Male HQ

Dvd-r Or Dvd+r

Guest Guest

hello everyone, i will like to know which is better, DVD-R or DVD+R ?? i have bough some injet printable DVD+R (TDK) and the quality not very good, 2 got distorted or jammed playback out of 25 pieces, btw, which brand is better and cheaper ??

Theres a hell lot of information on this from wikipedia and hardwarezone. For your sake, I will quote hardwarezoner MacClipper s reply in 2004 on this issue.

DVD Media choice - choosing between Dash (-) vs Plus (+) formats

A short intro and summary of present state of the media technology and not meant to be exhaustive or the last word on it. Opinion is all mine so take it at its face value and all its bias but remember, always use quality media or not at all.

Dash (-) media [called minus by its detractors and noobs]

Older format so supported by older readers eg. standalone, 2x DVDROM

tend to be cheaper for the same speed

good media found more readily locally eg. Taiyo Yuden, MCC stuff

presently maxxed at 8x speed only

supports simulation mode

Plus (+) media

Newer format so may not be supported by older pre-2002 machines BUT... supports bitsetting (booktyping)

1st with dual layer technology

supports CAV so faster speed potential

already hit 16x speeds

Final choice will always be a balance of price (impt), quality (impt) and speed performace (not as impt) so for now I use 4x@8x -R TY media ($2.20/pc, 9.5 mins), 8x@12x +R Ricoh media ($3.60/pc, 7+ mins) and 4x+RW Philips media ($4/pc, 15 mins) for my DVD burner collection. Not using any DL media presently cos it offers too little bang per buck for now (slow, ex and scarce).

And which burner I use will depend on the media cos fortunately, I have a range of dual format burners to choose from.

Enjoy.

Last edited by MacClipper : 02-09-2004 at 09:00 AM.

Personally, you should NOT buy printable DVDRs for backing up your data. Having the recordable surface being in close contact with the printing surface is a bad idea. It brings up the often argued oil-based vs water-based vs alcohol-based markers for labeling the DVDRs.

Better? Taiyo Yuden MIJs (made in Japan). Now extinct I think. I still have about 8 such boxes of these.

Cheaper? A1, Smartbuy. Auto-self destructs the moment you finish recording. James bond technology.

Better and Cheaper? TDK, Imation, Verbatim.

You would find much more info on HWZ

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/forumdisplay.php?f=73

i believed that DVD-R or DVD+R is the write once type of DVD, i am only using for burning pictures and movies and i prefer using inkjet printer to print the label directly onto the printable surface of the DVD, it is so convenience, fast and pretty after completed compared to the trouble using label paper which sometimes has very lousy sticking problem and it came out after sometimes.

i am searching brand with better quality (100% burnable) but lower price DVD-R & DVD+R... i know sim lim 6th has a shop which sells them but they only has TDK which i had used it and 2 bad out of 25 pieces.

guest, you still don't get my point.

The recordable part, where all your precious data are stored, is held in the reflective layer you see from the underside of the disc. This reflective layer is the very same layer you see on the top of the disc. You can use a penknife and scratch this thin film away from the top of the disc. In doing so, you have damaged the data.

There are hordes of people out there who dont know this, and go on happily writing, labeling, or printing stuff on the top part of the disc, not thinking of what their actions will do to the thin film. Many use oil based markers, of which the oil will seep into the data film and destroy whatever you have recorded. Others stick labels onto the discs. After some years, the adhesive eats into the data layer, very much like how old scotch tape leaves a permanent mark on your stuff even after you peel it off. Again, your data is damaged.

I don't know what effect ink from the printer has on the data layer. I don't think the media manufacturers give a shit either. They just make what the market wants, not being concerned about the long term effects. Consumers can't sue them over media anyway.

Just my point of view. I still have entire booklets of defective CDs with my oil-based marker labeling, some Smartbuy media which decided to disintegrate, and some self-destruct media which only lasts for the moment the burn is declared completed. Experience is a good teacher.

Edited by silversailorduo

i am searching brand with better quality (100% burnable) but lower price DVD-R & DVD+R... i know sim lim 6th has a shop which sells them but they only has TDK which i had used it and 2 bad out of 25 pieces.

In my experience the best printable (25pcs/50pcs) DVD-R / DVD+R are made by Sony. It is very hard tp find them these days thou. Use to get mine from Harvey Norman in Novena SQ - a little expensive but they were the best especially for movies. They don't seem to have stock these days.

Now I use an alternative - HP Printable DVD-R which is available from Funan Mall - shop called South Asia something...

KODAK Printable DVD-R also not bad but cannot remember where I got them from.

TDK, Verbertim and other brands always have skips and errors!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.