Male HQ

Experience of Blood donation in Singapore

Guest Blood donor

Guest Blood donor

Hello BW community,

I would like to ask is anyone donate blood before in Singapore? There is one questionnaire of the medical history asking "If you are a male donor, do you have MSM (man who have sex with me)? On the side note, it states the definition of sex (including vaginal sex, oral sex and anal sex).

For the record, I had NOT engage in any penetrative sex in my life. So by the above definition, I should be able to donate blood. But when the person in charge interview me,  I confess I do involve in non-penetrative sex (like mutual JO and foreplay) in low frequency manner. After hearing that, the person reject me and say I am not eligible as the person I engaged with is a man.

To make matter worse, I need to change my answer for the above question into YES and they also inform me that I will be bar from donating blood in Singapore in future. I completely disagree as I never engage in penetrative sex before and they should keep my record in this manner. Therefore, I verbally agree and commit to the nurse that I will no longer coming back for blood donation in Singapore, and I will tick a NO for that question. Then I left without donating a single drop of blood.

Does anyone encounter such experience before? How to they define term "sex" in this case and decide whether we can donate or not?

It’s an old regulation where volunteer in AFA also have doubts with it.

the moment you honestly declare you have sex with another man, no matter how clean your blood status is, they will reject you.

So if you like to be kind to go for blood donation, what you can do is always have your blood test for hiv before the next window open (or any other similar test at a go) , then subsequent go for the donation. But “at the risk of” doing unlawful declaration during the questionnaire.

the choice is always yours. Not encouraging, but it’s your own decision afterall.

Edited by Bahamut LGH

Guest Blood donor

Actually is more on their definition of "sex", the guideline in questionnare only limited to the 3 penetrative sex above to bar you from donate. But the volunteer appear to interpret as whatever activity u done with man is counted as MSM. So yes is still confusing to me. 

Guest Guest

I tried to give blood but when I put down that I engaged in anal sex (protected) with my long term partner, I was told that all gay guys are automatically not allowed to give blood. I got quite pissed off and asked the doctor why such blatant discrimination, especially when this standard does not apply equally to straight guys who might screw around with many women. The doctor, to her credit, did sound apologetic and said that as a rule, they have to treat all gay guys as engaging in high risk behavior and that the risk of accepting blood from gay guys is just too high. I suppose I can see where they are coming from. So yeah, if you do want to donate blood, you can say no, but be warned, all blood that is donated is tested and if you are found to have an STD, they will investigate and you can end up in jail for breaking the law. Not worth it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest Finding Excuses

On the topic of blood donation, sometimes we face peer pressure to donate.  What is a good medical reasons/excuse to use to avoid donating as sometimes, friends and colleagues can be quite nosey

Guest Guest

Easy, just say you are feeling unwell on the day and you will be excused from giving blood. Or worst case, you can just donate and call within 24 hours and declare your blood is not safe to use. You don’t need to give a reason

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 7:12 PM, Guest Guest said:

I tried to give blood but when I put down that I engaged in anal sex (protected) with my long term partner, I was told that all gay guys are automatically not allowed to give blood. I got quite pissed off and asked the doctor why such blatant discrimination, especially when this standard does not apply equally to straight guys who might screw around with many women. The doctor, to her credit, did sound apologetic and said that as a rule, they have to treat all gay guys as engaging in high risk behavior and that the risk of accepting blood from gay guys is just too high. I suppose I can see where they are coming from. So yeah, if you do want to donate blood, you can say no, but be warned, all blood that is donated is tested and if you are found to have an STD, they will investigate and you can end up in jail for breaking the law. Not worth it

Aiyah,, gays blood are holy . Others dont deserve our blood la. Many gays are highy educated,  holding high positions n well behave. Unlike straight, born to suffer supporting lousy wives n hopeless kids. Let them donate blood to each other n live shamelessly.  😂

• 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.