Male HQ

City planner / builder games

22 hours ago, LeGrad said:

Yo!

Any peeps here into city building games (city skylines, farthest frontier, etc?)

Love both of those and cant wait for Farthest Frontier to reach full release. My unhealthy obsession with city builders consumes a lot of gaming hours.

How about Anno 1800? Or something little darker - Frostpunk? Or quirky - Tropico 6?

There are soooo many, haha!

2 hours ago, Atram said:

Love both of those and cant wait for Farthest Frontier to reach full release. My unhealthy obsession with city builders consumes a lot of gaming hours.

How about Anno 1800? Or something little darker - Frostpunk? Or quirky - Tropico 6?

Eh, I didn’t realise farthest frontiers is not in full release mode. I’m currently trying to figure out how to produce enough shoes for my city. 

I’ve been meaning to try the tropico franchise… is it any good? 

Used to have City Skylines, but found it a bit troublesome to use.

Many years ago used to play Sim City 2000. That was a tad easier.

Are there any free options available online these days?

@cycle25 strangely enough, whilst I don’t play city skylines as often as I used to, I would watch YouTube videos of peeps fixing traffic when I’m doing solo meals. It’s strangely therapeutic.

2 hours ago, LeGrad said:

@cycle25 strangely enough, whilst I don’t play city skylines as often as I used to, I would watch YouTube videos of peeps fixing traffic when I’m doing solo meals. It’s strangely therapeutic.

I do the same to be honest. The game is bit broken without mods when it comes to traffic simulation. And the people “out there” are always way smarter at figuring out stuff, so I enjoy the fixing show.

Regardless, have my hopes up for Cities: Skylines 2 that should be released later this year.

4 hours ago, LeGrad said:

Eh, I didn’t realise farthest frontiers is not in full release mode. I’m currently trying to figure out how to produce enough shoes for my city. 

I’ve been meaning to try the tropico franchise… is it any good? 

Yep, Farthest Frontier is in early access mode. So far the full release has not been announced (unless I missed it somewhere)

Tropico is unique because of used humor and general writing, but otherwise it is solid city builder but it may not click with you. You are represented as El Presidente in the game world and you have to stay in power and survive elections for example. The game is more playful in the whole dictatorship element and Caribbean setting. You can get it either on sale to test it out, or check some youtube vids to give you a better idea.

On 5/28/2023 at 2:32 PM, radiusulnar said:

prefer cities skylines to simcity

I want to make a shirt with the words “LANE MATHEMATICS”. 

#iykyk

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 11:54 AM, LeGrad said:

I want to make a shirt with the words “LANE MATHEMATICS”. 

#iykyk

Biffa ❤️

I love C:S and I play it from time to time. Only downside is it makes my CPU scream at me as it burns lmao

I got my city pop up to 200+k before with a few extensions and the game there was just stuck to CRAWLING speed

2 hours ago, ivanl said:

Biffa ❤️

I love C:S and I play it from time to time. Only downside is it makes my CPU scream at me as it burns lmao

I got my city pop up to 200+k before with a few extensions and the game there was just stuck to CRAWLING speed

For years, I held off from playing the latest SimCity coz my old computer coudlnt handle it. Then yeara again later waited until I could afford another upgrade to play City Skylines. 

19 hours ago, FlippantMount said:

I am into such games. But then I saw that the new Cities Skylines is only available for PC.... and I game on the Mac.... 

The first entry was available for most platform...

:swear:

Soon. Sooooonnnnnn……

12 hours ago, cycle25 said:

Unfortunately unable to login to my Steam account despite reset-ing the password. Anyone encountered that before?

Have you tried reaching out to their user support? I forgot my password after months of inactivity and they were able to reset for me. It only took few email rounds to confirm my identity.

6 minutes ago, Atram said:

Have you tried reaching out to their user support? I forgot my password after months of inactivity and they were able to reset for me. It only took few email rounds to confirm my identity.

Thanks, I got it to work again finally. That was an interesting ride for sure, haha. I think I must have reset it like 4 or 5 times.

• 3 months later...
On 10/21/2023 at 9:13 PM, radiusulnar said:

oh no. the minimum spec for CS2 is so much higher than my PC. now worried cannot play when released

i read a review somewhere calling the game “an asmathic three-legged hippo”. Now I’m sed.

Been playing the game since release as I am lucky to have powerful hardware, but must say the optimalization is all over the place, sometimes there are lot of visual bugs, such as missing textures and random geometry failures and of course random fps drops. But to be honest, this I can stomach because hopefully patches will iron it out eventually. 

I am little bit disappointed with the progression system though. Once you get to a certain milestone, the following ones do not technically unlock anything new. Maybe I am just spoiled with all the things that are available in CS1 with all the DLCs...

since i pre-ordered it, i decided to try playing on my ancient hardware. it is relatively playable on a gtx 1060 with low settings for graphics. i realised that most types i play the game while paused and then only let it run to see the effects of my zoning/building before pausing again to make adjustments. so low fps does not really bother me. hopefully i will be able to get a newer machine with 13th month bonus

I’ve tried to play the city skylines 2 game in between my appointments- I do love the graphics, I was a bit stumped with the electricity game mechanics. Also, why are the power stations so big???!!!

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2023 at 9:08 AM, Atram said:

I recently got into Anno 1800 and damn it's like a game one needs to play for a long-term sort of thing. Not possible to play it all in a go.

23 hours ago, DiDing said:

I recently got into Anno 1800 and damn it's like a game one needs to play for a long-term sort of thing. Not possible to play it all in a go.

Did you get any of the DLCs? They may make the game little overwhelming if you are not familiar with the series. 

If yes, you can always disable them for the first play through! 

9 minutes ago, Atram said:

Did you get any of the DLCs? They may make the game little overwhelming if you are not familiar with the series. 

If yes, you can always disable them for the first play through! 

I was just trying the original game without the DLCs but then I am also quite new to such series of fully city building strategy games so I kinda do small changes at a time so as to not upset my revenue in the game and man I do spend hours and hours to try out new things. It is enjoyable tho 

3 minutes ago, DiDing said:

I was just trying the original game without the DLCs but then I am also quite new to such series of fully city building strategy games so I kinda do small changes at a time so as to not upset my revenue in the game and man I do spend hours and hours to try out new things. It is enjoyable tho 

Oh, I love the game… have unhealthy number of hours in it, spending hours on something and being constantly distracted by other stuff.

It is the kind of game for me, when I just plan to do few more things and suddenly is 4am in the morning and I have only 2 hours of sleep before work.

Another way how to make the game less manic is to disable NPCs and pirates so you are not forced to keep track of everything and just focus on economy or beauty building (let alone the fact that they cheat a bit).

On 1/30/2024 at 7:59 PM, Atram said:

Oh, I love the game… have unhealthy number of hours in it, spending hours on something and being constantly distracted by other stuff.

It is the kind of game for me, when I just plan to do few more things and suddenly is 4am in the morning and I have only 2 hours of sleep before work.

Another way how to make the game less manic is to disable NPCs and pirates so you are not forced to keep track of everything and just focus on economy or beauty building (let alone the fact that they cheat a bit).

Totally feel you, I was just planning setting up a new island and wham, 5-6hrs have passed and I am doing multiple things in a go.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:43 PM, DiDing said:

Totally feel you, I was just planning setting up a new island and wham, 5-6hrs have passed and I am doing multiple things in a go.

And still that is only the beginning, haha. 

As I am not sure if you got any DLC, I would suggest you to get at least The Sunken Treasures one. It comes with a big central landmass, ideal for your “capital” and with enough space to try all kinds of layouts and builds (plus hidden easter egg hiking trail for you to explore in the first person mode).

3 hours ago, Atram said:

And still that is only the beginning, haha. 

As I am not sure if you got any DLC, I would suggest you to get at least The Sunken Treasures one. It comes with a big central landmass, ideal for your “capital” and with enough space to try all kinds of layouts and builds (plus hidden easter egg hiking trail for you to explore in the first person mode).

Oh man there is stuff in 1st person mode too. If I get it it’s that close to be similar to selling my soul to the devil.

4 hours ago, DiDing said:

Oh man there is stuff in 1st person mode too. If I get it it’s that close to be similar to selling my soul to the devil.

Try ctrl + shift + r and see for yourself. 

I mean the mode itself is kinda easter egg, the resolution and models do not do too well in such a close scrutiny, but it opens access to even more easter eggs and even some quests that are only available in the first person mode, haha.

1 hour ago, Atram said:

Try ctrl + shift + r and see for yourself. 

I mean the mode itself is kinda easter egg, the resolution and models do not do too well in such a close scrutiny, but it opens access to even more easter eggs and even some quests that are only available in the first person mode, haha.

I love watching the playthroughs on YouTube- the content creators really know how to make the game exciting. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.