow. It's just that wedding dinners are long, boring, tedious, and stressful affairs, where you are often forced to sit with people whom you may not know or may not like.

And then having to fight for food everytime the next course comes along 🤦‍♂️

And all the while, you have to put on a fake happy face because you don't want to spoil the happy occasion for the couple.

And not to mention that wedding dinners always start late and end late, and you usually can't leave early because it's considered rude to the couple.

So nowadays, unless it's a relative's wedding, otherwise I don't attend wedding dinners anymore.

Guest ffffffff
12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I'm like that also i.e. Whenever I hear of someone getting married, I will say to myself, "Please don't invite me to your wedding. Please don't invite me to your wedding. Please don't invite me to your wedding . . ."

For me, it's not about the ang pow. It's just that wedding dinners are long, boring, tedious, and stressful affairs, where you are often forced to sit with people whom you may not know or may not like.

And then having to fight for food everytime the next course comes along 🤦‍♂️

And all the while, you have to put on a fake happy face because you don't want to spoil the happy occasion for the couple.

And not to mention that wedding dinners always start late and end late, and you usually can't leave early because it's considered rude to the couple.

So nowadays, unless it's a relative's wedding, otherwise I don't attend wedding dinners anymore.

Kind of awkward. And trying experience.😱

Last time there were no smartphones, so one has to continue to look pleasant, twiddle thumbs or take a long time to eat. ,🤣

On 2/16/2023 at 8:19 AM, Guest ffffffff said:

Someone evn claimed to be unemployed, said he cannot afford to give angpow and went to eat free.

I find this topic petty.

As to my knowledge the amount depends on the location. 5 * hotel more than below the void deck of HDB with caterer.

In Malaysia the Chinese couples mostly celebrate at someone's house and save on the money also.

If the couple decides to go to a fancy location why should the guests contribute if it was not their decision to go to any such fancy place.

Not everyone, also from the relatives, has 200 S$ on hand for a wedding ang pao.

In many countries the payment of the location for the wedding celebration with family and friends is on the married couple and their parents but the invited people give gifts for the household.

Just be reminded the giving is not any strict rule or anything.

Being invited doesn't actually mean, you need to pay. This is just customary but not written in black and white.

The presence of the person invited should count and not the money he/she gives.

Guest ffffffff
2 hours ago, singalion said:

I find this topic petty.

As to my knowledge the amount depends on the location. 5 * hotel more than below the void deck of HDB with caterer.

In Malaysia the Chinese couples mostly celebrate at someone's house and save on the money also.

If the couple decides to go to a fancy location why should the guests contribute if it was not their decision to go to any such fancy place.

Not everyone, also from the relatives, has 200 S$ on hand for a wedding ang pao.

In many countries the payment of the location for the wedding celebration with family and friends is on the married couple and their parents but the invited people give gifts for the household.

Just be reminded the giving is not any strict rule or anything.

Being invited doesn't actually mean, you need to pay. This is just customary but not written in black and white.

The presence of the person invited should count and not the money he/she gives.

The topic is petty because you reacted to it.

And your reaction showed you are calculative.

Go Back Malaysia if you cannot afford spore.

Why should someone go back to Malaysia, when he or she has nothing to do with that country?

This asking people to go back somewhere seems a very typical Singaporean reaction, when they face some critic containing valid points or

on being criticised not having a generous heart or on their real character.

There is no strict rule on what to pay as ang pao for any wedding invitation.

It is up to the invited person to decide.

There might be customary expectation but as it says, it is nothing set in stone.

If your relatives from Jurong West are invited and all of them are factory workers and cleaners, as the wedding couple do you expect them to pay

200 S$ per person to attend?

Or in the worst, do you expect them to decline the invitation?

Guest ffffffff
3 minutes ago, singalion said:

Why should someone go back to Malaysia, when he or she has nothing to do with that country?

This asking people to go back somewhere seems a very typical Singaporean reaction, when they face some critic containing valid points or

on being criticised not having a generous heart or on their real character.

There might be customary expectation but as it says, it is nothing set in stone.

If your relatives from Jurong West are invited and all of them are factory workers and cleaners, as the wedding couple do you expect them to pay

200 S$ per person to attend?

Or in the worst, do you expect them to decline the invitation?

There is no fixed rule that everyone and anyone MUST follow YOUR dictates.

Don't be so yau kui or thick skinned say unemployed and then expect free dinner. Just decline invitation politely. 

And it is up to the host also.

Are you the type That give very little? Because the topic seemed to have strick a chord with you. Do you have Malaysian relatives working here as cleaners and/ or factory worker?

You can hold your gay wedding in Malaysia. Just find a partner as cost conscious as you.

What dictates?

25 minutes ago, singalion said:

I clearly say:

It is up to the invited persons and on their free will what to give, whether to attend or not.

Since when is that a "dictate"?

In general terms, if you invite someone, then don't expect any contribution. That is what an invitation stands for.

If you invite someone to something but then expect a money contribution, then your invitation is not honest.

Anyhow, I m not keen to further extend on your attempts to start senseless brawls at this forum.

Edited by singalion

Guest Guest

8 minutes ago, Guest ffffffff said:

There is no fixed rule that everyone and anyone MUST follow YOUR dictates.

Don't be so yau kui or thick skinned say unemployed and then expect free dinner. Just decline invitation politely. 

I ever attended a very good friend's wedding when I had been unemployed for a long time. 

Twice.

Still gave ang pow to the couple.

Think I gave about $80 each time. Would have given more had I had an income.

Guest Guest

I think in such a situation, what I would do (if it were me) is to give a belated wedding ang pow when my financial situation improves.

Just explain honestly that during their wedding, you were financially not doing well, but now you've got more cash, so give now to make up for last time.

I don't think any sane couple would reject your belated wedding ang pow and hold it against you for being broke during their wedding.

Even if the couple has separated by the time you are richer, you should still compensate them back for the wedding dinner. But of course, don't put the money in an ang pow. Just transfer it to them and inform them.

Guest ffffffff
2 minutes ago, singalion said:

What dictates?

I clearly say:

it is up to the invited persons and on their free will what to give, whether to attend or not.

since when is that a "dictate".

In general terms, if you invite someone, then don't expect any contribution. That is what an invitation stands for.

If you invite someone to something but then expect a money contribution, then your invitation is not honest.

Anyhow, I m not keen to further extend on your attempts to start senseless brawls at this forum.

Auntie, have you been living in a cave? Don't know social norms of Chinese weddings?

I myself will not attend a wedding of someone I hardly know. As obviously, I was invited to make up numbers and contribute money.

As for starting brawls, you are the BW number one culprit. And judging by what others say, you are the resident public enemy. 

Because you are too cheap to afford entertainment. So you provoke others.

Trying to have the last word eh? No can do. 

Guest ffffffff
11 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I ever attended a very good friend's wedding when I had been unemployed for a long time. 

Twice.

Still gave ang pow to the couple.

Think I gave about $80 each time. Would have given more had I had an income.

3 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I think in such a situation, what I would do (if it were me) is to give a belated wedding ang pow when my financial situation improves.

Just explain honestly that during their wedding, you were financially not doing well, but now you've got more cash, so give now to make up for last time.

I don't think any sane couple would reject your belated wedding ang pow and hold it against you for being broke during their wedding.

Even if the couple has separated by the time you are richer, you should still compensate them back for the wedding dinner. But of course, don't put the money in an ang pow. Just transfer it to them and inform them.

👍👍

On 2/16/2023 at 9:31 AM, Steve5380 said:

You have a good suggestion.  

Gays in Singapore should promote their rights by refusing to attend straight weddings unless same-sex weddings are officially accepted.  

I do not agree with this suggestion whether it’s a joke or not. Does that mean as gays in Singapore we should never attend a single wedding because they’re all hetero weddings? What about our siblings, cousins or close friends’ weddings? We won’t be there to celebrate this special day with them simply because we don’t get to do the same here in Singapore?

Thats a very petty mindset tbh, some of them are not even against same sex marriage. It’s not their fault that it isn’t legalised here.

Maybe things like this don’t matter to you angmohs but it means a lot over here.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.